Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Frog Act posted:

is this because it has a single Black person not playing an orc? GF and I have been rewatching the movies for the first time in like a decade and the weirdly white cast is much more noticeable to me now then when I was like 12 and they first came out. I know it’s a trite and common criticism but even with the races of men the only ones that are even slightly dusky and coded as North African are just evil baddies motivated by doing exotic oriental despotisms

tbh It didn't bug me that some ancient europe-like place based on ancient european religion was filled with the white man but the "foreign bad humans" being non white was really tacky

edit: idk if the orcs were coded non-white or non-human in the mind of the designers and casting directors b/c they do have tribal poo poo and are the only non white cast members

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its a huge missed opportunity/gently caress up for amazon if they dont flesh out the easterlings

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I mean, just look at the King Kong remake if you want to side-eye Peter Jackson about race.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

its a huge missed opportunity/gently caress up for amazon if they dont flesh out the easterlings

I don't see how they couldn't at least give them some screen time if the forging of the rings are a central plot point

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fleetwood posted:

elves act like they're above it all but I think they're all out freaks in private. there's probably elven cenobites out there

that's basically just every setting's 'dark elves'

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I don't see how they couldn't at least give them some screen time if the forging of the rings are a central plot point

he doesn’t give the rings to any easterlings til way after they’re forged, like centuries later. they might move up the timeline but they don’t get any rings before Celebrimbor gets pwnt

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I mean, just look at the King Kong remake if you want to side-eye Peter Jackson about race.

love those white extras dressed as LOTR orcs to depict the island natives

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

he doesn’t give the rings to any easterlings til way after they’re forged, like centuries later. they might move up the timeline but they don’t get any rings before Celebrimbor gets pwnt

who are the men that get the rings and become nazgul? I know one of thems an Easterling 🤔

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

thatfatkid posted:

who are the men that get the rings and become nazgul? I know one of thems an Easterling 🤔

I don't think he's one but The witch king of angmar had better be a phrase that gets repeated a thousand times

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

boba fett isnt as bad as I thought it would be. Temuera is having fun and the 2nd ep had some great moments.

1st and 3rd are bad tho and make me wonder if Rodriguez should direct anything anymore. i'll assume it has something to do with being a control freak and not delegating to people who know how to make action look good

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Durf posted:

boba fett isnt as bad as I thought it would be. Temuera is having fun and the 2nd ep had some great moments.

1st and 3rd are bad tho and make me wonder if Rodriguez should direct anything anymore. i'll assume it has something to do with being a control freak and not delegating to people who know how to make action look good

The action in alita was great , was that Rodriguez just relying on James Cameron's old storyboards or something

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thatfatkid posted:

nameless “evil hearted men” who went on to become sorcerers and kings in the east, probably recruited from there too given their long-standing thralldom and service to Morgoth

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

The action in alita was great , was that Rodriguez just relying on James Cameron's old storyboards or something

I'm assuming the CGI team handled everything based on his notes/storyboards/flailing.

In Boba it seems like he's trying to do everything in camera which isn't the best if you're trying to make speeders or a 60 year old look fast. The edits are weird and laggy feeling too.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

also re: film/TV adaptations of books, my wife is insanely well-read and hated all of them until.... amazon's Reacher. she reads tons of smarty books but has a thing for pulp and thinks the show nails the source material (escapist trash).

I for one think the action is a lot more brutal and better choreographed than in the terrible trailers, which made it look like a Hallmark film. And deliberate or not the Reacher actor has a stilted autistic sociopath thing going on which makes him more than pure tough guy fantasy. Also Guillermo from the funny vampire show plays the coroner.

mostly I'm just waiting to see what they do with Herzog's character from the film, and if we see any on-screen allusion to Reacher's MONSTER HOG.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I didn’t even know that was a book but yeah it will be hard to top the herzog villain. I cant think of another modern action villain with the pathos of that “eat your own finger” scene.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

indigi posted:

nameless “evil hearted men” who went on to become sorcerers and kings in the east, probably recruited from there too given their long-standing thralldom and service to Morgoth

three of them were Numenoreans who were part of the cult of Morgoth, but the Witch King's origins are a mystery.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

what’s the mystery? he was a witch, and he was the king of angmar.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

TheSlutPit posted:

I didn’t even know that was a book but yeah it will be hard to top the herzog villain. I cant think of another modern action villain with the pathos of that “eat your own finger” scene.

“Always the bullet. I don’t understand.”

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
you have to wonder if the grey havens is all that if the five wizards show up on middle earth and immediately get distracted by pipe weed, animals, and whatever the hell the blue wizards got into.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Dreylad posted:

you have to wonder if the grey havens is all that if the five wizards show up on middle earth and immediately get distracted by pipe weed, animals, and whatever the hell the blue wizards got into.

tolkien subconsciously realizing heaven would be boring as gently caress, like any good catholic

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Who is better the Bobo Fett or the Mandalorian?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
https://twitter.com/marvel_n3ws/status/1491841685113954309

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

:ok:

edit: oic

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Watchmen (Alan Moore, 1987)

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

smarxist posted:

:ok:

edit: oic

she’s gonna be woman Thor for 20 minutes and then leave to avoid the grinder that’s the mcu

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Natalie Portman looks perplexed by this story detail.

Is this a reliable account or are you just trolling because this is a funny idea?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

jane thor had cancer in the comic so they have to just give it to her somehow i guess

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
If she had regular cancer she'd just become Deadpool.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Durf posted:

tolkien subconsciously realizing heaven would be boring as gently caress, like any good catholic

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

smarxist posted:

i thought he stayed pretty good after Dark Tower

Duma Key was a stand out great book, also 11/22/63 is amazing

edit:
we'll never get anything like The Regulators again, sigh

quoting a 3 week old post to say i was baffled by this and spent the week listening to the regulators and desperation because i needed some king to kill some time

and i realized that I had these books backwards in my head for the last two decades because I hadn't come back to them

regulators rules and desperation was a slog and I was doing Bachmann dirty this whole time

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah for sure, i read them back to back and enjoyed both, but desperation kinda never hit its stride where as regulators was a loving acid trip from start to finish lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Is the amazon show going to be better or worse than the Hobbit movies?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

so in the process of resurrecting everyone Tony Stark gave innumerable people fatal diseases. seems like a massive fuckup

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

smarxist posted:

oh yeah for sure, i read them back to back and enjoyed both, but desperation kinda never hit its stride where as regulators was a loving acid trip from start to finish lol

yeah usually going whole hog like that in a book kills the pacing but he managed the creeping dread in the audrey/seth flashbacks pretty well and something about the way king does squalid houses really adds a lot to those parts

although he reused the entirety of the seth/tak interactions later in the dark tower with susannah lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Is the amazon show going to be better or worse than the Hobbit movies?

well if Wheel of Time adaption is any indication at Amazon's ability to do good adaptations, it's probably worse.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ughhhh posted:

Anyone watched the new Kingsman yet? Lmao. The new Kingsman has a scene after the good guys kill off Rasputin, where the big bad shadowy evil man angry at Rasputin's death, calls up Lenin to start the revolution to destroy all good in the world. Lenin's line is "when I'm successful, your problem will be finding my equal to balance from the right".

Also the Kingsmen are the good guys because they have a girl boss and a token minority, and they start every conversation with acknowledging the stolen lands and genocide the English have committed (but won't do anything about it).

holy moley this was so bad i didn't finish it. not in just an offensive way, just in a movie way.

rasputin owned tho

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I might watch the show for just the first two episodes.

https://twitter.com/LOTRUpdates/status/1491868015167787014

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I think you were going to watch, and post about it endlessly itt regardless of how good or bad it is.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why not just make that the loving show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

doing a star wars text crawl for the whole Silmarillion in 3 hours