Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SolusLunes posted:

Completely realized I didn't know the answer to this question, since I'm generally a windows admin, but-

what does the linux world use for directory services? Which one sucks the least? I never really gave it any thought until today.
LDAP, because it's a vendor-neutral protocol that even Microsoft encourages you to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Active Directory is built on LDAP and Kerberos, both of which are available on Linux and BSD. If you want a more integrated/turnkey solution similar to AD there is FreeIPA.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

SolusLunes posted:

Completely realized I didn't know the answer to this question, since I'm generally a windows admin, but-

what does the linux world use for directory services? Which one sucks the least? I never really gave it any thought until today.

Chef synchronizing ssh private keys from git to servers

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Anyone have experience troubleshooting network manager? I recently torched a bunch of VMs I had running on a host and migrated all the services / containers to the host to just run via podman... I've noticed now that my network devices seem to be resetting somehow, specifically jellyfin when streaming content and I hadn't touched the network stack on this thing in years. I think libvirt was possibly doing... something..? as I was getting some bogus start - fail - stop messages in the journal about some of the old networks I had setup for the VMs at the same time videos would freeze and I'd get a websocket closed message from jellyfin. I guess it didn't like not having a machine assigned to it...?

I disabled those networks from trying to auto connect in NM which addressed that but then I'm still getting phantom resets and nothing else in the logs besides the closed web sockets (and crashing streams).

My physical devices are setup as bridges as it was convenient for the VMs but I'm wondering if that's somehow not playing well with podman? Any other ideas?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

Active Directory is built on LDAP and Kerberos, both of which are available on Linux and BSD. If you want a more integrated/turnkey solution similar to AD there is FreeIPA.
There's also YPNIS! :science:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I need a hand with Linux kernel moon magic programming. I've vmalloc'd a buffer > 4k just fine, but I panic with a page fault as soon as I touch index 4096 (aka "the 4097th" element) which would take me over into a new page. I figured that out with a slow-rear end for-loop copy. This doesn't seem to be a readily-documented thing or else I just suck at googling it. I figured this would be a regular enough occurrence that stuff would come up right away. What the heck could cause it to be a problem then?

This is in a kernel module inside an ioctl handling routine. I'm experimenting with a dynamic array and the copy happens for a reallocation on it.

Edit: It a big oof on my part. I was copying assuming the new, larger size and I'd go off the end of the source buffer. It just happened the source buffer was 4k when it would exploded every time.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 10, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Mr. Crow posted:

Anyone have experience troubleshooting network manager? I recently torched a bunch of VMs I had running on a host and migrated all the services / containers to the host to just run via podman... I've noticed now that my network devices seem to be resetting somehow, specifically jellyfin when streaming content and I hadn't touched the network stack on this thing in years. I think libvirt was possibly doing... something..? as I was getting some bogus start - fail - stop messages in the journal about some of the old networks I had setup for the VMs at the same time videos would freeze and I'd get a websocket closed message from jellyfin. I guess it didn't like not having a machine assigned to it...?

I disabled those networks from trying to auto connect in NM which addressed that but then I'm still getting phantom resets and nothing else in the logs besides the closed web sockets (and crashing streams).

My physical devices are setup as bridges as it was convenient for the VMs but I'm wondering if that's somehow not playing well with podman? Any other ideas?
I had a problem with dhcpcd stopping to work when docker created too many virtual network devices. about a year ago. The machine wasn't even running network manager iirc.
The various network stacks ended up doing all sorts of restarts, and the machine even became unreachable sometimes. The solution was to blacklist the virtual devices in dhcpct.conf.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SolusLunes posted:

ldap, generally. AD not uncommonly

E: I should refresh sometimes

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's also YPNIS! :science:

And Hesiod! :okboomer:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

VictualSquid posted:

I had a problem with dhcpcd stopping to work when docker created too many virtual network devices. about a year ago. The machine wasn't even running network manager iirc.
The various network stacks ended up doing all sorts of restarts, and the machine even became unreachable sometimes. The solution was to blacklist the virtual devices in dhcpct.conf.

Yea that was similar to an idea I had with NM but haven't looked into it much yet. Thanks for the idea

I'm suspecting now it might actually be my router which would explain the lack of identifiable logging. I noticed while using iperf that when on the original subnet every so often but pretty regularly it would have to retr packets hundreds of times, and also it would choke transmission down to 50-60 MBits a second instead of being near gigabit. I moved the container onto the other ETH device to be on the same lan and take out the router and now it works as I suspect.

I wonder if I hosed up suricata or something recently or why the router chokes so bad on that, though its baffling this wasn't an issue till now

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Maybe this belongs more in the BSD thread (lol) but like clockwork my router and specifically suricata were completely making GBS threads the bed today and choking my router... Disabled it on all but one interface (the only one not a vlan and running inline, rest of the interfaces were legacy) and networking has started working again...

Do any of y'all run snort/suricata at the house? Feel like I spend more time janitoring them then they actually do anything that wouldn't have otherwise been handled between general firewall rules and pfblocker.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Serious question here: how come so many Linux distros still require a lot of typing to get something installed that's not in a repository? Surely double clicking and running through an install routine is easier for the majority of people?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Because a lot of the people who maintain these distros are arseholes and actively hostile to making things like that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

A few things:

You may want to use the "q35" machine type instead of the default "pc" (i440FX). To be honest I don't know what practical differences there are here but that's what's recommended for anything modern despite it not actually being default.

I mean, the intel 440FX chipset is, apparently, from 1996 and was for the Pentium Pro. It's old enough to vote. It's old enough to become a Congressman, even. And it doesn't have PCI-Express, which I can see causing issues these days.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Serious question here: how come so many Linux distros still require a lot of typing to get something installed that's not in a repository? Surely double clicking and running through an install routine is easier for the majority of people?

For every FOSS coder who enjoys creating friendly GUI tools, there are twenty FOSS coders who enjoy trying to solve the dependency management problem from scratch.

So package managers don't get a GUI until they're as big as apt, rpm, or flatpak.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

feedmegin posted:

I mean, the intel 440FX chipset is, apparently, from 1996 and was for the Pentium Pro. It's old enough to vote. It's old enough to become a Congressman, even. And it doesn't have PCI-Express, which I can see causing issues these days.
If memory serves, Q35 was chosen because it was a bigger step-up from its predecessor (which targeted the Pentium 4) in that Q35 targeted the Core 2 series, but still kept the more traditional layout where the CPU is attached to the Northbridge which includes the iGPU, memory controller, and has the memory hanging off it in addition to connecting to the Southbridge.
The P45 was also the last chipset to feature the Northbridge+Southbridge design, as P55 Express integrated the memory controller and iGPU into the CPU itself and hung the memory directly off the CPU (which was also a brand new design not based on the P6 microarchitecture).

Finally, the Q35 was probably a lot better documented.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

WattsvilleBlues posted:

In Fedora and I think most major distros if you double click an RPM or whatever the distro's Software app pops up and asks if you want to install it. Click Okay and you are done.

Which distro and software are you trying to install?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Basically because the software creators don't bother to package their software with an installer that will work with any possible Linux distribution. Fundamentally the problem is that distros are way too varied and numerous, packaging your software for all of them would require impossible amount of effort. So the practical solution has been that you create a software that is good enough that the different distros would want to include it, and one of their volunteers will package it and add it to their repository. The irony of Linux is that if a software is included in the distro's standard repos, installing it was so trivial and reliable that Windows and Mac OS have gotten close only with their modern app stores. But if the distro doesn't include the software, then installing it would be such a hassle it's better to give.

Just this week I created my very own RPM package for RHEL8. Very simple package, just drops a dozen files in a single directory, doesn't do anything else. And I've spent hours trying to figure out the correct format and options for the SPEC-file, been completely flummoxed why rpmbuild complains that tar is unable to unpack the text files I'm trying to package. And if I wanted to do the same with Ubuntu I would have to deal with completely different obstacles.

That is actually the answer to my question about RHEL8 app streams few months back. The solution my team decided on is to drop a bunch of configuration files in /etc/dnf/modules.defaults.d/ to set the default version for different streams. The content of the files is like:

code:
document: modulemd-defaults
version: 1
data:
 module: postgresql
 stream: 12

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This is why flatpaks are so great. They just work on any distro and handle all the dependencies themselves.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

feedmegin posted:

Well sure, you wouldn't want to try to run anything modern on an actual i440FX, but running Linux under QEMU with KVM and most of the drivers are using virtio anyways I'm not sure what the practical difference between "pc" and "q35" actually is. When I last ran QEMU I tried both I didn't notice any functional differences at the time.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is why flatpaks are so great. They just work on any distro and handle all the dependencies themselves.

The instructions to add flathub, the most popular flatpak source, are all command line.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

waffle iron posted:

The instructions to add flathub, the most popular flatpak source, are all command line.

On fedora you can download a repository file and run it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

That's what I did.

https://flatpak.org/setup/Fedora

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

waffle iron posted:

I feel like if this is a complaint, you might be using the wrong operating system. Linux is a cli driven OS, and as such a GUI interface is an afterthought.

Its a terrible desktop OS as a result, but we gave up on hoping for widespread linux desktops a decade ago when I began to understand the community more, and believe in my ideals less. Its an excellent server OS specifically because the GUI is an afterthought, so there isn't anything you actually need it for(unless you run netbackup, apparently)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Desktop linux is garbage and I gave up on it a long time ago. I've been running the OS for dang close to 30 years now and for about two thirds of that it's been server only for me. Before it was because X11 was so horrible to live with literally anything else was an improvement. Now it's because Windows and OSX are pretty comfortable to do work in. OSX is my first choice but with WSL Windows has gotten pretty good too.

Props to the people that are happy with a linux desktop but I ain't one of them. :v:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Yeah. Linux is just bad at desktops, much as I love KDE, its just a pretty skin for my terminal and a place for firefox to live

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I just switched to kde from windows as a relative novice to Linux and honestly I'm legitimately loving it.

It doesn't have the same level of "just works" out of the box, but it feels way too polished and good to call it an afterthought, either, and I am a certified Linux moron.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

I feel like if this is a complaint, you might be using the wrong operating system. Linux is a cli driven OS, and as such a GUI interface is an afterthought.

Its a terrible desktop OS as a result, but we gave up on hoping for widespread linux desktops a decade ago when I began to understand the community more, and believe in my ideals less. Its an excellent server OS specifically because the GUI is an afterthought, so there isn't anything you actually need it for(unless you run netbackup, apparently)

I've barely needed the CLI for Fedora. Honestly I think the only time I used it for my desktop (and not for managing a server on the network over SSH) was to force delete a locked directory, and I probably could have solved that with a reboot to unlock it first if I'd really cared to.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I don't think being a good desktop means you literally shouldn't ever have to open a terminal. Sure, Windows doesn't make you do that anymore, but some advanced administrative tasks in Windows require navigating GUI options that are just as arcane and opaque if you don't already know what you're doing. In that sense, I think copy and pasting a command from a wiki into a terminal is no worse.

But sure, if you're primarily a GUI user and you find yourself having to open a terminal daily then it's not achieving your goals, that's certainly true.

Also my primary desktops have been Chromeboxes/Chromebooks for the better part of a decade, so I think that makes me generally in agreement with the "Linux is bad at desktops" thing, but this particular reason isn't why.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Mega Comrade posted:

And now I think it's even included by default, or maybe a checkbox in GNOME Software

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

xzzy posted:

Desktop linux is garbage and I gave up on it a long time ago. I've been running the OS for dang close to 30 years now and for about two thirds of that it's been server only for me. Before it was because X11 was so horrible to live with literally anything else was an improvement. Now it's because Windows and OSX are pretty comfortable to do work in. OSX is my first choice but with WSL Windows has gotten pretty good too.

Props to the people that are happy with a linux desktop but I ain't one of them. :v:

DE is bloat anyway. Just use i3 window manager with the i3-rust statusbar. I haven't felt the need for a DE for years. Just set up hotkeys for opening programs with fuzzy find, and use terminal for everything else.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Gadfly posted:

DE is bloat anyway. Just use i3 window manager with the i3-rust statusbar. I haven't felt the need for a DE for years. Just set up hotkeys for opening programs with fuzzy find, and use terminal for everything else.

love me some kde, but this approach is quickly becoming preferred.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Last time I ran linux on a desktop I used jwm, it was definitely better than a desktop environment but I just never got comfortable. It's not the window manager either, I've done the wm hunt like everyone else has and tried them all.

I'm just locked into the thinking that linux is a server OS and I shouldn't be running desktops on it. :v:

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Well a lot of that stems from the old days of doing everything from the command line.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I dont know why people would argue that cli commands that give you error messages in your language of choice or config files that are plain text files are worse than the windows philosophy of editing the registry with a hack you got from a WindowXpertz.com community expert post from 2009 and then it just doesn't work.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

The Gadfly posted:

This is what I do as well. At first it took some getting used to... like when I switched to i3 without knowing it was all keyboard driven. I had no idea how to open an application or what keys to press so I was stuck on the desktop just wondering wtf I was doing. I finally looked up the key bindings on my phone only to find out they all used the windows/command key by default.... which my IBM model m did not have. That was funny.

I actually like using the CLI for most things now and feel like my OS is just the way I want it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xzzy posted:

Last time I ran linux on a desktop I used jwm, it was definitely better than a desktop environment but I just never got comfortable. It's not the window manager either, I've done the wm hunt like everyone else has and tried them all.

I'm just locked into the thinking that linux is a server OS and I shouldn't be running desktops on it. :v:

the only reason I will maintain a linux desktop is because it makes my job as a linux engineer easier, since it has better tools built in for interacting with the remote machines than windows, and it isn't OSX(god I hate OSX with a passion)

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Every time this conversation comes up a whole bunch of people say desktop Linux is awful and I just look at the Manjaro desktop I've been running for a year and a half and shrug. My day to day experience as a desktop user is pretty good and I rarely have to use a cli.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

unimportantguy posted:

Every time this conversation comes up a whole bunch of people say desktop Linux is awful and I just look at the Manjaro desktop I've been running for a year and a half and shrug. My day to day experience as a desktop user is pretty good and I rarely have to use a cli.
While I use Fedora I guess I'm in the camp of stupid here as well. Been running linux as a desktop for the better part of a decade after rebooting back/forth between it and windows for gaming. Once I got older I just didn't care for AAA gaming anymore, thus eliminating the need for windows all together. Even worse, I'm one of the GNOME heathens for pretty much all of these years and I enjoy using it (although I do use 4 extensions). It doesn't get in my way and the win key/expose feature is just such a good way of managing windows.

At work I use Windows and since all I need there is Word and a browser I get by. But alt+tab is really an annoying way of switching windows (I am aware of the slightly more stylish win+tab) :sigh:

Marinmo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

unimportantguy posted:

I'm not saying its awful, its just not what its good at. Its very serviceable, its just way more of a pain to maintain than, say, my windows box

still better than OSX