Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Pretty sure your girlfriend is an extreme outlier in this matter. I mean, I play video games and post on Something Awful and all I know about it is that some dickheads complained about the ending of a video game so loudly that the company changed it. I doubt the average person would even know that much.
The game originally ended with a "keep your save to play DLC" then they released DLC. The only thing the whining even remotely did was possibly get one bit of DLC released for free. There was a huge angry narrative about artistic integrity being ruined though by the game advertising press. Which may be what you're referring to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They did cut content to take a pretty focused story character and make him dlc day 1, which sucked

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
That was loving lovely, Javik is the best character in that dumb series. He is Sassmaster Prime.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Media that hasn't withstood the test of time?
Here's a thread about restoring Citizen Kane.
https://twitter.com/NickFalacci/status/1365442854223368193
AM I DOING THIS RIGHT?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So I finally heard about the comic Cerebus (1977-2003) by Dave Sim. Before I start reading it online, what about the series hasn't aged well?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Grouchio posted:

So I finally heard about the comic Cerebus (1977-2003) by Dave Sim. Before I start reading it online, what about the series hasn't aged well?
Dave Sim went through a divorce and became one of those extremely divorced guys who is extremely bitter and angry with women in general, going so far as to invent his own syncretic religion because none of the existing religions were misogynistic enough for him. This starts to affect and infect the comic more and more as it goes on. The art remains rather nice throughout, however.

http://www.theabsolute.net/misogyny/sim.html

https://comicsalliance.com/tribute-dave-sim/

https://literatemachine.com/2020/08/28/cerebus-misogyny-and-madness/

Assepoester has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Feb 11, 2022

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Grouchio posted:

Well that’s a rabbit hole I can’t quite begin to go down this close to bedtime, and likely more people will chime in before I have to dust off blog posts from the early 00s and remember all the details of Sims’s descent into misogyny and weird religious poo poo.

Church & State is a very good set of arcs, however, before things go completely off the rails. There’s a lot of quality and innovation in the storytelling of Cerebus, and if you enjoy the art of comics, it’s recommended reading…with a lot of cautions.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It wasn't great at the time, but the dominic deegan sexual assault jazz hands must be mentioned now that webcomics have come up.

I'm sorry, it's in the contract.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ah.
I have reached that chapter.
I wonder if ISIS thought he was a tad extreme.
Ye can't make charlie brown scorpion spawn up.

Or the three stooges being his apostles. :psyboom:

Grouchio has a new favorite as of 08:04 on Feb 11, 2022

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

It wasn't great at the time, but the dominic deegan sexual assault jazz hands must be mentioned now that webcomics have come up.

I'm sorry, it's in the contract.

I think that's media that's remembered more fondly than when it happened, honestly

Mind it's remembered for all the mocking and fantastic edits

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Grouchio posted:

I actually had a full read through a year or so ago to see if you can see when it goes off the rails. The cracks start showing in editorials and letters during Church and State, but the notorious male light/female void bit is in issue 186, which is mid-way through Mothers and Daughters.

You could happily avoid everything by stopping with issue 150 at the end of the Melmoth arc, but Mothers and Daughters kinda wraps the first half of the series, with the ends of a bunch of minor characters from early on in the series and Sim does a Grant Morrison and has an extended chat with Cerebus on Pluto.

There's some interesting comics work in subsequent arcs - Cerebus going nuts and having weird internal dialogues is pretty well done, but it starts getting bio-truth-y. There's a bunch of cameos from late 90's independent comics characters, which is interesting but pretty dated - anyone else remember Tug and Buster?

Sim hate-reads some American authors, gets more into the misogyny with a dash of homophobia. There's a wordy bit were Cerebus looks into Abrahamic religion with not-Woody Allen, which I'll admit I just skimmed - its where you'll probably find all the super-weird religious-based misogyny, which is then concentrated in Last Day.

Its annoying because there's some really interesting long term narrative devices that become more obvious when you binge it - the recurring "something fell" line for example - and Sim really is very creative with text and layouts.

I'd say read safely to Melmoth, then see how you go from there. Avoid editorials other than the introductions to Swords of Cerebus which are pretty amusing and give an insight to his creative process in regards to the early issues.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Elissimpark posted:

I actually had a full read through a year or so ago to see if you can see when it goes off the rails. The cracks start showing in editorials and letters during Church and State, but the notorious male light/female void bit is in issue 186, which is mid-way through Mothers and Daughters.

etc etc etc
..............I started with chapter 264 and just read the ending.
I only read Latter Days and the Ending.
Whoops

Grouchio has a new favorite as of 08:59 on Feb 11, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
David Sim gave a bizarrely hostile interview to the AVClub, with sections like this

quote:

O: Would you advise new readers to start with the first book and read all of Cerebus in sequence, or is there a better starting point for the series?

DS: I'm not sure that I would advise a general readership like yours to read Cerebus.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Grouchio posted:

..............I started with chapter 264 and just read the ending.
I only read Latter Days and the Ending.
Whoops

Well, you've read the poo poo bits, so you might as well go back and read the good stuff from the start.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Elissimpark posted:

Well, you've read the poo poo bits, so you might as well go back and read the good stuff from the start.
1. That latter days poo poo was the deepest spiral into spite-fueled reactionary misogynistic literature I have ever read. Wow.
2. I have not felt so proud to go agnostic in such a long time.
3. I must have the thickest skin reading this and thinking 'huh so that's what the exhaustive mind of religious bat guano looks like' without getting angry once.

Grouchio has a new favorite as of 09:38 on Feb 11, 2022

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Sim recently agreed to speak with The Onion A.V. Club via fax about Cerebus' origins

lol

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Grouchio posted:

1. That latter days poo poo was the deepest spiral into spite-fueled reactionary misogynistic literature I have ever read. Wow.
2. I have not felt so proud to go agnostic in such a long time.
3. I must have the thickest skin reading this and thinking 'huh so that's what the exhaustive mind of religious bat guano looks like' without getting angry once.

1. Yeah, it's pretty impressive in that regard. It could almost be read as satire, if you had zero context.

3. I think it's so clearly crazy that it's hard to get angry. That said, once you read the early Cerebus, you'll see the change in tone from the first half to the second half of the series and probably be annoyed by the waste of talent on the crazy stuff.

I would love to know what was going through Gerhard's head as Sim slowly spiralled down the crazy drain.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yeah even for an almost-20-year-old piece it's weird.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Elissimpark posted:

I would love to know what was going through Gerhard's head as Sim slowly spiralled down the crazy drain.

I'm told they didn't talk for the last few years of the run. Gerhard just told Sim to post him the scripts and he'd return the art.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
lol that dude didn't know how to spell cerberus and just rolled with it

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

John Murdoch posted:

They tried to pull the camera out of her rear end in the remaster as best they could and surprising no one, Certain People were FURIOUS at the censorship. :freep:

Me 12 years ago: This rear end cam is bit too much. WTF they were thinking?
Me now: I'm feeling a bit nostalgic for some ME2. Where's that rear end-cam restoration mod?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

moonmazed posted:

It's the Roman spelling.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

adhuin posted:

Me now: I'm feeling a bit nostalgic for some ME2. Where's that rear end-cam restoration mod?

What's hilarious is the person who wrote the rear end cam restoration mod for the new me2 release is the same person who wrote the mod that got rid of the rear end cam from the original release.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's the Roman spelling.

Sim definitely didn’t know that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

8one6 posted:

What's hilarious is the person who wrote the rear end cam restoration mod for the new me2 release is the same person who wrote the mod that got rid of the rear end cam from the original release.

video games modding: it’s about ethics in rear end cam choices

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The only time I picked up Cerebus was at a Minotaur book store in Melbourne. It was the one where the titular character sits on a ball in space, like Le Petit Prince, or something, and just talks and talks for the entire book and nothing happens.

Didn't even bother doing more than glancing through it because it came across like Ted Kaczynski had tried to draw a pig to make his manifesto more palatable to read.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's the Roman spelling.

i have never heard or seen this anywhere and i took 5 years of latin. cerberus is the latin spelling, kerberos is greek

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

moonmazed posted:

i have never heard or seen this anywhere and i took 5 years of latin. cerberus is the latin spelling, kerberos is greek

Also iirc it means 'spotted'.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Jedit posted:

I'm told they didn't talk for the last few years of the run. Gerhard just told Sim to post him the scripts and he'd return the art.

Makes sense, but is a bit disappointing. I'd had the impression that they shared a studio or something.

moonmazed posted:

WELL ACTUALLY, Deni Loubert misspelled "cerberus"...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The only time I picked up Cerebus was at a Minotaur book store in Melbourne. It was the one where the titular character sits on a ball in space, like Le Petit Prince, or something, and just talks and talks for the entire book and nothing happens.

Didn't even bother doing more than glancing through it because it came across like Ted Kaczynski had tried to draw a pig to make his manifesto more palatable to read.

Is Minotaur Books still there? I haven't been there in forever. When I was into comics in my early teens, I'd save my money and in the school holidays, Mum would take me and friends to Minotaur books and Alternate Worlds in Chapel Street to buy the comics you couldn't get at the newsagent. Good times.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

adhuin posted:

The Miranda rear end cam was so goofy and unsubtle that I always assumed it was some sorta dev inside joke. Like they were really proud of that rear end on a technical level and wanted to show off their work! No other characters got the leering treatment from the camera and it was doubly funny because she was just your platonic colleague since no one pursued her as their romance since everyone kinda hated her.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Elissimpark posted:

Is Minotaur Books still there? I haven't been there in forever. When I was into comics in my early teens, I'd save my money and in the school holidays, Mum would take me and friends to Minotaur books and Alternate Worlds in Chapel Street to buy the comics you couldn't get at the newsagent. Good times.

A quick search tells me it's "Minotaur Entertainment" now and looking at their photos, it's all funkpops.

I remember the three story store on Bourke Street. gently caress me that was awesome. Can't even find pictures of it now :(

Books in the basement, memorabilia and cards on the ground floor and comics and warhams upstairs. Everything a nerd needed.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

8one6 posted:

Had to be him. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also iirc it means 'spotted'.

Spot, the three-headed guardian of hell.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Whatev posted:

The Miranda rear end cam was so goofy and unsubtle that I always assumed it was some sorta dev inside joke. Like they were really proud of that rear end on a technical level and wanted to show off their work! No other characters got the leering treatment from the camera and it was doubly funny because she was just your platonic colleague since no one pursued her as their romance since everyone kinda hated her.

the scene where she is talking about her insane rich father genetically engineering her and her sister to be the perfect sexy soldier assassins as the camera does sweeping pans on her rear end playing in the MOMA

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Had to be him. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

:perfect:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember the three story store on Bourke Street. gently caress me that was awesome. Can't even find pictures of it now :(

Books in the basement, memorabilia and cards on the ground floor and comics and warhams upstairs. Everything a nerd needed.

Oddly enough, that's where I would have bought the issues of Cerebus I do have from - before the fall, that is.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Miranda's the femme fatale. It's only odd they focused on her rear end instead of gams.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

Miranda's the femme fatale. It's only odd they focused on her rear end instead of gams.

thats just old school. if noir were popular today you'd have $am $pad3 over here talking about how this dame walks in his office with a ridiculous donk, twerking her way out of the shadows and poo poo

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mary Asstor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outside of Sims and the crazed, batshit author of Sinfest, what other comic-writers have publicly lost their poo poo?