Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

mobby_6kl posted:

does it help normalize choosing your pronouns or someting?
Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I would argue that its more useful than Mr./Ms./Mrs. which we've used for ages despite not knowing or needing to know somebody's marital status 99% of the time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

A bit late to the trans question but this just came up. Yesterday I saw that a lady has her pronouns listed in the email signature. Like "Alice Jones. She, her, hers". I don't want to make any assumptions but if the signature wasn't there, I don't think there'd be any ambiguiuty about the pronouns. I've seen other cis people say that before too. Is this supposed to be helpful, does it help normalize choosing your pronouns or someting? Would it help if a bearded, bald guy introduced himself as "Hi I'm John. He/him/his"? Feels like that'd be weird, as if it's mocking the it.

My understanding, as a cis guy, is that it's to normalize providing pronouns, yes. If the only people who provide pronouns are trans or nonbinary, then people who providing pronouns are essentially outing themselves as members of an oppressed group, and potentially inviting further discrimination. If everyone provides pronouns, even when it's "obvious", then it helps protect the people for whom it's not "obvious". Moreover, it hopefully encourages people to think more in terms of how other people want to be addressed, as opposed to how they present.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The main issue with it is when it is mandatory or there's social pressure for everyone to do it, which means that trans people who may not be out yet are forced to decide between declaring their transness or lying about their pronouns.

And then it's difficult to walk a line of like, this is a good thing to do but not if everyone does it?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for all the salary/hourly answers! I should have clarified that they're both WFH positions, so it sort of sounds like there wouldn't be much change in my daily routine (depending on company policies, of course).

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

I would argue that its more useful than Mr./Ms./Mrs. which we've used for ages despite not knowing or needing to know somebody's marital status 99% of the time.

I only recently learned that Ms. vs Mrs. used to be a big drat deal in the US in like the 80s and earlier. Like if a newspaper interviewed a college professor about their area of expertise they would end the interview by asking if she was married so they could use the correct title in the interview. If she refused to clarify they wouldn't run the interview because of "best practices".

A lot of stuff clicked into place when I learned that.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 10, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

How would they get it wrong with Ms. though? Doesn't that explicitly exist for people who refuse to clarify?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

How would they get it wrong with Ms. though? Doesn't that explicitly exist for people who refuse to clarify?

Apparently at the time 'Ms.' just meant unmarried and its use as an unspecified title is a surprisingly recent development. There are NY Times opinion pieces from the 80s arguing against that use.

Ms Isn't Sweeping the Nation The Foes of Miss/Mrs. Find

quote:

Subject of Controversy

The controversy revolves around the designations of Miss and Mrs. and the feminists’ proposal to do away with any prefix that would indicate marital status.

The suggested substitution is. Ms, a prefix thought to have originated with computers, which often use Ms when there isn't sufficient information to categorize a woman's status.

That article from the 70s makes it sound like 'Ms.' was barely a thing at all.

quote:

A spokesman for the New York Telephone Company said customers would be addressed and billed “any way they wish,” and a representative of Chemical Bank of New York said the bank had no objection to opening accounts with an Ms preceding the name. So far there have been no requests.

Sounds like the they/them issue of its time.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 10, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I learned in school in the 90s about "proper" use of Ms./Mrs. (and I think Miss, pronounced Mizz, was for unknown?) and even as a 10 year old or whatever I was like what the gently caress I gotta find out if everyone's married?? I was very relieved to find out later that few people cared anymore and it had been on its way out. Anyway apparently even my teacher got it wrong and Ms was the ambiguous one all along.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Huh. I didn't know any of that.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Meeee either. Kinda feels like something that should be taught and not forgotten since it would inform a lot of modern day issues.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

A bit late to the trans question but this just came up. Yesterday I saw that a lady has her pronouns listed in the email signature. Like "Alice Jones. She, her, hers". I don't want to make any assumptions but if the signature wasn't there, I don't think there'd be any ambiguiuty about the pronouns. I've seen other cis people say that before too. Is this supposed to be helpful, does it help normalize choosing your pronouns or someting? Would it help if a bearded, bald guy introduced himself as "Hi I'm John. He/him/his"? Feels like that'd be weird, as if it's mocking it.

At my work, the only people I know who have them are the HR department and a few people who are outspoken leftists. It's there to promote openness and inclusion. The only transperson at my work who I'm close with doesn't use them because she doesn't care which people use.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I work in a large corporate environment first in training and now in leadership, and almost everyone at my job lists their pronouns in zoom and email sigs. I’ve had many non-binary and trans folks give extremely positive feedback, and our thought is that by normalizing it, calls less attention to someone who may have “different” pronouns and would be singled out by sharing. When I meet new people at work I always intro my pronouns so there is no ambiguity or guessing and if the occasional person gets pissy over how “liberalized” our company is these days I just pinpoint them as someone I won’t be promoting to my team. :)

E: and yeah it’s definitely not mandatory for the reasons already mentioned, for sake of not forcing someone to choose between coming out or displaying incorrect pronouns.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 10, 2022

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Some folks in our company list pronouns because we work with teams in different countries and it can be hard to infer genders from first names you've never heard before.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Why do two out of three Tinder bios make a point to include a section where they marvel about tacos?

Maybe this is a PNW thing but I just moved a hundred miles away and it hasn't changed.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

credburn posted:

Why do two out of three Tinder bios make a point to include a section where they marvel about tacos?

Maybe this is a PNW thing but I just moved a hundred miles away and it hasn't changed.

I noticed this too when I was on Tinder last year. Saw it a lot in east Texas bios and it got even worse the further south down 79 I went.

Made for some good trolling opportunities tho, where you tell Austin boys you heard the tacos here are real good then send pics of your cheesy gordita crunch lunch

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

McCracAttack posted:

Some folks in our company list pronouns because we work with teams in different countries and it can be hard to infer genders from first names you've never heard before.

Or from names you have heard before! Casey, Alex, Dakota, Brooklyn, Avery, Dylan, Taylor, Peyton, Ashton, Harper, Reese, etc.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

McCracAttack posted:

LOL

I could seriously use this sometimes.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
What's a quick way to wet-clean my linoleum kitchen floor? Just looking for something to hold me over when it doesn't quite need the full mop and bucket treatment. Swiffer wet jet?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Bucket and a sponge mop thing on a stick?

Swiffers loving suck and are super wasteful

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Dry sweeping is really easy and gets most stuff up, and you can spot clean any wet-mess/sticky/stainy spots with rag + vinegar or cleaning spray or whatever your mess cleanup method of choice is. If there are too many such spots for you to get down and wipe it up by hand, it's probably time for a full mopping anyway :shrug:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
It's fine for stating pronouns to be normalised but lots of workplaces seem to do it and then smugly congratulate themselves that they are supporting their gender nonconforming colleagues and nothing materially changes to make it easier for trans and enby people.

By itself it does very very little to make me feel safe or supported.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Human Tornada posted:

What's a quick way to wet-clean my linoleum kitchen floor? Just looking for something to hold me over when it doesn't quite need the full mop and bucket treatment. Swiffer wet jet?

Mop with reusable pads is by far the superior choice. Use with a spray bottle of cleaning whatever; the ones that have the built-in sprayer clog eventually.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

alright, i'm trying to remember the name of a program from the windows xp days. it was basically a dedicated ad displayer that sat atop your windows taskbar. it'd rotate through ads while you were using your computer. and every month or three months or something, they'd literally send you a check for however many ads you watched.

i've googled to no avail.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm 99.9% confident there was an ad on tv like 20-30 years ago featuring the roman god mercury (the fast one with wings on his helmet), and when he looks at the bottom of his feet they are tire treads. obviously for a tire company but I don't remember which one. anyone?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

actionjackson posted:

I'm 99.9% confident there was an ad on tv like 20-30 years ago featuring the roman god mercury (the fast one with wings on his helmet), and when he looks at the bottom of his feet they are tire treads. obviously for a tire company but I don't remember which one. anyone?

Most likely Goodyear, since their logo is the winged shoes.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yes possible, still no hits though. i think the ad was pretty much in black/white. might also be pirelli?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

abelwingnut posted:

alright, i'm trying to remember the name of a program from the windows xp days. it was basically a dedicated ad displayer that sat atop your windows taskbar. it'd rotate through ads while you were using your computer. and every month or three months or something, they'd literally send you a check for however many ads you watched.

i've googled to no avail.

It's on the tip of my tongue. It was a compound word, like EasyPay or ClickCash (not either of those, though).

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
What's the etiquette for adoption a stray cat?

There's a new cat in my neighborhood, with no collar and I want it in my life super bad, also it and my dog seem to like one another, or at least be interested in one another. There's a lady down the street who takes care of some of the strays in the neighborhood, I suppose that would be a good place to start.

Edit:

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 11, 2022

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sometimes it's really hard to tell the difference between a stray cat and somebody's outdoor cat who isn't shy about getting fed by multiple families.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Put a tag on it with a note asking if it belongs to anybody. Could add some contact info if you don't mind being called up by crazy cat people.

E: The suggestion below is good! I would do it as a final step if nobody replied or removed the collar after a week.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 11, 2022

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

dog nougat posted:

What's the etiquette for adoption a stray cat?

There's a new cat in my neighborhood, with no collar and I want it in my life super bad, also it and my dog seem to like one another, or at least be interested in one another. There's a lady down the street who takes care of some of the strays in the neighborhood, I suppose that would be a good place to start.

Edit:

In addition to the note idea, you can try taking it to a vet or your local animal shelter and have them check if it has an ID chip.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

regulargonzalez posted:

It's on the tip of my tongue. It was a compound word, like EasyPay or ClickCash (not either of those, though).

i feel like it had the word ‘star’ or ‘advantage’ in it maybe? i’ve searched quite a bit now and really can’t find any mention of it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

pretty sure you're thinking of Swagbucks

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Those don't sound familiar at all, I don't think they are the early 2000s apps. I tried one of them back in the day but since I had to pay per minute for my dial-up connection, it never made sense.

Speaking of pets, the neighbor lady knocked on my door just now and complained that there's a mouse in our staircase, and that she was afraid and didn't like it. I was sure this was just a movie cliche and adults weren't really scared of tiny mice. Is this really common?

But there indeed was a mouse on our 4th floor, tiny little brown guy:

I caught it in an old bin but now what. I don't have a snake so do I just dump it outside? Can I keep it and have it help with cooking?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Those don't sound familiar at all, I don't think they are the early 2000s apps. I tried one of them back in the day but since I had to pay per minute for my dial-up connection, it never made sense.

Speaking of pets, the neighbor lady knocked on my door just now and complained that there's a mouse in our staircase, and that she was afraid and didn't like it. I was sure this was just a movie cliche and adults weren't really scared of tiny mice. Is this really common?

But there indeed was a mouse on our 4th floor, tiny little brown guy:

I caught it in an old bin but now what. I don't have a snake so do I just dump it outside? Can I keep it and have it help with cooking?

I think that's a shrew

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

i feel like it had the word ‘star’ or ‘advantage’ in it maybe? i’ve searched quite a bit now and really can’t find any mention of it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
wow, '99. is this the one where people were adjusting their CRTs to push the ads outside the viewable area?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

that’s it.

thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:allears: yeah that's the one I remember from back then

Slimy Hog posted:

I think that's a shrew

Huh I think you're right. I didn't know such a thing even existed until now but it is very small and has this long nose which I don't think is usual for mice.