Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

toripaitan for NYE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hallo spacedog posted:

We did our annual tradition of NYE sukiyaki dinner and it was once again very delicious. I've used JOCs recipe a few times and it's been a good success.

we're having that tonight for new years dinner.

y'all know about adding rice to the leftovers the next morning, right?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Stringent posted:

we're having that tonight for new years dinner.

y'all know about adding rice to the leftovers the next morning, right?

We like to make enough for two dinners then use udon instead of rice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FYI the google translate app is perfect for stuff like this. It will give you a live camera view and sub in your chosen language for all text it sees. I use it a lot with Chinese and Japanese ingredients.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I put instant dashi powder directly on Salmon as a seasoning. Is that weird? It's really delicious.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Comb Your Beard posted:

I put instant dashi powder directly on Salmon as a seasoning. Is that weird? It's really delicious.

You season your fish with other fish?

EDIT: More seriously, not really weird. It's sorta like doing a dashi simmered fish... but without the water or the simmering.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 13, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think people would consider it weird, but if you used powdered katsuobushi and kombu it wouldn't be as weird despite being basically the same thing.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I got a gift certificate for a place that sells American wagyu. I've never had or cooked that before so I was wondering what would be a good preparation method to best take advantage of it. I've seen on TV that it's cooked in strips in Japan. Is that "better" than just cooking it as a normal steak?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Technically "wagyu" literally means "Japanese beef" so "American wagyu" isn't really a thing. That said, it's just nice beef that's usually fattier than typical American beef, so cook it like you like to cook nice beef.

In Japan, big steaks aren't really eaten (meat's expensive, it's fatty so it's too rich to eat a lot of, and it's not in the culture) but there's no reason you couldn't do it. Cooking and eating tiny rare bites of awesome beef does rule though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If it's actually the kind that's so fatty it's practically white you won't want to eat a whole steak of it anyway, it's a lot. You can just cook it like a normal steak though. You'll want to cook it past rare or the fat won't render, medium is the lowest I'd go.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Thin strips grilled on a tabletop grill is the way to go. Let beef rest to room temperature, a tiny salt+pepper on oil rubbed grates. Perfection

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

American wagyu is pure marketing so most likely your just getting an above average cut and not some Kobe beef bullshit

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah there's an "American wagyu" farm near here and I've had their beef. It's pretty good but it's nothing like wagyu. I have seen actual wagyu but boy I do not have that kind of money.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
IIRC pure-bred Japanese cows do not fare well in North America, so "American wagyu" is a hybrid of Japanese and American cattle breeds.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Pththya-lyi posted:

IIRC pure-bred Japanese cows do not fare well in North America, so "American wagyu" is a hybrid of Japanese and American cattle breeds.

it's this, yeah they are a hybrid. I eat a lot of Snake River Farms' "American Wagyu" and yeah, it's nothing like Japanese Wagyu...but it is very good and highly marbled.

Here's their "gold" grade short rib and prime rib:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
If you're looking for something anything like wagyu make sure you look at the steaks. Something being American wagyu just means the cow has some amount of heritage from the Japanese cattle but it isn't a regulated designation there is no guarantee for the pedigree and the beef isn't graded in the same way (or really grown to fit the same niches) so you can't trust the label to really mean anything.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Once I realized how...possible it was to make really good ramen at home, I've been pretty obsessed:

This is a chicken chintan (whole chicken and chicken feet, with scallion bulbs, garlic, ginger, niboshi, kombu, and katsuobushi as aromatics). Scallion/garlic chicken fat as the aromatic oil, pretty traditional shoyu tare. The chashu was a Costco pork belly cooked sous vide in a marinade at 155F for ~36 hours. Noodles are 35% hydration, using Caputo 00 flour I usually use for pasta and Neapolitan pizza, with extra vital wheat gluten and powdered egg white. Kansui was 100% sodium carbonate.

Slightly nicer bowl presentation (the nori strip was actually really nice, helped to bring out the subtle fishy notes in the broth), but much goonier background:

The main source I used:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qLPoLxek3WLQJDtU6i3300_0nNioqeYXi7vESrtNvjQ/edit#heading=h.5hxxzh5loqxf

Also I hate peeling eggs more than anything else on Earth. I'm pretty much convinced it's a quantum problem and you just have to assume 20% of them aren't going to peel.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 29, 2022

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I still need to try some instant pot broth hacks to make solid ramen in 1/4 the time

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Way of Ramen on YouTube has a solid instant pot Tonkotsu broth recipe. I make big batches and freeze it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

forbidden dialectics posted:

Once I realized how...possible it was to make really good ramen at home, I've been pretty obsessed:

This is a chicken chintan (whole chicken and chicken feet, with scallion bulbs, garlic, ginger, niboshi, kombu, and katsuobushi as aromatics). Scallion/garlic chicken fat as the aromatic oil, pretty traditional shoyu tare. The chashu was a Costco pork belly cooked sous vide in a marinade at 155F for ~36 hours. Noodles are 35% hydration, using Caputo 00 flour I usually use for pasta and Neapolitan pizza, with extra vital wheat gluten and powdered egg white. Kansui was 100% sodium carbonate.

Slightly nicer bowl presentation (the nori strip was actually really nice, helped to bring out the subtle fishy notes in the broth), but much goonier background:

The main source I used:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qLPoLxek3WLQJDtU6i3300_0nNioqeYXi7vESrtNvjQ/edit#heading=h.5hxxzh5loqxf

Also I hate peeling eggs more than anything else on Earth. I'm pretty much convinced it's a quantum problem and you just have to assume 20% of them aren't going to peel.

This looks really incredible. I'm jealous.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

djfooboo posted:

I still need to try some instant pot broth hacks to make solid ramen in 1/4 the time

If you're looking for tonkotsu broth I've always heard that the IP doesn't work, that you need the rolling boil to get the proper cloudy broth.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

captkirk posted:

If you're looking for tonkotsu broth I've always heard that the IP doesn't work, that you need the rolling boil to get the proper cloudy broth.

This is true- you can't do the whole process while under pressure. You pressure cook for a few hours then take the lid off and boil it (outside) for a couple hours more. You also can cheat and put it in a blender to really emulsify the fat.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

captkirk posted:

Roiling boil

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

forbidden dialectics posted:

Looks great.

Have you tried peeling the eggs under running water?
Cool them down in ice water, then leave your cold water running ever so slightly, crush the shell on all sides and once you start peeling, let water run under the shell.
That's what helped me get better peeling. Part of it is the rapid cooldown, because it contracts and loosen the inside from the shell and the runninhlg water helps lift the shell+membrane from the egg white.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Boyfriend wanted Sushi for his birthday so I made the sushi.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Solefald posted:

That's loving gorgeous

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Solefald posted:

Looks incredible!!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Solefald posted:

mad @ u for not inviting me to this

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How hard is it to make sushi rice? My wife loves maki rolls but is also vegetarian and the veg options for sushi around here are limited, basically just the same avocado roll everywhere. So she wants to try and make sushi at home, which I'm all for, but I've heard varying reports about how complicated it is to make sushi rice, from "it's the same process as making any other rice" to "you must have a specially made bamboo screen and a specialized fan to carefully control the rate at which the rice cools" and I'm not sure I wanna deal with the latter, if that's true.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

How hard is it to make sushi rice? My wife loves maki rolls but is also vegetarian and the veg options for sushi around here are limited, basically just the same avocado roll everywhere. So she wants to try and make sushi at home, which I'm all for, but I've heard varying reports about how complicated it is to make sushi rice, from "it's the same process as making any other rice" to "you must have a specially made bamboo screen and a specialized fan to carefully control the rate at which the rice cools" and I'm not sure I wanna deal with the latter, if that's true.

I mean it might not be Jiro Dreams of Sushi levels of perfect, but you can make sushi rice just fine. Cook short grain sushi rice, add in a little mirin and rice vinegar and you're good. Plenty of recipes and videos available, but the most important things are the right rice and the seasoning. Don't be afraid.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

Give it a shot. It’s not difficult and you don’t need any special equipment. No need to complicate it.

Just keep it simple. Wash it at least 3 times and cook according to the rice instructions (usually around a 1:1 ratio of water to rice). When it’s done you can let it sit a few minutes if you want, then mix it with the sushi vinegar in whatever you have. At home I just use a medium or large mixing bowl.

You’ll probably be making such a small amount that you won’t have to worry about it staying too hot for too long. Can fan it if you want or just let the top cool a little and then mix it around some more so the rest can cool to a non-hot temperature.

Edit: And make sure to post it when you make it

FishBowlRobot fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 11, 2022

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Don't mind the clickbait title, it's really not that hard. I like this recipe and technique from this youtuber (used to be a sushi chef at a great local omakase spot in SF). You can make it in any sort of wide bowl, though something wooden like a hangiri helps wick away excess moisture from the rice and prevents it from getting too gummy. The key bit is to make sure the rice grains don't get crushed as you're handling it through the washing and mixing process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfW9nSqy_3Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsBHBMrm-wg

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

Confirming it's easy. You don't need any of that poo poo for good home sushi. Cook rice (use a little less water since you're adding more liquid), cool it a bit, mix up the seasoning (I do 3:1:1 vinegar/sugar/salt plus a bit of MSG but this is to taste), mix it in with cutting motions so you aren't smushing the rice. Add however much tastes good to you. Done.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Awesome, that seems entirely doable. I'm excited to give it a spin, love me some basic-rear end Americanized maki rolls.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah it's easy as long as you have somewhere to cool and mix the rice.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

MockingQuantum posted:

Man sushi rice is ezpz

Get sushi rice.
Put it in a large bowl and/or sieve and add cold water. Wash the rice by very gentle caressing the rice. Like you wanna just let the rice move around your fingers while you gently make swirling motions. Don't use force or pressure or you'll risk breaking the rice and releasing more starch. Just take your time. Drain the water out and then add fresh water and repeat the wash. It could take 7 times, maybe 10. The water will never ever become fully clear but once it drains you want to see a more silvery colour rather than cloudy.

Once it's washed, drain the water as much as possible. I usually leave the rice in a sieve over a bowl for 10 mins or so.

Now you want 120mls of water to every 100g of rice (idk what measurements Americans use???)

Put water in a pan, add rice, make sure rice is even and covered with water. Put lid on.

Put on medium heat for 10 minutes. Once time is up put on a high heat for 4 minutes. Once tome is up turn the hob off/move pan off heat and leave it for 15 mins (don't remove lid).

Once that time is up your rice should be pretty darn good.
Now just add sushi rice seasoning. It's all about your own taste really and imo there is no set rule on how much you put in it. Just make sure you mix it fully otherwise it's gonna be weird and poo poo.

Preferably try to use something wide/long where you can spread the rice out. You want to gently fold the rice over and over again to mix the seasoning in but also to help the rice cool down a bit. You don't want cold rice but you want it to not continue cooking. Get some air in it! If your arm isn't hurting when folding the rice over then you're not finished ☺️

You're gonna gently caress it up the first 10 times you do it so don't worry. Just keep at it.

You want sticky rice but each grain should still be distinguishable. You don't want just mush.

Hope that helps? Sorry I'm not the best teacher :3:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
The rice is easy, maki rolls take some practice to get the portions right and the roll nice and tight.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

captkirk posted:

The rice is easy, maki rolls take some practice to get the portions right and the roll nice and tight.

Make chirashi, problem solved!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I only make chirashi because my skin is just rice glue and nothing I do keeps it from sticking. I can manage maki but nigiri is just a loving mess. I guess I could wear gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

captkirk posted:

80g of rice for a Hosomaki is usually ideal iirc. They are the easiest roll to make but will take a lot of tries to get perfect.

Anyway
My head chef has been away which means I've been running the place and I've decided to change up our Tonkotsu Ramen a bit and imo it looks sexy as gently caress (also tastes pretty darn good too). Any recommendations on presentation?