Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Count Roland posted:

Two doses however, which is what the vaccine mandates have called for, is not at all effective at preventing transmission.

You, and people like you, need to stop saying this without producing evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Count Roland posted:

vaccination rates have plateaued.

In addition to everything else wrong with this post, what? Under-30s weren’t even eligible for the booster in BC until the past couple of weeks. Children under 5 haven’t been vaccinated yet. We’re nowhere near a plateau.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The vast majority of people being hospitalized with Omicron are the unvaccinated. You can argue that this is their own grave to dig, but their making GBS threads up the hospitals prevents people with other conditions from getting care and accelerates healthcare worker burnout.

Those are two very real crises that are being caused by people going unvaccinated. I don't think the existing vaccine mandates (which are nowhere near as restrictive as they could be) are going too far in trying to mitigate those crises.

Where are you seeing "the vast majority of people being hospitalized with Omicron are the unvaccinated"? I'm willing to believe you but it's not borne out by e.g. Alberta's stats (Vaccine Outcomes table 7) or Nova Scotia's (scroll down to "Vaccinaton Status of Hospitalizations"). Admittedly, neither link breaks it down by variant, but I'm not sure that's relevant when omicron is effectively all covid cases right now.

edit: clarified AB stat location, URL maybe didn't link directly to the section.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 11, 2022

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

pokeyman posted:

Where are you seeing "the vast majority of people being hospitalized with Omicron are the unvaccinated"? I'm willing to believe you but it's not borne out by e.g. Alberta's stats (table 7) or Nova Scotia's (scroll down to "Vaccinaton Status of Hospitalizations"). Admittedly, neither link breaks it down by variant, but I'm not sure that's relevant when omicron is effectively all covid cases right now.

He’s mixed up a statistic, it’s ICU admissions are almost entirely unvaxxed. Hospital admissions trend more towards vaccinated because 80% of the country is vaxxed so there is just more of them, but per capita it hashes out to a much lower rate iirc

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

infernal machines posted:

Wait as second, isn't this part of the buildup to the apocalypse in the Fallout series?
That happened because the US finally ran out of oil in their never-ending 1950s cultural appetite. In a series written by Tim Cain.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

He’s mixed up a statistic, it’s ICU admissions are almost entirely unvaxxed. Hospital admissions trend more towards vaccinated because 80% of the country is vaxxed so there is just more of them, but per capita it hashes out to a much lower rate iirc

Yeah I've seen a lot of people float the pie charts from the Ontario.ca site but they tend to skip over your point about the vaccinated overwhelmingly outnumbering the unvaccinated in the general population.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah this is more accurate.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The mandates didn't work because the unvaccinated got sick? Ow that hurt my brain.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Argas posted:

The mandates didn't work because the unvaccinated got sick? Ow that hurt my brain.

You're obviously not listening to enough Joe Rogan. You're only doing what, five or six hours a week? Those are rookie numbers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Argas posted:

I've seriously heard the argument that the only reason the unvaxxed are getting sick is because the vaxxed are spreading it to the unvaxxed therefore it's the vax people fault that the ICUs are filled up. I think my brain tried to kill itself after that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Oh yep, I maybe could've figured out it was probably ICU admissions if I kept scrolling.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Count Roland posted:

I don't think mandates would be going too far if they worked. Hospitals are clogged with the unvaccinated despite vaccine mandates. Meaning the policy of vaccine mandates failed to keep the hospitals running normally.

Now, they did help a bit. Mandates boosted the vaccination rate by a few percent, which amounts to a lot of money saved, many people out of hospitals and maybe thousands of lives saved. This is worth something. But I don't think its worth all this, especially now that Omicron is receding and vaccination rates have plateaued.

I don't think we need to be pedantic about the definition of mandate.

Vaccines in general lower viral load, yes. The vaccines were somewhat effective in lowering transmission rates of Delta. The booster shot is somewhat effective in preventing the transmission of Omicron. Two doses however, which is what the vaccine mandates have called for, is not at all effective at preventing transmission. This is why Omicron has swept through the entire world, and why people who are fully vaccinated routinely catch and spread it. The vaccines do however largely protect against severe illness.

Since two shots of the vaccine do not prevent or even meaningfully slow the spread of the disease, vaccine mandates have been utterly ineffective at providing "safe" spaces-- a vaccinated person who walks into a restaurant is just as able to spread the disease as an vaccinated person.

You've made a lot of very definitive statements here, could you provide some sort of primary source proof or documentation of them so that your proclamations can be analyzed and debated?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Count Roland posted:

I don't think mandates would be going too far if they worked. Hospitals are clogged with the unvaccinated despite vaccine mandates. Meaning the policy of vaccine mandates failed to keep the hospitals running normally.

Now, they did help a bit. Mandates boosted the vaccination rate by a few percent, which amounts to a lot of money saved, many people out of hospitals and maybe thousands of lives saved. This is worth something. But I don't think its worth all this, especially now that Omicron is receding and vaccination rates have plateaued.

Vaccines in general lower viral load, yes. The vaccines were somewhat effective in lowering transmission rates of Delta. The booster shot is somewhat effective in preventing the transmission of Omicron. Two doses however, which is what the vaccine mandates have called for, is not at all effective at preventing transmission. This is why Omicron has swept through the entire world, and why people who are fully vaccinated routinely catch and spread it. The vaccines do however largely protect against severe illness.

Since two shots of the vaccine do not prevent or even meaningfully slow the spread of the disease, vaccine mandates have been utterly ineffective at providing "safe" spaces-- a vaccinated person who walks into a restaurant is just as able to spread the disease as an vaccinated person.

You’re incredibly dumb and have no idea what you’re talking about. People have patiently explained it to you, so your ignorance must be by choice.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/RachelNotley/status/1491955149836886018?s=20&t=jwooc4hCeAtT2D_odeB7Ug

this poo poo makes me feel crazy

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

This is loving priceless.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Honestly, Canada would be in a better place if we did, in fact, have vaccine mandates, back in the summer.

But we’ve never had vaccine mandates. We’ve had vaccine suggestions.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I didn't see it mentioned here yesterday, but Manitoba's Justice Minister all but outright stated that the Justice Department supports the anti-mask/anti-vaxx/anti-Trudeau idiots, and it's Trudeau's fault that they're causing all the chaos. Why won't anyone think about the protestors feelings?

Boy, I sure do love how the police are making VERY GOOD arguments for why they don't need a quarter of the city's annual budget. After this shitshow, I wonder how well someone running for mayor on a Defund the Police platform would do, because the WPS are doing a good job showing they don't do a drat thing with that much money.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Who would have thought that occupying a nation''s capital and blockading borders aren't actually illegal and we apparently need emergency powers to stop them?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

enki42 posted:

Who would have thought that occupying a nation''s capital and blockading borders aren't actually illegal and we apparently need emergency powers to stop them?

For real, it’s honestly unbelievable how milquetoast every level of government is here. I knew they would go more kid gloves with right wingers but never imagined they would just be paralyzed about doing anything at all. They gently caress up native and climate protests in hours.

Really a mask off moment

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Count Roland posted:

You are the biggest idiot to have posted in this thread in a long while.
Vaccine mandate doesn't work because...unvaccinated are in hospitals. What?

The vaccines absolutely do lower transmission rates and do lower rates of hospitalization and ICU. Is it your position that because some morons are willing to ruin their own life rather than get a shot that we should bow to their demands and get rid of it?

Buddy, are you running the police response in Ottawa right now?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Randalor posted:

I didn't see it mentioned here yesterday, but Manitoba's Justice Minister all but outright stated that the Justice Department supports the anti-mask/anti-vaxx/anti-Trudeau idiots, and it's Trudeau's fault that they're causing all the chaos. Why won't anyone think about the protestors feelings?

Boy, I sure do love how the police are making VERY GOOD arguments for why they don't need a quarter of the city's annual budget. After this shitshow, I wonder how well someone running for mayor on a Defund the Police platform would do, because the WPS are doing a good job showing they don't do a drat thing with that much money.

Lol just admiting the government has no control over the police

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I thought his last name sounded familiar.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

What? Why is this the first I'm hearing about it? THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

For real, it’s honestly unbelievable how milquetoast every level of government is here. I knew they would go more kid gloves with right wingers but never imagined they would just be paralyzed about doing anything at all. They gently caress up native and climate protests in hours.

Really a mask off moment

The natives don’t have a fleet of 18 wheelers and millions of dollars in funding. They aren’t using their kids as human shields and they don’t have former cops and army officers who’ve wargamed various insurrections and terrorist scenarios now acting them out for real.

While I do agree the government could’ve done more, I think these guys can put up far more of a fight than peaceful non violent protestors who don’t have any heavy equipment.

The Oka crisis shows you what can happen when you seriously arm up and try to force a change. That’s a better example of the government being more weak and paralyzed when a left wing group starts an armed blockade.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Count Roland posted:

I passed the convoy last night on the way to grappling, which is just running like regular now. ~30 big trucks driving really slow down a main road (hunt club between woodroffe and merivale for ottawa folks) just to annoy people trying to get home from work? gently caress these guys. Vaccine mandates help keep the deplorable morons out of the same gyms and restaurants as me, I'm fine continuing this segregation as long as possible.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
*looks if people are stupid in 2022*

Holy gently caress.

*leaves for another year*

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

The natives don’t have a fleet of 18 wheelers and millions of dollars in funding. They aren’t using their kids as human shields and they don’t have former cops and army officers who’ve wargamed various insurrections and terrorist scenarios now acting them out for real.

While I do agree the government could’ve done more, I think these guys can put up far more of a fight than peaceful non violent protestors who don’t have any heavy equipment.

The Oka crisis shows you what can happen when you seriously arm up and try to force a change. That’s a better example of the government being more weak and paralyzed when a left wing group starts an armed blockade.

At least for the Ottawa poo poo, the cops didn't even try for the first week. (And are barely trying now.) Tickets, by-law enforcement, some kind of enforcement would have created a huge deterrence.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

yogizh posted:

*looks if people are stupid in 2022*

Holy gently caress.

*leaves for another year*

Bad news friend

It aint getting better.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

This might hold except that about Wednesday of the first week their numbers dropped precipitously and they were starting to run low on fuel and supplies, and the cops helped them coordinate supply runs instead of, you know, rolling this up before it surged again on the weekend

I do get your point, but this isn’t just government scared of escalation, this is straight up cops not enforcing

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

State of emergency in ontario

Let's see if we're in the "finding out" phase.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

MA-Horus posted:

https://twitter.com/GiveSendGo/status/1491940399505682434
Let these people find out first, please.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

State of emergency in ontario

This is happening after Trudeau is rumored to remove mandatory testing at the border.

Wonder if the two are related, considering there was an emergency meeting with all leaders yesterday.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Douglas handling this briefing relatively well - hasn't poo poo himself at all.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Did he blame Trudeau for anything?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Oh, what a surprise

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Gros Tarla posted:

This is happening after Trudeau is rumored to remove mandatory testing at the border.

Wonder if the two are related, considering there was an emergency meeting with all leaders yesterday.

Only for the vaxxed though, according to what I saw

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Just unilaterally asserting that laws don't apply to me.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

cat botherer posted:

Just unilaterally asserting that laws don't apply to me.

I bet the laws apply to the banks that have those accounts though

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

C'mon now, there's laws and then there's laws. Can you even point to a single government in the past that was worried about something so petty as money and it's flow and regulation and use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Do they not know how criminal.money laundering works?