Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah at the end of the day these companies are here to make money not win some war that gamers perceive. I'm sure MS is going to use their acquired IPs in a way that benefits them the most and losing billions of dollars of COD playstation sales is probably not that thing.

I really think these acquisitions are going to mostly amount to bargaining chips and the future of exclusivity is going to look a lot less cut and dry than people are envisioning. it's going to get to the point where Sony and MS are going to own so much of the gaming space that they are going to straight up need each other to stay relevant.

I thought someone here made a really good point earlier that MS and Sony might be seeing Amazon/Google making moves and may be unofficially circling the wagons a little with each other also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm sure Sony is terrified of Stadia.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Amazon had Luna, a service Ive never seen mentioned or talked about since it launched

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Weirdly I feel like I've had the best success with PSNow as far as loud gaming goes. Alas, it requires a PS4 controller to do most games and mine started messing up.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So chrono cross is coming to Xbox. cool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lammasu posted:

So chrono cross is coming to Xbox. cool.

Suck it lamestation and nintendoh

Hopefully its good though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

Turn delivery optimization back on dipshit. And also run an update through the windows store. No I don't know why theres poo poo in there that's not on windows update even though your Microsoft apps will gently caress up without it. Also sometimes the Xbox app just refuses to correctly install a program unless the download was started in the Microsoft store. Both of the store apps are pretty lovely and barely working, but the Xbox one is especially bad.

I literally turned on my pc for the first time in months because I got covid and my wife didn’t and I’m isolating in the room with the pc

If it’s this many hoops to jump through for MS own games I’m really glad I have the consoles. Pretty much everything I tried to install worked fine other than Halo, the game made by MS

I do miss mouse and keyboard for FPS games but honestly the pc gamepass experience is lovely enough and the series x is cheaper than a GPU let alone the rest of a pc I don’t see myself doing this on pc again

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh wait apparently you can literally use M+KB on series s/x for halo. Throwing away my pc

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MarcusSA posted:

Hopefully its good though.

It's got a good soundtrack, at least. I wouldn't put it in the top 25 psx jrpgs tho.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Chrono cross has one of the highest soundtrack quality: game quality ratios out there

Might be fun with the no battles and 3x speed stuff they keep adding to the ps1/2 square games

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Chrono cross has one of the highest soundtrack quality: game quality ratios out there

The soundtrack is really good, though a lot of the tracks are 2 mins long. Mistuda must've been exhausted by that point, after drilling for years over the superior Xenogears ost.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
CrossfireX is not a good game. I mean the single player is fine, but the multiplayer is awful.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

MLB the Show being on other consoles wasn't Sony goodwill, MLB Advanced Media co-published the game and worked out that deal with Xbox.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

drewmoney posted:

CrossfireX is not a good game. I mean the single player is fine, but the multiplayer is awful.

I enjoyed griefing the pubbies as a filthy sniper in TDM while they ran in to each other in the middle of the map with their default AK's. If you parkour up to the opposition team's sniper nest you have a ridiculous vantage point that even lets you snipe their spawn point. :v:

Might check out singleplayer if it gets fixed for Game Pass but otherwise I had my fun & I'm done with this bad multiplayer.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

RodShaft posted:

If I can use discord on my series x so voice chat comes out of the HDMI and headset while playing Fortnite I will never have been happier.

(I know there's an option in Xbox settings, but Fortnite overrides it and only plays voice chat through the headset if it's plugged in because they hate me)

This didn't work. It dropped voice as soon as I switched off of edge browser

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Evil Badman posted:

MLB the Show being on other consoles wasn't Sony goodwill, MLB Advanced Media co-published the game and worked out that deal with Xbox.

Isn't this the common understanding

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

JBP posted:

Isn't this the common understanding

I didn't quote it, but this was in response to the "Sony and MS being buddy buddy to fend off the rest" theory post.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's not what I said. There's no rest to fend off. Clearly the money/power is in gatekeeping IP's not making hardware.

The idea that MS and Sony are buying all of this poo poo to just make more exclusive games for their respective platforms is backwards and goons can laugh at me all they want now, but get back to me on that in a few years.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Sony seems more set on keeping value in its hardware. Microsoft legit seems like if everyone dropped the Xbox tomorrow for PC they wouldn't be all that bummed as long as you kept getting Gamepass.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The soundtrack is really good, though a lot of the tracks are 2 mins long. Mistuda must've been exhausted by that point, after drilling for years over the superior Xenogears ost.

Mitsuda had already burnt out and left Square in 1998. Chrono Cross was his first (and to date, his only) contribution to a Square game as a freelance composer.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

The idea that MS and Sony are buying all of this poo poo to just make more exclusive games for their respective platforms is backwards and goons can laugh at me all they want now, but get back to me on that in a few years.

I think it's both.

Microsoft wants people to buy Xbox consoles because they earn money off all transactions in that ecosystem. They want people subscribed to Game Pass because that's easy recurring revenue. There's so much money to be earned by trapping consumers in an ecosystem.

But not everyone is going to buy an Xbox. Some people won't buy one no matter what Microsoft does. So putting some stuff out in different places does bring in money that Microsoft wouldn't get otherwise, but it also eats into those larger recurring ecosystem-based profits because exclusives do work on some people. Microsoft has an army of analysts to crunch these numbers and those are the people who decided that Starfield and the next Elder Scrolls should be exclusive.

I suspect Call of Duty falls closer to the Minecraft side of things than the Elder Scrolls side, but I don't know. I think it's probably closer than you're thinking and not a slam dunk. I do think it will be mostly multiplatform though.

Also, even if Microsoft makes Call of Duty a Game Pass platform exclusive, it will be on many, many, many more devices than it is right now. It's not like removing PlayStation consoles from the equation drastically lowers the theoretical ceiling by a huge amount.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Mitsuda had already burnt out and left Square in 1998. Chrono Cross was his first (and to date, his only) contribution to a Square game as a freelance composer.

That's really interesting. Yeah, it's a great OST, it's just rather uneven imo, but then again the game itself is pretty all over the place.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

drewmoney posted:

Fanatic posted:

I enjoyed griefing the pubbies as a filthy sniper in TDM while they ran in to each other in the middle of the map with their default AK's. If you parkour up to the opposition team's sniper nest you have a ridiculous vantage point that even lets you snipe their spawn point. :v:

Might check out singleplayer if it gets fixed for Game Pass but otherwise I had my fun & I'm done with this bad multiplayer.

I figured out that there's a gatling gun you can unlock from the start by going into the loadout screen and purchasing it for 2000 GP. It's really dumb and obliterates everything, even at range.

TDM is the only actually fun thing here but since it's just one map it gets old fast. I tried Nano (infection/zombies) and it feels broken. This is not a good game, it feels exactly like one of those tacked-on 360/PS3 era multiplayer modes that publishers would demand for their singleplayer games.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Games biz chat.

The Epic/Apple lawsuit made pretty clear that 70/30 publisher/platform revenue split is the norm for the entire games industry.

If you are Sony or MS, your first choice is to be both sides of that split and take in 100% of the revenue. But after that—especially for games with live services revenue—70% is a lot more appealing than nothing and you're really competing against all the other live services games (Fortnite) where you are only getting 30% of their revenue if it's on your platform. You want to keep back some exclusives as system sellers so that you're more likely to get more of that 30% from all the other games, but there are strong incentives to put your published games everywhere.

This is also why I don't think MS is in any hurry to close the Gamepass Gold conversion loop hole. This incredibly good deal locks us into 3 years of playing multiplayer games and buying DLC on their platform instead of Sony's. More chances to get the 30%.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh wait apparently you can literally use M+KB on series s/x for halo. Throwing away my pc

I literally bought a series X because I realized I could largely play the same games in the same ways except with a good graphics card lol. It's like $1300 for a card with the performance of a series X, and my PC is from 2014 so I'd have to upgrade other stuff to not be CPU bottlenecked etc. It's not the bad old days where every console that came out had the hardware of your average microwave compared to pc lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If they let me run windows on my Xbox I literally would throw my PC away

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Flux Wildly posted:

What’s goon consensus on the Xbox wireless headphones? Looking for something with Bluetooth so can connect to discord via phone for Sea of Thieves - alternatives are the pricier Steelseries 9 or Turtle Beach 700 and I’m not sure. Round ear cups look like a curious design choice but they are like £50 cheaper than the others…

(Alternatively there aren’t any viable ways to connect natively to Discord, are there?)

Going back to this question, I bought the wireless headset last weekend and couldn't be more pleased with it.

It's a bit bassy out the box, but after looking up settings online that's easily sorted.

I also paid for the Dolby stuff which again can be tweaked to your requirements, and it sounds incredible.

For £90, it's a fantastic piece of kit.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Flux Wildly posted:

What’s goon consensus on the Xbox wireless headphones? Looking for something with Bluetooth so can connect to discord via phone for Sea of Thieves - alternatives are the pricier Steelseries 9 or Turtle Beach 700 and I’m not sure. Round ear cups look like a curious design choice but they are like £50 cheaper than the others…

(Alternatively there aren’t any viable ways to connect natively to Discord, are there?)

Search my posts in this thread. The Xbox headphones are great, but the TB 700s can be found for dirt cheap bricked and re-flashed to work.

I use the MS headphones for Xbox and a pair of PS TB 700 gen 2s for work. I bought them broken off eBay to fix my Xbox TBs that had a broken earpiece, then discovered that I could fix them.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Larry Parrish posted:

If they let me run windows on my Xbox I literally would throw my PC away

If it wasn't for work stuff, I'd have stuffed my PC in the closet and put my XBOX on my desk....

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Been playing Edge of Eternity, it's not bad at all. Not too anime, good voice acting. It's got like 5% jank to it but it's fine. Kinda feels like an offline mmo + turn-based jRPG with sci-fi vs magic elements.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

tripwood posted:

Been playing Edge of Eternity, it's not bad at all. Not too anime, good voice acting. It's got like 5% jank to it but it's fine. Kinda feels like an offline mmo + turn-based jRPG with sci-fi vs magic elements.

Im gonna disagree pretty strongly but Im only two hours in

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What was the name of the game where it's a time loop thing in Ancient Rome or Greece? Is it still on gamepass?

Also, crossfire isn't showing in my gamepass app not he console or my phone. Did they pull it?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Barudak posted:

Im gonna disagree pretty strongly but Im only two hours in

It's got the unending tutorial poo poo, even after 2 hours it's still going on. It should be Gaming Law that tutorials should last 15 minutes max then everything's unlocked for good.

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What was the name of the game where it's a time loop thing in Ancient Rome or Greece? Is it still on gamepass?

The Forgotten City and it sure is

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
On GamePass was there any update on when the PC version is going to use regular file systems vs the weird file method they use now? I had heard they were going to change over for that.

It would be nice so things like the logitech software can be aware of the games for customizing the mice/keyboard etc.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

priznat posted:

On GamePass was there any update on when the PC version is going to use regular file systems vs the weird file method they use now? I had heard they were going to change over for that.

It would be nice so things like the logitech software can be aware of the games for customizing the mice/keyboard etc.

I think Microsoft is in general giving up on the encrypted install stuff for home systems but they went whole hog on it so it's gonna take a while. Plus like, that's all a Windows division thing, I'm not sure if the Xbox division has much say over it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

I think Microsoft is in general giving up on the encrypted install stuff for home systems but they went whole hog on it so it's gonna take a while. Plus like, that's all a Windows division thing, I'm not sure if the Xbox division has much say over it.

Ah well, hopefully someday! It's a pretty minor annoyance at least.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

tripwood posted:

It's got the unending tutorial poo poo, even after 2 hours it's still going on. It should be Gaming Law that tutorials should last 15 minutes max then everything's unlocked for good.

The best one of these is the tutorial for a system it has already told you about and let you interact with and then when it gives you the tutorial about an hour later says "oh you still don't have any of these, so lets skip it for now"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

priznat posted:

It's still in progress, but by grabbing "Xbox Insider Hub" on the Windows Store you can opt into a work-in-progress version. I think these are the latest release notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Kins posted:

It's still in progress, but by grabbing "Xbox Insider Hub" on the Windows Store you can opt into a work-in-progress version. I think these are the latest release notes.

Oh neat! I will check it out. Will have to figure out if it is stable enough for my use yet.