Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Skyscraper Raccoon posted:

Leisure Class demands more leisure

I'm not going to recommend I go back to working person just because you have to work in person, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

MrQwerty posted:

MABs were only forwarded as a COVID treatment because a lot of people with a lot of money and power bet on them knowing nothing about them because Donald Trump said Remdesivir made him feel like a billion dollars (it was dexamethasone). MABs were never going to do poo poo for COVID outside helping a few people because they got lucky with the viral variant and timing of infusion.
Sadly, yes.

One advantage of mAbs is that they bind to the target you want with extremely high specificity (ie they have negligible binding to anything else). The downside there is that if the target changes, the antibody can fail to bind to the new target (or can still bind but with less affinity, so it doesn’t work as well).

This is why variants like Omicron can make entire mAbs obsolete. Like, the epitope (antibody binding site) on the spike protein changes in a big enough way and then whoopsie, Regeneron just doesn’t work anymore.

So far, nothing has been able to break the vaccines in quite the same way because exposing your body to the entire spike protein (or the entire virus, for inactivated ones) makes you generate antibodies that can bind to a variety of sites.

The virus is evolving much faster than we’d like. The more people it gets to infect, the faster it can evolve. This has unfortunately led to a positive feedback loop where the time between new variants is getting shorter, and it’s getting better at reinfecting people too. All the more reason why easing restrictions and letting ‘er rip is a terrible idea.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

I will never go back to an office and nothing will change that. I've spent 2 years doing my job from my living room and like hell am I going into the covid cubicles. Sorry your job doesn't let you do that, that really sucks. But don't poo poo on people who are taking advantage of something in order to not get exposed and sick from a virus. If you want lower spread, why would you not support working from home for those who can? Real sour grapes and crab bucket mentality here

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Basically since the advent of the internet and especially broadband no office worker has EVER needed to be in the office. But boomers gonna boomer ya know? It took a goddamn global pandemic that killed millions to finally cause some movement in the right direction.

If you work a job that can't be done at home, I feel for you I really do. But that doesn't change the fact that my job doesn't need to be done at an office. If you think the home has too many distractions to be an effective workplace then you've obviously never worked in an office. No fellow office drone, I do not care about the results of the big sportsball game last night. No gossipy rear end secretary lady, I do not care who is dating who in the office. I have loving work to do and deadlines. No I do not want to go to the loving company happy hour. Now all that, that's some goddamn distractions.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Oh lol also we had another covid mAb clinical trial start up in January and like 3 weeks in they stopped even trying to get patients because their poo poo didn't work against omicron.

e: one of my patients really wanted to join this study because god forbid you get the vaccine, why not go for experimental treatments and a 50/50 chance of getting nothing more potent than an injection of saline instead.

coronatae fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 11, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I plan on always doing hybrid work from now on - I can't imagine being office-bound 100% of the time after this. My work sometimes benefits from in-person meetings, but as long as I can still bill for remote I intend to find a livable balance between the two.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Strange Aeon posted:

Are there any promising trends in therapeutics? From the post earlier, it seems like sotromivab isn't effective against the omicron variant and it was the only one of them that I thought had efficacy against regular omicron.

I don't understand the mechanics of how the therapeutics work, so is it likely there are other approaches that could address the new omicron?

Also, have there been any estimates on how many lives therapeutics have saved?

There are interesting developments in the labs, it’s just that they’re months or years away from the pharmacy. Remember, Paxlovid works great, we just can’t get enough of it.

Here’s one of the interesting therapeutic approaches that I wrote about last week for the C‐SPAM thread.

Platystemon posted:

Targeting conserved N-glycosylation blocks SARS-CoV-2 variant infection in vitro

What if we locked SARS-CoV-2’s out of our cells’ proverbial paint shops? Would this make it easier for our immune systems to spot and destroy?

Seems so, yeah.

Researchers used an antibody–drug conjugate (ADC) to only shut down the paint shops in (cultured) infected cells, because shutting them down everywhere would be disastrous.

The antibody is attracted to the SARS-CoV-2 spike so as to only deliver the drug payload to infected cells.

But wait. Wouldn’t variant changes to the spike break the ADC, same as they break our natural antibodies as well as therapeutic mAbs?

Ah, but the antibodies involved needn’t be neutralizing antibodies that the virus has strong selective pressure to evade. It can be an antibody that just hangs on ineffectually and is of no concern to the virus… unless a potent drug is attached.

I do want to see the lab work repeated with Omicron, and specifically across its subvariants. The researchers are proud of performance against Beta, but Beta is nothing compared to Omicron.

The other issue, I suspect, is manufacturing the ADC at scale.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Omicron subvariant BA2 (which is gaining ground on BA1 and is already the dominant subvariant in some countries) is resistant to most monoclonal treatments, including sotrovimab which was effective against BA1

Update: Sotrovimab’s manufacturer claims it's still efficacious against omicron subvariant BA2 but haven't released any numbers to back that up yet

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Not this derail again. :frogout:

HonorableTB posted:

I will never go back to an office and nothing will change that. I've spent 2 years doing my job from my living room and like hell am I going into the covid cubicles. Sorry your job doesn't let you do that, that really sucks. But don't poo poo on people who are taking advantage of something in order to not get exposed and sick from a virus. If you want lower spread, why would you not support working from home for those who can? Real sour grapes and crab bucket mentality here

No, you're replying to a troll account. Don't do that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Homers are so thin-skinned for being a class of people that gets to dodge the plague

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m going to step absolutely outside my usual aggressive shrug of an IK role and decree that we are done with this topic.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Update: Sotrovimab’s manufacturer claims it's still efficacious against omicron subvariant BA2 but haven't released any numbers to back that up yet

Another possibly stupid question about monoclonals - do they (as I recall reading when Florida went all-in on them) prevent you from actually developing immunity, or at least severely reduce your chances of developing immunity? The thinking was that because they take care of the infection before your own immune system gets its boots on that your body never really learns to recognise and attack the virus next time it sees it.

If so that's actually an almost perfect scam on the part of the companies pushing them, the kind of poo poo people always accuse BIG PHARMA of in fact.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Neighbors got it. Like the flu pretty much (for the vaccinated)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Zeluth posted:

Neighbors got it. Like the flu pretty much (for the vaccinated)

Single case anecdotes can't really tell you much about the overall severity of any disease. Your average unvaccinated person's most likely outcome of COVID is a mild case followed by full recovery. (Absolutely not saying that vaccines don't have a big effect, just that vaccinated people can and are hospitalized or worse, even with Omicron).

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
My coworker thought she could smell something sour yesterday, but that quickly passed and she was back to nothing again

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

enki42 posted:

Single case anecdotes can't really tell you much about the overall severity of any disease. Your average unvaccinated person's most likely outcome of COVID is a mild case followed by full recovery. (Absolutely not saying that vaccines don't have a big effect, just that vaccinated people can and are hospitalized or worse, even with Omicron).
Yeah, it’s pretty wild how broad the spectrum of symptoms are for the vaccinated.

Among the people I know who’ve gotten it (all of whom are boosted if they are old enough to get the third shot), it has so far ranged from “zero symptoms” to “a lovely few days” to “a really lovely week.” Or “I’m really glad my brain fog seems to be receding,” which is a potential outcome type that has always been extremely concerning for me as a knowledge worker.

One of my parents had zero symptoms and the other had it fairly mild, despite both being in not-spectacular health otherwise. I’m hoping that bodes well for me if I catch it, though who the gently caress knows. Also, fingers crossed for everyone else re: long-term effects because we just don’t know there either.

Notably, with two exceptions, everyone I know who got it did so in the last six weeks…

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hardawn posted:

My coworker thought she could smell something sour yesterday, but that quickly passed and she was back to nothing again

There's several possible results when people lose their smell and/or taste due to covid, in some cases they just lose the ability to smell or taste anything, for other people it makes things smell or taste like garbage or rotting flesh or sewerage.

Some people lose those senses for just a week, others lose them for months and months

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

There's several possible results when people lose their smell and/or taste due to covid, in some cases they just lose the ability to smell or taste anything, for other people it makes things smell or taste like garbage or rotting flesh or sewerage.

Some people lose those senses for just a week, others lose them for months and months

Yeah the tiktoks of people joking about lost taste and then it flashes forward a year later and they are still without are pretty haunting.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Seeing social media posts about going out again and knowing when/if you get covid you'll be ok bc you are vaxxed and boosted and it won't be worse than a cold

https://youtu.be/oHC1230OpOg

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Didn't you hear? Omicron is mild. It's no worse than the common cold.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HonorableTB posted:

Posters like "I deserve to work from home because I made good life choices" poster from a few days ago make that pretty tough. It's incredibly emotionally frustrating sometimes to read things like that, or the fifteen million twitter posts where someone harrowingly describes their first trip to the grocery store in two years, etc and kinda carries the implication that certain lives and families are worth more than others. My fiancée in particular worked at two warehouses and did instacart until recently. Literally risking her life to support the computer-toucher class every day. Our current industry still requires both of us to cater to irresponsible assholes who make multiple times our income. That we haven't gotten omicron yet is a miracle. I got first wave NYC covid and I do not want to repeat it. It drives home that there are haves and have-nots.

It can sometimes feel like people think their families are more worthwhile than the plebs they "responsibly" send into the covid mines for their own benefit.

And it's all doubly frustrating because intellectually, you know that nobody wants to throw your life away- we're all on the same side. Almost everybody who cares about covid enough to be reading this thread is doing right. People who can work from home should be, and they're not just protecting themselves, they're protecting the rest of us. There's nothing to be upset about.

But still, it can get upsetting when people go "actually covid lifestyle rules, I can send emails and do spreadsheets from home, I'm doing great."

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Zugzwang posted:

two shots do gently caress all for preventing Omicron infection.

Is there any data about whether it's the third shot that provides Omicron protection, or just a "recent" shot? Like if someone wasn't able to get the first round of vaccines (like, say, one of the poorer countries that did not have access) and now gets a two shot dose, would their antibodies be relatively 'fresh' and high enough to compare to the booster dose vs Omicron? Or will they still need the third shot even if the first two are fresh?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Tagra posted:

Is there any data about whether it's the third shot that provides Omicron protection, or just a "recent" shot?
Yes, the booster in particular is necessary. Your levels are much higher right after the third than right after the second.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Another possibly stupid question about monoclonals - do they (as I recall reading when Florida went all-in on them) prevent you from actually developing immunity, or at least severely reduce your chances of developing immunity? The thinking was that because they take care of the infection before your own immune system gets its boots on that your body never really learns to recognise and attack the virus next time it sees it.

If so that's actually an almost perfect scam on the part of the companies pushing them, the kind of poo poo people always accuse BIG PHARMA of in fact.

I mean, until there are reviewed studies on this specific topic the answer is :shrug:, but the whole point of a MAB is to introduce an antibody that you don't have to do work for you. I'd imagine MABs actually partially negated your natural antibody production if you are one of the few cases where you got a MAB that worked against COVID at exactly the right window - that study sounds really loving hard (impossible) to do now lol. We'll probably never know much about the efficacy of MABs on COVID-19 in the first two years of the pandemic for real, but what we will know 100% for certain is that MABs for respiratory coronaviruses are a investment scam.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

But still, it can get upsetting when people go "actually covid lifestyle rules, I can send emails and do spreadsheets from home, I'm doing great."

I'm privileged that I can do some of my work from home, but I've really been breaking lately because people in my company working from home has made my life and most of my work so much more loving difficult. I have to spend a lot of time making up for the people working from home, but I'm expected to still meet the same timelines. Some tasks that used to take me one hour now takes ten or more, and all in the lab and not at home.

Mentally I'm at the point of, I don't give a poo poo about how they feel, everyone back to the office because I'm tired of carrying the extra weight and stress.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Posters like "I deserve to work from home because I made good life choices" poster from a few days ago make that pretty tough. It's incredibly emotionally frustrating sometimes to read things like that, or the fifteen million twitter posts where someone harrowingly describes their first trip to the grocery store in two years, etc and kinda carries the implication that certain lives and families are worth more than others. My fiancée in particular worked at two warehouses and did instacart until recently. Literally risking her life to support the computer-toucher class every day. Our current industry still requires both of us to cater to irresponsible assholes who make multiple times our income. That we haven't gotten omicron yet is a miracle. I got first wave NYC covid and I do not want to repeat it. It drives home that there are haves and have-nots.

It can sometimes feel like people think their families are more worthwhile than the plebs they "responsibly" send into the covid mines for their own benefit.

And it's all doubly frustrating because intellectually, you know that nobody wants to throw your life away- we're all on the same side. Almost everybody who cares about covid enough to be reading this thread is doing right. People who can work from home should be, and they're not just protecting themselves, they're protecting the rest of us. There's nothing to be upset about.

I'm WFH for now and I 100% agree with all of this. If you're lucky enough to WFH you need to recognize how lucky and privileged you are. At the same time I don't blame anyone for fighting hard for WFH against WFO'ers who say "if I need to be in the office, everyone does".

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I'm privileged that I can do some of my work from home, but I've really been breaking lately because people in my company working from home has made my life and most of my work so much more loving difficult. I have to spend a lot of time making up for the people working from home, but I'm expected to still meet the same timelines. Some tasks that used to take me one hour now takes ten or more, and all in the lab and not at home.

Mentally I'm at the point of, I don't give a poo poo about how they feel, everyone back to the office because I'm tired of carrying the extra weight and stress.

They made my HR department WFH and she tried to make us come to work during a snowstorm it took 2nd shift 4-6 hours to drive home in, while sitting at her house in the most hard-hit part of the city; telling my boss the roads were fine as it was dumping and the temp dropped to 16 at 5PM, when we go to work at 10PM last week.

Do not loving take your WFH poo poo for granted.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i don't understand how that's a response to what they posted

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mozi posted:

i don't understand how that's a response to what they posted

You get to sit in your loving house instead of go to work through a pandemic, yeah it sucks how everyone took advantage of that to make your work day longer and everything is inefficient as gently caress, at least you aren't actively working through outbreaks and being told 6 days later you had close exposure.

At least you aren't dealing with people who work from home who have completely lost perspective on everything related to in-person because you get to work from home.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

MrQwerty posted:

You get to sit in your loving house instead of go to work through a pandemic, yeah it sucks how everyone took advantage of that to make your work day longer and everything is inefficient as gently caress, at least you aren't actively working through outbreaks and being told 6 days later you had close exposure.

At least you aren't dealing with people who work from home who have completely lost perspective on everything related to in-person because you get to work from home.

That's literally what I'm doing though. I take one day a week at home to do my paperwork but the rest of it is in person in the lab with everyone else in my lab and taking the bus to and from work. And I work longer days every day because of the people who are 100% at home.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/11/world-experts-react-to-england-ending-covid-curbs

quote:

The UK’s prime minister, Boris Johnson, announced this week that he aimed to abolish all Covid regulations, including the requirement to isolate after testing positive, in England from 24 February. Here’s what experts around the world think of that plan, which would make Britain something of an outlier when it comes to coronavirus precautions.

France

France is unlikely to follow the UK in abandoning all coronavirus measures before late March or early April, according to Arnaud Fontanet, a senior epidemiologist at the Pasteur Institute and a member of the government’s scientific advisory council.

Fontanet said measures such as mask wearing, home working and quarantine remained vital in order to slow the number of infections and keep hospital admissions down. “Allowing the virus a free run would be a fundamental error,” he said.

“Quite small changes in behaviour can really influence the dynamic. Reducing contacts by just 20% – a bit of home working, wearing masks in indoor public spaces – now will halve the number of hospital admissions in a fortnight – we know this.”

Fontanet added that France’s vaccine pass, which has been needed since August to access leisure venues – including cafes and restaurants – and use long-distance public transport was also likely to remain in force until spring. “Vaccination, including boosters, is still key.”

He said infections had been falling, “but hospitals are under very heavy pressure and will remain so for some time. It’s too soon to lift restrictions now.”

Although societies will “need to learn to live with the virus”, he said, new variants will emerge and “we will have to decide what is acceptable. Do we accept 300 deaths a day, or are we prepared to reduce contacts again? Societies will have to decide, and different societies may decide differently.”

Jon Henley in Paris

Germany

“Britain’s management of the pandemic is being watched with interest in Germany,” said Johannes Knobloch, an infection prevention specialist at Hamburg’s University Medical Centre.

“It strikes me as quite brave to lift all restrictions at the same time. I would have thought it possible to keep in place some measures that aren’t too troublesome or intrusive – such as mandatory mask-wearing on public transport – but would still slow down the dynamic of new infections.

“Britain’s vaccination rates are encouraging, but the big challenge in the coming months will be to protect those for whom vaccines don’t offer protection, such as people undergoing cancer therapy.”

German states this week took steps to lift some restrictions, such as the rule whereby only those with proof of vaccination or recent recovery are allowed to access non-essential shops. Other rules, including FFP2 mask mandates in shops and on public transport and vaccine passport checks at restaurants and bars, remain in place.

“I don’t see Germany going down the UK’s path quite so quickly,” said Knobloch. “But then you need to bear in mind there are broader philosophical differences in our health system, with avoidance of death still playing a fundamental part in the German system, while Britain’s system places more emphasis on maintaining the ability to work.”

Philip Oltermann in Berlin

Spain

Prof Rafael Bengoa, a former World Health Organization health systems director who is now co-director of the Institute for Health and Strategy in Bilbao, said that while the lifting of restrictions in England would doubtless prove popular, it was premature.

“Because of our bias to normalcy, people want to believe it’s over, which is what politicians are saying,” said Bengoa. “But most of us in public health across Europe are saying that it’s not quite over and it’s not like the flu.”

He said lifting restrictions – especially the use of face masks in interior spaces – would slow down the descent rate of the Omicron wave because people would continue to get infected.

Bengoa also said that people who tested positive for the virus needed to stay in home quarantine for five to seven days. “If you over-normalise the situation – if you lift everything and you say, ‘This is over’ – people will not stay at home for those five or seven days,” he said.

“If you go out and infect children who are not completely vaccinated yet, and you go out and infect vulnerable people and immunocompromised people – and those three groups are not small in numbers – you’re going out to infect people who are still vulnerable. And since this is not like the flu, and it’s quite serious and you can also have long Covid with this, why is it that one needs to precipitate the lifting of restrictions so fast?”

Bengoa said that restrictions could be lifted in two months’ time, but added that Spain’s decision to maintain the use of masks in interior spaces and require people who test positive to self-isolate for seven days would accelerate the containment of the Omicron wave.

Sam Jones in Madrid

Italy

Italy has among the strictest Covid rules in Europe, with health passes required for everything from getting on a bus to going to work, and while the country is cautiously relaxing restrictions as infections and hospitalisations fall – the outdoor mask rule was dropped on Friday – scientists are perplexed by the UK’s plan to scrap quarantine rules for people who test positive for Covid-19, especially with the two countries still registering stubbornly high daily death rates.

“These are political choices, not scientific ones,” said Roberto Burioni, a professor of microbiology and virology at Vita-Salute San Raffaele University in Milan. “We’ve never quarantined people who have the flu, but the flu doesn’t kill two or three hundred people a day.”

Angela Giuffrida in Rome

Greece

In Greece, which has one of Europe’s highest Covid-19 death rates, reaction to the decision to end restrictions was relatively upbeat.

“I think the situation in the UK allows for relaxation of the measures,” said leading epidemiologist Gkikas Magiorkinis. “Given the country’s good vaccination and epidemiological profile, it seems to be a reasonable move.”

Magiorkinis, who sits on the committee of experts that advises the government, said Athens would likely follow suit if, at this point in the pandemic, Greece had similar rates of fatalities, hospitalisations and intubations. “We would end up doing the same,” he said.

“If the health system is not under heavy pressure, we need to use the opportunity to try and return to normality, because if, in five months’ time, there is another mutation, people might not listen to us, and that would be serious.”

Helena Smith in Athens

China

In the past two years, Britain has been used by Chinese media as an unsuccessful example in the fight against Covid. Some Chinese media outlets and social media users call the UK’s approach “lying flat” – tang ping - a term often used to describe individuals who strive for nothing more than what is absolutely essential.

State media cite criticisms over Johnson’s announcement, but Chinese experts have tried to understand the logic behind it, with some expressing admiration. The UK is now the first country prepared to achieve herd immunity, said Prof Chen Wenzhi of Chongqing Medical University. “This is because their scientists have said the peak of the new variant had passed … and suggested the end of the pandemic is in sight.”

Zhang Wenhong, one of the country’s best-known epidemiologists, recently used the UK as an example to persuade the Chinese public to get vaccinated as soon as possible. Citing data from the UK Health Security Agency, he said the reason why some countries could end restrictions was because vaccines had led to a dramatic reduction in hospitalisation and mortality rates.

Vincent Ni

New Zealand

In New Zealand, the epidemiologist and public health expert Prof Michael Baker said the data on hospitalisations and deaths from Covid-19 in the UK told their own story. “The numbers, I think, are screaming out a message [that] the pandemic response has been very poorly managed – the waste of lives, the excessive periods under lockdown and the flip-flopping policies.”

While death rates in the UK were down from their peak, he noted: “In New Zealand that would still be [equivalent to] 20 people dying a day – we would regard that as high mortality … On the face of it, it would certainly seem premature to be relaxing all safeguards.”

Inevitably, Baker said, the results would be felt more harshly by some than others – frontline workers, elderly people, ill people, the immuno-compromised. “That partly reflects just how the virus behaves and who’s most vulnerable, but also the priorities of different governments. Most of us would regard that the balance is not right in the UK in that respect – that there’s a need for greater emphasis on protecting the most vulnerable.”

“In terms of scientific depth, the UK is currently amongst the leading contributors to understanding [the] virus, and combating it at a science level … they gave us the AstraZeneca vaccine and some of the best large population studies in the world,” he said. “The science is absolutely top – it’s just the policy translation has been shockingly poor. That’s one of the frustrating things. We’d normally look to the UK … and they have not given us the leadership we’d hope for.”

Tess McClure in Auckland

Australia

Stuart Turville, associate professor in the immunovirology and pathogenesis program at the Kirby Institute, University of New South Wales, points out that the UK’s “base of immunity” is high and that “the waves of Delta and Omicron (albeit high) did not translate into the deaths that they observed in earlier waves”. But, he said: “There are always people in our community where vaccination is not an option – for example, because their vaccine response is not strong.”

The virologist’s primary concern was that Omicron would be replaced by another variant. “We planned for Delta and got Omicron, and although we didn’t have the lockdowns of the past, it did create significant disruption, not to mention those that also sadly passed away. I have always said it is better to be vigilant and cautious.”

He added: “It’s very difficult to predict this virus, though. It has made a fool of many of us.”

Melissa Davey in Sydney

Some savage stuff here lol, all of it true

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

That's literally what I'm doing though. I take one day a week at home to do my paperwork but the rest of it is in person in the lab with everyone else in my lab and taking the bus to and from work. And I work longer days every day because of the people who are 100% at home.

I misread, sorry. That's a load of poo poo, and WFH has really elevated a class separation unlike anything I've ever seen.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

The bolded quote from Germany really doesn't mince words.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Bonafide evidently hired some new staff, because 150 of the 200 masks I ordered last month are delivering today.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Uh, what

https://twitter.com/HeidiNBC/status/1492206246551769096

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Super duper sucks.

I look forward to buying a kid-sized PAPR for my daughter in the near future

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 11, 2022

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I feel seen. Thank you.

No one asks to be born in a small town with few job prospects and little hope for moving up in the world except trying to save up enough between financial disasters to leave.
When I said my piece a few days ago I had just heard my favorite co-worker got out of the hospital, who thanks to complications from covid cannot walk anymore and might never regain that ability. They're lucky to be alive and he's vaccinated, too.
It's going to be years if not decades after the pandemic before we really understand the impact it has had on society and culture and not just by the numbers of dead or infected. Whole lot of cracks in society got widened.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Why not start the process of two doses now? What's the point of delaying? They know at least two doses will be approved, and likely the dosage, just.... why? I'm so angry at this bullshit.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The family I know that has their toddler in the Pfizer study said they just got their 3rd shot a few weeks ago, so hopefully it isn't too long for everyone with small kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILoveCovidandDeath
Feb 11, 2022

by Pragmatica
Admit edit: nope.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)