Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

we had the 3 Ninjas movies lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hobojim posted:

I used to have this taped in very low quality on a VHS, just after The Last Dragon. The humble beginnings of JCVD lol

These childhood things are probably why I like Cobra Kai I guess

So you were influenced by the ghost of I Can't Believe It's Not Bruce Lee?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

So you were influenced by the ghost of I Can't Believe It's Not Bruce Lee?

Wasn't everybody?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hobojim posted:

I used to have this taped in very low quality on a VHS, just after The Last Dragon. The humble beginnings of JCVD lol

These childhood things are probably why I like Cobra Kai I guess

I wonder if enjoying the dumb teen drama vs the olds is a generational thing- like I only saw the karate kids in the early 2000s, because my dad was like "yo tiny idiot watch these tapes while I go to the bar" in the evening. I loved them, but I don't have the proper 80s nostalgia someone who saw them originally would have.

e: also not to get personally heavy but my dad was a (conscripted, he basically did the real-life starship troopers service for citizenship crap) Vietnam veteran with severe PTSD that ended up killing him. I wonder if the Kreese/Silver stuff at the time and in Cobra Kai if he could have seen it, would hit him a lot more than I knew at the time. Watching Karate Kid films back in Wisseburi where his own worthless nazi rear end in a top hat dad was from is one of the last and best happy memories of him :unsmith:

In conclusion, lay down your guns and if you must fight, use karate, especially eagle fang style.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 2, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wonder if enjoying the dumb teen drama vs the olds is a generational thing- like I only saw the karate kids in the early 2000s, because my dad was like "yo tiny idiot watch these tapes while I go to the bar" in the evening. I loved them, but I don't have the proper 80s nostalgia someone who saw them originally would have.

Eh, that's honestly how I watched them when I was a kid, except I was a kid way before you and got them from a local rental place.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The cheesy melodrama is the heart of the show though. Like, I get it, it's a shockingly good netflix show based on the goddam Karate Kid franchise. The original actors are all great.

But it's always been goofy. This is Riverdale, except the 30-years-olds in high school solve their drama with combat instead of boring romance.

I mean, I get that, but everyone has their own cheesy limits I guess. The couples dancing and fighting was a bit much for me.

It's all good, the tournament was strong IMO, though I'll always stan Miguel on the show so I'm always a bit disappointed when he gets the short end of the stick.

No Retreat No Surrender is one of my favorite action flicks

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

iamsosmrt posted:

It's all good, the tournament was strong IMO, though I'll always stan Miguel on the show so I'm always a bit disappointed when he gets the short end of the stick.

Yeah I really wish Miguel was given a cooler moment earlier in the tourney the same way Eli and Sam were. They both got to have big eureka moments and style on some of the secondary named Cobra Kai kids before their title fights with the two main Cobra Kai antagonists. Miguel gets the same time in the montage/skills competition as everyone else and then gets 30 seconds into his fight with Eli before hurting his back and peacing out. Having even a short fight of him shutting out someone would have balanced it out a bit, and as a bonus added some extra juice to Dmitri's comment that "nobody has ever beaten Miguel".

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Eli should've been allowed to just straight up beat Miguel instead of the injury copout, you could have had the same character moment of Miguel realising he's just being used as a pawn in the Karate Wars etc. anyway

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I legit thought it looked like Miguel was doing a Ryu/Ken hurricane kick for a second and got super hyped. The sudden twist into what looked like a back breaking injury got me pretty good.

Overall though, Miguel was just kinda there, even the little tension with Sam didn't have a real payoff or growth moment. She wasn't even given a reaction to his disappearing to Mexico.

I also wish Johnny had more reactions during the tourney, Hawk was his pupil for awhile, I think he was even officially Eagle Fang before he quit karate?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Johnny felt bizarrely absent during the tournament. He's there, he has his re-reunion with Daniel, but ultimately it feels like a showdown between Miyagi-do and Cobra Kai when it should really be Eagle Fang and Johnny in the spotlight.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Johnny felt bizarrely absent during the tournament. He's there, he has his re-reunion with Daniel, but ultimately it feels like a showdown between Miyagi-do and Cobra Kai when it should really be Eagle Fang and Johnny in the spotlight.

Johnny's moments with Sam specifically are a highlight of the tourney for me, even just the nod and the shout he gives out when she wins her "first" match. But yeah the shuffling of Hawk to Miyagi-do and Miguel bowing out really puts Johnny and Eagle Fang on the sideline for a ton of the tournament, which was kind of the point of my last post. If they had shown Miguel to be dominant prior to his injury and not shot EF to seventh place after the skills tournament it might have made it more balanced instead of just feeling like EF was an embarrassing third wheel to real contenders. Johnny could have also given more actual advice to Sam during her fight outside of just agreeing with Daniel. Honestly more "real" coaching like "Tory drops her left shoulder before doing a high kick" would have really improved stuff over all the "believe in yourself and trust your dreams!" stuff we got.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I was reading about klingons on some fandom wiki (nerrrrrrrrrrd) and they were advertising the Cobra Kai wiki was getting more traffic than every one except Harry Potter. Here's hopin Johnny and the gang can take down that wizard.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Guy A. Person posted:

Johnny's moments with Sam specifically are a highlight of the tourney for me, even just the nod and the shout he gives out when she wins her "first" match. But yeah the shuffling of Hawk to Miyagi-do and Miguel bowing out really puts Johnny and Eagle Fang on the sideline for a ton of the tournament, which was kind of the point of my last post. If they had shown Miguel to be dominant prior to his injury and not shot EF to seventh place after the skills tournament it might have made it more balanced instead of just feeling like EF was an embarrassing third wheel to real contenders. Johnny could have also given more actual advice to Sam during her fight outside of just agreeing with Daniel. Honestly more "real" coaching like "Tory drops her left shoulder before doing a high kick" would have really improved stuff over all the "believe in yourself and trust your dreams!" stuff we got.

I think it would've sold the ideological conflict (and the fallacies inherent to it) better if we got to see the actual karate science behind it, too. Show how Daniel's advice keeps Sam from losing points, but Johnny's is essential for her getting points. It'd add a bit more strength to the coaching scenes that was lacking in "I tried offense but it isn't working :( " "Have you tried defense?" "Oh yeah!"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
now I don't know poo poo about actual karates but any dojo that only teaches offense or only teaches defense seems like they'd be really easy to beat as, like, a matter of common sense to...anyone.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"She's blocking all my punches! What should I do?"

"Have you tried punching...with your feet?"

*inspirational music swells*

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Wxiog5K98

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BrianWilly posted:

now I don't know poo poo about actual karates but any dojo that only teaches offense or only teaches defense seems like they'd be really easy to beat as, like, a matter of common sense to...anyone.

I think the show kind of touched on that and, to me, it was more a reflection about the mentalities of the different dojos than "what works in a fight". It's been a pretty central theme for every season (pacifism vs aggression) and the last couple have focused on the relative merits and limitations of each

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think it's actually really effective at tying the fight scenes to the personal drama. In another show it would just be two people fighting and one would win because their karate is 'stronger', in this show someone who knows absolutely nothing about karate can look at the choreography and see 'oh yes this person is fighting very aggresively whereas this person is defending and counter-attacking'.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

That championship fight was maybe the only time I've thought Sam looked somewhat believable as a karate practitioner so I thought it was pretty great.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Oh, don't get me wrong. The clash of philosophy and mindset is friggin great, and part of why I love Cobra Kai so much. I just wish the characters didn't sound like muppets by taking that theme and making it a little too blunt. Even something like "I'm trying, but I can't get in there." "Be patient and let the opportunities come to you" would've sounded better without getting too deep into karate technobabble.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

iamsosmrt posted:

That championship fight was maybe the only time I've thought Sam looked somewhat believable as a karate practitioner so I thought it was pretty great.

I agree. Sam always looked really slow and weak in previous seasons, but she at least acted like she could do karate in the championship. Tory and Robby always looked good somehow, and I used to like Miguel, but like some people said, this season, he seemed kind of chubby and slow.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't know nothing about fighting sports so I can only say "looks good" or "looks fake," but which (if any) actors coming in had actual martial arts training beforehand? Hawk always looked like he was having a blast being psycho karate kid so my money is on him.

AgentHaiTo posted:

he seemed kind of chubby and slow.

As someone who was in good shape before covid, drat I wish my chubby was Miguel's chubby.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Part of early season 1's charm for me was how bad and cheesy the karate fighting looked, especially the adults. They've mostly all improved over time, probably as the series got bigger and they realized they actually have something here.

I would guess they actually started putting all the actors in legit, rigorous training. I assume half the main cast were actors first and half were athletes/practitioners turned actors.

And yeah, Miguel did look a bit chubby and they seemed to withold him from intricate action sequences, I hope he's healthy and ok. Someone said he's been cast in a superhero flick?

Full disclosure I haven't looked up anyone's background so forgive my ignorance if I'm missing anything.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 6, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Miguel's actor is going to star in Blue Beetle, yeah.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Too bad William Zabka would not work as Booster Gold, cause that two actors do have chemistry.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I still can't believe they're making a loving Blue Beetle movie

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I'm pretty sure that this season just caught Xolo Maridueña in a "bulk" phase in getting ready for Blue Beetle. Hollywood does some pretty hosed up training cycles to get dudes jacked for roles, and it does appear that he was pretty jacked in that scene with his shirt off. By the time Blue Beetle comes out he'll have started on the weight cut and the fat face will be gone.

EDIT: viv hosed up might be the wrong word.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 10, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nothing hosed up with a Bulk/Cut

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Just binged the season and my only complaint is that cousin Vanessa says "bruschettA"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I also don't understand why I'm so attracted to Johnny/Zabka but I've stopped trying to fight it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Anne Whateley posted:

I also don't understand why I'm so attracted to Johnny/Zabka but I've stopped trying to fight it

It's because he's perfect tbqh, absolute hottie

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I really hope this is a huge breakout role for him, he's doing a killer job (in addition to being weirdly hot)

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Just binged the season and my only complaint is that cousin Vanessa says "bruschettA"

Italians are vermin anyway

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

I really hope this is a huge breakout role for him, he's doing a killer job (in addition to being weirdly hot)

Honestly, the whole cast is absolutely stellar. I just went and binged the first two Karate Kid movies and then Seasons 1 and 2 of Cobra Kai over the last week-ish and I loved every minute of it. The first episode was probably the funniest thing I've seen in a long while.

Flesnolk posted:

Italians are vermin anyway

Okay, settle down Daniel LaRacist :v:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

nine-gear crow posted:

Honestly, the whole cast is absolutely stellar. I just went and binged the first two Karate Kid movies and then Seasons 1 and 2 of Cobra Kai over the last week-ish and I loved every minute of it. The first episode was probably the funniest thing I've seen in a long while.

oh, good news, you get to see karate kid part 3 for the first time, the best and most perfect film of the decade (century??)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ram dass in hell posted:

oh, good news, you get to see karate kid part 3 for the first time, the best and most perfect film of the decade (century??)

I got about half way into Karate Kid 3 and then kind of turned it off because it was like 2 AM and I'd just powered through the first two back-to-back. I'll go back and finish it before starting season 4, but there was too little Terry Silver and John Kreese being Best Evil Bros in it for my liking. I need more Terry Silver being batshit nuts and spending millions of dollars to get revenge on a random teenager he doesn't know and who didn't actually wrong him in any way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I got about half way into Karate Kid 3 and then kind of turned it off because it was like 2 AM and I'd just powered through the first two back-to-back. I'll go back and finish it before starting season 4, but there was too little Terry Silver and John Kreese being Best Evil Bros in it for my liking. I need more Terry Silver being batshit nuts and spending millions of dollars to get revenge on a random teenager he doesn't know and who didn't actually wrong him in any way.

Yeah, everybody involved with KK3 was basically 'we screwed up and just made the first one again' but I think there's at least some ironic fun there to be had.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, everybody involved with KK3 was basically 'we screwed up and just made the first one again' but I think there's at least some ironic fun there to be had.

KK2 was legit great though. I really liked Miyagi and Sato's plotline and I'm digging the way Cobra Kai is slowly starting to mirror that with Daniel and Johnny.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

nine-gear crow posted:

Honestly, the whole cast is absolutely stellar.

Agreed. The acting on this show does a lot of heavy lifting and nobody stands out as bad at all or even mediocre really.

I keep going to bat for Zabka landing some more serious roles moving forward based on the work he's done on this show. Tarantino could put him to use I think or maybe put him in a show like True Detective. He seems to have some real chops and, while there are worse fates than being typecast as Karate Johnny, I'd like to see what he could do in a serious film or even an HBO series that lets him do something with more range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Cooka da meataballa