Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Zurtilik posted:

Are they all promised to just be re-released or is there potential for entirely new tracks?
I'd imagine the Tour tracks will be considered entirely new to most people who never played the phone game, but no their messaging makes it clear that it's just remastered versions of classic courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I have decided once more not to get the expansion pack. There's just not the games I want to try out just yet (or that I have the time to play), and it is still a lot more money than I'm willing to pay annually at that.

I'll just pay for the Mario Kart DLC, 25 euro is not bad.

I thought about our Family Plan thread, which is a great idea, but I'm a bit shy about being beholden to internet people I think.

Did they add former DLC to the expansion pass? Like BotW, Hyrule Warriors, or Splatoon 2? Or is it just AC and Mario Kart at the moment? It seems like more of a rip-off than I realized at first.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not gonna financeshame anyone and if you don't personally see the value in it then that's fine, but it's $2 per month. I'd struggle to call that a ripoff regardless of what's being offered.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Expansion Pass went from "It's a little expensive for the N64 games but I'll get a little use out of the AC DLC too" to basically paying for itself with the Mario Kart DLC.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Did they add former DLC to the expansion pass? Like BotW, Hyrule Warriors, or Splatoon 2? Or is it just AC and Mario Kart at the moment? It seems like more of a rip-off than I realized at first.
It's just those two.

Personally, having already blown money on purchased the expansion pass I'd be happy if it covered all their future season passes as I might actually make use of those right away and I think it would help justify the subscription service which is otherwise hilariously bad now compared to Microsoft and Sony.

They may not have added older titles to it if they don't respond well to someone's DLC subscription lapsing. Like, if you play BotW on a Switch that's primary for an eShop account that's purchased the DLC, but playing under a different account, and then you make that Switch non-primary, the user should no longer have access to the DLC. But what actually happens? Do the DLC bits gracefully disappear? Do they persist when they shouldn't? Does the whole thing blow up?

The above is a bit of a contrived scenario but is something that can easily happen when DLC Is part of a subscription, so they probably only want to include titles that they know will tolerate that situation well.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Had my fingers crossed that the Pokken Tournament DLC would be included in the Xpass but I guess its not first party enough

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

This is what I was talking about. I just stole this list from a kotaku comment. If they really are porting courses out of the Mario Kart Mobile game, all of the following might be in the new dlc.

This list doesn't add up to 48 but also doesn't include Tokyo Blur (Tour), Choco Mountain (Tour), or Coconut Mall. Even with those 3 course added to everything that has been in Tour, we aren't at 48.

Original Courses:
- New York Minute
- London Loop
- Vancouver Velocity
- Los Angeles Laps
- Merry Mountain
- Berlin Byways
- Sydney Sprint
- Singapore Speedway

Retro Courses:
SNES:
- Mario Circuit 1, 2, 3
- Donut Plains 1, 2
- Ghost Valley 1
- Choco Island 1
- Vanilla Lake 1, 2
- Koopa Troopa Beach 2

64:
- Koopa Troopa Beach
- Kalimari Desert
- Frappe Snowland

Super Circuit:
- Bowser’s Castle 1, 2
- Cheep-Cheep Island
- Sunset Wilds

Double Dash:
- Dino Dino Jungle

DS:
- Luigi’s Mansion
- Waluigi Pinball
- DK Pass
- Airship Fortress

Wii:
- DK Summit
- Maple Treeway

Kart 7:
- Daisy Hills
- Cheep Cheep Lagoon
- Shy Guy Bazaar
- Mario Circuit
- Rock Rock Mountain
- Wario Shipyard
- Rosalina’s Ice World
- Bowser’s Castle
- Rainbow Road

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 11, 2022

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

External Organs posted:

Hello switcheroos. Looking for recommendations for games that can simultaneously be played online and couch co-op so my wife and I can play with my in laws in another state. So far Super Mario 3D World is our main thing and while it's hella fun, I'm just looking for something with a different flavor. I believe this also works for smash and Mario Kart, so other recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!

I think Mario Kart 8 can do this?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

External Organs posted:

Hello switcheroos. Looking for recommendations for games that can simultaneously be played online and couch co-op so my wife and I can play with my in laws in another state. So far Super Mario 3D World is our main thing and while it's hella fun, I'm just looking for something with a different flavor. I believe this also works for smash and Mario Kart, so other recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!

Mario Party Superstars if you're all down to screw each other over

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Retro Bowl is a lot of fun if anyone is looking for a football fix before Sunday. I played it a bunch on iOS and jumped on the preorder as soon as I saw it pop up. Just started it this morning and already 6 games into my first season.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

Not gonna financeshame anyone and if you don't personally see the value in it then that's fine, but it's $2 per month. I'd struggle to call that a ripoff regardless of what's being offered.

Where the heck did I read 80 euro from? That'd still be 6.50 a month which isn't bad, but it's not something I would make much use of. And I said rip-off in the fact that it's only two DLC so far when I feel it could've been more. But you're right, it's not that bad.

2 more euro or 4 total a month is far more bearable, but still I'd rather just own the DLC than have it be at risk of lapsing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I have decided once more not to get the expansion pack.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'll just pay for the Mario Kart DLC, 25 euro is not bad.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I dunno what it is in your moon units but it's $30 more than the standard online here.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
$25 for a steak with two sides?

Tell you what, keep the two sides and just bring me the steak for $25.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

I dunno what it is in your moon units but it's $30 more than the standard online here.

I definitely misread 80 euro somewhere. It's also just 50 euro as well so it's not all that bad either. I don't like the idea that if I let the Pass lapse I lose the DLC content, but I suppose I could just outright purchase it then.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

$25 for a steak with two sides?

Tell you what, keep the two sides and just bring me the steak for $25.

It's more the about the one time fee versus the annual one. What I really have to decide is if I'll ever want to get the expansion pass in general because if so then it's redundant what I'm doing. And I'm just not sure if I'm that invested in playing N64 games. I'd love to see Wave Race, Mario Party, and especially Smash bros show up on it.

That image reminds me of that weird DS game with rabbit people put out by Sega. Can't remember what that was called.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Warlock of Firetop Mountain is on sale for $3 on the eshop down from $30. This was originally a physical gamebook by Steve Jackson mimicking the "Choose Your Own Adventure" series but with roleplaying elements like health points, items, and dice rolls.

This is not the version in the Fighting Fantasy compilation. This adaptation has a higher production value. It has additional unlockable characters, 3D engine, checkpoints, a mini tactical grid for combat, and new sections and illustrations. As you explore the set pieces and miniatures plop down like pieces on a board game. It's cute.

This looks super neat and I've gotten into tabletop gaming recently. Could be fun to pick up. I love the aesthetic.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Best Buy got my OLED in a day early, I get to pick it up after work :toot:

The Satisfye order I placed the same day (and paid $10 shipping for!) won't arrive til the 28th :ohno:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's confirmed that you lose the mk8 DLC if you let the NSO sub lapse, right?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

It's confirmed that you lose the mk8 DLC if you let the NSO sub lapse, right?

That's how it works with Animal Crossing stuff, so one would assume so.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

still I'd rather just own the DLC than have it be at risk of lapsing.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's more the about the one time fee versus the annual one. What I really have to decide is if I'll ever want to get the expansion pass in general because if so then it's redundant what I'm doing.

Nah, I'm with you on this, this is my mindset as well.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Warlock of Firetop Mountain is on sale for $3 on the eshop down from $30. This was originally a physical gamebook by Steve Jackson mimicking the "Choose Your Own Adventure" series but with roleplaying elements like health points, items, and dice rolls.

This is not the version in the Fighting Fantasy compilation. This adaptation has a higher production value. It has additional unlockable characters, 3D engine, checkpoints, a mini tactical grid for combat, and new sections and illustrations. As you explore the set pieces and miniatures plop down like pieces on a board game. It's cute.

I loved the boardgame aesthetic of Hitman Go, so I'll check this out!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MassRafTer posted:

The Expansion Pass went from "It's a little expensive for the N64 games but I'll get a little use out of the AC DLC too" to basically paying for itself with the Mario Kart DLC.

I think I am just going to get the $25 DLC and not mess with the expansion pass for it, even though I own the expansion pass.

The thing that pisses me off about the expansion pass is that it doesn't work for all profiles on your account if you have an individual plan, like I do. So for Animal Crossing Happy Home Paradise, only my character could go to the island and the other people in my family couldn't unless they played as my character. Which caused some drama with my daughter. But then she played it like 3 times and hasn't touched it again, so HHP wasn't her thing anyway.

I don't know... It makes me wonder if I am going to be able to play local multiplayer with the new Mario Kart DLC if I have the Individual Expansion Pack. Like is it going to be some bullshit where all the profiles on my account need to have the expansion pack as well, like with Animal Crossing? I assume that if you just buy it outright that it won't be a problem

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That image reminds me of that weird DS game with rabbit people put out by Sega. Can't remember what that was called.

Project Rub/Feel The Magic! RUB IT!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I can't believe I have to wait a whole 6 weeks before I can play as Vending Machine Kirby

Stupid Elden Ring isn't going to satiate. I need the vending machine Kirby.

Play Triangle Strategy in ~3 weeks, and Stranger of Paradise in 4 weeks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Astro7x posted:

I don't know... It makes me wonder if I am going to be able to play local multiplayer with the new Mario Kart DLC if I have the Individual Expansion Pack. Like is it going to be some bullshit where all the profiles on my account need to have the expansion pack as well, like with Animal Crossing? I assume that if you just buy it outright that it won't be a problem

My guess is that as long as you load up Mario Kart under the profile that has the expansion, you'll be able to play multiplayer with anyone local.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Triangle Strategy's first 3 chapters are out and carry the save
It's lush and the art direction nails low res

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Still can't believe we're getting live a live in this style. I had hoped for ff6 and chrono trigger, I never thought in a million years that my favourite snes game would get attention after thirty years languishing in obscurity

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

flavor.flv posted:

Still can't believe we're getting live a live in this style. I had hoped for ff6 and chrono trigger, I never thought in a million years that my favourite snes game would get attention after thirty years languishing in obscurity

Never even heard of Live a Live before, but it was definitely the highlight of the direct. Love the concept of multiple time periods & the HD-2D is gorgeous. It'll look great on the OLED.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

Triangle Strategy's first 3 chapters are out and carry the save
It's lush and the art direction nails low res

I remember having big opinions on Triangle Strategy's first demo, so much so that I filled out surveys in detail about what I thought didn't quite work. But I have NO memory of what those complaints were. I think I had just come off a long stretch of Into the Breach, and everything about TS felt slow in comparison.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
The DLC is a nice bonus if you have the expansion pass already, but it doesn’t justify it on its own, not even close. To play all the MK levels you’d need 2 years of service at $30 or $50 per year depending on whether you already have online, since the levels are being released until at least mid next year. And then if you want to keep playing them after that, it’s another $30-$50 per year. As opposed to a single $25 purchase and you can still play them 10 years from now without spending another dime.

To make the expansion pass truly worth the value, they’d probably need all the DLC for every first-party game, and even then, most people who would care about the older stuff have it already. LOL at the mega drive and N64 games.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL in 2 years the Switch 2 is coming out and the purchases won't carry over and you'll just be buying Mario Kart all over again.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Xenoblade Chronicles X and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are the only games in living memory that I ended up returning, so I tuned out of the Direct in the middle of 3's announcement. The first XC isn't perfect, but I really liked it and it's a shame that its sequels just refuse to have the same vibe.

More Mario Kart DLC is a major win, though, especially because I'm signing up for the Expansion Pass later this month. I have a handful of buddies I still play couch multiplayer with so the DLC and Mario Strikers were huge for us.

Oh, and Chrono Cross. That was a random but welcome shock.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Xenoblade 3 thing was literally the last trailer shown haha

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Pirate Captain posted:

The DLC is a nice bonus if you have the expansion pass already, but it doesn’t justify it on its own, not even close. To play all the MK levels you’d need 2 years of service at $30 or $50 per year depending on whether you already have online, since the levels are being released until at least mid next year. And then if you want to keep playing them after that, it’s another $30-$50 per year. As opposed to a single $25 purchase and you can still play them 10 years from now without spending another dime.

To make the expansion pass truly worth the value, they’d probably need all the DLC for every first-party game, and even then, most people who would care about the older stuff have it already. LOL at the mega drive and N64 games.
I paid $2.50 and played 50 hours of the greatest video game ever made, Paper Mario. Checkmate.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

3 looks a lot closer to 1 than 2 or X

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

LOL in 2 years the Switch 2 is coming out and the purchases won't carry over and you'll just be buying Mario Kart all over again.

Yeah that's likely. It'll take a major title to get me shelve my Switch for its successor, like BotW 2. But really, I'd like to keep up with my Switch for as long as I can, there are so many games on it. At most upgrade to an OLED, which I'm reluctant to do as it was originally a gift and that seems a bit lovely to do.

American McGay posted:

I paid $2.50 and played 50 hours of the greatest video game ever made, Paper Mario. Checkmate.

That wasn't the first time you played it, right? Ignorance is saving me on that one since I've never played any Paper Mario, aside from Super Paper Mario, so I can't miss what I never knew.

It's the thing that's keeping me from blowing so much money on games I'll never play in general in fact...

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001

RC Cola posted:

Skyward sword on the switch. Can I use a pro controller or am I doing myself a disservice?

I just finished Skyward Sword last night. I've seen pretty much everyone rank it as one of the worst Zeldas but I actually really enjoyed it. Disclaimer: I played Link to the Past and BotW but missed everything in between so maybe even a bad Zelda is good.

That said, I started using the joycons and was repeatedly embarrassed by the first 'boss'. Switched to using the Pro Controller and other than having to hold L so the right stick controls the camera it is miles better.

Controversial opinion - I liked Skyward Sword better than the Links Awakening remake. LA just felt like a not as good LttP and Skyward Sword was more unique. But again i missed all the in betweens so maybe if I played Majora's Mask or whatever I would change my mind.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Xenoblade 2 is good actually

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

John Wick of Dogs posted:

3 looks a lot closer to 1 than 2 or X

I'll concede this point, but I've already been burned twice before so I can wait for a concrete goon consensus.

EDIT:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

At most upgrade to an OLED, which I'm reluctant to do as it was originally a gift and that seems a bit lovely to do.

Haha. This is exactly the reason I hesitate to trade my Bloodborne machine PS5 for a Series X.

Thunder Bear fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 11, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I put 130 hours into it, didn’t bother to do the ending, didn’t bother to do the DLC I paid for, and every minute I was like “I hate this gatchashit I hope whoever designed this gets beat up with a pool noodle” and “I liked this better when Tatsu was food”

Xenoblade 1 was good, though.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I put 130 hours into it, didn’t bother to do the ending, didn’t bother to do the DLC I paid for, and every minute I was like “I hate this gatchashit I hope whoever designed this gets beat up with a pool noodle” and “I liked this better when Tatsu was food”

Xenoblade 1 was good, though.

Thats crazy cuz I put only 75 hours into it and beat the game it was a grand ol time