Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's 2am in korea right now btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I universally hate stories in games, so turned the dialogue off in this asap. On a whim I installed the Korean VO and it's great. Very atmospheric, and no cringy waffle (that I can understand anyway.)

Got past the first Big Event thing at around Lv25, and lol, there are suddenly a hundred new things to do. A bit overwhelmed, but it all seems cool.
Big Event was very cool.

This is the first MMO that has clicked with me. It has just enough cool, sorta ARPG-lite-ish-esque vibes I think.

Shame the servers are dead

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Is there a decent amount of progression you can make at "endgame" that isn't locked behind daily/weekly stuff? Daily chores are my least favorite style of gaming and Lost Ark seems pretty drat heavy on them from what I'm reading, especially with all the stuff about how if you want to be efficient you have to make alts and do daily chores on them as well.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Adolf Glitter posted:

I universally hate stories in games, so turned the dialogue off in this asap. On a whim I installed the Korean VO and it's great. Very atmospheric, and no cringy waffle (that I can understand anyway.)

Got past the first Big Event thing at around Lv25, and lol, there are suddenly a hundred new things to do. A bit overwhelmed, but it all seems cool.
Big Event was very cool.

This is the first MMO that has clicked with me. It has just enough cool, sorta ARPG-lite-ish-esque vibes I think.

Shame the servers are dead
The game gets cooler after the big event and way cooler once you get to other regions.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

the other regions and islands are much better than the starting continent's "demons bad"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Samael posted:

"A matter of hours" lol lmao

I personally am going to use this time to set my ancient boomer brain to the task of understanding what the gently caress an engraving is

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The best part about this MMO story is that the story is not endless undead. Demon's are close, but it's no undead that every other fantasy MMO has.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Soothing Vapors posted:

I personally am going to use this time to set my ancient boomer brain to the task of understanding what the gently caress an engraving is

Just look up the quests that give you the class specialization books asap and ignore the rest for now imo

If you really want a second one now get the boss damage one

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

so many people who are playing blind are going to get screwed over economically/taken advantage of in the AH because they invested in the wrong engravings with the limited free books you get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxpQ_VUjgTQ

https://lostarklife.com

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
is there some live updated overview of the "popularity" of servers to make it easier to figure out where to sign up?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Protip for engravings while leveling - you should get enough class engraving books to unlock the first level of 1 of your class engravings by doing the main quest and then the purple quest from Thirain before leaving Luterra at level 35ish. This lets you slot that class engraving into both slots in your gear screen (the 2 bottom left item slots) which will give you 6 points in your class engraving. Some class engravings are massive dps upgrades even with just the first level enabled and it can make a big difference.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Suprfli6 posted:

Protip for engravings while leveling - you should get enough class engraving books to unlock the first level of 1 of your class engravings by doing the main quest and then the purple quest from Thirain before leaving Luterra at level 35ish. This lets you slot that class engraving into both slots in your gear screen (the 2 bottom left item slots) which will give you 6 points in your class engraving. Some class engravings are massive dps upgrades even with just the first level enabled and it can make a big difference.

Can you do those quests on multiple characters to get the "freebie" engravings for each new character or are the rewards a one time thing?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kliras posted:

is there some live updated overview of the "popularity" of servers to make it easier to figure out where to sign up?

Una is where you want to play since you're a goon, but the server is closed to new players right now. :(

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I said come in! posted:

The best part about this MMO story is that the story is not endless undead. Demon's are close, but it's no undead that every other fantasy MMO has.

They could have at least come up with a name for them beyond "the demons".

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

can I go mayhem zerk right off the hop when I get class engravings or is that more of a T3 thing?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

I said come in! posted:

Una is where you want to play since you're a goon, but the server is closed to new players right now. :(
yeah that was the original plan - like everyone else. seems people generally don't know what the backup is

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
No Armen Hammer, you ARE the demons.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I heard something about this game already being out in other countries so maybe someone can answer my question.

Does this game actually have a decent combat system or does it do the Black Desert thing where they made a combat system that looks decent but all the encounters can be beaten by just mashing one button?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I heard something about this game already being out in other countries so maybe someone can answer my question.

Does this game actually have a decent combat system or does it do the Black Desert thing where they made a combat system that looks decent but all the encounters can be beaten by just mashing one button?

It has really good combat.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

kliras posted:

is this page just straight up dead (500) for everyone else?

https://www.playlostark.com/en-us/support/server-status

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
This Page Isn't Working^^^ lol big new world smell coming out again

Suprfli6 posted:

engravings look fun as hell any tips for sorc engravings?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Jack Trades posted:

you literally can't mash one button and get anywhere, you have a minimum of 8 skills with varying CDs to juggle and your one spammable attack is a gap filler that does nothing but gently massage enemies

I don't like this game very much, but I will definitely say that the combat feels good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

You absolutely need to use all of your skills, actively dodge attacks, and for group content actually work as a team (buffs/debuffs are important, bosses have parts to break, you need to stagger bosses for extra damage or other effects and some classes/skills have more stagger damage, support classes are really strong). I never played Black Desert but Lost Ark definitely has actual combat that needs teamwork for group stuff.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Closest game I can compare the combat to is Tera, but with a different camera angle and more mobs with less hp, generally

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

It's the best action MMORPG to date in my opinion. Black Desert is total poop and always has been.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Can't believe the Switch Flippers asleep.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

he haunts us like a grim spectre

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

engravings look fun as hell any tips for sorc engravings?

Saintone made a good video on sorc builds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFZ87Hr58cY

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Saint Freak posted:

It's like 3AM in Korea, dude was tired.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

kliras posted:

it's 2am in korea right now btw

Shouldn't that not matter? AGS should be running this, and the servers were already live regardless, so the issue is likely with the switchover to true live.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Good Citizen posted:

Closest game I can compare the combat to is Tera, but with a different camera angle and more mobs with less hp, generally

Yeah I've been feeling this too. For better (combat) and for worse (high heels/ panty armour, and grind).

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Maybe AGS added some new cosmetics that are crashing the game, nah that's too crazy it would never happen.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Arzachel posted:

Saintone made a good video on sorc builds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFZ87Hr58cY

This is super helpful thank you!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Fried Sushi posted:

Maybe AGS added some new cosmetics that are crashing the game, nah that's too crazy it would never happen.

hopefully I can make my male archer look like a himbo after this update

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Arzachel posted:

Saintone made a good video on sorc builds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFZ87Hr58cY

This is what I've been using and Saintone definitely knows what he is talking about. Mostly you can do whatever you want while you level though and not have too many problems. I do recommend putting points into the big skills he says to focus on, because they make dudes blow up real good.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Decided to grab the gold pack because I am a sucker for all MMOs but the packs are no longer on the Steam page to buy :saddowns:

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i’ve also followed the Saintone sorc guide but i hate youtube videos, so here is a text explanation: https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/build-guides/sorceress-leveling-guide

i used this to hit 50 very quickly, and had a loving BLAST doing it (lol)

after 50, there are more guides to follow in the links. also, keep in mind that the names of spells and stuff are a little different, but the icons are the same in game. that threw me off a bit when i was reading this stuff but you get used to the differences if you just follow the icons.

also, i’m using the soulfist one from the maxroll site, and it’s also really good and clear to follow.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Syrinxx posted:

Decided to grab the gold pack because I am a sucker for all MMOs but the packs are no longer on the Steam page to buy :saddowns:

You could check amazon itself...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094TDDNGP

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
If you also have Amazon Prime Amazon is giving away free stuff looks like every month:

https://gaming.amazon.com/loot/lostark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sorc feels like cheating leveling compared to some of the melee classes. All abilities are wide aoes. Some of the widest hitting one are also the hardest hitting ones in general so you use them to chunk bosses. No resource management while leveling, just cast whatever you want thats out of cooldown

Scrapper early leveling in comparison is painful.