Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

VideoGameVet posted:

What's the heat->electrical conversion? Steam Turbines?

And visa-versa? Resistance elements?

The thing I linked uses multi-junction thermphotovoltaics to extract energy by radiant heat. MPVs are a pretty cool, mature technology you don't see around that much aside from concentrated solar. They can convert photons over multiple/wider bands than ordinary PV, at higher temps, and higher power per unit area. The liquid silicon goes through graphite pipes radiating onto the MPVs. It's a fuckton of radiation per unit area at those temperatures. Apparently turbine systems capable of working at those temperatures haven't been developed, so MPVs make more sense. They also can respond faster than turbines to changing demand.

Going the other way, it's just resistance - which is 100% efficient of course.

As a side note, the very high temperatures are a specific (ha) advantage of silicon. With heat engines (whatever kind), a higher temperature difference between hot and cold reservoirs means higher efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
one of the ones i read about gets around the turbine issue by essentially introducing a thermal step down feature

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

am deutschen wesen soll die welt genesen

on that note, national newspapers including the leftist one are now running op-eds about how considering that coal is still a thing maybe shutting off perfectly working reactors 30 years early might have been something of a hasty decision

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

suck my woke dick posted:

am deutschen wesen soll die welt genesen

on that note, national newspapers including the leftist one are now running op-eds about how considering that coal is still a thing maybe shutting off perfectly working reactors 30 years early might have been something of a hasty decision

great considering they're at a 33% renewables share at the moment (biomass is a scam it doesn't count)

would love to see some reversal on this. i don't see it happening but it would be cool to see (especially if they keep pointing out that it's hypocritical to pull this then buy nuke power from france)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

great considering they're at a 33% renewables share at the moment (biomass is a scam it doesn't count)

would love to see some reversal on this. i don't see it happening but it would be cool to see (especially if they keep pointing out that it's hypocritical to pull this then buy nuke power from france)

Its especially hypocritical because of their fear is of nuclear accidents and waste, then they are in for a bad time since a lot of EU countries are now seriously considering nuclear to help their climate and emissions goals.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Its especially hypocritical because of their fear is of nuclear accidents and waste, then they are in for a bad time since a lot of EU countries are now seriously considering nuclear to help their climate and emissions goals.

The new chancellor has basically acquiesced to including nucular in the EU green investments in exchange for also getting at least some gas in there. The usual suspects* are going apeshit, let's see if something crazy like the greens blowing up the coalition government happens or if it's just PR for internal consumption at this point.

* apart from NIMBYs and green groups, a division of the environment and nuclear safety ministry released a position paper saying the JRC must have been high when it wrote the assessment saying that nuclear should be considered green.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 14, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Anti-nuclear greens are more like browns, IMO.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I know people (experienced sailors) really into using kites as boat propulsion instead of conventional sails so this didn't surprise me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMTchVXedkk

This might be a great setup for mobile power generation as well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

silence_kit posted:

If the cost of solar and wind electricity keeps dropping, then electro-chemical generation of H2 or hydrocarbons, to store the very cheap intermittent solar and wind electricity as chemical energy, might make sense.
Yeah I'm sure whoever's making h2 will be thrilled to have to build completely throttlable infra.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The Riverkeeper Org was one of the orgs that lobbied for Indian Point to get shut down, arguing they could get hydro from Canada.

Now that Indian point is closed, they are now opposing the underground lines to get the Hydro power to New York

https://twitter.com/Ed_Crooks/status/1491426059195412483?s=20&t=Kys8yktSTuqcjL8oTQh_3g

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

The Riverkeeper Org was one of the orgs that lobbied for Indian Point to get shut down, arguing they could get hydro from Canada.

Now that Indian point is closed, they are now opposing the underground lines to get the Hydro power to New York

https://twitter.com/Ed_Crooks/status/1491426059195412483?s=20&t=Kys8yktSTuqcjL8oTQh_3g

As is usual, the NIMBYs have turned into BANANAs

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

quote:

Hydropower in general is not low carbon," the group wrote. "Dams transform natural landscapes into reservoirs. Many natural landscapes function as carbon sinks, and their inundation not only causes a loss of these natural sinks, but also results in a large and ongoing flux of greenhouse gas emissions.

Sell your possessions and go live in the loving forest you imbecile. It should be legal to forcibly disconnect people like this from the grid.

Also who wants to bet they have petrochem dollars in their donation box?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Sell your possessions and go live in the loving forest you imbecile. It should be legal to forcibly disconnect people like this from the grid.

Also who wants to bet they have petrochem dollars in their donation box?

I'd have to find the link but Riverkeeper and one of the other groups get a lot of Natural Gas donations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CommieGIR posted:

Environmentalism is so freaking weird. It's not even about the environment! It's about... something else?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I've really come to terms with the fact that a lot of these so-called environmental advocates are in fact petrochemical lobbyists working both sides. And I would definitely extend that to well-known groups like Greenpeace and the Sierra Club (both heavily funded by gas companies). Whether their support comes directly from corporate interests, or it merely comes from useful idiots in finance and academia, the reality is that they consistently work against the green movement and delay action on the climate crisis. It's absolutely evil and wrong to be laboring against green power in the midst of the climate crisis, and anyone who's a member of a fossil fuel greenwashing organization like that should be ashamed.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 10, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Environmentalism is so freaking weird. It's not even about the environment! It's about... something else?

Its about my land value number going up up up and making my pee pee feel good.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
There are several sides of the faux environmental issue when it comes to energy generation.

1. The green washing that occurs by industry actors
2. People that want deindustrialization and the death of hundreds of millions of people
3. NIMBYs

I wish we could ignore them, but together they seem to make up at least a plurality if not a majority.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/PaulABarter/status/1468414864716558341?s=20&t=Kys8yktSTuqcjL8oTQh_3g

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm still confused as to what they are objecting to for the hydropower. It's my understanding that they aren't going to be building new dams? It' s just using existing infrastructure. Any carbon cost for the project are already set in stone.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Monaghan posted:

I'm still confused as to what they are objecting to for the hydropower. It's my understanding that they aren't going to be building new dams? It' s just using existing infrastructure. Any carbon cost for the project are already set in stone.

Riverkeeper was founded by RFK Jr, a Trump-ally, covid denier, and conspiracy theorist. He spent his time at the NRDC shilling for gas companies and doing anti-vaccine propaganda. The organization is funded by a wide variety of New York financier nutjobs who have happily spent 30 years pissing away any possible liberal momentum. In addition to being opposed to nuclear power, he's also opposed to hydro and wind farms (onshore or offshore) and they're also opposed to any form of regional transmission lines. Every time a green energy project is proposed, they methodically kill it by providing tepid support and then withdrawing it in favor of another idea (which they ultimately won't support either). Basically under his watch Riverkeeper has spawned an array of East Coast NIMBY groups who support fossil fuels so long as they aren't currently pouring waste into their yacht club. As I'm sure you can already tell, groups like that really irritate me because they're so devastating to the morale of actual progressives. They soak up all the funding and energy they can and then dissipate it into some form of the status quo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Kennedy_Jr.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 10, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kaal posted:

Riverkeeper was founded by RFK Jr, a Trump-ally, covid denier, and conspiracy theorist. He spent his time at the NRDC shilling for gas companies and doing anti-vaccine propaganda. The organization is funded by a wide variety of New York financier nutjobs who have happily spent 30 years pissing away any possible liberal momentum. In addition to being opposed to nuclear power, he's also opposed to hydro and wind farms (onshore or offshore) and they're also opposed to any form of regional transmission lines. Every time a green energy project is proposed, they methodically kill it by providing tepid support and then withdrawing it in favor of another idea (which they ultimately won't support either). Basically under his watch Riverkeeper has spawned an array of East Coast NIMBY groups who support fossil fuels so long as they aren't currently pouring waste into their yacht club. As I'm sure you can already tell, groups like that really irritate me because they're so devastating to the morale of actual progressives. They soak up all the funding and energy they can and then dissipate it into some form of the status quo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Kennedy_Jr.

There’s always more, and it’s always worse.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Monaghan posted:

it has nothing to do with objection to hydropower, it has everything to do with forcing the construction of more fossil generation

efb gdi

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
"European nuclear fusion experiment announces 'record-breaking' results" - CNBC

quote:

Engineers and scientists from the EUROfusion consortium were able to produce 59 megajoules of heat energy from fusion across a period of five seconds on Dec. 21, 2021. It surpasses a previous record from 1997, when 22 megajoules of heat energy was generated.

“The record, and more importantly the things we’ve learned about fusion under these conditions and how it fully confirms our predictions, show that we are on the right path to a future world of fusion energy,” Tony Donne, program manager at EUROfusion, said on Wednesday.

“If we can maintain fusion for five seconds, we can do it for five minutes and then five hours as we scale up our operations in future machines,” Donne added.

ITER is currently under construction. When it is up and running, those behind the project say it will generate net energy.

This term, ITER says, refers to what happens when “the total power produced during a fusion plasma pulse surpasses the thermal power injected to heat the plasma.”

Not a lot of specifics but looks promising!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
France also announced 6 new plants and a lot of nuclear expansion. I don't think they'll be closing anymore plants.

https://twitter.com/simonwakter/status/1491830860970082311?s=20&t=kSeaCGuRCYCthh24xsjZbQ

I suspect because they think they are going to need to export a lot more to a certain neighbor. Also a good chunk of new renewables as well!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I love that France continues to be pro-nuclear, any time someone is like "but it's too hard" you just point at France constantly building new nuclear power plants and be like "you're saying we're not as competent as the french???"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

I love that France continues to be pro-nuclear, any time someone is like "but it's too hard" you just point at France constantly building new nuclear power plants and be like "you're saying we're not as competent as the french???"

If only the french had, had such mastery of nuclear fission before the battle of Waterloo, Europe may be a very different place right now. :(

With all the turbulence in the oil/gas/coal prices I'm actually surprised there hasn't been far more nuclear plant announcements. Good to see France seems to well has it's poo poo in order when it comes to power in the coming decades.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dr_rat posted:

If only the french had, had such mastery of nuclear fission before the battle of Waterloo, Europe may be a very different place right now. :(

With all the turbulence in the oil/gas/coal prices I'm actually surprised there hasn't been far more nuclear plant announcements. Good to see France seems to well has it's poo poo in order when it comes to power in the coming decades.

Very few euro states have the know-how, and no one generates as much nuke power as they do.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 11, 2022

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Very few euro states have the know-how, and no one generates as much nuke power as they do.

Yeah, France retained the industry related to building and maintaining nuclear power, the rest of the EU did not. If I recall correctly it is basically only France and China that can currently produce the nice big one-piece reactor vessels for civilian powerstations, the rest of the world having long since decommissioned their huge forges that was not useful for making anything else.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

What would be the cost and time to build new forges?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zudgemud posted:

Yeah, France retained the industry related to building and maintaining nuclear power, the rest of the EU did not. If I recall correctly it is basically only France and China that can currently produce the nice big one-piece reactor vessels for civilian powerstations, the rest of the world having long since decommissioned their huge forges that was not useful for making anything else.

Russia as well, they build and export VVER Reactors and have an entire assembly line.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

what does canada do for their homegrowns? i did a perfunctory search but results were poisoned with discussions of forging political ties

anyway i think this is going to be less of an issue going forward in some ways because i’m pretty bullish on smrs

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Senor Tron posted:

What would be the cost and time to build new forges?

If the money and willpower was there, a couple years. It’s not though, and probably never will be again in our lifetimes.

So, the issue with reactor forging a is twofold, A, you need a very strong forging press, on the order of 15000tons. This isn’t actually THAT strong of a press, as we still operate a 50000ton forging press in the US. The issue is size. The 50kton Mesta in Cleveland has a die table that’s 26x12’ with a 6’ stroke. That is the hard cap on how big a part can be forged with that press. The Mesta was designed for aerospace work, so it’s not a direct criticism, but a point of reference.

Some nuclear containment components (which you really want to be single-forgings to avoid a an ongoing lifetime inspection plan for any joins) can exceed sixteen and a half feet in diameter. Not only do you need a huge die table, you also need the front-end ability to melt, refine, cast, and handle single ingots of 500-600 tons. A melt shop big enough to do that has an annual capacity of over a million tons of steel, but the press making your nuke parts is only going to be using say ~100k tons of steel a year (most articles I’ve found say a press can generally average about four containment vessels per year.) That enormous overcapacity needs to be used elsewhere, but we shot our national steel industry in the forehead in the seventies and buried it in the eighties.

This is simply not something that the market is going to be able to fix. If the US wants to build reactors, its going to need to buy forgings from overseas, or it is going to need a government program to rebuild the required infrastructure. If we want to buy them, we should get in line now, since pretty much everyplace capable of making such parts is booked out for a very long time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

If the money and willpower was there, a couple years. It’s not though, and probably never will be again in our lifetimes.

So, the issue with reactor forging a is twofold, A, you need a very strong forging press, on the order of 15000tons. This isn’t actually THAT strong of a press, as we still operate a 50000ton forging press in the US. The issue is size. The 50kton Mesta in Cleveland has a die table that’s 26x12’ with a 6’ stroke. That is the hard cap on how big a part can be forged with that press. The Mesta was designed for aerospace work, so it’s not a direct criticism, but a point of reference.

Some nuclear containment components (which you really want to be single-forgings to avoid a an ongoing lifetime inspection plan for any joins) can exceed sixteen and a half feet in diameter. Not only do you need a huge die table, you also need the front-end ability to melt, refine, cast, and handle single ingots of 500-600 tons. A melt shop big enough to do that has an annual capacity of over a million tons of steel, but the press making your nuke parts is only going to be using say ~100k tons of steel a year (most articles I’ve found say a press can generally average about four containment vessels per year.) That enormous overcapacity needs to be used elsewhere, but we shot our national steel industry in the forehead in the seventies and buried it in the eighties.

This is simply not something that the market is going to be able to fix. If the US wants to build reactors, its going to need to buy forgings from overseas, or it is going to need a government program to rebuild the required infrastructure. If we want to buy them, we should get in line now, since pretty much everyplace capable of making such parts is booked out for a very long time.

This is why SMRs are appealing because we can do those cores with much smaller forges and presses.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
every since I watched a video about those giant heavy presses, I'm extremely disappointed that the US/DoD during the Cold War went "nah we're fine with our 50 000 ton'ers."

loving horse poo poo, we should redeem ourselves with not just 100K, but go even higher.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's interesting because I remember those presses being brought up before and how "Well China might have a way bigger one but that doesn't mean it's actually utilizing it for anything useful." and now maybe it might actually be useful for making nuclear reactors?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's interesting because I remember those presses being brought up before and how "Well China might have a way bigger one but that doesn't mean it's actually utilizing it for anything useful." and now maybe it might actually be useful for making nuclear reactors?

They are indeed, they have like 40 planned reactors with at least a few already nearing completion. A lot of their big forges/presses are booked.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

what does canada do for their homegrowns? i did a perfunctory search but results were poisoned with discussions of forging political ties

anyway i think this is going to be less of an issue going forward in some ways because i’m pretty bullish on smrs

From memory, CANDU reactors don't operate at the high pressures other reactors do. You can use a containment vessel that is bolted or welded together without issue. Downside is the reactors are less efficient, but my understanding is that was known and understood during the research design phase, and not considered a downside. CANDU reactors don't require the same level of technology base as a high pressure reactor, and don't need the same level of refinement for fuel either. It was hoped one of the selling points would be buying used fuel no longer powerful enough for other reactors to use in CANDU would be a good cost savings for less industrial nations who licensed and built them.

U.S. nuclear proliferation legislation and treaties killed all that, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
CANDUs share a lot in common with the RBMKs, but use Heavy Water instead of Graphite and can burn nearly natural uranium, also don't have the safety issues of the RBMK due to the use of a water moderator.

Also CANDU sits on its side versus the RBMK which is a barrel laying flat.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 12, 2022

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Why can't we (both the US and the rest of the EU) just work with the French and the Canadians? The French are already in an open market with the rest of the EU, and us Americans seem to have less of a knee jerk reaction to Canada compared to the rest of the world.

Also is space based solar for Earth based energy A Thing That Could Happen or is that just a bunch of infeasible bullshit? A system that gets 24/7 sunlight seems like it'd resolve the storage issues with renewables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Why can't we (both the US and the rest of the EU) just work with the French and the Canadians? The French are already in an open market with the rest of the EU, and us Americans seem to have less of a knee jerk reaction to Canada compared to the rest of the world.

We definitely can and should. There's regulatory reform needed in order to promote standardization, but putting together some international trade agreements together would be a good way to figure that out.

quote:

Also is space based solar for Earth based energy A Thing That Could Happen or is that just a bunch of infeasible bullshit? A system that gets 24/7 sunlight seems like it'd resolve the storage issues with renewables.

It's a thing that could happen, but while it's technically feasible it remains financially problematic. The cost to get things into orbit remains much higher than the value created by the satellites. While SpaceX has been successful in exponentially driving down costs, there would probably need to be another technological innovation in order to really make an orbital power transmitter.