Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

HootTheOwl posted:

Really? I thought you could always have chalice checked your opponent?

When the trigger is considered detrimental the penalty is upgraded to a warning:

The tournament rules for missed triggers changed a lot during those times, I couldn't keep it straight because it felt like every few months something different happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

Does that only cover your own bob triggers and not exactly your opponents tabernacle?

Good point, it's still a gpe but there's no penalty. However is you keep racking up the same gpe

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

HootTheOwl posted:

Good point, it's still a gpe but there's no penalty. However is you keep racking up the same gpe

Right, and that is a very large difference. The days of not long past, if you attempted to settle the wreckage them while they have a leyline of sanctity, you were getting a warning. These days, you get told "you can't do that". Cheating through sloppy play is now easier than ever.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

kalel posted:

I'm saying add the vintage card pool but don't actually make a vintage queue. vintage is for serial killers

Any format with Force of Will is for hosed up psychopaths, by default.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Even experienced players aren't aware of the missed triggers thing. I miss my tabernacle triggers on cockatrice because I can't leave a die on my deck then have to go back for them

Had an awkward argument with a guy on that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
drat, didn't know they made statues like this for mtg characters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blh4BS_mHHU&hd=1

big lol at the price though, $1500, I thought it'd be like half that or 2/3 that at most

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The handpainting is driving that price more than anything I bet. And it's beautifully painted.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Paul Zuvella posted:

That’s literally what judges are there for.

Yes, I didn't object to the judge call itself, I just could have maybe used some warning before having someone shout directly in front of me when it's late, I'm tired, and the unexpected "you did something wrong" yell spikes casual anxiety. It is what it is, I was just contributing my own instance to the previous mentions and discussion of judge calls. Perhaps maybe there should be some etiquette beyond abruptly shouting while only a couple feet in front of someone?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Sickening posted:

Right, and that is a very large difference. The days of not long past, if you attempted to settle the wreckage them while they have a leyline of sanctity, you were getting a warning. These days, you get told "you can't do that". Cheating through sloppy play is now easier than ever.

What? Committing a GPE definitely still carries a warning (in an event where the IPG is in force, which are few and far between, at the moment), and casting a spell with illegal targets is definitely a GPE.

Missed Triggers currently carry no penalty, but 1) there is a warning if it's considered "Generally Detrimental" - there are basic rules of thumb here like "if the card wouldn't be played if it didn't have the trigger, it's beneficial"; there's also a few judges who put together a list with each new set of the ones that are generally detrimental. There's also the remedy of "if it's been less than a turn since it was missed, you can resolve it now" piece, so if your opponent misses a trigger and you want it to happen, you can just make it happen.

Triggers are a really lovely area to try to craft policy around; you can't just write rules that say "these things are mandatory" without ruining something else. If you require all players to manage all the triggers, then you're basically requiring you to play both your and your opponent's deck. If you go too far the other way and just ignore them if they get missed, then players just miss them intentionally. A trigger can only get missed now if 1) both players missed it or 2) one player missed it, and the players not responsible for it didn't bother to say anything.

I won't argue too hard against "cheating through sloppy play is now easier than ever" because in one sense, that's very true. The penalties for just about all infractions have been reduced. As someone who's only ever floor judged (I've head judged very small events, but at that scale, it's the same) so I don't know how things are really tracked in terms of patterns. It's common practice to ask a player if they've received any penalties earlier in the day, but that's hardly a solution. (And if a player cops to it and gets a warning upgraded to a game loss or something; I don't know if anyone actually bothers to check the database or whatever to see if that's happening to the same players over and over.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The handpainting is driving that price more than anything I bet. And it's beautifully painted.
yeah the painting is nice, I just can't not see opaque fire effects like that as anything but flamin' hot cheetos

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah the painting is nice, I just can't not see opaque fire effects like that as anything but flamin' hot cheetos

based on that video thumbnail, it looks like the hair-fire coloration is reversed, which is hilarious, and is part of why it's cheeto-lookin.
(real fire is yellow on the interior hottest parts and oranger/redder on the exterior cooler parts)

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Judges aren’t real anymore so tournament rules don’t exist. Just cheat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If I have an Cloudsteel Kirin that is reconfigered onto something and i'm at -5 life, I can't reconfigure it onto something else or I die immediately, correct?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

based on that video thumbnail, it looks like the hair-fire coloration is reversed, which is hilarious, and is part of why it's cheeto-lookin.
(real fire is yellow on the interior hottest parts and oranger/redder on the exterior cooler parts)

They do it that way for Chandra because that’s how red hair works. It’s paler/yellow as the hair gets thinner.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

If I have an Cloudsteel Kirin that is reconfigered onto something and i'm at -5 life, I can't reconfigure it onto something else or I die immediately, correct?
Nope, set release notes say reconfigure to another creature is fine:

If you have 0 or less life while Cloudsteel Kirin is equipped to a creature, activating reconfigure to attach Cloudsteel Kirin to another creature you control doesn't cause you to lose the game. You would lose the game if Cloudsteel Kirin becomes unattached or becomes attached to a creature you don't control.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

State based effects (like losing or winning) aren’t checked until resolution is complete so you can reconfigure it.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 11, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LeafHouse posted:

State based effects (like losing or winning) aren’t checked until resolution is complete so you can blink or reconfigure it.

Glad I asked lol.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

LeafHouse posted:

State based effects (like losing or winning) aren’t checked until resolution is complete so you can blink or reconfigure it.

Blink would kill you, unless you have an ability that says it ETBs already equipped as it blinks back in

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
im reminded of the time someone tried to eldrazi displacer a master of waves to kill all the elemental tokens

it did NOT work out well for him

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

You can. Since there's never a time during this process where the kirin isn't attached there's never a time where you're able to lose

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Devor posted:

Blink would kill you, unless you have an ability that says it ETBs already equipped as it blinks back in

Oh yeah my bad I should probably read the card before answering questions about it.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Neth posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/statement-saiba-trespassers-cards-2022-02-09

RIP this isn't going to be confusing at prerelease at all. What is quality control, and who even needs it?
Between the six thousand releases a year, stupid sets/mechanics, NFTs, and decreasing quality of everything across the board, they've really decided to deposit this game right into the dumpster. It's amazing to watch and also really disappointing because I used to love Magic, but they're making it very hard these days.

I couldn't pinpoint exactly when the shift happened, but probably somewhere in the last five years or so.

Captain Invictus posted:

drat, didn't know they made statues like this for mtg characters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blh4BS_mHHU&hd=1

big lol at the price though, $1500, I thought it'd be like half that or 2/3 that at most
drat, that thing is huge! I was not expecting something that size when I clicked the link.

ed: vvvvv That's welcome to hear at least. I'm still wary because the temptation has got to still be there for the upper leadership.

Zero_Grade fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 11, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
hasbro did say that nfts for mtg weren't off the table, but that was back in april 2021; they haven't actually done nfts nor has hasbro even mentioned mtg nfts again from looking on google so hopefully they saw the massive pushback in recent months and got cold feet

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Reid Duke is playing 3x Behold in his draft deck and is like, i would play 2-3 more lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Reid Duke is playing 3x Behold in his draft deck and is like, i would play 2-3 more lol

yup

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

flatluigi posted:

hasbro did say that nfts for mtg weren't off the table, but that was back in april 2021; they haven't actually done nfts nor has hasbro even mentioned mtg nfts again from looking on google so hopefully they saw the massive pushback in recent months and got cold feet

lolling at the idea of a guy pitching nfts to wotc, his big selling point being that you can create these still images and sell them to rubes for a nearly infinite profit margin.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

little munchkin posted:

lolling at the idea of a guy pitching nfts to wotc, his big selling point being that you can create these still images and sell them to rubes for a nearly infinite profit margin.

Conceptually, NFTs are the perfect idea to implement something like a digital TCG. A set of cards are "printed" and you either get a "booster" of tokens or some singles (either direct from WoTC or another player) and your cards, while functionally identical to others of the same card, are "physically" different cards, like in paper.

MTGO does this just using a database, though, which is the "correct" way to do it, because there's no point in the ledger being decentralized and trustless.

In other words, the best possible use for something like an NFT, a little bit of code that's the same as someone else's little bit of code, but still unique, is still stupid, but everyone here already knew that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The joke is collectible card games are already proto-NFTs. The only difference is that the mods ban discussion about right click -> save as -> print

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CellBlock posted:

Conceptually, NFTs are the perfect idea to implement something like a digital TCG.

Actually it's the opposite because the trading cards function as game pieces and therefore need to be incredibly fungable. A plains being interchangable with any other plains is integral to the game

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also somehow all the paper and ink and plastic packaging and shipping still works out to them being less environmentally disastrous than NFTs.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

HootTheOwl posted:

Actually it's the opposite because the trading cards function as game pieces and therefore need to be incredibly fungable. A plains being interchangable with any other plains is integral to the game

Every NFT is fungible, you just need to change the image a URL points to.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

CellBlock posted:

Conceptually, NFTs are the perfect idea to implement something like a digital TCG. A set of cards are "printed" and you either get a "booster" of tokens or some singles (either direct from WoTC or another player) and your cards, while functionally identical to others of the same card, are "physically" different cards, like in paper.

MTGO does this just using a database, though, which is the "correct" way to do it, because there's no point in the ledger being decentralized and trustless.

In other words, the best possible use for something like an NFT, a little bit of code that's the same as someone else's little bit of code, but still unique, is still stupid, but everyone here already knew that.

<Runs breathlessly into thread>

My dood have you heard of the Emergents TCG?!?

It's got hall of famers BDM, PVDDR, and Zvi Mowshovits behind it!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They seem to be making money milking the big fish who spend alot on random nonsense so that is probably who will by the NFTs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was listening to the Limited Resources podcast to get ready for this weekend and lol that they're sponsored by an NFT site... I am assuming even if WOTC isn't doing it themselves that there's probably a lot of crypto bros in the "magic community"? I remember MTGOX

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

lmao

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

there's probably a lot of crypto bros in the "magic community"

Yes.

But also.

There's a lot of grifters in the "Magic Content Creator" arena, and they will shill basically anything to get that paper.

See also: FAB/MetaZoo/etc.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
As fab would say "i love raid shadow legends".

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
New version of Zendikar Expeditions, an nft version of a card in the set hidden in one out of every 100 cases. Each and only has one in the entire run.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Every NFT is fungible, you just need to change the image a URL points to.

Yes; but that's not what makes them fungable.
Because an NFT of an image is not an image.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

s that there's probably a lot of crypto bros in the "magic community"?

There's a local grinder here in a BAYC hoodie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i would love to see the reaction if they had to ban a card in this environment