Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Peter Parker buying a hot dog from Peter Parker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Darthemed posted:

Spidey Super Stories #37 (1978)

What sort of monster eats a hot dog like that?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Electric_Mud posted:

What sort of monster eats a hot dog like that?

Maybe it's a corn dog?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
it's got pickle on it though, that's Chicago Style

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

A Strange Aeon posted:

To be fair, the first two thirds of that movie are really entertaining! Much more than any of his comics.

I saw half an hour of it many, many years ago, and I'd love to watch the whole thing - just too lazy or forgetful to hunt it down.

I read The Metabarons recently after having read the first chapter (Orthon von Salza) years ago in Heavy Metal.

Its like the insanity of a Korean drama filtered through '70's sci-fi and psychedelica, with some heavy-handed sexual allegory (the very phallic Meta-ship, that can be controlled via groin attachment).

Like Shigurui, I have trouble judging the irony levels and I'm ultimately not sure if I liked it or not.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Elissimpark posted:

I saw half an hour of it many, many years ago, and I'd love to watch the whole thing - just too lazy or forgetful to hunt it down.

I read The Metabarons recently after having read the first chapter (Orthon von Salza) years ago in Heavy Metal.

Its like the insanity of a Korean drama filtered through '70's sci-fi and psychedelica, with some heavy-handed sexual allegory (the very phallic Meta-ship, that can be controlled via groin attachment).

Like Shigurui, I have trouble judging the irony levels and I'm ultimately not sure if I liked it or not.

Yeah, very much same boat for his comics. I've read a bit more and it's all sort of like that. Something about the tone makes it hard for me to think he was being ironic, but maybe he was. It's so much larger than life and weird, I should probably give it another try now that I'm talking about it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Quasar #23 (1991)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Darthemed posted:

Quasar #23 (1991)

So was Quasar generally just bat-poo poo insane nonsense all the time? I'm not familiar with the character let a lone the book.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I would also like some more information on "what the gently caress was going on with Quasar".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
drugs

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cosmic Marvel stuff is just Like That.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Bronze age Marvel was a bunch of hippies.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Darthemed posted:

Quasar #23 (1991)

I highly recommend reading that arc, its very much WTF.

The two main points:

All the Watchers, the Celestials and a bunch of the Abstract entities rock up to watch the end of the universe like its loving fireworks

and, most importantly:

the Uatu the Watcher gets nookie.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Gruenwald's Quasar was terrific stuff, and if you haven't read it, you should rectify that as soon as possible.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Cloks posted:

I would also like some more information on "what the gently caress was going on with Quasar".

I think it might've been E&C on here who described (somebody else discussing it as--?) '70s Marvel as a bunch of writers in their 20s dropping a lot of acid in Greenwich Village, and the work reflects that a lot of the time. Most of the seeds for what we now call "Cosmic Marvel" were laid by guys like Jim Starlin and Steve Englehart during that period.

Fast-forward to the late '80s. Mark Gruenwald was a huge continuity maven in his writing work and was well-known for doing deep dives into corners of the Marvel Universe that were obscure even back in the early '90s. His Captain America run is a crazy guided tour through Marvel trivia, like the short arc with an enemy team that consists of maybe 60 female villains.

When Greg Capullo came aboard on Quasar, Gruenwald got equivalently out there. There's a trip to the New Universe, appearances by Her and Moondragon, a short arc where Quasar played tourist in a bunch of recent What If AUs, time out for some surprisingly deep discussion of atheist philosophy, etc.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #24 (1943)

The Sensational She-Hulk #33 (1991)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Didn't She-Hulk have a 'nude' issue where she was covering her breasts by jumping rope so fast or something?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

A Strange Aeon posted:

Didn't She-Hulk have a 'nude' issue where she was covering her breasts by jumping rope so fast or something?

Wouldn't having the rope go so fast mean that you would be able to see everything?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They only draw the panels where the rope is hiding the bits, obviously.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, imagine I posted a long unfunny Scott McCloud essay on how panel divisions are used by comic authors to convey the arbitrary passage of time and that as a unique form of Art comic creators can show specific moments in a panel.

But here's the cover!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think byrne she-hulk has to be in the top 3 "creator is incredibly horny for their character and not even attempting to hide it" books

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Thanks for the Quasar info! Looks like a fun read, I've already read a bunch of the classic Starlin stuff so I might just jump into Quasar from the beginning.

I also own every New Universe comic because I got them as a lot on eBay so I might torture myself with that first.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Emotionless aliens come to Earth planning to invade, but the obvious happens:

Weird Fantasy #20

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

It started as an unfunny letter column joke and then they had the "nude" jump rope scene run for four pages of pin-ups or so before She-Hulk is interrupted and it's revealed that she was actually wearing a bikini.

I like Byrne's She-Hulk a lot, but that issue was a real sign of it going downhill. Besides the obvious, it was also the point where his corner cutting was really hitting the book.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
She-Hulk also has quite possibly the worst name for a letters column in comics history.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Is it She-Mail?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Kwyndig posted:

Is it She-Mail?

She-Box, is my awful guess.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

Is it She-Mail?
Nailed it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

YIKES

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Adventures into the Unknown #72 (1956)

Superboy #91 (1961)

Superboy #91 (1961)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wait isn't a forward pass legal now?

Edit apparently I don't know my football. A lateral is different than a forward pass.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 12, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the word lateral should have been your first clue

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Laterally forward

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Assuming I still remember my football details... you can toss the ball between players sideways and back as much as you want, but only one forward pass per down (and I think that has to be before the line of scrimmage). I don't know if there's a reason more than "makes for better football".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Assuming I still remember my football details... you can toss the ball between players sideways and back as much as you want, but only one forward pass per down (and I think that has to be before the line of scrimmage). I don't know if there's a reason more than "makes for better football".

That and it would be grossly unfair. You could just relay it downfield and theoretically cross the entire field in a couple seconds.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Proteus Jones posted:

That and it would be grossly unfair. You could just relay it downfield and theoretically cross the entire field in a couple seconds.

You're right, the defense would need to keep their attention on the whole field all the time instead of a pass or line of scrimmage being a signal that they can focus on the ball. Makes for a very different style of play.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
From Iron Man #164, the first appearance and origin of the Proud Boys?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #17 (1940)

Mr. Monster Presents Crack-A-Boom! #3 (1997)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Blue Beetle #24 (1943)

Quasar #24 (1991)