Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Wafflecopper posted:

you can in fact talk about video game numbers and also not get mad

Firebatgyro posted:

Lmao just lmao at trying to compare loving Sardinia-Piedmont's economy in 1821 to 1550 Austria is the big proof of how amazing your dev strategy is.

why do i get annoyed, its a mystery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

i wasn't referring to just you

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

i wasn't referring to just you

no youre good, i was just demonstrating the bad faith bullshit that goes on ITT

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

it could have been clearer, but S-P has 40 techs and 3⅓ full idea groups so the year is around 1580

Yeah my fault i mixed up his screenshots.

Its still S-P where the mission tree is literally just to Dev. Italy (and the Netherlands) are special cases where you are extremely constrained by AE early game, you get all the institutions for free, and 90% of your provinces are farmland so yeah you pretty much have no choice but to dev.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mr. Grinch posted:

ive never played anbennar but if i were to try singleplayer again itd probably have to be that mod

Anbennar is the best and Paradox should give it some achievements.

It puts a lot of effort into amping up the replay value by giving lots of nations weird mechanics or complications, like the kobold money pits, the risk/reward of dwarven holds, !!! dragons !!!, different racial army compositions, lots of nutty fantasy map areas with weird choke points, etc.

Fuligin posted:

u, the experienced but jaded eu player online: carefully allocating ur mana, chaining treaties to avoid AE, skillful exploitation of estate privileges, tag and religion switching

me: waste 500 mil rerolling for generals, get reamed by hungary when i forget to pause before going for a smoke break

:yeah:

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

So let's see, looking at simple terrain, to really test out this theory that dev to 20 is ideal before expansion, I'm gonna need someone to use this strategy in the middle east that's nothing but desert and mountains with the worst dev cost penalties and give me a comparison. So, Timurids 1580 with as much dev as you can force into that miserable pile of provinces. Thanks.

Maybe a balance where you spend some monarch points developing provinces and some monarch points expanding is actually the best strategy if you're looking for efficiency/effectiveness? Bonus points if you only dev market/harbor provinces to really beef up your trade income while ignoring every other province as trash worthy of throwing to a vassal so you don't have to manage it.

Of course, that means the map isn't painted a single color from Lisbon to Beijing, so it's basically completely un-salvageable as a strategy.

Half-wit fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 7, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
*scrolls through 100 posts* SO we done getting insanely aggro at what imagined posting enemies have told me is the best and worst strats

*scrolls up a few poste* oh gently caress, nope

RIP the many n00bs who did or didn’t dev in SP or MP

Good job to everyone who dumped excess points into devving then gave up and hopped the goblin train

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 7, 2022

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

It's just as I thought, everyone. Random provinces in the US midwest are metropolitan powerhouses development-wise because they are in farm-land while New York, because it is woods is a pitiful 5 development. Who would ever want to live there, anyways?

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

so anyway have any of you opted into the beta? im dying to know how cancerous it is to have to deal with reinforcing artillery as well as infantry now

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I love playing Roadwarrior.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ibblebibble posted:

I love playing Roadwarrior.

They're so broken and yet so fun.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Mr. Grinch posted:

so anyway have any of you opted into the beta? im dying to know how cancerous it is to have to deal with reinforcing artillery as well as infantry now

The cancerous thing isn't the artillery change, its the fact that they overtuned the AI building and upgrading forts so every war takes 100 years

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

ugh i guess its time for another eu4 hiatus

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Roadie posted:

Anbennar is the best and Paradox should give it some achievements.

At the very least this year's April Fools dev diary should be nothing but puns for Anbennar cheevos.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think I've played enough Roadwarrior to call this campaign. Burning down random bits of the Empire, Escann and Bulwar is fun, but trying to get all my armies back to home base when noone will give me military access is kind of a pain.

Of course, maybe I should just break truces and declare war on everyone in the way...

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
How painful is a world conquest run?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Demon_Corsair posted:

How painful is a world conquest run?

Fairly painful but worse, very very boring.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the worst part is colonial powers being incredibly stubborn when it comes to ceding provinces becuase castilian alaska and 100 micronesian islands haven't been sieged down 100%. but truce breaking can make short work of that

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
If you do it, only do it through revoking the HRE and vassal feeling. Doing it manually is not worth it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wow Gawed mission tree is basically just this huh

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

skasion posted:

Wow Gawed mission tree is basically just this huh

That's a lot of the anbennar mission trees. Including a good number of the elves' mission trees.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yeah a lot of Anbennar history is just: Elves got driven out of their homeland by an insane wizard. They sail out into the ocean, get lost, eventually find land owned by humans and gnolls. Elves use their strong magical potential to subjugate/conquer humans/gnolls. In the EoA elves crossbreed with humans to form a half-elf magical upper caste while in Bulwar they conquer the gnolls, free the human slaves, then make themselves god-lords in an apartheid state.

Pretty easy to see why a bunch of humans really don't like elves and even some elves are like 'hey yeah this poo poo is hosed up'

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 11, 2022

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ibblebibble posted:

Of course, maybe I should just break truces and declare war on everyone in the way...

Bingo! Truces don't mean poo poo to Roadwarriors

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This popped up on Steam today: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1858700/Grey_Eminence/?curator_clanid=4777282&utm_source=SteamDB

Apparently made in part by some ex-EU modders, I think at least 1 on the M&T team. Seems like the kind of thing that’s 100/1 on even coming out, let alone being good, but is worth a follow.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That is a hell of a timeline that game has there. 600 years, sheesh.

Also kind of wincing at that globe. Specifically, how empty North America looks.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Firebatgyro posted:

The cancerous thing isn't the artillery change, its the fact that they overtuned the AI building and upgrading forts so every war takes 100 years

sorry, what's the part that's overtuned?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Well that was loving weird: As a non-Christian breakaway post-colonial nation, I just straight-up inherited the mother country. Despite not being Christian or having any kind of diplomatic relationship with the mother country. I guess we still did share the same dynasty though.

I think I maybe figured out why, though, because I think Christian nations can fall under PU or be inherited by non-Christians if they are married (possible in some cases, if one tag converts while a marriage exists, this does not break the marriage) or share a dynasty (which can last longer than that).

Full story: I'm trying the Mayan Horde approach to the Three Mountains, and have learned that you can get that achievement while forming another nation if you do a true one-tag. And there are these two post-colonial formables in Oceania which can be formed even if you are a horde, and in particular Zealandia has very nice ideas. Especially the one which makes religion not matter at all anymore, no unrest and full productivity from all heretic and heathen provinces. (And the rest of the list has both good economic and military bonuses.) So I conquered the Philippines, explored to the New World, did the Mayan thing, became a horde, relocated my capital down under, conquered all of Australia and NZ, then as soon as I hit admin tech 10 I formed Zealandia. Which basically just cost me the Philippines and Okinawa, where Ryukyu has survived for the few decades since then while I've been busy eating Mexico and the Incans.

Now I've noticed that as a Mayan you occasionally get an event where you can convert to Catholic. So I guess that the Ryukyu AI got that, said "sure OK mr. Fransiscan friar man", and then their ruler died without an heir. Still pretty convoluted though, not that I'm complaining, I got a free Philippines out of it.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Groke posted:

I think I maybe figured out why, though, because I think Christian nations can fall under PU or be inherited by non-Christians if they are married (possible in some cases, if one tag converts while a marriage exists, this does not break the marriage) or share a dynasty (which can last longer than that).

this is true. it's a weird edge case, but technically only the junior partner in a PU has to be Christian. Iirc the most common time I've seen it is a fetishist nation marrying kongo, kongo going Christian and then dying out, and even then I think i've seen it happen like once.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

How does one effectively wield a vassal swarm? On paper I have 2x the troops but my allies refuse to stack their armies and has a ton of 1-5k armies running around. while my enemy has all their allies stacked up in numbers I can't take by myself.

I have hit the checkbox on my army to allow attach, but no one actually attaches.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

On the vassal interaction screen you can set like…strategic preferences for your vassals (forget what they’re called). Anyway one of them is basically “stick close to my armies” so try that one.

When people talk about vassal swarms they usually mean like, privilege-revoked HRE or shogun daimyos, where you can have like 10-50 vassals at a time and the weakness and stupidity of their individual armies don’t matter because there’s so many of them.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Outside of those edge cases, the real use of vassals is allowing them to do all the boring seige micro after you've sufficiently smashed the opposing armies.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If it's the HRE vassal swarm, you don't need to be effective. DoW a late-game Ottomans, and they'll just drown it in bodies and full siege the place sooner or later. Efficient, no, but hey, it ain't your manpower.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Half the time they don't seem to do anything. This last war with Venice I didn't see a single ally or junior partner stack do anything. Do they just not send troops like I do when I ever get dragged into a war?

Trying to get rolling with an Austria swarm and Venice just loving wrecks me every time despite 3:1 numbers fory side.

Also holy poo poo they odds are not good for Hungary ending up in a pu under Austria.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Demon_Corsair posted:

Half the time they don't seem to do anything. This last war with Venice I didn't see a single ally or junior partner stack do anything. Do they just not send troops like I do when I ever get dragged into a war?

Trying to get rolling with an Austria swarm and Venice just loving wrecks me every time despite 3:1 numbers fory side.

Also holy poo poo they odds are not good for Hungary ending up in a pu under Austria.

If they are disloyal (50%+ liberty desire) they will just sit at home and do nothing, otherwise they should help as long as they have military access. Venice is annoying because unless they get declared on by the Ottomans at the same time you aren't going to be able to siege down their capital, their troops sucks though so you should be able to beat them pretty easily as Austria even without any allies helping. Just make sure you take good fights and get a morale advisor and you should be getting plenty of stack wipes.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Any theories as to when the beta patch is going live?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

trapped mouse posted:

Any theories as to when the beta patch is going live?

Probably not for a little bit they posted today they are going to rebalance the fort spamming and a few other things they hosed up

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Is it possible to give input on the peace deal as someone who's been called into a war, without making a separate peace? I have the opportunity to eat Crimea off the Ottomans as a side effect of taking a Defender of the Faith call from Georgia, but I'd also like to leave them alive as an excuse to break truce when they get attacked.

Is my best option just to let them sink, then free them in the next war?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Mandoric posted:

Is it possible to give input on the peace deal as someone who's been called into a war, without making a separate peace? I have the opportunity to eat Crimea off the Ottomans as a side effect of taking a Defender of the Faith call from Georgia, but I'd also like to leave them alive as an excuse to break truce when they get attacked.

Is my best option just to let them sink, then free them in the next war?

Short answer no, long answer mostly only indirectly. by controlling the siege of a province you guarantee that either you get it in the peace deal, or it doesn't directly get taken (the country who owns it can be vassalized but that's unlikely). Basically an ally can't demand a province you control, which is important if you don't want an ally taking a certain province. Assuming you have the cossacks DLC you can also set provinces as "vital interest" with the diplomatic feedback section, which makes allies more likely to give you control of provinces you claim/want but it's not guaranteed. Also if an ally also has the same provinces as vital interest they might just give up on the alliance though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

This doesn’t ready solve your problem but you can pretty consistently manipulate allied peace offerings by using the tool to say you are interested in certain enemy provinces. The AI is very open to just giving you those provinces even if its a negative for them. Just now I used it to get 4 provinces from Bohemia around 1480 in a restoration of union war for my ally Austria, which weakened him and helped me a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Wrote them off and kinda forgot about it while preoccupying myself expanding eastward (and discovering the Siberian frontier mechanic that could have had me colonizing 50 years early and 1k mana cheaper), had what seemed like great success because I didn't notice I went over GC and stopped being able to fully core, aided by the Russian capacity to just throw men at yearly rebellions.

Currently in the process of a 50-75 year hellwar series in which i kill my entire manpower, devote my entire economy, and lose most of the Caucasus solely to force alliance break on giga Gazikumukh, then try to eat it up so I can have an evenish 1v1 with the Ottomans. I did not heed the load screen warning that they were the most powerful faction, and thought surely Austria would do something and besides if my eastern year-round port was the Beijing-Port Arthur strip rather than Vladivostok I was probably doing fine. :saddowns: