Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

As touched on earlier, the US didn't leave over lack of representation, it left over paying anything ever. The British had just fought a very expensive war on behalf of American colonists (The French and Indian War started over land claims in the Ohio Valley and then expanded into the Seven Year's War - the first European World War) and wanted to levy a few mostly reasonable taxes to pay for it.

I know a lot of people think that America is the center of world history, but IIRC the European theater of the Seven Year's war was mostly because Prussia decided to start swinging its dick around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the portuguese eventually realized brazil was way neater than their peripheral shithole so the upper class just packed up and moved across the atlantic. the uk was too stupid and proud and inbred, rip

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think leftists are a little too revisionist about reframing the American Revolution as a scheme by landlords & merchants to get out of paying taxes. There was a genuine mass movement of Republican ideology spreading through the colonies, which was the basis for the revolutionaries to even be capable of fronting up a standing army or drawing in foreign ideological fellow travelers to even maintain it. The American Revolution was a genuine liberal revolution of colonial liberation, and that's how people in the rest of the Americas would also interpret it. Thomas Paine is as much of an American "Founding Father" as the reactionary plutocrats who would later design the constitution.

What gets underexamined is that those same landlords & merchants immediately put into motion their own counterrevolution to undo all of the democratic gains that had been realized. We constantly frame October 1917 as a "failed revolution" even thought the Soviet Union lasted for over 60 years. The American Revolution was a failed revolution from out the gate.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

i say swears online posted:

the portuguese eventually realized brazil was way neater than their peripheral shithole so the upper class just packed up and moved across the atlantic. the uk was too stupid and proud and inbred, rip

The UK was significantly more industrialized than lets say portugal and the jool in the UK's crown wasn't a settler colony.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The UK still would've been its own entity under the direct authority of the Crown, which means the English would have dragged along Wales, Scotland, & Ireland with them - just as they've done in real life. What would be really interesting is if the other union kingdoms would be willing to revolt over it - but that's getting too far into the weeds of speculative history.
It is always implied in my posts that the English will drag their unfortunate neighbors down with them.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

The UK was significantly more industrialized than lets say portugal and the jool in the UK's crown wasn't a settler colony.

By comparison, Brazil was an untamed wilderness of possibility waiting to be explored & exploited. Meanwhile, Portugal was fated for decline as a third rate power even in spite of still having far flung colonies. The rest of Europe had totally lapped them, so escape to Brazil was the only option for an imperial future.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq6T91hyI6E

who knew a tiger tank can't survive time traveling granite cannonballs

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

sullat posted:

I know a lot of people think that America is the center of world history, but IIRC the European theater of the Seven Year's war was mostly because Prussia decided to start swinging its dick around.

Yeah, I'm sure England and France fighting yet again probably would have stayed small and contained and fizzled out on its own otherwise.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq6T91hyI6E

who knew a tiger tank can't survive time traveling granite cannonballs

Those youtube ballistics simulation guys get pretty weird. They’re also obsessed with Tigers and paper projects, naturally.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Seven Years War being triggered in the Ohio Valley doesn't make America the center of world history. It was an excuse for Europeans to fight colonial wars they wanted to do anyway.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/RealPepeEscobar/status/1492050290761154582

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jesus Christ.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Didn’t George Washington personally start it by attacking French fort and losing badly?

The American showing in the Seven Years War, especially in the Ohio is pretty funny considering all the national myth-making about being natural backwoodsmen.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao oh my god

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
is the launch code "icecream"?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Danny LaFever posted:

I think within some circles in Britain, the American Revolution wasn't viewed as a bad thing. Around that time, I think that the island of Jamaica was worth more revenue to the crown then all the American colonies, and the taxes they imposed were so minor they were surprised at the resistance, and not necessarily keen to put even more money and effort to placating it. I can't recall his name but some Brit controlled the Columbian exchange at this point, and actually preferred Americans win, so he and his buddies could make even more money. He might have been the world's richest man at that point, and I mostly made this post to see if my memory was even close and who this guy might be.

the american revolution wasn't about taxes. mostly it was about the colonists thirsting after more native land and the crown making treaties that prevented this

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Rutibex posted:

the american revolution wasn't about taxes. mostly it was about the colonists thirsting after more native land and the crown making treaties that prevented this

it was p much a east/west split. western colonists wanted the revolution to steal land but easterners were legit mad over the taxes and what not

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Those youtube ballistics simulation guys get pretty weird. They’re also obsessed with Tigers and paper projects, naturally.

They apparently take requests from their comments so it's probably more of an audience thing.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

lamo

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I read all about this last year and while I'm on my phone I can tell you that containerization only really took off in the 1980s

I wanted to come back to this. you can visually see this with vessels.

this is the SS Kauai

this is the CSCL Globe

a lot of the West Coast terminals are built / sized for the Kauai. which is the larger underlying issue of the supply chain crisis.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Bar Ran Dun posted:

a lot of the West Coast terminals are built / sized for the Kauai. which is the larger underlying issue of the supply chain crisis.

soooooo its case #1236119 of "our infra is poo poo because we didn't invest in it lol"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Palladium posted:

soooooo its case #1236119 of "our infra is poo poo because we didn't invest in it lol"

I'm real envious of China's AI ports:

https://twitter.com/chinadaily/status/1430862599982239744

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Palladium posted:

we did in some places, GPA in garden city is a good example. but they lucked into a state port authority because of World War II. the state runs the terminal yard and gates, then leases to stevedores for vessel services. pool chassis. far inland rail (Macon) in gating to the marine terminal in sav.

we could do this in other states. we should do it nationally. this is a solvable problem. we have just decided that it isn’t.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

good US Ports do about 35-40 when kicking rear end.

older ones 15-25 FYI.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Danann posted:

I'm real envious of China's AI ports:

I'm shocked progress happens when you actually do things instead of just opening your big mouths

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

not often that I audibly say ‘holy poo poo’ while watching something

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

uhhhh haven't you heard from NYT saying the chinese cant innovate anything

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

some of the European and Middle East Ports went automated like this quite a while ago.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The US hasn't felt like modernizing or upgrading infrastructure since the 50s and the last major national infrastructure initiative was Eisenhower ordering the creation of the interstate system. Everything since then has been calling it a day and refusing to do maintenance or upgrades until things like bridges start falling into the water, and even then not really

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HonorableTB posted:

The US hasn't felt like modernizing or upgrading infrastructure since the 50s and the last major national infrastructure initiative was Eisenhower ordering the creation of the interstate system. Everything since then has been calling it a day and refusing to do maintenance or upgrades until things like bridges start falling into the water, and even then not really

there are more pressing issues now like adding amphibious capabilities to F-35s

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I wanted to come back to this. you can visually see this with vessels.

this is the SS Kauai

this is the CSCL Globe

but the Matson ships are kind of a different use case than the mega container ships. they charge way higher prices for faster shipping times and dedicated docks.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

GlassEye-Boy posted:

but the Matson ships are kind of a different use case than the mega container ships. they charge way higher prices for faster shipping times and dedicated docks.

that’s now. but they were a good example of the Jones act intra-US environment the containership developed in and that our infrastructure reflects. I don’t think anybody else really anywhere in the world is running a full wheeled operation like Matson is. it’s like a time capsule we can look 40 years back on.

the Kauai is a trip too hatchless and the cell guides go all the way up on deck. you can look all the way down from the top of the stacks to the tank tops. i used to climb up there every other week. it makes the stowage of haz a real bitch. they were still figuring out what a optimal containership was at that point when it was built.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
the US won't lose WW3, because everyone who could start WW3 has nukes now, and the stakes are so high that even the apocalyptic psychos in the CIA dont it. so it won't happen at any point in the forseeable future.

however, this will never stop the US from building a military to fight WW3, as the idea is very profitable and this farce allows them to further their extraction of wealth from the economy into their pockets and the pockets of their friends. it's all a giant loving grift, which of course means that IF WW3 happened, America would lose, but it wont.

hope this helps.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

loving hell.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the flip side is the ILWU is basically the strongest union in the US tho .

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

AI port facilities hit different when your country is dedicated to eliminating poverty.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the flip side is the ILWU is basically the strongest union in the US tho .

Nah that's still the police.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CaptainACAB posted:

Nah that's still the police.

ILWU literally won that fight to exist.

https://www.ilwu.org/honoring-bloody-thursday-in-uncertain-times/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I was going to say, the only way we'd do something like that would be to gently caress the working man even more.