Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

stab posted:

Do they not know how criminal.money laundering works?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

stab posted:

They appear to be fairly familiar with it as this questionable news outlet notes that they apparently distribute the received funds through an American non-profit to be distributed via cryptocurrency.

So they know about it in the bad sense of knowing about money laundering.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Didn't know that Sov Cits were an international mental health crisis

Does Canada even have gold fringed flags?

Also lmao these chucklefucks are so screwed

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm so sorry

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Can you really blame these people for thinking they're above the law at this point?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I'm loving the non-profit's name: "Incorporated Freedom 2022 Humans Rights and Freedom Association" all it's missing is a few more Freedoms in it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder what took Trudeau so long to declare a state of emergency?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
If we're calling it an insurrection, and it turns out the funding and seemingly even participation is mostly US based, is that enough to call it an invasion?

I'm only half kidding.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think they're relying on The Internet Privacy Act which was signed by Bill Clinton in 1995.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

You've made a lot of very definitive statements here, could you provide some sort of primary source proof or documentation of them so that your proclamations can be analyzed and debated?

Yes, absolutely. My personal life has become very busy for the next few days so I won't be able to post much until next week.

Count Roland posted:

Now, they did help a bit. Mandates boosted the vaccination rate by a few percent,

eXXon posted:

Source?

This is the paywalled link.
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2022/01/22/do-vaccine-mandates-actually-work

quote:

Here's the text from the article, sorry for any formatting errors:
One in five American adults have not yet got a covid-19 vaccine. This recalcitrant fifth remains despite behavioural nudges, vaccine lotteries and schemes that pay people to get jabbed. On January 13th the Supreme Court blocked a harder-nosed approach—a vaccine-or-test mandate on over 80m workers—from going into effect. How much might it have helped? The recent, successful experience of America’s northern neighbour sheds some light.

On August 5th 2021, Quebec became the first Canadian province to announce a vaccine requirement to enter bars, gyms and restaurants. In the following months other Canadian provinces followed suit. That variation created a natural experiment: comparing provinces with these requirements to those without provided a way to estimate how effective they actually are.

Four economists—Alexander Karaivanov, Dongwoo Kim, Shih En Lu and Hitoshi Shigeoka, all of Simon Fraser University in British Columbia—ran the calculations. In the week after the announcement of pass-sanitaire requirements, first-dose vaccinations increased by 42% over the previous week; and by 71% over two weeks. They estimated that 287,000 more people were vaccinated within six weeks as a result.

In the summer of 2021 France, Germany and Italy all introduced similar, nationwide vaccine mandates for non-essential activities. The authors calculated that these were effective, too. By the end of October 2021, more than 85% of Italy’s eligible population had been jabbed, an estimated 12 percentage points more than if the rule had not gone into effect. In France the policy was credited with an eight percentage-point increase; in Germany with five.

Another working paper, by Miquel Oliu-Barton and his colleagues, corroborates these findings. They found that requiring evidence of vaccination in France, Germany and Italy not only increased jab uptake but also prevented 46,000 hospital admissions, €9.5bn ($11.2bn) in economic losses and 6,400 deaths.

Rich countries are now diverging on restrictions. Some are doubling down and proposing more punitive mandates (see Europe section). Quebec now has plans to introduce a “health contribution fee”. In America, left without a federal mandate, the vaccine-refusal problem may grow more entrenched. The converse of striking success is squandered opportunity.

And here are the charts

The first chart shows the estimated difference the vaccine mandates had in different provinces. The increase is a few percent.

I'll try and post more before I leave work.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

TulliusCicero posted:

Didn't know that Sov Cits were an international mental health crisis

Does Canada even have gold fringed flags?

Also lmao these chucklefucks are so screwed

It is worth noting that a number of the convoy assholes have self-identified as "the fringe minority". I have also seen banners and flags on their vehicles with literal fringes.

And sadly yes, we do have Sov Cits in Canada.

stab posted:

This is the thing that makes me laugh (and cry) about all those state attorney generals trying to find ways to sue GoFundMe for refusing to facilitate international money laundering. Like, this was specifically legislated against in the loving PATRIOT act. Now obviously the right wing in the US have a bit of a "nudge-nudge, wink-wink, that's only for Muslim terrorists" attitude, but good luck getting that past a judge in an actual court of law.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

stab posted:

I’ve been sitting here since the GoFundMe began shaking my drat head. I work for a bank and once a year we have it drilled into our head that what they’re all doing is literally Terrorist Financing. Bankers are taught to look out for it but they’re just… doing it, right now, in front of everyone.

It’s incredible. It’s HSBC times a million.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Gros Tarla posted:

This is happening after Trudeau is rumored to remove mandatory testing at the border.

Wonder if the two are related, considering there was an emergency meeting with all leaders yesterday.

Can't say I'm entirely against removing the PCR test requirement. Had a family member trapped in the US having to fly to Denver to get one because there weren't any rapid PCR tests (expensive as hell as they were) available in the state, and the turnaround for the publicly available PCR tests was over 72 hours. Tourism operators on both sides of the border are probably pretty relieved.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

If we're calling it an insurrection, and it turns out the funding and seemingly even participation is mostly US based, is that enough to call it an invasion?

I'm only half kidding.

Little Green Men, Canadian edition.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

Count Roland posted:

Yes, absolutely. My personal life has become very busy for the next few days so I won't be able to post much until next week.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2022/01/22/do-vaccine-mandates-actually-work

And here are the charts

The first chart shows the estimated difference the vaccine mandates had in different provinces. The increase is a few percent.

Those effects actually look better than I'd have guessed. I think we'll have to wait and see whether the overall cost to society was worth the increase in vaccine uptake, especially when you factor in the age demographics of people who were stimulated into getting the vaccine by the mandate. When it comes to burdens on healthcare, getting a hundred 75 years olds vaccinated is much more valuable than getting a hundred 25 year olds, and so if the mandates mostly affected behaviour in those younger and less at-risk demographics, the overall benefit may not be huge. I think it'll take a while yet to crunch the numbers on that one.

On the other hand, I think that mandating vaccination for COVID may have done a lot of damage to vaccines and public health in general. We've basically handed anti-vaxxers a rhetorical tool kit that will serve them for years to come. In part, this is because being pro-vaccine now puts you in the position of having to defend big-pharma, its impunity, vast profits, and close ties to government and regulatory agencies. You're also now in a position of having to carefully demarcate the forms of bodily autonomy and personal choice that are and aren't acceptable. As a leftist this is a horrible corner to be painted into, since while there are good answers to all those questions, the neoliberal mindset that takes marketized healthcare and the right to individual selfishness as immutable facts of nature makes it impossible to deprogram people in any reasonable amount of time.

What's more, I think there's a good chance that opponents to vaccination will eventually find a legal case with respect to the mandates/passports/real or imagined vaccine side-effects somewhere that gives them an entry point into a supreme court challenge that might do considerable damage to public health in the future.

This will take years to shake out, but I think it's clear that this vaccination program, while unambiguously good for public health, has unleashed some very ugly forces. I don't think that we'd have seen this level of rage if people had not felt railroaded into getting the vaccine, and it remains to be seen whether the long-term effects are worth the cost.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

For real, it’s honestly unbelievable how milquetoast every level of government is here. I knew they would go more kid gloves with right wingers but never imagined they would just be paralyzed about doing anything at all. They gently caress up native and climate protests in hours.

Really a mask off moment

The indigenous protests and railroad blockades in early 2020 lasted quite some time if you recall. Weeks in fact. The enforcement speed isn't much different here. The railroad blockades also caused significant economic damage just like the trucker blockades.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Count Roland posted:

And here are the charts

So, not to be a pedantic rear end in a top hat, but that's not a PRIMARY source as was requested. While this isn't a huge problem as the primary source the article is discussing is linked in the article, when people ask for a primary source they want a link to an academic paper or study. This study also sort of shows some of the flaws in your original argument because it shows how much heavy lifting the term "a few" is doing and the timescale which your data measures: You will notice, in that last chart that you posted that supposedly demonstrates your assessment that mandates only boosted vaccination rates by "a few" percent that this increase took place over a period of only two months and, if my ability to read graphs is up to snuff, the relative difference between vaccination rates with and without mandates in place was continuing to grow by the end of those two months.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

In the interest of not getting the Economist more clicks, the relevant articles are:

COVID-19 Vaccination Mandates and Vaccine Uptake, a preprint, and:
The effect of COVID certificates on vaccine uptake, public health, and the economy, a working paper from an economic think tank.

Ironically, to the extent that they make judgements on the results, both seem to suggest that vaccine mandates work. Also, to the extent that you can trust the 'estimated without restrictions' curve from the first paper, it also seems to suggest that Ontario's half-assed restrictions* accomplished less than other provinces. But if you look at Fig 1, Ontario had rather strange trends in first dose uptake - it was dropping significantly till mid-August, but started rising again before the nominal restriction imposition date of Aug 31 (availability and/or eligibility issues?). I wasn't in Ontario then so I'm not sure which restrictions/mandates were announced when, other than that they're nowhere near as comprehensive as Quebec's.

I have more to add, but back to work first.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 11, 2022

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
https://twitter.com/davidreevely/status/1492250388598517761

Looking forward to seeing what this changes.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://twitter.com/Travisdhanraj/status/1492222409612660749?t=9If1cJioujYhw069P_nt1g&s=19

Oh gently caress right off, really?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

https://twitter.com/AndyFillmoreHFX/status/1491909348372758533?s=20&t=P47RMMuEPewU-1lkEY7nxg

:psyduck:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Everything else about this bullshit seems to be either US-engineered or funded. Why the gently caress not gently caress with our emergency services too?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Someone is committing literal terror attacks, and this dipshits response is to "tone it down". Jesus christ.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1492254262935629829

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Everything else about this bullshit seems to be either US-engineered or funded. Why the gently caress not gently caress with our emergency services too?

I detect the distinct stench of Steve Bannon, Roger Stone, and the Mercers in all of this

Hell maybe even Trump Org

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 11, 2022

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/davidreevely/status/1492274517963587587

judge: "i want the blockade gone so traffic can move"
lawyer: "ok but can you guarantee there won't be bad weather or construction"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

quote:

The police have some discretion and will act with common sense.

Looks like we got a comedian here.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I hate this world.

Canada is somewhere between 80-90% vaccinated.

Deaths in Canada are something like 8800 unvaccinated vs. 3500 for vaccinated/somewhat vaccinated.

Edit: This means that 10-20% of the population dies at a rate of more than 200% than the vaccinated population.

"Vaccines don't work!"

"Fake stats!"

We can see every Xmas; that COVID numbers spike like Everest after the holidays.

"Isolating doesn't do anything!"

Don't even get me started on masks.

Every stupid argument is bolstered by gaslighting and stupidity.

Every sane argument is shouted down.

This is the age of anti-intellectualism.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

NutShellBill posted:

I hate this world.

Canada is somewhere between 80-90% vaccinated.

Deaths in Canada are something like 8800 unvaccinated vs. 3500 for vaccinated/somewhat vaccinated.

Edit: This means that 10-20% of the population dies at a rate of more than 200% than the vaccinated population.

"Vaccines don't work!"

"Fake stats!"

We can see every Xmas; that COVID numbers spike like Everest after the holidays.

"Isolating doesn't do anything!"

Don't even get me started on masks.

Every stupid argument is bolstered by gaslighting and stupidity.

Every sane argument is shouted down.

This is the age of anti-intellectualism.

As a professor of great reknown once said

Welcome to the new dark ages.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

As a professor of great reknown once said

Welcome to the new dark ages.

It was called the Dark Ages because we lack records of the period, not because there was a lack of learning and knowledge.
:goonsay:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It was called the Dark Ages because we lack records of the period, not because there was a lack of learning and knowledge.
:goonsay:

Sigh.

https://youtu.be/WWXLlHyoJxQ

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Bad Religion is best when live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5e2zs2Gmio&t=33s

Greg Graffin's political punk stage style is "gesticulating lawyer presents closing statements".

" WE CAN'T BE MOVED BY RATIONAL VIEWS! WELCOME TO THE NEW DARK AGES!"

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 12, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/StephTaylorCP/status/1492287709003583496

fuckin useles buncha bastards the lot of em

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I think at this point you can stop pretending the police are going to enforce anything. The rule of law is done in Ottawa. Smoke 'em if you've got 'em, and if you don't, put a trash bin through the window of a corner store and grab some, no one will stop you.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 12, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If anyone had to go commit some crimes around the truckers, besides the old west law of getting seriously beaten up, would the police even do anything?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Put on a nice red "Canada First" hat and give it a shot.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
So have they unblocked the bridge yet?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

infernal machines posted:

Put on a nice red "Canada First" hat and give it a shot.

Be white, do crime.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sucrose posted:

So have they unblocked the bridge yet?

Last report was they were waiting until midnight because there's a bunch of kids there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

What, are they going to turn into pumpkins or something?