Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know about cladding but I would say that IMO yorkstone looks much nicer than pebbledash, and yet for some unaccountable reason, some people apparently elected to have their stone houses faced in the poo poo.
Apparently due to the properties of how it can be cleaved/sawn it's one of the easier stones to make panels from like 10mm to 50mm thick that can cover existing brickwork, so it gets used in things from twee escape to the country renovations to actual serious protection and insulation improvement.

It seems hard wearing enough, and doesn't catch fire unless Liz Truss keeps at it with Russia, so it must be better than stucco that keeps coming, well, unstucc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I visited Bath recently and it is a strange place in many ways but the Georgian architecture really is lovely. Though it did strike me that all the single-glazed sash windows must lose a lot of heat

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know about cladding but I would say that IMO yorkstone looks much nicer than pebbledash, and yet for some unaccountable reason, some people apparently elected to have their stone houses faced in the poo poo.
In my brief student-summer-job stint as the world's worst salesman (I was fired after three weeks for not managing to get a single lead while the girl I alternated with got several every day - amazed I made it past the first week, to be honest), my job was to persuade people to put exterior wall coating, some sort of coloured PVC slop, on their houses.

This was in Halifax. Where 99% of houses are Yorkshire sandstone. Why anyone would cover it with gaudy plastic paint, I have no idea.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

That (and OwlFancier's Kemetic church) reminds me, I really want to go look at St George's Church, Bloomsbury, when things are sunnier and less diseased.

You can do all the Hawksmoor churches, which are all of those things in different proportions, with a relatively leisurely afternoon stroll. Unsurprisingly my favourite is St. Anne's Limehouse, you can hear him hoarsely screaming into his assistant's faces while he holds them by the lapels "NO! MORE PILLARS! ALL OF THE PILLARS!"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I love St Albans Abbey because it was built over about a thousand years and you can see where chunks of it fell down and they put up a replacement bit in whatever was the style at the time, so it's this very glaring patchwork of non-matching windows over centuries.

Count the window types, lmao

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Payndz posted:

Why anyone would cover it with gaudy plastic paint, I have no idea.
Twisto mentioned earlier itt that a big cause of all the slapping poo poo over poo poo was because of deliberate leakiness due to open fire heated buildings becoming undesirable, so that makes sense as a big cause of the first round of trying to make it a growth sector. I guess from there it gains inertia of its own.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Non Hoffman-kiln bricks (i.e. most bricks used in the mid-Victorian building boom around most British cities) also tend to be quite porous so when you fix the terrible insulation in the windows and roof they become an absolute nightmare for damp. The leakiness was a feature, not a bug, when you were heating with coal (or peat) though, because you needed somewhere for air to get in to feed the fires, and it also meant that the damp tended not to build up quite as badly because of the constant exchange of air.

Incidentally this is the main reason that pebble-dashing and other surface dressings were so popular in the 60s and 70s - as people moved to central heating in the wake of the Clean Air Act in London (and other regions followed suit when the price of gas plummeted as we moved to North Sea gas from Town Gas) they were a relatively cheap and simple way of addressing the problems caused by removing the fireplaces and the airflow they promoted.

That makes perfect sense for why it's just the kitchen on the back that got plastered to poo poo in my case too, there's still fireplaces in the main rooms that were in use until fairly recently, whereas the kitchen got switched to several forms of gas/electric/hot water over the ages if all the scars on the render are anything to go by. Which is no small part of it falling to poo poo and taking brick faces with it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You can do all the Hawksmoor churches, which are all of those things in different proportions, with a relatively leisurely afternoon stroll.
It's definitely something I ought to do some kind of a walking plan around before actually doing, just that that specific one was the most striking case of "wait what?" that I noticed.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

HopperUK posted:

I love St Albans Abbey because it was built over about a thousand years and you can see where chunks of it fell down and they put up a replacement bit in whatever was the style at the time, so it's this very glaring patchwork of non-matching windows over centuries.

this is the approach I'm taking with my house

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HopperUK posted:

Count the window types, lmao

groverabbey

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's such a beautiful place, I really do loving love it there. Other cathedrals look fake to me now. Oh look at you with your 'used the same stone all over' and 'respected the original design', fancypants.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

groverabbey
Load bearing confessionals.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

OwlFancier posted:

It could be worse, you could be legally required to pebbledash
https://www.islingtontribune.co.uk/...%2520neighbours
It's whitewashed so it's not as bad a plain.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Load bearing confessionals.

Some sins are a heavier burden than others.

Nice info on the Swiss cheese fronted church.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you feed a silver shilling into the slot on the plinth of

and ask "what is the difference between property, utility, and aesthetic, and how does it demonstrate the difference between labour value and land monopoly value" then it prints out a small piece of paper with

quote:

a planning inspector has ruled that homeowner Susanne Willumsen must face the laborious task of replacing the pebbledash finish she had removed from her £2.3million house in picturesque Crediton Hill
on it.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I visited Bath recently and it is a strange place in many ways but the Georgian architecture really is lovely. Though it did strike me that all the single-glazed sash windows must lose a lot of heat

Yeah they're shite for it. You can get better ones but I know someone who's doing up a scottish tenement flat and they can afford to do about two windows per year. Yorkshire sash windows are even worse. They slide horizontally.
Back to churchchat, this crime against decency is on the other side of town from me https://goo.gl/maps/Eqw9FSStiAJkQoKP8
That's total immersion cement rendering on the Yorkstone.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1492261808891121664

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1492264669591097347

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 11, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It's definitely something I ought to do some kind of a walking plan around before actually doing, just that that specific one was the most striking case of "wait what?" that I noticed.

I mean you'll manage to hit just about every style of architecture ever seen in this country along the way, especially if you don't mind a few diversions. Start at Bloomsbury, and obviously you've got the big gently caress-off neoclassical British Museum just opposite, walk down High Holborn which is a more interesting road than anyone gives it credit for just because it has no real *great* buildings, just a melange of fairly sturdy, practical styles of offices from the last 300 years or so, past some more neoclassical at the Old Bailey and that little church Hawksmoor's teacher did[1].

From there head down Cheapside and actually experience the strange feeling of agreeing with Prince Charles about something, because there's been an all-star competition among architects for 80 years now to make the ugliest loving buildings ever seen right next to St. Paul's, enjoy Wren just dick-slapping the perfectly innocent Norman church at St. Mary-Le-Bow, a bit more neoclassical at the Royal Exchange and Mansion House at Bank (and the Bank of England itself, a style that I call FVCK OFF for its combination of classical and "No seriously, gently caress off, there's a lot of money in here and you ain't getting it"), and tick off St. Mary Woolnoth - the dullest of Hawksmoor's churches, as it only has about 5 different styles slapped on it.

From there you're in Big Important 20th Century Architects Land - walk down Leadenhall Street and get assaulted by Lloyd's, which actually looks pretty good in comparison to the other poo poo that's gone up since (but do divert into Leadenhall Street Market, which looks like a Victorian funfair owner was asked to design a shopping mall), and the wonderfully incongruous little St. Andrew Undershaft being loomed over by the Cheesegrater and The Gherkin as you walk up St. Mary Axe. Cross over Houndsditch and experience the bizarre decompression of going from a building that looks like the oil-filled radiator of the gods straight into the old East India Company's warehouses at Cutler Street, and then straight into the grimmest bit of architectural vandalism in years at Spitalfields where they slapped a completely generic glass office block into the middle of Spitalfields Market (then did the exact same thing again a decade later at the Wool Exchange), before taking in the wedding-cake Christ Church Spitalfields, which is the biggest of his churches and the most blatant of the CoE's "Oi nonconformists, Catholics and Jews, you seeing this poo poo?" style of the period.

From there, down Commercial Street you can get whiplash from how quickly you go from grim and grotty Victorian (and earlier if you slip into the side streets behind the church to check out the old weaver's cottages) to fart-app creative hubs at Aldgate East, then down Leman Street (I suppose you could divert right and go check out the Tower if you want), head down Cable Street and you get a tour of just about every style of cheap housing ever built in London - big 70s council estates, little Victorian terraces, horrible 80s/90s "regeneration", and of course St. George In The East.

From there back up to Cable Street and keep going, round Limehouse Basin (a compendium of "poo poo we've thrown up to displace poor people" through the ages to St. Anne's and it's pillars. Then down Milligan Street to Canary Wharf, enough said, along Westferry Road to see another whirlwind tour of council estate styles but now of the gargantuan variety - 60s LPS at Barkantine, 30s mansions at Kingsbridge, 80s overoptimism at Spindrift, and some miraculously surviving Industrial Revolution cottages and workshops (including a bit of the Great Eastern slipway, slightly oddly ensconced in a 90s redevelopment, then through the Greenwich Foot Tunnel for some experience of how the other half have lived all this time and St. Alpheges.

Obviously you can leapfrog bits of that on a bus, and in fact I'd advise you to because it does get a bit samey at walking pace.

[1] Seriously do take a look at St. Paul's because it's actually *really* loving weird, especially when you realise it was supposed to have a spire like a good Anglican church should, but Wren chucked a big gently caress-off Popish dome on it apparently without anyone noticing until the scaffolding came down - seriously, the foundations and supporting pillars are *very* obviously set up for a spire and it's actually a bit of a tour-de-force to literally square a circle to put on a dome on it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Endjinneer posted:

Back to churchchat, this crime against decency is on the other side of town from me https://goo.gl/maps/Eqw9FSStiAJkQoKP8
That's total immersion cement rendering on the Yorkstone.

if you want an eye-wateringly ugly church, check out this bad boy

Tasty Pi
Nov 5, 2005
Yum

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've always wondered how they deal with houses built after 1991 (or indeed HMOs, or conversions)? I assume there's some bloke kept in a cupboard somewhere cut off from all outside contact since Nevermind came out, and every once in a while they open it up and go "Right, two bedroom flat, 10th floor, just off the Old Kent Road" and he goes "Hmm... 65k?". I wonder what kind of image of the world he's built up as he wonders why people keep asking him to value 50th floor flats in Battersea or 10 square metre bedsits in Manchester.

I met this bloke a couple of years ago when we moved into our house and it didn't yet have a council tax band.

He came to the house, took a look around and then tried to find a comparable house that existed in the 90s in the area, and uses that as the basis for his decision.

Not sure if that's how every council does it but it's seemingly how it works here. I've no idea how it works for buildings for which there was no 90s equivalent in the area...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps it is the same collective consciousness that churns out all the avocado mortgage articles.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"if Met look into Christmas quiz" and "the night of the alleged 'Abba Party'" would have been completely bizarre things to read a few years ago, outside of Steve Coogan doing a Natural Born Quizzers followup dressed as Bjorn Ulvaeus.

Endjinneer posted:

Yeah they're shite for it.
I remember hearing that the vertical sash window units got a lot cheaper a few years back, for plastic molding reasons, but I've no idea what's happened with that recently (for pandemic reasons).

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Seriously do take a look at St. Paul's because it's actually *really* loving weird
Thank you for this, I'm going to have to do some virtual map scrawling come summer (hopefully summer this year).

The weirdest thing I recall about St. Paul's is that an Orthodox Jew could walk exactly from the dome to either Temple Bar west or St Dunstan in the East on a Saturday, should he have wanted to, falling near exactly within a Sabbath day's journey. And that it was entirely due to Wren and subsequent planners being giant nerds about shoehorning in all the book trivia they knew and wanted you to know they knew, rather than any shadowy conspiracy reasons. Which of course has never stopped anyone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If he was really ahead of his time he could have built an eruv around the entirety of the M25.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

if you want an eye-wateringly ugly church, check out

Aww I rather like this one. Saw it on holiday last year. It’s definitely unusual.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

if you want an eye-wateringly ugly church, check out this bad boy

Eh, I like a good Modernist church, personally.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Thank you for this, I'm going to have to do some virtual map scrawling come summer (hopefully summer this year).

NP, drop me a PM nearer the time and I can probably actually flesh it out a bit for particular things to look for (and what buses to get to avoid the duller bits) if you want.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
honestly the only problem with that church is that it badly needs new landscaping with someone who has an eye for it. come on, this is right up y'all's alley. "and coming up next on bbc2 is hallowed grounds, our new programme focused on beautifying the landscaping of britain's storied churches"

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1492245569980489729

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

ro5s posted:

Leaving Aberdeen is like the bit of Wizard of Oz where it switches from black and white to colour.

Holy loving poo poo.
I lived in Aberdeen for the first 27 years of my life before moving to Brighton and you have summed it better than I've ever managed. lmao.

Now, you may well be just referring to the granite buildings. I'm not

(I now live in fife sadly, not as bad as the deen, but it's no brighton)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

That (and OwlFancier's Kemetic church) reminds me, I really want to go look at St George's Church, Bloomsbury, when things are sunnier and less diseased.

It's such an odd combination of Roman Classical, Egyptian funereal, cosplay King George statues, etc.

One of my great uncles was previously a rector at St Georges.

I visited there start of January and found it again - although it was closed so couldn't go in it. I wanted to pester the current Vicar to see if they remembered my great uncle.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Govt. spokesperson on BBC breakfast this morning saying "I want to make it absolutely clear to Moscow that no British troops will set foot in Ukraine should Russia invade". So I guess the Truss/Lavrov meetings didn't go as well as they'd hoped.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's a bit of a nothing statement, NATO can annihilate Eastern Ukraine with depleted uranium munitions like it's restaging 90s Bosnia "Operation Deliberate Force", that doesn't require any squaddie boots on the ground.

E:maybe Yugoslavia is a better example. Bombing that did $30bn in economic damage and probably cost as much to carry out

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 12, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Whatever your opinions on Russia and it's government - and I have absolutely no love for Putin - you can't help but see their point when you look into the history of this whole mess. Why *wouldn't* they mobilise troops on their own border given the circumstances? That's surely a totally legitimate thing for a nation to do? In Britain, we're going exactly that just to keep a few Afghans from landing their dinghy on our beach. The hypocrisy from Western leaders stinks imo. But then, what's new?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
On the one hand, someone made the point that the continuous state of civil war in Ukraine totally justifies Russian border militarisation, in the same way that if part of Mexico seceded and weaponry was flooding in from other countries the US would almost certainly invade.

On the other hand, Russia is quite open about its anti-Atlanticist geopolitical strategy of loving with its western neighbours and exercising irredentist claims, and they already just marched in and took Crimea.

On the third hand, Russia does military exercises all the time and Western nations only tend to notice when it's politically useful or the MIC is feeling underappreciated.

So ...maybe just chill guys idk

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Is this when your teeth go all multi coloured in the light

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

"👏More 👏Women 👏Corruption 👏Police 👏Commissioners!"

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-the-uk/the-misogyny-that-led-to-the-fall-of-londons-police-commissioner

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is this when your teeth go all multi coloured in the light

That's just being British I think?

Sorry

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

oh for fucks sake

I was going to say something about being a ~pioneering woman and/or minority~ in a top job shouldn't shield people from accountability, but then again, accountability is un-american so the article makes sense :shrug:

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Lol I think I need to sign off for the day... It's only 9:30am and I am overwhelmed by Stuff. https://www.joe.co.uk/news/all-uk-t...m_campaign=feed

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a bit of a nothing statement, NATO can annihilate Eastern Ukraine with depleted uranium munitions like it's restaging 90s Bosnia "Operation Deliberate Force", that doesn't require any squaddie boots on the ground.

E:maybe Yugoslavia is a better example. Bombing that did $30bn in economic damage and probably cost as much to carry out

I wouldn't be so sure (and I can guarantee NATO commanders aren't so sure) about that. NATO hasn't fought a war without undisputed air supremacy... ever, really, and the USAF and RAF noped right out of Syria the moment S400s started turning up there. They know that the bully tactics they've been using for the last 30 years would get them obliterated in seconds if they tried them over the Black Sea.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

suck my woke dick posted:

oh for fucks sake

I was going to say something about being a ~pioneering woman and/or minority~ in a top job shouldn't shield people from accountability, but then again, accountability is un-american so the article makes sense :shrug:

Isn't it brilliant? It's like the person writing it has literally just googled her this morning and then made her fit whatever poo poo they already had in their drafts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
speaking of weak performative bullshit

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/durham-university-returns-wartime-flags-to-japan-in-decolonisation-drive-dq62qp07l

the university claims this is part of decolonialisation. If you read into it it's sending a family memento to some next of kin which is fair enough but Durham instead claim it's somehow decolonialisation.

Hell no it's not decolonialisation, Japan was just a loving awful wannabe-empire trying to displace a slightly less awful but still terrible existing empire, and the end result of Britain fighting Japan in the Pacific was a contribution to weakening empires all around. The idea of "decolonialise the university by returning imperial Japanese war trophies" should be answered by "lol no we shot some bad guys and took souvenirs, die mad about it"

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 12, 2022