Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

We watch everything with subtitles now because nobody bothers enunciating any more.

Same with two exceptions: comedies and horror. Comedies aren’t a problem because usually the people are speaking at a reasonable volume, and I can’t have subtitles because I’ll read the punchline before it’s said and that ruins it for me.

Horror is tricky because they almost always whisper, but nothing ruins a frightening cinematic moment for me quite like [Foreboding music begins to play] or [Demonic screeching] at the bottom of my screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AARD VARKMAN posted:

that the pupkin one?

I don’t think so

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pham Nuwen posted:

Give me The Witcher but everyone is blasting out mid-atlantic accents

Isn't that just the Witcher games where the American actors start slipping into a faux English accent on occasion?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

We watch everything with subtitles now because nobody bothers enunciating any more.
I assume it's because I got old.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Nah everybody whisperin

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i feel like it's often a bad audio mixing job, or something. maybe they're doing it on purpose at this point even.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

i feel like it's often a bad audio mixing job, or something. maybe they're doing it on purpose at this point even.

I wouldn't doubt that audio mixing is probably the last thing that gets done and amounts to a lot of "gently caress it, good enough, we're behind schedule so lets get this out the door!"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Murdstone posted:

Nah, it's literally that no one understands sound mixing anymore because they outsource it to some farm where a guy with $9000 headphones is like "ok I can hear the dialogue in my final cut with the volume maxed" and then the consumer televisions and headphones are blown out by the mix and the dialogue is like 60% lower than it should be because no one actually screens stuff anymore.

See also: The Battle of Winterfell looked fine on $50,000 professional monitors running directly from the server, they hit upload and everyone watching it over cable or wifi on a consumer television was like "wtf you can't see anything"

Nobody actually takes the time to do basic filmmaking anymore so it all just looks and sounds like poo poo because you have computer touchers handling poo poo that artists and craftsmen should.

And then you have Chris Nolan who is just an incompetent boob.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

that the pupkin one?

Yes

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i have similar problems with sound mixes in videogames. i think they often don't account for people without a fancy audio set up.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Wouldn't The Witcher just be better as a Rami-Tapert joint? Like 26 episode seasons with Geralt and a revolving cast of sidekicks getting into scrapes, fighting monsters and solving problems? That'd still leave enough room for the mage nonsense/Niflgard stuff/Ciri story to slowly develop in the background. Trying to do a 10-episode prestige format with something that's fundamentally best as "Man scowls, fights a wacky monster" just seems like a losing proposal. You don't need to turn it into some kinda GoT politics-fest. Just cut the budget, shoot more episodes and give us more silly monster poo poo.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Endless Trash posted:

Look just start getting used to turning on subtitles, they loving suck I know, but it’s either that or just having a vague understanding of what’s going on. And hey that’s fine too.

*mumble growls at you and does... something!*

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

my hat goes off to Scream 2022 which had excellent sound mixing and ADR

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

my hat goes off to Scream 2022 which had excellent sound mixing and ADR

Well poo poo now I need to see it.

It's so weird that A24 and horror schlock are the only movies with decent sound anymore.

Like as lovely as EVIL DIES TONIGHT was, when that 300 year old cop slurred out "heesh turning ush inta monstersh" you could hear that poo poo clear as hell.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

EVIL DIES TONIGHT!!!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Apparently the conflict between Boba Fett and the blue man in this show is the conclusion of the plotline that would've been included in season 7 of the old Star Wars cartoon but it was canceled after the sixth season. But they released some behind the scenes info about what would've happened, and fans have been eagerly awaiting the ending of the thing which they were told would have happened. After so many years, Star Wars fans finally got to see Boba Fett ride a Rancor.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Like why is Geralt all polished up and wearing a lame muted color Superman costume?

"I hate portals."

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Book of Borba was weird. They did passable CGI/stunt work with the train raid, the desert monster fight and the Rancor, but the rest was just straight up :effort: with the ep1 shield assassins perhaps being the saddest thing I've ever seen in a big budget release, at least until that car/scooter chase a few episodes later.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
Our movies for tonight!

1. Devil's Deal

This extremely cool and unique OC (do not steal!) that is definitely in no way just an old timey Joshua Graham hunts people who've made deals with the devil and collects their souls when their contracts come due.

2. Vampariah

A vampire hunter discovers secrets about her own past and realises that she might not be fighting for the right side.

3. Meridian

That horny wolf-man sex pervert movie Jay mentioned in the Re:View of Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Starting at 8:00 EST, about an hour and a half from now.

e: and a link to the channel https://discord.gg/3X6VWBNW

Dr. Thoss fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 12, 2022

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Def in for movie night but I'll need someone to hit me up on PM on where to go/what to install

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Endless Trash posted:

Same with two exceptions: comedies and horror. Comedies aren’t a problem because usually the people are speaking at a reasonable volume, and I can’t have subtitles because I’ll read the punchline before it’s said and that ruins it for me.

Horror is tricky because they almost always whisper, but nothing ruins a frightening cinematic moment for me quite like [Foreboding music begins to play] or [Demonic screeching] at the bottom of my screen

yeah i wish there were separate subtitles that were only for dialogue. or i wish that i could hear the dialogue.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

TheSwizzler posted:

Def in for movie night but I'll need someone to hit me up on PM on where to go/what to install

We're using Discord, and here's a link to the channel!

https://discord.gg/3X6VWBNW

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

the last movie I watched that I didn't have to constantly monitor the volume was Dune iirc

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheSwizzler posted:

Wouldn't The Witcher just be better as a Rami-Tapert joint? Like 26 episode seasons with Geralt and a revolving cast of sidekicks getting into scrapes, fighting monsters and solving problems? That'd still leave enough room for the mage nonsense/Niflgard stuff/Ciri story to slowly develop in the background. Trying to do a 10-episode prestige format with something that's fundamentally best as "Man scowls, fights a wacky monster" just seems like a losing proposal. You don't need to turn it into some kinda GoT politics-fest. Just cut the budget, shoot more episodes and give us more silly monster poo poo.

The politics poo poo didn't make any sense in the games, and it don't make any sense in the show.

Like, show me a map. Where the gently caress is Niflgaard? What's a Skelliga?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TheSwizzler posted:

Book of Borba was weird. They did passable CGI/stunt work with the train raid, the desert monster fight and the Rancor, but the rest was just straight up :effort: with the ep1 shield assassins perhaps being the saddest thing I've ever seen in a big budget release, at least until that car/scooter chase a few episodes later.

After I watched episode 1 I just kinda decided to not bother watching anything of the rest of the series and I feel I made the correct call.

God those shield assassins were so loving dire.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The politics poo poo didn't make any sense in the games, and it don't make any sense in the show.

Its shown in the card game Thronebreaker, the game which promises a reactive and sprawling story but whose almost entire ending like "do minority groups like you yes/no" is determined by what you do in the epilogue chapter with no choices you made until that point counting. The epilogue consists of three back to back choices of "would you like to be nice to minorities?" bluntness level choices.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 12, 2022

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I for real just now realized Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls is a pee pee poopie joke.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

X JAKK posted:

I for real just now realized Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls is a pee pee poopie joke.

I put it on a couple weeks ago, holds up. “I couldn’t help but notice, did you refer to me as white devil?” “It’s how they know you!” Lmao

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

priznat posted:

After I watched episode 1 I just kinda decided to not bother watching anything of the rest of the series and I feel I made the correct call.

A few neat scenes, but you didn’t miss much. A precipitous drop from Mando season 1.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

priznat posted:

That shield encounter felt like a badly planned D&D encounter where I was DMing and thought I was super loving clever when I wrote it but I look around 20 minutes in to a room full of bored, frustrated friends and realize I hosed up.

I made it up to them by letting them steal dinosaur eggs.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, didn't realize the Macbeth movie was in theatres, I thought it was just a streamer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It was in cinemas a week or so before apple

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Nah, it's literally that no one understands sound mixing anymore because they outsource it to some farm where a guy with $9000 headphones is like "ok I can hear the dialogue in my final cut with the volume maxed" and then the consumer televisions and headphones are blown out by the mix and the dialogue is like 60% lower than it should be because no one actually screens stuff anymore.

See also: The Battle of Winterfell looked fine on $50,000 professional monitors running directly from the server, they hit upload and everyone watching it over cable or wifi on a consumer television was like "wtf you can't see anything"

Nobody actually takes the time to do basic filmmaking anymore so it all just looks and sounds like poo poo because you have computer touchers handling poo poo that artists and craftsmen should.

And then you have Chris Nolan who is just an incompetent boob.

This is some nerdy rear end poo poo but along these lines if I see one more producer asking an online editor to make changes to a locked offline edit I'm going to Kamehameha their spleen right out of the room

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Mordja posted:

Huh, didn't realize the Macbeth movie was in theatres, I thought it was just a streamer.

more like a steamer, yeah: a hot pile of poo poo!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

apparently it takes like 6 hours to ride from Cintri to Witcher Castle, which (er) is waaaay up in the mountains lol

s2 was really bad with world building

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

big DC preview thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxheU-E0Tg

I have no idea how the gently caress The Batman even ties into all this, are they doing some weird reboot or what??? It's not like the original Superman or Batman storylines are being brought back

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/heres-why-movie-dialogue-has-gotten-more-difficult-to-understand-and-three-ways-to-fix-it/

It seems like sound mixing is often an afterthought these days. The people working on the film can do a great job but all it takes is someone further on down the line to screw it up for the viewer. I came across that article when I went to see Dune when it came back to Imax here and it didn't sound as awesome as it did the first time.

Rinkles posted:

i have similar problems with sound mixes in videogames. i think they often don't account for people without a fancy audio set up.

It feels like it's the opposite in my experience. Ever since I got a nice sound system I notice weird stuff with the surround mix that often forces me to fall back to stereo. PSO2 has weird poo poo with sound effects coming out of the wrong channels, and Guilty Gear Strive just crashes unless I switch Windows to stereo only. I've reported the bugs I run across months ago but I'm assuming anyone with more than 2.1 channels is still rare enough that it's not a high priority to get fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

DLC Inc posted:

big DC preview thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxheU-E0Tg

I have no idea how the gently caress The Batman even ties into all this, are they doing some weird reboot or what??? It's not like the original Superman or Batman storylines are being brought back

That video you posted is a combo of something that was just released today and stuff that was shown earlier at that DC Fan thing.

This was released today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNV7364Rm70

It's a sizzle reel of sorts for the DC movies coming out this year.

edit: There's no reboot going on as far as I know however the Flash does have a multiverse thing and he visits Michael Keaton Batman (you can hear his voice in that video).