Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

It reminds me of how people who live on the lower east coast and gulf coast and florida etc. deal with hurricanes, still, in this day and age, despite having lots of directed, good information about what they are and how they work

Feel like this is a different thing unless I'm reading you wrong and you're talking about something else. Many people ignore the hell out of tornado warnings in the midwest or at least don't go huddle in the basement or bathtub or an interior closet right away. What you're talking about seems like a fatalistic response rather than trying to weaponize a law you don't understand because you're whiny.

The part about not understanding disease is on point though. I think it just seems different to me because I am not throwing a hurricane or tornado at your house, while I can absolutely cough on you.

e: not 'you' if that wasn't obvious, the people who are doing poo poo like that I meant.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

It reminds me of how people who live on the lower east coast and gulf coast and florida etc. deal with hurricanes, still, in this day and age, despite having lots of directed, good information about what they are and how they work

how so?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
No Pfizer vaccine for kids this spring. I'm going to become the goddamn Joker.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

shirts and skins posted:

Yeah, I'm a bit pissed off. Two didn't do well enough, but three works? So let's get loving started so when the third is authorized we're already on the way!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

At least folks have the fig leaf excuse of inconsistent and unfocused communication around Covid.

Yeah. I think "should you evacuate when the three-day chart shows your town under the cat 3 hurricane, even though that's still like only a 25% chance you'll get hit" isn't a wildly politicized question where if you evacuate you're a filthy liberal and if you stay to ride it out you're sticking it to the libs like a real american? Being furious because you "evacuated unnecessarily" strikes me as more of a nonpartisan stupidity.

Although "should america pay for weather satellites" is still politicized, because they inconveniently provide evidence of global climate change. So maybe this is naïve of me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just that, and this is an impression from the various weather disaster megathreads, tons of people living in hurricane alleyways steadfastly refuse to learn basic things like "the cat scale is about maximum sustained winds, but how much damage you'll take is more about whether you're on the onshore or offshore side, how big the storm is, how big storm surge is projected to be in your area, and how long the storm lingers over your locale" and then try to ride out a monster storm because it's "only a cat 3 and I rode out a cat 3 back in '96 and it wasn't poo poo" nevermind the projected 12-foot storm surge and this storm is twice as large.

The science of hurricanes is of course a deep and technical subject that you can study for a lifetime. But a decent amount of really good, distilled information is constantly available to people in the potential paths of atlantic hurricanes... and yet people still insist they know better, based on gut feels and what their peers are doing, and act contrary to their own interests (and sometimes, survival).

The covid stuff reminds me of that. There's "I just never was taught this" ignorance, and then there's stubborn, willful, defiant ignorance. It's not a perfect comparison! Just something that occurred to me while I was looking at that post.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

shirts and skins posted:

So the FDA is worried that kids age two and up might need a 3rd shot in order to reach the high levels of immunity the vaccines can provide and so they're delaying the ability to get the first 2 shots until after they get better answers on that 3rd shot? Is this about right? If so I am buying clown makeup on the way home.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Its Rinaldo posted:

I have actually done something like that where somebody asks to speak the manager I blink and wait a beat then ask how can I help them.

Getting asked to speak to the manager when you *are* the manager is the dream of every service worker

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kalli posted:

Did this get posted? If not, welcome to PopCopy

https://twitter.com/STFU_anajai2/status/1491927773736316928

The audio quality isn't the best (or my hearing is finally starting to go) but she's yelling about not being able to rent a yacht? Or dine on one or something? Fuckin chill ma'am.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Weirdly I'm more tolerant of these sort of entitled freak out videos than I would've been in the past. Past half decade has been mentally scaring for the best of us. The yacht going community never stood a chance.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

C-Euro posted:

The audio quality isn't the best (or my hearing is finally starting to go) but she's yelling about not being able to rent a yacht? Or dine on one or something? Fuckin chill ma'am.

She wants to rent a yacht, the employee/manager is saying they don't rent yachts, the woman is pointing at the yachts in the water as proof that it's a lie, the employee/manager says those are peoples' yachts not rented ones and the woman is livid about this

Basically the equivalent of demanding Hertz rent you a limo at the airport and saying there are limos picking people up as proof that Hertz indeed rents limos

e: I was just reminded of "Pokemon Go to the polls!" and am still incredulous it's a thing that really happened

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 11, 2022

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I’ll drop a “let’s Pokémon Go to the [place]” on occasion and it never fails to make my SO mad, it rules

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

shirts and skins posted:

this is the bit that makes me the most frustrated:

"Some health experts have urged the FDA to hold off on authorization because the testing so far didn’t find that the vaccine produced a strong immune response in 2- to 4-year-olds, but only in children under 2."

well then let me get my 1yo vaccinated at least.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

So the FDA is worried that kids age two and up might need a 3rd shot in order to reach the high levels of immunity the vaccines can provide and so they're delaying the ability to get the first 2 shots until after they get better answers on that 3rd shot? Is this about right? If so I am buying clown makeup on the way home.

yes :argh:

If there were at least no adverse effects from the first two, why not get a whole cohort prepped for the eventual booster

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The vaccine news is pissing me off. Wait until we find out Moderna people were pushing the FDA to postpone approval so they could try to get one approved at the same time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Double post, but realizing that with the NFL pushing the Super Bowl back a week means we may end up with a year where the SB and Valentine’s Day are on the same day. Going to be awkward.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Just that, and this is an impression from the various weather disaster megathreads, tons of people living in hurricane alleyways steadfastly refuse to learn basic things like "the cat scale is about maximum sustained winds, but how much damage you'll take is more about whether you're on the onshore or offshore side, how big the storm is, how big storm surge is projected to be in your area, and how long the storm lingers over your locale" and then try to ride out a monster storm because it's "only a cat 3 and I rode out a cat 3 back in '96 and it wasn't poo poo" nevermind the projected 12-foot storm surge and this storm is twice as large.

The science of hurricanes is of course a deep and technical subject that you can study for a lifetime. But a decent amount of really good, distilled information is constantly available to people in the potential paths of atlantic hurricanes... and yet people still insist they know better, based on gut feels and what their peers are doing, and act contrary to their own interests (and sometimes, survival).

The covid stuff reminds me of that. There's "I just never was taught this" ignorance, and then there's stubborn, willful, defiant ignorance. It's not a perfect comparison! Just something that occurred to me while I was looking at that post.

I listened to an interesting discussion on this kind of thinking the other day (the vax and covid, not necessarily the weather stuff) and they talked about leadership and the govt, or rather they referred to it as "traditionally trusted sources of information" i.e. the media and govt working in tandem to deliver helpful instruction in times of crisis. They spoke about all leadership essentially being about capital, whether this is professional as a shift manager, captain of a football team, or leader of a nation you're constantly, both earning and spending your capital with your audience.

The example they gave was a new work place policy there's going to be times where your boss is short with you, maybe less polite than you'd like and you're happy enough to let it slide because the day before you had a long conversation with your ideas about how things could improve in the office. You've been listened to and heard and you feel they've upheld your trust, so on this day they've spent a little of that capital they've earned. On and on the relationship goes with this exchange of doing whats right and whats necessary and it's a delicate balance and there will be times when you're in the black and in the red and it's a sign of good leadership and a good leader to understand where they are and make adjustments or they will fracture that relationship.

When it comes to the govt and media... There's been broken election promises, reporting of events in bad faith, information on the corona virus and instructions on the best way forward have changed from (the example they used) masks won't help, to you should wear a mask, to you must wear a mask, to masks are optional and at every turn the response to any questioning or rejection of that has been so vitriolic there's been this big expenditure of that capital. It's also not just a one issue thing either, there's been plenty of mis-steps and bending of the truth and general silliness at every turn. Whether or not someone is conscious and considerate of this doesn't matter. The fact is that just about everywhere in the west our leaders and our media have abused that capital and trust and most places are firmly in the red. I don't think there's a democracy that at this point is happy with their leaders or their corporate media.

To be clear here I'm not defending anti-vaxxers at all.

I have to admit though, even just myself and the corona virus here we were told when this % of the population is double vaxxed masks will no longer be required and complete freedom could come back, we all got double vaxxed, a few weeks later - the mask mandate came back, restrictions were firmly put back in place and it was as if it hadn't happened. Fair enough, we wear the masks, we stay home, we don't go out, and another couple of weeks we're told a booster is required to be considered fully vaxxed, so fair enough we get boosted. Now there's talk of a fourth being needed, the mask mandate hasn't been addressed or looked into, the tax relief we were promised has changed into business relief and economy boosting that's just going into the pockets of big business and it's got to the point now where any government directive comes along I kind of roll my eyes and go... gently caress me what now?

I will fully acknowledge that there's a group of people that from the jump put on their tin foil hats and flatly refused to believe anything the govt and the media said about the virus and I'm not talking about these people. I think though, the Venn diagram of people who aren't trusting of the message anymore is growing pretty quickly as a result of how poorly that capital has been expended. I think if the people in positions of authority were wiser in how they used that capital and more honest in what they knew and when and how they've come to the conclusions they would have seen more cooperation than just going "YOU MUST" at every turn. I'm still following the letter of the law here, but it is starting to chafe a little after two years, no real end in site and a constant shifting of the goal posts and criteria for me to not be chided like I'm 5 years old.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/20109/XCOM_Ultimate_Collection/

Wow, $20 for basically every XCOM/XCOM 2 thing

e: Or if you just want the XCOM 2 stuff, $7

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/7118/XCOM_2_Collection/

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 12, 2022

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Double post, but realizing that with the NFL pushing the Super Bowl back a week means we may end up with a year where the SB and Valentine’s Day are on the same day. Going to be awkward.

We’ve got until 2026 to prep ourselves for this.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Went to go drop some garbage off in my condo's dumpster, and someone had put a computer in the recycle. I pulled it out, and it still had a Ryzen 7 3800x in it. That's nicer than the CPU in my dang system! I haven't been able to test if it works yet (I don't see any outward signs of damage that suggests it would be), but that'll be a weekend project. There was also a decent motherboard and 8GB of DDR4 RAM in there, and maybe a semi-functional PSU. The tower itself is dusty as all hell, but who the heck trashes a system like that?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

We’ve got until 2026 to prep ourselves for this.

Because I'm a day ahead it's V day this year on superbowl day.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I will fully acknowledge that there's a group of people that from the jump put on their tin foil hats and flatly refused to believe anything the govt and the media said about the virus and I'm not talking about these people. I think though, the Venn diagram of people who aren't trusting of the message anymore is growing pretty quickly as a result of how poorly that capital has been expended. I think if the people in positions of authority were wiser in how they used that capital and more honest in what they knew and when and how they've come to the conclusions they would have seen more cooperation than just going "YOU MUST" at every turn. I'm still following the letter of the law here, but it is starting to chafe a little after two years, no real end in site and a constant shifting of the goal posts and criteria for me to not be chided like I'm 5 years old.

I agree with a lot of this. For us, here, a major disconnect has been that I think our political leaders have been variably willing, reluctant, or unwilling to make mandates; but regardless of where they land, they've been nearly universally unable to explain coherently what those mandates are for and what they could accomplish. Part of that is just the incredible science illiteracy, especially among our leaders.

Like, when the CDC initially told people in early 2020 "don't wear masks," the reason was because there was a severe mask shortage and they wanted to ensure that hospital workers didn't run out of masks. But that reason wasn't communicated! Probably in part because they feared if they told people "don't hoard masks, the hospitals need them" people would have hoarded the gently caress out of masks, it's a classic tragedy of the commons situation. Nevertheless, it created a horrific mixed message when, once mask manufacturing capacity shot up, and more studies and lab testing proved masks helped, suddenly it was "everyone should wear a mask."

Another thing that has happened is that, because we're incapable as a society of understanding nuance, a lot of statements have been dumbed down for public consumption and that has backfired horribly. So before a vaccine, when we were saying "wear a mask, it will keep you from transmitting covid or getting it, and also stay 6 feet apart," the nuanced thing to say would have been "doing this reduces the aggregate transmission rate to a level where we think our medical structures can cope, but does not actually eliminate transmission, and you can in fact catch covid from more than six feet away, or despite mostly wearing a mask you made at home or you're not wearing correctly or you just forgot." Similar to the vaccines: in order to convince people of the necessity of the vaccine, the nuance that break-through infections were still possible got converted by an aggressive right-wing disinformation machine into "vaccines don't even work" because nuance is dead. Epedimiologists knew from the outset that a global viral pandemic would have multiple waves, and probably multiple mutation cycles too; but to avoid "muddying the message" and just try to rally people and get them to just believe the urgency, that nuance wasn't provided, it was just "we gotta slow this down now, so everyone have lockdowns and wear masks for a while, we can beat this!" Presidents, governors, mayors, none of them wanted to say "we can beat this! For now! Then we can open up a bit, and then lock down again for wave 2! Then probably again for wave 3! Then maybe we'll have stabilized, like, not really won, but we'll have survived, mostly!" That's not a message any modern politician wants to or is willing to convey, because their constituents won't listen to or accept that, and that makes the very big assumption that those politicians would even understand this to be the likeliest future.

It goes on and on. Nuance about how well the vaccines might work against variants. Nuance about how the accelerated vaccine approval worked (by allowing parallelization of normally sequential steps, not by skipping the testing phases that establish safety). The nuance that the death rate isn't the only or maybe even the most important health metric, because covid survivors are suffering serious long-term and permanent effects in huge numbers.

Our failures of leadership were at least partly because they faced the impossible job of convincing 80%+ of a scientifically illiterate population to take steps that can't be reasonably justified without a nuanced understanding of the factors in place. But also in a large degree because many, perhaps most, of those leaders saw their own political careers jeopardized by the health measures they were obliged to force on people, and chose the path of savagely undermining the health measures instead, both rhetorically and through implemented policy.

So... yeah, you're right. The people in charge flailed: spent political capital trying to convince or force people to do the right thing, and then spent more political capital by reversing course, and then still more when the highly predictable and inevitable second and third waves hit. We do not elect smart brave people.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 12, 2022

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

seiferguy posted:

who the heck trashes a system like that?

Someone with more money than sense, like a crypto miner or a congressman

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I agree with a lot of this. For us, here, a major disconnect has been that I think our political leaders have been variably willing, reluctant, or unwilling to make mandates; but regardless of where they land, they've been nearly universally unable to explain coherently what those mandates are for and what they could accomplish. Part of that is just the incredible science illiteracy, especially among our leaders.

Like, when the CDC initially told people in early 2020 "don't wear masks," the reason was because there was a severe mask shortage and they wanted to ensure that hospital workers didn't run out of masks. But that reason wasn't communicated! Probably in part because they feared if they told people "don't hoard masks, the hospitals need them" people would have hoarded the gently caress out of masks, it's a classic tragedy of the commons situation. Nevertheless, it created a horrific mixed message when, once mask manufacturing capacity shot up, and more studies and lab testing proved masks helped, suddenly it was "everyone should wear a mask."

Another thing that has happened is that, because we're incapable as a society of understanding nuance, a lot of statements have been dumbed down for public consumption and that has backfired horribly. So before a vaccine, when we were saying "wear a mask, it will keep you from transmitting covid or getting it, and also stay 6 feet apart," the nuanced thing to say would have been "doing this reduces the aggregate transmission rate to a level where we think our medical structures can cope, but does not actually eliminate transmission, and you can in fact catch covid from more than six feet away." Similar to the vaccines: in order to convince people of the necessity of the vaccine, the nuance that break-through infections were still possible got converted by an aggressive right-wing disinformation machine into "vaccines don't even work" because nuance is dead. Epedimiologists knew from the outset that a global viral pandemic would have multiple waves, and probably multiple mutation cycles too; but to avoid "muddying the message" and just try to rally people and get them to just believe the urgency, that nuance wasn't provided, it was just "we gotta slow this down now, so everyone have lockdowns and wear masks for a while, we can beat this!"

It goes on and on. Nuance about how well the vaccines might work against variants. Nuance about how the accelerated vaccine approval worked (by allowing parallelization of normally sequential steps, not by skipping the testing phases that establish safety). The nuance that the death rate isn't the only or maybe even the most important health metric, because covid survivors are suffering serious long-term and permanent effects in huge numbers.

Our failures of leadership were at least partly because they faced the impossible job of convincing 80%+ of a scientifically illiterate population to take steps that can't be reasonably justified without a nuanced understanding of the factors in place. But also in a large degree because many, perhaps most, of those leaders saw their own political careers jeopardized by the health measures they were obliged to force on people, and chose the path of savagely undermining the health measures instead, both rhetorically and through implemented policy.

So... yeah, you're right. The people in charge flailed: spent political capital trying to convince or force people to do the right thing, and then spent more political capital by reversing course, and then still more when the highly predictable and inevitable second and third waves hit. We do not elect smart brave people.

I completely agree. I just don't know what the way forward is.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The CDC only wanted to give out only info they 100% knew, because they were concerned if they said "we don't know yet" would cause a panic. Compared to places like Japan, that basically was upfront with it's citizens saying "we don't know the impact, but it's likely to be caused in areas with poor ventilation" whereas all we said at the beginning was "sanitize your hands and don't touch your eyes."

Also, it wouldn't have caused a panic if the CDC said they didn't know.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

seiferguy posted:

The CDC only wanted to give out only info they 100% knew, because they were concerned if they said "we don't know yet" would cause a panic. Compared to places like Japan, that basically was upfront with it's citizens saying "we don't know the impact, but it's likely to be caused in areas with poor ventilation" whereas all we said at the beginning was "sanitize your hands and don't touch your eyes."

Also, it wouldn't have caused a panic if the CDC said they didn't know.

I don't know that it would have though. Well, that's kind of wrong too I know for a fact that during trumps reign the media machine would have been hyping how incompetent Trump's cabinet is and how his leadership can't provide strong measures against the virus and if it was Biden they would have done the same. I don't know that it would have if it was reported without editorialisation and sensationalism running rampant.

I guess the solution is to purge every member of the mainstream press?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I completely agree. I just don't know what the way forward is.

The way forward is that we survive, more or less, and become more and more accustomed to a new norm, whatever that might be. There was a time when the black plague tore across europe and it permanently altered the social and political landscape. And then it did it again and again. Eventually, they developed some herd immunity, stopped living in flea-infested homes swarming with rats so much, had new religious awakenings, redrew the political lines of europe, and life went on, except for all the people for whom it ended in agony and misery, who they mourned, and then eventually mostly forgot. The psychic wound of the plague reverberated across centuries of european history, long after the bodies were all buried. Maybe also people were more eager to use soap.

I'm not a c-spam doomer. I think we're an incredibly resilient species. We'll make it, just, y'know, over a lot of dead bodies, like always.

e. oh, maybe you meant "the way forward" as far as reforming our politicians. I liked it when the seven SF Bay Area counties had mandates made and enforced by the county health officials: the mayors literally did not have the power to stop them, and they were among the first counties in the nation to start enforcing public health requirements like lockdowns. The CDC has proven to be less than ideally run, it surely needs to be reformed, but it also would really be great if we didn't presume that our politicians can be trusted to make critical decisions in a health emergency which they are totally unequipped to even understand.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 12, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The time has come. I’m going to play Mass Effect Andromeda

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://twitter.com/CVGairport/status/1491789592910991361?t=wSpd7AXKJtj9OgV8R-R3mw&s=19

Some of you need to explain yourselves...

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Every day we stray further from god’s light

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

The way forward is that we survive, more or less, and become more and more accustomed to a new norm, whatever that might be. There was a time when the black plague tore across europe and it permanently altered the social and political landscape. And then it did it again and again. Eventually, they developed some herd immunity, stopped living in flea-infested homes swarming with rats so much, had new religious awakenings, redrew the political lines of europe, and life went on, except for all the people for whom it ended in agony and misery, who they mourned, and then eventually mostly forgot. The psychic wound of the plague reverberated across centuries of european history, long after the bodies were all buried. Maybe also people were more eager to use soap.

I'm not a c-spam doomer. I think we're an incredibly resilient species. We'll make it, just, y'know, over a lot of dead bodies, like always.

e. oh, maybe you meant "the way forward" as far as reforming our politicians. I liked it when the seven SF Bay Area counties had mandates made and enforced by the county health officials: the mayors literally did not have the power to stop them, and they were among the first counties in the nation to start enforcing public health requirements like lockdowns. The CDC has proven to be less than ideally run, it surely needs to be reformed, but it also would really be great if we didn't presume that our politicians can be trusted to make critical decisions in a health emergency which they are totally unequipped to even understand.

Yeah I meant with "the machine" of it all in general tbh. I'll elaborate when I get home but I don't think greater power to overrule local govt is it tbh.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

General Dog posted:

FWIW, I enjoyed it when it came out. The main problem was the story couldn’t figure out whether they wanted you to be exploring new, unoccupied worlds or places that already had wars and poo poo going on, so it’s kinda mixed message and awkward delivery sorta thing, but it’s not nearly as bad as people tried to say it was IMO. The bigger problem is there’s obviously set ups at various points for DLC that never happened.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Yeah I meant with "the machine" of it all in general tbh. I'll elaborate when I get home but I don't think greater power to overrule local govt is it tbh.

Hmm. Yeah fair enough. I've a busy weekend so if I don't get back to you quickly, that's why.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

fartknocker posted:

FWIW, I enjoyed it when it came out. The main problem was the story couldn’t figure out whether they wanted you to be exploring new, unoccupied worlds or places that already had wars and poo poo going on, so it’s kinda mixed message and awkward delivery sorta thing, but it’s not nearly as bad as people tried to say it was IMO. The bigger problem is there’s obviously set ups at various points for DLC that never happened.

Or things like “we just arrived six months ago and already have beefs that stretch back 6+ years, don’t ask how”. I guess I’ll get to that in 3 years once I’m done with the ME re-masters that came out last year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The way forward is probably a combo of trying to better educate people at the school level. Part of that also requires raising the standard of living for the bottom 50% of society because getting a good education isn’t a high priority when you’re worried about your next meal.

The other option is authoritarianism like China where you just tell everyone what to think and dissent is not allowed.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fartknocker posted:

my biggest problem with the game is how it feels like they were desperately stretching for playtime. between the unskippable Tempest takeoff and landing cutscenes that feel 2x as long as they should be to the doors on that one planet where the door opening interaction was made artificially longer because you can mod them to be shorter with zero effect on load times, the mineral gathering and crafting system in general, the way they make you leave and come back to planets later so you don't just clear all of its content on the first pass though

its padded to gently caress.

also the last time i genuinely tried to give it a go it kept breaking during an open world quest and i just gave up

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

The way forward is probably a combo of trying to better educate people at the school level.

There is...unfortunate news here. That you're aware of I'm sure. Not specific to the pandemic or the current conversation but it will definitely get that way if some people have their way.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

the bottle of pepto is incredible, great job by whoever staged this photo

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Any fix to the problems availing the US or any other liberal democracy will have to be systemic, which means that they'll take more time than anyone with the power to implement such fixes cares to spend. That's not to say that we shouldn't improve society somewhat, but it's going to be an uphill climb.

Also in the US at least, a deep distrust of authority is a core part of our national identity, which makes it tough for any national-scale crisis to be addressed in a cohesive manner. We're less of a 21st-century nation state and more of a collection of territories with just enough shared government and cultural institutions to keep us from killing each other.

That's a super-tempting price but I've never been much of a turn-based strategy guy, someone try to sell me on this one.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

General Dog posted:

It won't be a bad time, but it will be a forgettable time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C-Euro posted:

That's a super-tempting price but I've never been much of a turn-based strategy guy, someone try to sell me on this one.

Oh man do you want to learn about true RNG? Like, where 95% means 95% and that 5% is going to happen? And you lose your favorite squaddies forever?

There's a reason :xcom: exists.

Also it's really good. Lots of building up your forces in an RPG type way to where they become unstoppable monsters but...possibly fallible ones. My pitch probably isn't changing your mind but you end up really invested and it's not the worst story about alien invasion in the world.