Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

He seems to have spent 2020 in Headquarters Battery, where it looks like his responsibilities almost entirely centred around covid measures

I have no idea what to think of that. Trying to enforce covid measures and contain its spread at the School made him snap under the burden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Koirhor posted:

really looking forward to seeing how this judge plans on enforcing his order

very carefully

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol I once saw an academic talk that went into how mixed race handled in Apartheid South Africa. Eventually they ended up throwing the kid into a playground with other kids deemed by the government to be the one race, then into a playground with kids deemed to be the other race. Whichever kids the kid got along better with, they'd decide that was the kids race forever.

South Africa would determine a kid's race by sticking a pencil in that kid's hair. If it fell out the child was deemed white. If it stayed in the child was deemed African or Coloured.

I am not making this up.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

but it’s not gonna be too different than the spanish flu and the world survived that.

I just wanted to come back to this. Is there any reason to think we are in the same spot as the end of the Spanish flu? My understanding is Omicron is veeery comfy where it is, and where it is seems to be infecting/crippling/killing a poo poo ton of people. Everything I read about the Spanish Flu was "and then a strain came around that was more infectious but less deadly so those that survived got immunity the end" which...are we there?

This, to me, seems less "omicron is going to burn out very soon and we'll be fine" and more "throwing up your hands and giving up".

Am I missing something?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Hand Knit posted:

South Africa would determine a kid's race by sticking a pencil in that kid's hair. If it fell out the child was deemed white. If it stayed in the child was deemed African or Coloured.

I am not making this up.

Yeah it was called the "pencil test".

The whole thing was a case study in the absuridities that result when a fascist regime starts trying to confront reality.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Am I missing something?

what exactly do you want to hear? you know as well as anyone that we're on year three of a pandemic, the scenario is unique in many ways, and we don't have a lot of data about the long term workings of the variants, we can draw parallels to previous pandemics based on perceived similarities in behaviour. nothing is certain. if this is driving you mad, i'm sorry, but we literally don't know.

you can choose to view what people in directly related medical fields say either positively or dismiss it as unfounded optimism, but that's a choice you have to make.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I found this article extremely interesting re: where we are, variants + mutation, and vaccines/boosters:

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/predicting-the-next-booster

the tl;dr is it isn't mutating like the flu in a predictable ladder-like pattern yet

my takeaway is i hate to say it but covid may throw us some crazy mutations still. or maybe it'll settle into a pattern soon and we'll be "ok". hard to say and the author isn't hazarding a prediction.

(edited to separate my opinion from my tl;dr of the article)

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 00:55 on Feb 12, 2022

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

infernal machines posted:

what exactly do you want to hear? you know as well as anyone that we're on year three of a pandemic, the scenario is unique in many ways, and we don't have a lot of data about the long term workings of the variants, we can draw parallels to previous pandemics based on perceived similarities in behaviour. nothing is certain. if this is driving you mad, i'm sorry, but we literally don't know.

you can choose to view what people in directly related medical fields say either positively or dismiss it as unfounded optimism, but that's a choice you have to make.

It's okay, friend. This isn't driving me nuts, I'm honestly just curious if I missed the "yeah, this is looking like it's near the end" train.
It's actually kind of fun, knowing this was coming (everything opening up like the States, never going back) and now being in it. Facing it. Thinking and wondering.
I mean you're absolutely correct. No idea what this is all going to do. No idea what tomorrow brings.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/CityAdrian/status/1492283189271961603

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVDH3MX4MYI

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

:sickos:

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Looking forward to seeing some police violence!

As if lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"democracy is messy"

it's certainly about to be

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Let this game of chicken involving cowards commence.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So what's the best case scenario here?

If they use their children as human shields, they're going to cling to any picture of police rightfully removing the children from their psychotic parents and use it to rile up the real nutters.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
personally, i do not want children to get hurt

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Dreylad posted:

same, i hope the chuds are not that craven

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Dreylad posted:

well so far the police are nowhere to be seen so you may have nothing to worry about! (unless you aren't white)

thunderspanks has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Feb 12, 2022

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:09 on Oct 29, 2022

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

reposting link to triple live-stream at the ambassador bridge border

https://twitch.tv/themayor_mccheese

nothing's happening, injunction took effect 15 minutes ago

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I assume *if* the police do anything it’ll be at 2AM or some poo poo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Koirhor posted:

I mean I assume *if* the police do anything it’ll be at 2AM or some poo poo

indeed, time to make some coffee

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dreylad posted:

Very much same, but i also do not want to normalize or reward using children to shield yourself from police while in commission of a crime.

There are people there with strollers standing in the middle of the street with cars driving by.

what the gently caress is wrong with people.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I just wanted to come back to this. Is there any reason to think we are in the same spot as the end of the Spanish flu? My understanding is Omicron is veeery comfy where it is, and where it is seems to be infecting/crippling/killing a poo poo ton of people. Everything I read about the Spanish Flu was "and then a strain came around that was more infectious but less deadly so those that survived got immunity the end" which...are we there?

This, to me, seems less "omicron is going to burn out very soon and we'll be fine" and more "throwing up your hands and giving up".

Am I missing something?

omicron lol thats old news. let me tell you about BA.2.........

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Am I missing something?

our usual cyclical flu season emerged from the Spanish flu epidemic. eventually enough people survive it that it has some amount of herd immunity mitigate it’s spread and combined with tracking and vaccination programs it becomes manageable, in that it hits us every year and people still die but it’s not burning through all of us as there is no immunity yet.

it’s not a good situation versus, like, preemptive tests, proper tracking and localized lockdowns, but we already normalized to endemic coronaviruses before. Omicron is hurting a lot of people, but that’s because it has literally the whole population available to infect. on a per capita basis it’s not that deadly or harmful the vast majority of the time, especially with vaccination, and a eventually it’s going to run of fresh tinder, i.e. vulnerable hosts, to spread to the degree it has, because even if the vaccines arent sterilizing 100% of the time, they do significantly cut down on infectivity, and combine that with broader immune protection there will be a point where it’s just something we acclimate to and deal with in cyclical upticks.

admittedly I’m not an epidemiologist but this is my understanding from what I’ve been reading throughout this whole thing. Omicrons severity is significantly lower than alpha and delta. The bet being made by a lot of business appears to be that it won’t be constantly sickening whole work crews enough to shut down work, and so far that seems to be the case. Anecdotally my exposure and sickness slowed me down for about a day then I bounced back pretty well. The sickest person in the household was sick and feverish for about 3/4 days and it was certainly unpleasant but about the level of a bad cold.

our real problem is if we continue to ignore our healthcare infrastructure, but frankly that was already a crisis before all this anyway.

It is frustrating and demoralizing to see the state we are left in, but again, things go on.

Ron Paul Atreides has issued a correction as of 01:38 on Feb 12, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Omicrons severity is significantly lower than alpha and delta

did you know that omicron has already mutated into a subspecies that is 2x more powerful and evades previous omicron immunity. there are studies showing that covid can mutate quite a bit more before it reaches genetic top tier

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

our usual cyclical flu season emerged from the Spanish flu epidemic. eventually enough people survive it that it has some amount of herd immunity mitigate it’s spread and combined with tracking and vaccination programs it becomes manageable, in that it hits us every year and people still die but it’s not burning through all of us as there is no immunity yet.

it’s not a good situation versus, like, preemptive tests, proper tracking and localized lockdowns, but we already normalized to endemic coronaviruses before. Omicron is hurting a lot of people, but that’s because it has literally the whole population available to infect. on a per capita basis it’s not that deadly or harmful the vast majority of the time, especially with vaccination, and a eventually it’s going to run of fresh tinder, i.e. vulnerable hosts, to spread to the degree it has, because even if the vaccines arent sterilizing 100% of the time, they do significantly cut down on infectivity, and combine that with broader immune protection there will be a point where it’s just something we acclimate to and deal with in cyclical upticks.

admittedly I’m not an epidemiologist but this is my understanding from what I’ve been reading throughout this whole thing. Omicrons severity is significantly lower than alpha and delta. The bet being made by a lot of business appears to be that it won’t be constantly sickening whole work crews enough to shut down work, and f
please post this in the covid thread tia

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

covid! it can do anything! wow!

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Hmmm, very interesting stuff, I like the way---

Rutibex posted:

did you know that omicron has already mutated into a subspecies that is 2x more powerful and evades previous omicron immunity. there are studies showing that covid can mutate quite a bit more before it reaches genetic top tier

GODDAMNIT

lol
lmao

To me, I still stand with Infernal: We just don't know what is going to happen next.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is a level beyond covid, i like to call it covid 2

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

these covids go to 11

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I somehow just remembered my cousin is a cop in Windsor. I hit him up but he has the weekend off, so I don’t have the inside track on anything there.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Rutibex posted:

I’ve seen the preliminary reports of the variant that is more infectious but I’ve seen nothing to suggest vaccine or immunity evasion like what existed between delta and omicron and no data on increased severity whatsoever. additionally, there is no such thing as top tier. evolution is not a progress track, it’s a recursive process of variation constrained by statistical probabilities. If is is a variant from omicron, whose spike protein is already very different and much more elaborate than delta, while antibodies may be less effective there is no reason still to conclude T-cells will lose effectiveness.

there is always a chance things can get worse. but that is neither a foregone conclusion nor necessarily the most likely outcome. in either case, our largely vaccinated population will not be the most likely incubation point for the next variant. It should be everyone’s mission to get vaccines to the rest of the world , which is a much bigger point of failure for the west then our own halfassed efforts at internal containment

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

these covids go to 11

so you're at omicron and it's like "where can you go?" that's right, nowhere. but with this...

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

onterrible indeed.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

infernal machines posted:

so you're at omicron and it's like "where can you go?" that's right, nowhere. but with this...

I wonder if they will actually name a variant Omega because that would absolutely start a loving panic over the name alone

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

are you ready for… THE OMEGA STRAIN

:catbert:

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Yeah uh I wouldn't worry that much about the vaccinated population in general, (though older and more vulnerable people are going to continue to die needlessly) after they finish the Omicron vaccine we'll be fully protected from Omicron and have a fairly high protection against Omicron 2, 3, and 4, at which point they'll probably have to make another new vaccine. These variants will probably have varying lethality, but will likely be significantly less dangerous to vaccinated people.

This will continue until the anti vaxxers are all dead. Hopefully sooner rather than later I guess, because that's the only way the pandemic ever actually ends.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

god yes. want everyone to be talking about the OMEGA VARIANT ive been waiting over a year for it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes.

once we run out of letters covid is done, it's science

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Yeah uh I wouldn't worry that much about the vaccinated population in general, (though older and more vulnerable people are going to continue to die needlessly) after they finish the Omicron vaccine we'll be fully protected from Omicron and have a fairly high protection against Omicron 2, 3, and 4, at which point they'll probably have to make another new vaccine. These variants will probably have varying lethality, but will likely be significantly less dangerous to vaccinated people.

This will continue until the anti vaxxers are all dead. Hopefully sooner rather than later I guess, because that's the only way the pandemic ever actually ends.

yeah. it’s a bad new normal, and innocent people will be hurt, but that’s nothing new. You can’t let it break you . Just gotta do what you can to not contribute to infecting people as best you can within the context. just normalizing the wearing of masks even without mandates would significantly help us cut down on transmissible viruses

Which makes these assholes even more annoying