Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

I've hit 50 on my Shadowhunter and throughout the leveling process there weren't very many wardrobe changes and now at 50 I think i'm stuck in this armor set that ill be honing to upgrade for a looong time. Is there just not a lot of armor sets for characters? Like is fashion not a big thing? In FFXIV and WoW I always loved having tons of different looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Hmm. Every time I try to login, it says US East servers are closed and none appear on the server selection.

e: in now, but Market seems to be down

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 12, 2022

Khorne
May 1, 2002

kliras posted:

was there, like, actual doubt internally about this?
Customer Service -> Interacts with customers, responds to issues, creates tickets with questions/observations

Operations -> Interacts with some customer service tickets that require escalation, knows or will find out what the hell is going on or they will escalate it to someone who can

Customer Service tends to not be technical and will only know what they see and what customers tell them. The sky was falling when the servers came back up and people had no characters from a customer service point of view. Operations checked and went 'no, they're there, but stuff is still broken'. At some level there's a person on both teams or at a manager/director level whose job it is to say "ok put out a message that says they're there and we're working to resolve the issue with logging into locked servers".

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 12, 2022

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

NLJP posted:

And the database and server stuff is the only bit Amazon is directly responsible for huh? Funny how that's the bit loving up.

I wonder if smilegate managed to get good failure to deliver adequate services clauses in their contract with Amazon.

I'm seriously confused as to how a launch can go so badly with a pre-existing game who has already run a few days with paid players.

What did they do?!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Zokari posted:

I wonder what they would have given us if they seriously deleted all characters...

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Evil_Greven posted:

Hmm. Every time I try to login, it says US East servers are closed and none appear on the server selection.

its hosed rn

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Deki posted:

I'm seriously confused as to how a launch can go so badly with a pre-existing game who has already run a few days with paid players.

What did they do?!

Tried to delete the millions of duped gold and founders stuff people were glitching probably. Economy is already ruined apparently for people who care about that lol

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Anytime some fuckup results in hours of downtime i just assume someone hosed up a database somehow. Someone hosed up an update statement that took a long time to execute and the only thing for it is to restore the whole thing from backup and rerun the corrected update and hope. The fact they immediately shut the servers down again is hilarious. That it was just something like absolutely no one could connect to the "locked for new character creation" servers is also hilarious. This whole afternoon has been pretty entertaining.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Tried to delete the millions of duped gold and founders stuff people were glitching probably. Economy is already ruined apparently for people who care about that lol
The dupe wasn't deliberate and only happened on EU. It was due to database timeouts and redeeming cash shop inventory. Players couldn't control it. Some people received 0 extra, some 1 extra, and very few more than that.

It mostly duped stuff in the founder chest or from twitch rewards. Not the crystals, not the character slot ticket. No gold. It could also dupe certain things from the cash shop probably, but no one has posted much publicly about that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's exactly what happened with New World. They had incredibly easy dupe glitches that people abused for several days before anything was done about them (the glitches, not the people who abused them). Then a few days later there was a new one, and a few days later a new one. The economy fell apart on literally every server, with every consumable/resource item duped into such obliviously high numbers that they became meaningless. Everyone who had spent their time doing non-combat stuff had effectively wasted all of that time.
Their major fuckup there was that the client was authoritative on literally everything - nothing was verified by the server lmao
(e: I didn't actually play it, this is just what I gleaned from reading reddit posts on the newworld sub around that time)

kaxman posted:

Anytime some fuckup results in hours of downtime i just assume someone hosed up a database somehow. Someone hosed up an update statement that took a long time to execute and the only thing for it is to restore the whole thing from backup and rerun the corrected update and hope. The fact they immediately shut the servers down again is hilarious. That it was just something like absolutely no one could connect to the "locked for new character creation" servers is also hilarious. This whole afternoon has been pretty entertaining.

The only way it can get better from here is if they don't fix it by tonight and they decide to give everyone the weekend off (except their customer service teams, naturally), so they announce a new launch date of Monday

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 12, 2022

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Khorne posted:

The dupe wasn't deliberate and only happened on EU. It was due to database timeouts. Players couldn't control it. Some people received 0 extra, some 1 extra, and very few more than that.

It only duped stuff in the founder chest or from twitch rewards. Not the crystals, not the character slot ticket. No gold.

Ah I didn't read too far into it, just saw a video from someone getting founders chests for multiple characters. I did read people got a couple years of whatever that paid boost thing is, which is pretty cool!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

That makes more sense.

Still, lmao at AGS for being 2 for 2 at loving up their games economies early

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I wonder when, if ever, MMO developers will figure out that tying characters to servers and not having 100% crossplay is absolute stage 4 cancer for your game. "Maybe you can play with your friends in a week when they've had 40+ hours of game time you don't come back later and see" is not conducive to me trying your game, free or not.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ah I didn't read too far into it, just saw a video from someone getting founders chests for multiple characters. I did read people got a couple years of whatever that paid boost thing is, which is pretty cool!
They're also going to make duped stuff disappear allegedly. Smilegate's approach to fixing this stuff is to straight up give the abusers negative currency. If you duped 50000 crystals and spent them all your account will have -50,000 crystals and effectively be trashed because it'd cost a fortune to buy enough to get to 0.

I think AGS is going with a softer approach because this was entirely their fault and mostly didn't dupe serious economy stuff. Unless people were planning on speculating on founders skins which some definitely were. I believe the extra founder rewards they announced today are partially to soften the blow, because it will devalue the founders skins slightly. It will also help people relocate.

EU has had a particularly rough release. Today's downtime hits them hardest and they were the region the dupe happened in. On east, I get into Una with no queue everyday outside of the first day to make characters. On EU, people with characters have a 40k+ queue and insane wait on some of the servers.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 12, 2022

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
MMO launches crashing and burning are some of the few things that bring me joy anymore. Even when it is a game I want to play, I can't help but laugh.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Massive update

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I said come in! posted:

This entire time I thought this was just a meme lol. Turns out it was real.

Wait this wasn't some meme that someone edited?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Rabid Snake posted:

Wait this wasn't some meme that someone edited?

yeah i just got in and can confirm tits are gone, sorry

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I got into mari, only one other server was on the screen

edgeman83 posted:

MMO launches crashing and burning are some of the few things that bring me joy anymore. Even when it is a game I want to play, I can't help but laugh.

can't say it much better, this is funny as hell

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I said come in! posted:

This entire time I thought this was just a meme lol. Turns out it was real.

Wait… Are you loving serious?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Wait… Are you loving serious?

Good Citizen posted:

yeah i just got in and can confirm tits are gone, sorry

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zokari posted:

I wonder what they would have given us if they seriously deleted all characters...
Ragnarok Online had a 3 day rollback near launch. A crazy number of people quit.

My character went from having gear & being in the 70s to having no gear and being level 30. It hit me ridiculously hard. The compensation was sweet and I played that game for far too many years after.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

fast cars loose anus posted:

I wonder when, if ever, MMO developers will figure out that tying characters to servers and not having 100% crossplay is absolute stage 4 cancer for your game. "Maybe you can play with your friends in a week when they've had 40+ hours of game time you don't come back later and see" is not conducive to me trying your game, free or not.

I think this is a bit of Blizzard game design philosophy that toxically stuck around the industry. Having players separated onto servers fosters "a sense of community" where you in theory get to know the names of 'famous' players on your server, or you have a good idea of what each guild on your server is like from interacting with them and getting to know them. A key part of selling WOW to everyone has always been selling the opportunity to get the hot new thing and show it off in front of all the plebs in Orgrimmar and when Orgrimmar is a random instanced selection of 200 people you've never seen before, that becomes meaningless.

But the way SaaS game design has developed it has catered more to whales and less to players - especially in mobile games but largely in PC/console MMO games as well, the 'players' are more of a resource that exists to make the whales want to spend money, to lord over the plebian players. That attitude is bleeding more and more from mobile games into AAA PC games (and also there's less pending/upcoming/already-passed regulation on using tricks of psychology and research into mechanics of addiction to encourage players to spend more on PC/console games than there is on mobile, where that's becoming a recognized thing).

Lost Ark is overloaded with the addictive FOMO P2W stuff - you get spammed with like six different versions of it as soon as you log in (daily login rewards, tons of currencies, a cash shop full of items to buy before the game was even released, encouraging rolling alts to gain a 'family level' type thing, etc) that are designed to addict people without them realizing they're becoming addicted, and it's already a game that clearly caters to the whales from a monetization standpoint.

But game devs are still stuck on the whole 'sense of community' thing as if they even still develop games that foster a sense of community in the first place - they see that Blizzard did it and they hear Blizzard talking about it in old interviews about what made WoW successful and they blindly throw it in their game because it's something they can check off of a list of "what players want in an MMO"

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Working for me on US west

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

It's up

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Well, Una is up :)

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
It's up for me. Gonna try Vykas as a new f2p player since people in the thread mentioned that earlier.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I wonder how many hardcore New World players haven't logged into that game today because they've been waiting for Lost Ark to come online so they can create a character. It seems like an efficient way for Amazon to hurt both games simultaneously.

The player count on Steam jumped from 250k to 500k in the last 10 minutes, so it looks like something has finally changed.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ultrachrist posted:

It's up for me. Gonna try Vykas as a new f2p player since people in the thread mentioned that earlier.

same on vykas

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Crystalline Aura gone, Product Inventory gone

Switch channels in game to get your stuff back

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 12, 2022

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Thank you whatever goon said play the game with voices in Korean. 100% better

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think this is a bit of Blizzard game design philosophy that toxically stuck around the industry. Having players separated onto servers fosters "a sense of community" where you in theory get to know the names of 'famous' players on your server, or you have a good idea of what each guild on your server is like from interacting with them and getting to know them. A key part of selling WOW to everyone has always been selling the opportunity to get the hot new thing and show it off in front of all the plebs in Orgrimmar and when Orgrimmar is a random instanced selection of 200 people you've never seen before, that becomes meaningless.

It also helps that its a lot easier to segregate players into servers that have their own databases and hardware rather than having one layered omni-server when it comes to designing the hardware/software backend for the game.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

these are listed as effects in my stronghold and i can research to get more of them but i don't know what they are. what are these.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

deep dish peat moss posted:

But the way SaaS game design has developed it has catered more to whales and less to players - especially in mobile games but largely in PC/console MMO games as well, the 'players' are more of a resource that exists to make the whales want to spend money, to lord over the plebian players. That attitude is bleeding more and more from mobile games into AAA PC games (and also there's less pending/upcoming/already-passed regulation on using tricks of psychology and research into mechanics of addiction to encourage players to spend more on PC/console games than there is on mobile, where that's becoming a recognized thing).

Lost Ark is overloaded with the addictive FOMO P2W stuff - you get spammed with like six different versions of it as soon as you log in (daily login rewards, tons of currencies, a cash shop full of items to buy before the game was even released, encouraging rolling alts to gain a 'family level' type thing, etc) that are designed to addict people without them realizing they're becoming addicted, and it's already a game that clearly caters to the whales from a monetization standpoint.

But game devs are still stuck on the whole 'sense of community' thing as if they even still develop games that foster a sense of community in the first place - they see that Blizzard did it and they hear Blizzard talking about it in old interviews about what made WoW successful and they blindly throw it in their game because it's something they can check off of a list of "what players want in an MMO"

In defense of Blizzard, back when WoW was being developed you absolutely, positively had to have servers due to technology limitations; the community stuff sprung up organically over time from the playerbase (and also to be fair to Blizzard, they were the ones who shoved forwards cross-server groups and PvP and dungeons when parts of the playerbase were going "but my community!").

The problem is nowadays those limitations aren't as pronounced and can be worked around and the community should organically develop over the whole player base the same way it did over a server (I enjoyed playing a dungeon with this fellow let me see if they have a guild etc)

e: also to add on and specific to my problem: There are also now already existing communities, like my wow guild that still talks and plays things together despite not having played wow collectively in a year; we need to be able to all play at once at launch of a game like this. Any new game these days needs to account for letting those pre-existing communities in.

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 12, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This whole some servers are locked thing is a bummer. Bunch of us have to choose between playing with friends or rerolling.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
What servers are us free to play plebs gravitating to? I joined the discord but didn't see any indication.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Vykas

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Good news for people who hate sensible female armor design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Internet Explorer posted:

This whole some servers are locked thing is a bummer. Bunch of us have to choose between playing with friends or rerolling.

You can still form parties and do dungeons and stuff with anyone from the same region, and can even make group chat type things.

It's just guilds and overworld stuff that's server-specific.