Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Sixto Lezcano posted:

The best part of MMOs is playing dress-up and you can't see that in first person.

Sea of Thieves, while not an MMO, bummed me out in this regard. Oh cool I got a new coat, guess I'll uh, do emotes so I can see it.
I think MMOs have the reverse problem now. You can spend all this time customizing face bones and hair highlights and poo poo and almost no one is going to notice your fashion choices because they're zoomed out a mile to see red circles on the battlefield.

It would be neat to see one MMO built from the ground up to be locked in first person. Maybe you could do an Overwatch thing where emoting or posing lets you see yourself in third person but if you start moving you snap back into first person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Or just have a character select screen and the occasional reflection in a mirror? How obsessed do you have to be to crave continuously seeing your own character

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Orange DeviI posted:

Or just have a character select screen and the occasional reflection in a mirror? How obsessed do you have to be to crave continuously seeing your own character

Yeah EQ was good about this. Back when I played the original game I didn't even know there was a third person view so I could see my character on the select screen.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm still in the early zones of Lost Ark, but it's interested instead of the usual amusement park type quest hub, all these quests keep pushing you forward on the map.

The quest givers are like, after you get my 3 bear asses, go deliver it to my cousin Steve in the next town, don't bring them back here.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

And every quest is like kill one mob, nothing is a rare drop

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

It’s a very frictionless leveling experience, Lost Ark

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Banned in the Netherlands

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Orange DeviI posted:

whenever my character is not on the screen, the other characters should be asking "where's the Warrior of Light and her great fashion sense"

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lost ark launched today and has been down for like 8 hours now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

queeb posted:

lost ark launched today and has been down for like 8 hours now

They deleted everyones characters lmao.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
they did not

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Against all odds, Amazon has managed to launch two MMOs in the space of a few months that have attained the 5th and 6th highest concurrent user counts on Steam ever. Kinda wild. Hopefully they can work out whatever they want New World to be in the long term and find a good content release cadence for Lost Ark.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
They aren’t making the content for lost ark so it will be fine

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I think MMOs have the reverse problem now. You can spend all this time customizing face bones and hair highlights and poo poo and almost no one is going to notice your fashion choices because they're zoomed out a mile to see red circles on the battlefield.

I dunno what you're talking about, fashion chat almost always happens in my ffxov roulettes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Anno posted:

Against all odds, Amazon has managed to launch two MMOs in the space of a few months that have attained the 5th and 6th highest concurrent user counts on Steam ever. Kinda wild. Hopefully they can work out whatever they want New World to be in the long term and find a good content release cadence for Lost Ark.

That's not too surprising given how heavily New World was advertised and pushed. It certainly isn't because it's of high quality, given its sharp decline

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I believe Lost Ark has about 8 years worth of content to translate over. So, against my better judgment, I don’t think Amazon can gently caress it up.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Ichabod Tane posted:

I believe Lost Ark has about 8 years worth of content to translate over. So, against my better judgment, I don’t think Amazon can gently caress it up.

Aren't the servers currently on fire?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

MH Knights posted:

I didn't have any issues playing on East Coast, maybe others are different.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Farg posted:

they did not

Okay not literally and the problem was fixed.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

MH Knights posted:

After the initial launch servers catch on fire phase.That’s like the free middle square in bingo

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

It will never cease to amaze me that people still don't know that any MMO launch is going to be a clusterfuck.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

GoGoGadget posted:

It will never cease to amaze me that people still don't know that any MMO launch is going to be a clusterfuck.

i booked my only day off this year for this insanely hyped game / expansion / content update and i demand compensation like i did the last 500 times this happened

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Ichabod Tane posted:

No, it's only like two. Lost Ark is still pretty new.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I haven’t tried it yet but from what I read it seems like Black Desert Online. Some fun stuff wrapped up with a pointless hollow world constantly asking you to buy more poo poo to alleviate its horrible grind. Is that true?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I haven’t tried it yet but from what I read it seems like Black Desert Online. Some fun stuff wrapped up with a pointless hollow world constantly asking you to buy more poo poo to alleviate its horrible grind. Is that true?

I finally tried it today and the vibe I got was a slower moving ARPG with emphasis on big moves and combos on huge crowds, rather than just spamming every attack until both your mouse and your hand break aka Diablo. It does remind me a bit of BDO in the sense that the world is just there to put large mob groups in it to mow down. There's a "story" but BDO has a "story" too.

The biggest thing that deflected me hard were the systems. Systems everywhere, overwhelming amounts of screen real estate and menus so layered that just finding your mount is literally Alt-V. Currencies and adventure tabs and skills, skill trees, armor, adventure journals, icons everywhere referring to limited currencies and rewards, some kind of other armor that isn't really, and that's just the tabs a brand new player sees in the first 15 minutes. Far more unlocks over time.

Systems are what finally pushed me out of WOW so I'm not sure how much tolerance I have for learning all this poo poo. I'm sure I can, I'm just not sure I want to.

Game looks and plays great though. I'm probably gonna casually toy with it and if I can get enjoyment out of it while simultaneously ignoring about 90% of all these systems, it'll be fun.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

SpaceDrake posted:

No, it's only like two. Lost Ark is still pretty new.

Oh poo poo

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Controller support in Lost Ark is in a very annoying place where it is almost adequate.

In combat, control support is fine, if a little prone to attacking in the wrong direction.

Any sort of dialogue, like getting a quest, quickly becomes an exercise in frustration. Making dialogue choices is implemented very poorly where you have to move the mouse curser over the options with the gamepad and it hasn't been registering button presses consistently.

More important for most people, it seems to have significant pay to win elements.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

LLSix posted:

More important for most people, it seems to have significant pay to win elements.

Nothing I saw in the cash shop looked particularly pay 2 win, unless I missed something.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I have seen people crying about the female costumes/armor being "censored" which is hilarious considering they are still fairly skimpy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There’s no censorship that I have noticed at least compared to the Russian version.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nothing I saw in the cash shop looked particularly pay 2 win, unless I missed something.

The game tries to hand new players a couple of free boosts of various types, which you can presumably buy more of with real money. The various starter packs all allow you to buy significant amounts of normal game money. There's also a very mobile freemium-esque secondary game currency in crystals.

We've all seen variations of these kinds of money sinks from mobile games over the years, so I admit I didn't feel a need to look deeply into the exact details.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 13, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

LLSix posted:

The game tries to hand you a couple of free boosts of various types, which you can presumably buy more of with real money. The various starter packs all allow you to buy significant amounts of normal game money. There's also a very mobile freemium-esque secondary game currency in crystals.

We've all seen variations of these kinds of money sinks from mobile games over the years, so I admit I didn't feel a need to look deeply into the exact details.

It's basically the same as every other F2P JMMO, there are time savers and economical advantages but other than that there aren't any strict damage upgrades, and you can get those boosts for the equivalent of a monthly sub in most other games.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
yeah it's not that bad on the mmo p2w scale. even the monthly crystalline aura benefits seem pretty minimal.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

I said come in! posted:

There’s no censorship that I have noticed at least compared to the Russian version.
I think the starter outfits are the only ones they changed? It was very noticeably the only thing my character has ever worn that covered both legs.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

You can be forgiven for thinking it's older, though, since its core rendering technology (UE3) first came out when I was in college. Fifteen years ago.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, and lord knows the game really makes the engine sing at points, but for a practiced hand at The Videogames it shows the engine's age in some ways.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It was also first shown off at GSTAR in like, 2014 so you might be thinking on it like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFkGfFR0Jrg

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sindai posted:

I think the starter outfits are the only ones they changed? It was very noticeably the only thing my character has ever worn that covered both legs.

Yeah, the only thing they changed was the starter outfits. Even then the OG outfits are still in game.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

It was also first shown off at GSTAR in like, 2014 so you might be thinking on it like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFkGfFR0Jrg

Yeah that's the other part of the history of the game, it was in development for like half a decade and then launched in the state it originally did in 2019, which became memetic, and then the team moved heaven and earth to get it into a state where it really took off in Korea. To be frank, prior to 2021, nobody really could have released Lost Ark in the Anglosphere without getting laughed off the internet.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

I finally tried it today and the vibe I got was a slower moving ARPG with emphasis on big moves and combos on huge crowds, rather than just spamming every attack until both your mouse and your hand break aka Diablo. It does remind me a bit of BDO in the sense that the world is just there to put large mob groups in it to mow down. There's a "story" but BDO has a "story" too.

The biggest thing that deflected me hard were the systems. Systems everywhere, overwhelming amounts of screen real estate and menus so layered that just finding your mount is literally Alt-V. Currencies and adventure tabs and skills, skill trees, armor, adventure journals, icons everywhere referring to limited currencies and rewards, some kind of other armor that isn't really, and that's just the tabs a brand new player sees in the first 15 minutes. Far more unlocks over time.

Systems are what finally pushed me out of WOW so I'm not sure how much tolerance I have for learning all this poo poo. I'm sure I can, I'm just not sure I want to.

Game looks and plays great though. I'm probably gonna casually toy with it and if I can get enjoyment out of it while simultaneously ignoring about 90% of all these systems, it'll be fun.

This. Coming from a year and a half balls deep in bdo, and burning out on all of it's bloated features. the "system" fatigue set in almost immediately with lost ark. Lots of collectables, reptative tasks and time sink fluff all perfectly crafted to give you the illusion of progression while doing the bare minimum gameplay wise.

The combat feels pretty slick. Mashing up 20 mobs at a time feels great. The combat feels so slick that it makes you really notice how lovely the Diablo style controls feel. It's probably a personal thing, but it felt like it would have been better served with twin stick style controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jimlit posted:

It's probably a personal thing, but it felt like it would have been better served with twin stick style controls.

this is true of almost every arpg lol. let me move on with keyboard and use skills with mouse already goddammit