Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The Seabee museum at Port Hueneme is surprisingly well done and promotes two main messages:

1) The Seabees have a long, proud, noble heritage, which occasionally involves running over Japanese troops with an armored War Bulldozer.
2) Seabees loot the everloving poo poo out of anywhere they go.

Seriously, about 1/3 of the items in the museum are stuff that Seabees brought home with them after deployments. Like a 6 foot long U-Boat model that some guy lifted from a Nazi shipyard, or Uday Hussein's gold-plated sniper rifle.

They shouldnt even be active duty. All reservists pulled from the biggest construction unions and relax all that fitness bullshit and zero firearm training. Just show up once a quarter, make some lovely temporary housing or cement pouring project then send them home again. Wait for a real war to activate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The Corps tried to grab the Seabees on multiple occasions and had it nixed due to NAVFAC being the repair team for trouble calls on installations. The community is such a small piece of the budget that this bullshit goes under the radar. It's just a works program that has inertia behind it for what is, unfortunately, on the whole a very bad collection of incapable, low quality human beings

Fun anecdote - if there's a Seabee and they can do a lot of push ups, sit ups, pull ups and run fast there's a 90% chance the Seabees weren't the intended destination

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Crab Dad posted:

They shouldnt even be active duty. All reservists pulled from the biggest construction unions and relax all that fitness bullshit and zero firearm training. Just show up once a quarter, make some lovely temporary housing or cement pouring project then send them home again. Wait for a real war to activate them.

Is there any attempt by Navy to pair civillian and reservist skillsets when applicable?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

piL posted:

Is there any attempt by Navy to pair civillian and reservist skillsets when applicable?

Yeah. I joined as an IT and my first command took a survey and found out I worked as an armed guard for loomis and they tried to send me to MA school so I could be internal security for the unit during drills. I was like uh guys I joined the Navy to get away from that kinda of work could you send me to system admin school instead?
"oh you'd prefer that?"

But yes they do collect what we do now and supposedly it's looked at for mobilizations But I've never heard of anyone being contacted for specifically their civilian skillsets. I'm a double dipper as I am an IT in the navy and in the civilian sector as a contractor too. I mean I specialize in printers on the NMCI network but it's still IT. Gonna lean on that hard when I want to mobilize next and see if I can get some exotic location that could use a printer tech onsite for a bit.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

I've never heard of anyone being contacted for specifically their civilian skillsets.

From what i remember when you fill out your CEI and poo poo they say they can't deploy or assign orders to anyone based on it so I don't actually know why we had to do that.

I got a text about the exam tomorrow and ignored it and haven't gotten a text back, however medical is very upset that I haven't given them proof of my flu vaccine action this year.

5 more weeks.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Interesting. Getting dragged into careers you're trying to avoid wasn't something I considered.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
You can't be involuntary mobilized based on your civ skills but you can apply for things outside of your rate based on appropriate civilian skill sets.

Supposedly.

That was the idea anyway. I never saw it happen in three years of cutting reservists orders.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

piL posted:

Interesting. Getting dragged into careers you're trying to avoid wasn't something I considered.

:psyduck:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Geizkragen posted:

You can't be involuntary mobilized based on your civ skills but you can apply for things outside of your rate based on appropriate civilian skill sets.

Supposedly.

That was the idea anyway. I never saw it happen in three years of cutting reservists orders.

Yeah I wasn’t forced but they made it sound like it would be great for my navy career. No.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

piL posted:

Used to be, SurgeMain was all about "if'n you wanna use civvy skills, we don't care your rate, c'mon in! we got jobs!" You could be a QM with electrician skills and get a EM billet. LS that runs a lathe in the real world? MR billet, GLHF. MA but hate harrassing people? We've got BM jobs and you can paint things and wrap insulation and be chill and spend seven weeks in Hawaii making Per Diem and never go to the reserve center.

Now that SurgeMain is the #1 program budget line item in USN(R), it's become an actual Navy Program and it's all about aDvAnCeMeNt and RaTe tRaInInG! and whatnot.

It's still better than nearly every Reserve program where you're attached to a commissioned unit, but it's not what it once was.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Boat's finally out of the water, it's not as badly hosed as I thought it'd be, it's still hosed though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

Boat's finally out of the water, it's not as badly hosed as I thought it'd be, it's still hosed though.

Ooh I’ll go take a look tomorrow!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

Ooh I’ll go take a look tomorrow!

Take picture of propeller blades and all electronics visible, comrade

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Sorry, I didn't really explain all of my thinking there before posting--obviously most of the Navy is built around pushing people into jobs that they probably don't want to do outside of the Navy and/or people join the Navy to exit their other careers. I was mainly thinking that it would make a lot of sense to align reserve billets with skills. A bunch of ITs who are into IT stuff outside, seabees and CEC that actually work in construction, etc--it would be cool if the Navy somehow tracked and rewarded those external skills somehow, though I'm sure bureaucratic obstacles were immovable.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Used to be, SurgeMain was all about "if'n you wanna use civvy skills, we don't care your rate, c'mon in! we got jobs!" You could be a QM with electrician skills and get a EM billet. LS that runs a lathe in the real world? MR billet, GLHF. MA but hate harrassing people? We've got BM jobs and you can paint things and wrap insulation and be chill and spend seven weeks in Hawaii making Per Diem and never go to the reserve center.

Now that SurgeMain is the #1 program budget line item in USN(R), it's become an actual Navy Program and it's all about aDvAnCeMeNt and RaTe tRaInInG! and whatnot.

It's still better than nearly every Reserve program where you're attached to a commissioned unit, but it's not what it once was.

Sounds like SurgeMain once attacked that possibility from the other side--rewarding people for their out-of-rate skills by expanding access to billets for people with out-of-rate skills, but sounds like that fell apart.

In other news:
https://news.usni.org/2022/02/09/cn..._eid=873b9e6d60

quote:

The Navy has 5,000 to 6,000 gaps for sailors at-sea billets, the service’s senior personnel officer told a House panel on Tuesday.

The Navy currently has 145,000 billets at sea, Chief of Naval Personnel Vice Adm. John Nowell said during a House Armed Services subcommittee on military personnel hearing. Following the fatal collisions of 2017, the Navy added 23,800 sea billets in an effort to buttress manning on surface ships. The service is in the midst of assigning sailors to the emerging positions but is falling short by 5,000 to 6,000, he said.

This feels a bit more honest than the company line a few years ago. I wonder though, is that shortfall of 5,000 or 6,000 short of required positions or funded positions? As GAO explained last year, Navy reports manning as a percentage of funded positions instead of required positions. I'm sure this makes sense from some accounting perspective, but in how full our ships are, it could be a underestimate of the seriousness of the problem.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is the increase in staffing at seal billets going to actual billets that are helpful at sea? Not to be rude to personnel or JAG or SKs but we really need a significant amount more in the engineering areas and high risk watch stations on the bridge. When I was on deployment topsiders talked about having duty days underway and it was mind boggling to me that a good portion of the ship only had one watch every few days.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

IncredibleIgloo posted:

a good portion of the ship only had one watch every few days.

I can't even imagine a scenario where this is true.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying this is so far removed from my experience I have no frame of reference.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The specific event that comes to my mind was when I needed my LES printed off for something and I had to bother the "Duty" personnelman whose job on the duty day was to print off people's LES that requested them from between 7 and 8 pm.

Another reference point is when I was in R-5 division on the sub tender it was *my* turn to be a useless loving topsider, and we did have duty days under way, and on our duty days all we had to do was the closeout tour of our space at 1700, a midnight tour of our space to make no one had gotten into the RAM and nothing was leaking, and open the space at 0600 the next morning. That was pretty sweet, except I was on loving shore duty and really did not like being underway on "shore duty".

Edit: Apologies to topsiders in this thread. You are not, in fact, loving useless.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The specific event that comes to my mind was when I needed my LES printed off for something and I had to bother the "Duty" personnelman whose job on the duty day was to print off people's LES that requested them from between 7 and 8 pm.

Another reference point is when I was in R-5 division on the sub tender it was *my* turn to be a useless loving topsider, and we did have duty days under way, and on our duty days all we had to do was the closeout tour of our space at 1700, a midnight tour of our space to make no one had gotten into the RAM and nothing was leaking, and open the space at 0600 the next morning. That was pretty sweet, except I was on loving shore duty and really did not like being underway on "shore duty".

Edit: Apologies to topsiders in this thread. You are not, in fact, loving useless.

I mean yea, admin kept ridiculous hours for no perceivable reason and it was bullshit.

Not all topsiders, lol.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Sub-tenders are a probably a fairly unique beast. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that duty days are a thing for some departments on the big decks and the carriers, but I'm pretty confident that most topsiders on most small boys aren't getting days off underway.

They did recently add chaplains to DDG crews underway, so not everyone added is a traditional watchstander and probably isn't doing a lot of maintenance.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is the increase in staffing at seal billets going to actual billets that are helpful at sea? Not to be rude to personnel or JAG or SKs but we really need a significant amount more in the engineering areas and high risk watch stations on the bridge. When I was on deployment topsiders talked about having duty days underway and it was mind boggling to me that a good portion of the ship only had one watch every few days.

Sorry, my mind just exploded. Duty sections underway? Watch rotation, sure. The only time I got a day off is the time on Deployment 2 where we did a rotating watch and once a month, you got a Sunday where you didn't actually have to be in to CDC.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
'duty' days at sea? what in the loving hell.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

piL posted:

Sub-tenders are a probably a fairly unique beast. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that duty days are a thing for some departments on the big decks and the carriers, but I'm pretty confident that most topsiders on most small boys aren't getting days off underway.

They did recently add chaplains to DDG crews underway, so not everyone added is a traditional watchstander and probably isn't doing a lot of maintenance.

As an IT nerd in the navy I was on port and starboard 7 days a week underway, and had to accomplish any maintenance and training outside of that time, so yeah about 16-20 hours a day, 7 days a week I was "gainfully employed". Pretty sure the engineers had less work hours than I did but their schedule sucked more since they got interrupted during their sleep time for drills or casualties, whereas unless it was General Quarters I didn't get woke up for poo poo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

As an IT nerd in the navy I was on port and starboard 7 days a week underway, and had to accomplish any maintenance and training outside of that time, so yeah about 16-20 hours a day, 7 days a week I was "gainfully employed". Pretty sure the engineers had less work hours than I did but their schedule sucked more since they got interrupted during their sleep time for drills or casualties, whereas unless it was General Quarters I didn't get woke up for poo poo.

You'd have to be crazy to volunteer for USS shipboard life. gently caress that poo poo.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
One of my E-5s casually mentioned to me today that he has had 10 weekends off since September of 2019.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cerekk posted:

One of my E-5s casually mentioned to me today that he has had 10 weekends off since September of 2019.

Must be nice, days off. Must be real nice.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

You'd have to be crazy to volunteer for USS shipboard life. gently caress that poo poo.

This. So much this.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Lol gently caress you if you're still in.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Sailors are dumb as hell most of of time.

Source: am a dumb as hell sailor.

Have the manning numbers on DDGs and CGs actually changed at all? It doesn't feel like it to me here on the east coast anyways.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Heads up I may be looking for another printer tech to work out of Whidbey island.

Pro: I’ll be your supervisor!
After initial training you’ll be working mostly a remote queue from home or the office whatever I don’t care. Perhaps one day a work in the field.

Con: I’ll be your supervisor!
Pay is 72kish and need a Sec+. Experience in HPSM or Remedy is huge but overall experience can be minimal. Will sponsor secret.

It’s not a huge pay but my other tech there found affordable housing and island life (lol) is chill.

We may also be looking for other remote workers but if you happen to live near a navy installion they may ask you to touch stuff from time to time.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Out of curiosity is a printer tech just a software related thing, like managing a print network so people can print out stuff they need, so you are updating drivers/firmware, managing ports, etc... or is it a printer tech like you need to know hardware stuff like how the anilox roller and doctor blade assembly work and all the inner workings of printers? Do the usual applicants have history in printers specifically, or is there a training program for this specific field, or is it the case that people with general sysadmin or computer science knowledge in general get assigned the task and most of the specific training is the OJT sort? I don't mean to waste your time as I won't be applying, but I find the position to be interesting and I would like to know more.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crab Dad posted:

Heads up I may be looking for another printer tech to work out of Whidbey island.

Pro: I’ll be your supervisor!
After initial training you’ll be working mostly a remote queue from home or the office whatever I don’t care. Perhaps one day a work in the field.

Con: I’ll be your supervisor!
Pay is 72kish and need a Sec+. Experience in HPSM or Remedy is huge but overall experience can be minimal. Will sponsor secret.

It’s not a huge pay but my other tech there found affordable housing and island life (lol) is chill.

We may also be looking for other remote workers but if you happen to live near a navy installion they may ask you to touch stuff from time to time.

I have a clearance and I’m right off the Norfolk base and even near Little Creek too but I have no experience and have no idea what those words were. Am I considerable? :shobon:

I can definitely hit a computer with a wrench if that helps.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Out of curiosity is a printer tech just a software related thing, like managing a print network so people can print out stuff they need, so you are updating drivers/firmware, managing ports, etc... or is it a printer tech like you need to know hardware stuff like how the anilox roller and doctor blade assembly work and all the inner workings of printers? Do the usual applicants have history in printers specifically, or is there a training program for this specific field, or is it the case that people with general sysadmin or computer science knowledge in general get assigned the task and most of the specific training is the OJT sort? I don't mean to waste your time as I won't be applying, but I find the position to be interesting and I would like to know more.

This is an excellent question and I'll take the time to answer it because I'm gonna copy and paste it when I need to explain the role in the future.
As a printer tech on the NMCI network we are responsible for installing new devices first and foremost. The printer is delivered by DLS onto the base and unpacked by them. We then show up, check the port and install the IP4 settings and sometimes upgrade the firmware. This is 50% of my job. We also have to spend a good chunk of time updating tickets for tracking purposes. DLS is in charge of dragging away old equipment too.

They have us training up on HP and Xerox to get qualified as OEM techs but honestly if something is super broke it's cheaper and faster to have a whole new printer sent out and replace the busted unit. Currently we are not responsible for true tech repairs but we identify issues for warranty work. Once a printer is on the network we also set it up for scanning. There's a lot of troubleshooting with various security settings every time a new style of printer or update to the network happens but usually a remote team will take care of the issue once it's identified.

Finally once the printer is online we are free of it. It's no longer ours to maintain or work on. Gov expects a printer to last roughly 3 years before it's replaced and generally they dont truly break before then. However if the network switch loses power (because UPS were not considered essential and ton of batteries are dead(this is changing)) and the printer stops working we go and identify what the issue is and contact the network team to correct the entry. Frequently VLAN settings get dropped and port security gets goobered up. Sometimes a printer will poo poo the bed and drop all it's IP4 settings and we will update those too. We dont fix jams and we dont change toner.

We also do initial setup of VTC's. However we have a remote team for the setting. We just do connectivity.
We also have a small but growing "premier" service of leasing printers with full service agreement. Everything but changing paper. Usually its for VIP settings only.

Most of our techs were NMCI Field Service Technicians with a heavy emphasis on PC repair and security software maintenance. However we have been asked to stop poaching from the NMCI FST pool for the time being. An understanding of how a network works is useful too. OJT is super important because the ticketing system is so byzantine. We pay more and get something you'll never get as a NMCI FST, regular (small) raises. My background is ATM repair and cat herding. I wasnt hired for my computer tech skills.

The position I'm looking to fill will be 90% remote working on tickets and talking sailors through the initial process. We would like to find someone who would like to live near Whidbey to get some OJT there and backup our only tech there from time to time. It's actually fairly low stress job overall because people tend to be very happy to see us because historically printers took forever to get a tech to work on since nobody likes an unholy union of mechanical and software.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Before I enlisted, i was working at a kinkos on the graveyard shift. My recruiter told me “you know, we have printers and copiers in the navy. We could get you a job working on those.” I always thought he was just blowing smoke up my rear end.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Proust Malone posted:

Before I enlisted, i was working at a kinkos on the graveyard shift. My recruiter told me “you know, we have printers and copiers in the navy. We could get you a job working on those.” I always thought he was just blowing smoke up my rear end.

My next mob I’m certainly going to use the experience to try to get on a flag ship as long as they stay USNS.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Once my old man kicks it, whenever his old rear end does, if you're still somehow hiring printer techs I'll sell everything and move to the PNW and do printer poo poo, as long as I can support myself on 40 a week. Wanted to move back there anyways after spending a month on the Trident base when I was in TPU.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Once my old man kicks it, whenever his old rear end does, if you're still somehow hiring printer techs I'll sell everything and move to the PNW and do printer poo poo, as long as I can support myself on 40 a week. Wanted to move back there anyways after spending a month on the Trident base when I was in TPU.

I have no idea what the future holds for me but I’ll probably be here for a couple more years. Just decorated my office and don’t want to take it all down.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I just got reminded of the times I was in Guam when we had chocolate milk in the milk cooler, so the cooks prepared the biscuits 'n gravy and Alfredo sauce with water instead of milk. While I was on duty and had no other food options.

78 days until terminal.

E: I've never been served a meal of A: egg noodles and cauliflower and nothing else, or B: a single small-size scoop of dehy eggs for 50ish meals in a row, so this boat still wins over my old one in the food department.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 13, 2022

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Crab Dad posted:

:pray: Crabdad and whomever works with crabdad, please keep help our printers alive, the chaos whenever one goes down, the chaos.....

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

:pray: Crabdad and whomever works with crabdad, please keep help our printers alive, the chaos whenever one goes down, the chaos.....

Yeah sorry we just hook up new ones on the standard contract. For repair you got to get tier one leases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
As someone working on his Sec+ and living near a Navy base (I currently work Sims on Mayport) I'm super interested in hearing about the remote spots in other places bit when it comes around.