Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

<Runs breathlessly into thread>

My dood have you heard of the Emergents TCG?!?

It's got hall of famers BDM, PVDDR, and Zvi Mowshovits behind it!

Hahaha what stupid fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Reid Duke is playing 3x Behold in his draft deck and is like, i would play 2-3 more lol

I had 2x in the deck I trophied with, and yeah, I agree. I would have wanted more for sure. The card is BUSTO in limited.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 11, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Human Crouton posted:

Or they could have just kept historic what it originally was: each of the standard sets since the introduction of Arena without adding any outside cards or alchemy nonsense.

It probably would have been a decent format by now had they just done nothing.

I KNOW ugh

i haven't even played historic once since the switch and i used to love it

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Historic is still mostly the same to actually play though it's just your perception of it has changed.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
That’s not the only thing that has changed, there have literally been changes

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Whipped rear end this afternoon at prerelease.

Easy 3-0 with my promo card being Wandering Emperor. Played Orzhov removal with a few creatures. Best showing I ever had for a limited event

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

historic ranked is mostly free of hearthstone cards now especially after inquisitor captain got soft-banned nerfed. I'm trying to think of one that I see most often, I guess it's static discharge? which is one of the least offensive of the lot

I enjoy playing historic right now even though the meta had mostly coalesced around gb food and the various wur decks right before neo came out. but maybe the new set will shake things up for a bit

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eej posted:

Historic is still mostly the same to actually play though it's just your perception of it has changed.

i only had like two really good decks and they both got hit by nerfs so not actually

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Went 1-1-1 with Azorius Pilots, with the draw coming because I ended overtime with exactly one life left

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Whipped rear end this afternoon at prerelease.

Easy 3-0 with my promo card being Wandering Emperor. Played Orzhov removal with a few creatures. Best showing I ever had for a limited event

I ended up 1-2. Went with Golgari with the tiniest red splash since my promo card was the Kiki-Jiki saga. When it popped off it stomped, the 1G Kami that gets +1 per enchantment goes great with the Frog ninja. Kiki gave me the flexibility to either copy am enchantment to trigger creature growth or the black ETB to keep my opponent on their back heel. But I didn't have the draw to make it consistent enough to land the 2nd game.

Walked with three packs that had a Tezzeret and a Bosejiu so I think it worked pretty well overall.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I also had my best prerelease showing; went 3-0 running green-white enchantments. Had Ao, the Dawn Sky as my top end finisher. Every single game was stressful because most of my opponents ran aggro, so I always had to stabilize and usually ended up winning while I was at 5 life or less.

Except the final game. The very last game of our last round, I drew a perfect hand, played a Kami of Transience on turn 2, and then played sagas and buffing auras to make it swing for huge damage by turn four. Opponent conceded on 5 when he couldn’t do anything about the 8/10 trampler.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The voltron vehile is very very good if you have a critical mass of artifacts. I won every time I played it and would have won every time I drew it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I tried that when it was my P1P1 and proceeded to go 2-3 and never drew it even once lol

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I went 3-0 playing GRw modify with a pretty sweet pool of synergistic rares: Kodama, Thundering Raiju, Risona Asari Commander, Kyodai, Sokenzan.

Some thoughts on the set:

Refreshing Hot Springs is loving nuts. I had a lot of games where I went hot springs into Kodama and just loving wrecked people.

Sagas are so slow, and feel so bad if you're behind at all. At least they pretty much always flip, there is so little enchantment destruction

I thought the 7/7 Trample Haste Crew 2 vehicle would be good but actually it was terrible. Even in sealed the game is usually too fast.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really wish I could use draft tokens for sealed instead, I have a bunch of them. I hate having to wait for slow as poo poo people who auto-select everything or some poo poo. Feels like it takes over a half hour just to draft. I like just getting the six packs and mashing something together from that, quick and easy. Can't wait for neo quick draft.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Went 2-1 in prerelease in what was actually my person in person play ever. In theory it was a mediocre blue-red artifacts deck and that honestly worked well enough to stall for more draws but all my wins were more from functionally acting like a red modified deck with thundering raiju and or functionally being a blue flyers/vehicles/flying vehicles deck, depending on the exact draws.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
fair warning, if you're using The Reality Chip on Arena, the auto tapper WILL gently caress you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah the auto tapper seems especially bad this time around and not just for the reality chip. I've kept my eye on my lands luckily but I've had to manually cast at least four things since the set dropped because it kept wanting to auto tap in such a way to prevent me from being able to keep mana up for counters, instants, etc

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I stunk it up in prerelease running red/blue artifacts , 1st match i won first game, he won second, time expired so we flipped and i lost. 2nd match got swept, 3rd match got wrecked by mana flooding. where i couldn't hit for the last 5 life. not sure if red/blue has any enchantment removal but i didn't get any (i got 2 counterspells though) so i got really hurt by the 2-3 different white cards that exiles your creature until the enchantment leaves the battlefield kinda thing.

still really bad on rules. i should probably play on arena to play better. :| like in the 3rd match we couldn't figure out if reconfigure goes on the stack or not and then i also made a mistake thinking my opponent couldn't sac that artifact equipment that lets you tap to deal 3 damage to any target. i thought blocking and tapping then i realized my mistake was i was still thinking about damage on the stack.

anyways. set seems interesting. will probably play a few more drafts.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

The autotapper for the black shrine will also blow up your own creatures without prompting if you accidentally autopay and your opponent has no creatures.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I love the speed bunny. she's frickin farnst

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What the vibe on this draft format, do people like it?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Grabbed a set box at the prerelease, and as beautiful as the lands are, getting one in a pack in the potential bonus rare slot kind of sucks.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Lets Pickle posted:

Sagas are so slow, and feel so bad if you're behind at all. At least they pretty much always flip, there is so little enchantment destruction

For sure. Sagas ruled in my games, but that’s because my deck was built to be slow and take advantage of enchantments. First game of my final round took nearly forty minutes, lol. Sagas were great for me when it came to breaking stalemates, ESPECIALLY Befriending the Moths as, whoops, suddenly my biggest dude can fly, goodbye.

Also great? Go-Shintai of Shared Purpose. Let me fart out a dork every turn to chump block. Or in the case of my first game, be the only creatures left once my opponent Farewells everything but creatures (he had one good creatures on the board, all my poo poo were enchantment creatures), and have exactly enough Spirits from the shrine to break through for lethal.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Eight-Six posted:

The autotapper for the black shrine will also blow up your own creatures without prompting if you accidentally autopay and your opponent has no creatures.

This has nothing to do with autotapper though?

The “may” part of this ability is choosing to pay the mana. Once you’ve paid the mana, you must choose a valid target if there is one, even if it’s your own creature.

Don’t choose to pay costs for abilities you don’t want to activate…

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

fadam posted:

Feels solid right out of the gate. Power level is good, lots of interesting interactions, decision lines for games with lots of variability. Remains to be seen if it has legs to keep things feeling fresh the whole season but so far pretty good.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Black red hyperaggro is a trap; Boros fake exalted decks, when they go off, loving GO OFF; behold the unspeakable is a slam dunk first pick if there isn't a bomb rare in the pack

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

UW artifacts is maybe my favorite draft archetype so far. Not as strong as GW enchantments, but if you can get a couple of the signpost uncommons or Anchor to Reality things get really bonkers really fast.

Even when that plan doesn't work out seems like every other archetype struggles to deal with flyers, so you can grind out wins that way.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
GW Enchantments seems always open for me, I wonder if people are just not picking up that the sagas are perfectly fine to great

Mat Cauthon posted:

Even when that plan doesn't work out seems like every other archetype struggles to deal with flyers, so you can grind out wins that way.

That 3/3 for 2 with reach and defender has been crucial for me because yeah dealing with flyers always seems tough

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My enjoyment of this limited format is going to be defined by how often I lose to Behold the Unspeakable or turn 2 Roaring Earth and so far it's not going my way. I really don't like mythic-level uncommons.

Agreed on the autotapper being horrible for this set. I had the flier that can clone an artifact for 1U, and played a 3/2 artifact creature with lifelink for 3B... and it tapped all my Islands for some reason and left me one Swamp and one Plains. Because I had a spell that cost 1B in my hand.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

My enjoyment of this limited format is going to be defined by how often I lose

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

My enjoyment of this limited format is going to be defined by how often I lose to Behold the Unspeakable or turn 2 Roaring Earth and so far it's not going my way. I really don't like mythic-level uncommons.

Agreed on the autotapper being horrible for this set. I had the flier that can clone an artifact for 1U, and played a 3/2 artifact creature with lifelink for 3B... and it tapped all my Islands for some reason and left me one Swamp and one Plains. Because I had a spell that cost 1B in my hand.

Roaring earth honestly felt pretty medium in my ug deck, but I wasn't doing a modified archetype so maybe that was it

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Kashuno posted:

GW Enchantments seems always open for me, I wonder if people are just not picking up that the sagas are perfectly fine to great

That 3/3 for 2 with reach and defender has been crucial for me because yeah dealing with flyers always seems tough

especially since this is the first set with a common Phantom Monster With An Upside

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Grabbed a set box at the prerelease, and as beautiful as the lands are, getting one in a pack in the potential bonus rare slot kind of sucks.

I'm returning to mtg and never engaged with prerelease. I was under the impression you can't buy sealed product until next week?

Neth
Jan 12, 2022

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm returning to mtg and never engaged with prerelease. I was under the impression you can't buy sealed product until next week?
Stores are allocated a number of draft and set (and sometimes collector, they're WPN Premium) booster boxes that they can sell during prerelease (Source).

Welcome back to the hobby!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Me: boy I really hope I get a Boseiju, Who Endures in this booster b…

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Don't get my hopes up don't get my hopes up don't

I'll buy a box when it's not being sold for like a 20% markup. :|

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Neth posted:

Stores are allocated a number of draft and set (and sometimes collector, they're WPN Premium) booster boxes that they can sell during prerelease (Source).

Welcome back to the hobby!

Just ran out and bought a box, thanks thread!

Is dawnglare visualizer the best thing to keep open to identify jackpots?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I use the TCGplayer app, it has a collection feature to scan the card with your phones camera and add it to a running list with current market price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

fadam posted:

Really bad. I'd say maybe the worst in recent memory but AFR exists. There's barely any removal (and the stuff that is there is conditional or soft removal) and most creatures are poorly statted. There's relatively few evasive creatures at common or even uncommon (because they'd be too good with ninjitsu), and even fewer ways of dealing with them (there are four cards with reach at common, for instance, and maybe two of them are actually playable, and other flying creatures have statlines bad enough that you're usually chumping if they've even put a single +1/+1 counter on their attacker). On the contrary, the power level of most rares and mythics is stupid high, so every game I played ended up being 'who can draw and resolve their unbeatable bomb first' (as far as I'm concerned, all 5 of the mythic dragons read 'win the game instantly'). Not fun.

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 13, 2022