Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dick was just too pure for this world. A true victim of the Met Police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm gonna go attack the big drifts of cardboard in my garage and try and condense it all into one smaller cardboard box to bring to the recycling. Might do some DIY then. All round better use of a Saturday than fretting about empty political manoeuvring in Eastern Europe

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

We've sort of inadvertently made it seem like the US's allies might be engaging in any kind of police reform at all, so naturally the US media has to come out swinging.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm gonna go attack the big drifts of cardboard in my garage and try and condense it all into one smaller cardboard box to bring to the recycling. Might do some DIY then. All round better use of a Saturday than fretting about empty political manoeuvring in Eastern Europe

my house has one of the normal size bins for recycling for 6 people, collected every two weeks. Trying to put more than one broken down cardboard box into it per week causes an epic overflow of trash into the streets.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Handled the murder of Jean Charles de Menezes with dignity and grace wtf

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/andrewfeinstein/status/1492240395803242498

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

big scary monsters posted:

Dick was just too pure for this world. A true victim of the Met Police.

🥹 uwu smol bean MI6 asset 💕

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
99 Perecent Invisible had an episode about Japanese flags from the war and returning them to decedents. Someone at the university probably listened to it...
https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/flag-days-good-luck-true-south/
Bonus, it's not behind a Murdoch paywall.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

suck my woke dick posted:

speaking of weak performative bullshit

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/durham-university-returns-wartime-flags-to-japan-in-decolonisation-drive-dq62qp07l

the university claims this is part of decolonialisation. If you read into it it's sending a family memento to some next of kin which is fair enough but Durham instead claim it's somehow decolonialisation.

Hell no it's not decolonialisation, Japan was just a loving awful wannabe-empire trying to displace a slightly less awful but still terrible existing empire, and the end result of Britain fighting Japan in the Pacific was a contribution to weakening empires all around. The idea of "decolonialise the university by returning imperial Japanese war trophies" should be answered by "lol no we shot some bad guys and took souvenirs, die mad about it"

This is pretty funny because Durham University has a huge collection of historic Asian cultural artefacts literally plundered by a colonial governor, but they don't seem to be thinking of giving them back?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_University_Oriental_Museum

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Prole posted:

🥹 uwu smol bean MI6 asset 💕

unapologetically me*

*i'm an rear end in a top hat

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Chubby Henparty posted:

The BBC has a list of poo poo things she has done.

quote:

A subsequent trial found the Met Police guilty of endangering the public, but exonerated then-Commander Dick. She later described the killing as "an awful time".

"I think about it quite often. I wish, wish, wish it hadn't happened, of course, but if anything it has made me a better leader, a better police officer and it has made me more resilient."

At the trial she had told prosecution counsel that she "does not get anxious - I don't have anxiety".

Maybe she should have anxiety about shooting innocent people in the face 7 times.

A guy was murdered but it also made her a better leader, so it's impossible to tell if it's good or bad.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe Jean Charles de Menezes simply didn’t appreciate what an absolute #girlboss was ordering him to be shot in the head seven times.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
sack my joke Dick

Mebh
May 10, 2010

REALLY good summary on Ukraine and how we got here https://youtu.be/obMTYs30E9A

Follow on video I'm just going to watch on "what now?" that he just posted too.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it is interesting seeing the contorsions by identity politics minded journos trying to square how a gay woman can be evil / incompetent

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

it is interesting seeing the contorsions by identity politics minded journos trying to square how a gay woman can be evil / incompetent

yeah US liberals really are the stereotype of people obsessed with oppression olympics instead of doing anything substantial. it's just that conservative commentators get it wrong by saying US liberals are too left instead of too self obsessed.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Mebh posted:

I prefer sock puppet accounts

https://youtu.be/Z9c_HhpvBpg

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chubby Henparty posted:

Always pleased to be murdered with dignity & grace

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Always pleased to be murdered with dignity & grace

we thank george floyd for his sacrifice & remember him by throwing some more money into the bottomless pit that is cops

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Mebh posted:

like the bellingcat shoutout, and he seems a wee bit bias against the eastern ukrainians imo

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

suck my woke dick posted:

speaking of weak performative bullshit

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/durham-university-returns-wartime-flags-to-japan-in-decolonisation-drive-dq62qp07l

the university claims this is part of decolonialisation. If you read into it it's sending a family memento to some next of kin which is fair enough but Durham instead claim it's somehow decolonialisation.

Hell no it's not decolonialisation, Japan was just a loving awful wannabe-empire trying to displace a slightly less awful but still terrible existing empire, and the end result of Britain fighting Japan in the Pacific was a contribution to weakening empires all around. The idea of "decolonialise the university by returning imperial Japanese war trophies" should be answered by "lol no we shot some bad guys and took souvenirs, die mad about it"

Lmao, it's actually extremely problematic that we still have captured swastika flags in our museums, in order to be truly woke we must return these to the descendents of their original owners.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Lmao, it's actually extremely problematic that we still have captured swastika flags in our museums, in order to be truly woke we must return these to the descendents of their original owners.

Minnesota got it right - https://www.twincities.com/2017/08/20/minnesota-has-a-confederate-symbol-and-it-is-going-to-keep-it/

'You want it, come and take it back, we shot you last time we'll do it again'.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
fun american tale in the 28th virginia battle flat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/28th_Virginia_battle_flag

union soldiers captured this from the confederates from the war and virginian chuds keep asking for it back and minnesota is like "lol no we won it from you"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

feedmegin posted:

Minnesota got it right - https://www.twincities.com/2017/08/20/minnesota-has-a-confederate-symbol-and-it-is-going-to-keep-it/

'You want it, come and take it back, we shot you last time we'll do it again'.

gently caress u

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wouldn't be so sure (and I can guarantee NATO commanders aren't so sure) about that. NATO hasn't fought a war without undisputed air supremacy... ever, really

To be a little bit pedantic, the Korean War, the brave Soviet aviators of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64th_Fighter_Aviation_Corps and their comrades in the Chinese People's Army's Air Force would like a word, here.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This is a terrific article about Uber

https://pluralistic.net/2022/02/11/bezzlers-gonna-bezzle/

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I can't imagine a war in Ukraine would be very popular in Russia tbh, people still remember them being united in the Soviet Union and there's so many cross border family connections etc. I guess that didn't stop them annexing crimea though

The eastern bit of Ukraine is full of Russian speakers who largely consider themselves Russian - this was a Whole Thing politically in Ukraine before the Crimea thing, basically you had the 'Ukrainians party' and the 'Russians party' in elections. Annexing eastern Ukraine is easy to paint domestically as liberating Russians from Ukrainian domination. Some of the locals might well even agree.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah, it's crazy to me how 'ethnicity' means so much in the former USSR. I knew a guy from Kazakhstan who insisted he was Russian because his grandparents had moved their from Russia in the Soviet times and his parents never left before independence. You'd think the whole project to build the Soviet citizen would have created a new shared identity but apparently not. I guess you were always going to reinforce those perceived divisions with the Soviet approach to constituent 'nationalities'

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bump_fn posted:

fun american tale in the 28th virginia battle flat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/28th_Virginia_battle_flag

union soldiers captured this from the confederates from the war and virginian chuds keep asking for it back and minnesota is like "lol no we won it from you"

"a request by the governor of Virginia to borrow the flag in 2013 was also declined"

yeah, probably a good idea Minnesota. "we only want to 'borrow' it, we will absolutely return it after pinkyswear".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, it's crazy to me how 'ethnicity' means so much in the former USSR. I knew a guy from Kazakhstan who insisted he was Russian because his grandparents had moved their from Russia in the Soviet times and his parents never left before independence. You'd think the whole project to build the Soviet citizen would have created a new shared identity but apparently not. I guess you were always going to reinforce those perceived divisions with the Soviet approach to constituent 'nationalities'

Pretty analogous to the US weird schizophrenia around ethnicity and identity. Really those guys have so much in common, its a shame they can't come together

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s so impossible for me to comprehend how many jews were murdered across the east, most of them out in the countryside not in the camps like the movies portray. like whole towns of thousands of people emptied out and gone, and quite a lot killed by jealous antisemitic locals not just german nazis themselves

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I just don't get it, if my grandparents had moved to France from Britain and I was born in France and raised in France and spoke French, I'd be French, perhaps with British heritage, but definitely French. This doesn't seem very controversial to me, but would apparently be incomprehensible to lots of people, who seem to think that there's some permanent immutable distinction between 'nationality' tied to blood. Bizarre take.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've always wondered how they deal with houses built after 1991 (or indeed HMOs, or conversions)? I assume there's some bloke kept in a cupboard somewhere cut off from all outside contact since Nevermind came out, and every once in a while they open it up and go "Right, two bedroom flat, 10th floor, just off the Old Kent Road" and he goes "Hmm... 65k?". I wonder what kind of image of the world he's built up as he wonders why people keep asking him to value 50th floor flats in Battersea or 10 square metre bedsits in Manchester.

Having done some work on systems used for council tax valuations, this is more or less what happens when the VOA does the valuations - they need to pretend the entire area is as it was in the early 90s, including as if it was still industrial wasteland, or as if en-suite bathrooms are an impossible luxury afforded only to the rich.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Well, there it is

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1492475145935630351?t=rgc0h07mGS9-YML03C9pbw&s=19

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I just don't get it, if my grandparents had moved to France from Britain and I was born in France and raised in France and spoke French, I'd be French, perhaps with British heritage, but definitely French. This doesn't seem very controversial to me, but would apparently be incomprehensible to lots of people, who seem to think that there's some permanent immutable distinction between 'nationality' tied to blood. Bizarre take.

Well, in the specific case we're talking about here, it's like you were raised in France and spoke English and mostly spoke to other people raised to speak English and spent your time down the local greasy spoon pounding soss and mash and bitching about the locals.

So I guess basically eastern Ukraine is Benidorm?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Well yeah, but you're only doing that because you have the weird ingrained idea that they're somehow 'different'! I get that new arrivals from Russia would be like that but it's incredible that even after generations they basically didn't assimilate at all. I feel like the great grandchildren of even the most gammony family moving to the Costa del Sol would be turn out pretty solidly Spanish, but who knows

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ThomasPaine posted:

There is a whole bunch of reasons why people might feel this way, but some of it isn't even really a choice.

What if your grandparents had moved to France, and you were born and raised in France, and spoke French, but you would often get comments, Oh your one of those -insert racial-cultural group here- people. Some people wouldn't care, but you find some people really do. Jobs you should get you don't, some people just look at you funny. Like you're going to start identifying with other people who are being persecuted in similar ways that you are.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

Well yeah, but you're only doing that because you have the weird ingrained idea that they're somehow 'different'! I get that new arrivals from Russia would be like that but it's incredible that even after generations they basically didn't assimilate at all. I feel like the great grandchildren of even the most gammony family moving to the Costa del Sol would be turn out pretty solidly Spanish, but who knows

Gibraltar tho

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

'ands off are rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Prole posted:

Lol I think I need to sign off for the day... It's only 9:30am and I am overwhelmed by Stuff. https://www.joe.co.uk/news/all-uk-t...m_campaign=feed

lol we sent a tiny force, too small to actually do anything, to show that "We're doing Something" and then the second it looks like we might actually go to war we're getting the gently caress out of there because they don't want to have to explain why UK troops got turned into meat paste by the Russians.