Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragon Ball Kai exists, and gets through the entirety of Saiyin Saga in 18 episodes versus the original 35, so once they make Dragon Ball Z: Super Kai and halve the number again you'll all make it through.

Who am I kidding, you wouldn't even watch it if it was compressed down to a single episode in Dragon Ball Z: Super Kai God Super Kai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Is that why anime seems to have a number of animated movie versions of shows that shorten a lot of a storyline into a 90-120 minute feature?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

OTOH, Ones other work, Mob Psycho 100 is one of the greatest anime of all time. One, the creator of OPM.

I tried the first two episodes of this because one punch man was entertaining, and thought they were crap.

Ep1 was was whatever, but all through episode 2 it was just scene after scene of unfunny situations/dialogue played to the absolute maximum. Turn this off right now levels of annoying.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I watched the original judge dredd last night for the first time in like 20 years, it’s sooooo close to being a classic but Stallone and the guy playing Rico are so poo poo. The amount of super obvious cutting that happened in the final act is also really annoying. All these creepy clones awaken and then… they just explode.
Lame!!!

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

JediTalentAgent posted:

Is that why anime seems to have a number of animated movie versions of shows that shorten a lot of a storyline into a 90-120 minute feature?

nah those are usually just an easy cash in to get fans to double dip, often they cut so much you'd be lost if you haven't already watched the tv show.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Computer release anesthizine gas into the thread, seventy parts per million

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Endless Trash posted:

just release some deoderant, that'll clear the anime filth

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

nah those are usually just an easy cash in to get fans to double dip, often they cut so much you'd be lost if you haven't already watched the tv show.

Pretty much. They're garbage for existing fans, which is why one of them is now the highest grossing film in japan of all time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Endless Trash posted:

I'm having trouble doing the math, is that over or under 9000?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PostNouveau posted:

The politics poo poo didn't make any sense in the games, and it don't make any sense in the show.

Like, show me a map. Where the gently caress is Niflgaard? What's a Skelliga?

Not having played the games or read the novels, I'm still loving baffled by what's going on in the Witcher. Everyone keeps naming places. The only one I remember is Milfguard. Nobody has any cultural signifiers. The kid's grandpa is a skeliga, what the gently caress is that? He was just another bland pudgy british guy. The nilfguard guys are more generic british guys. Geralt looks like a freak but apparently that's not a Witcher thing it's a Geralt thing? The others are just more regular dudes? I'm so confused by the stakes.

I really want to like it too. Buff sword man stabs monsters, tries to be dad. I'm on board. But I have no idea what's going on.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 12, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

evangelion is good imho

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

kdrudy posted:

Season 2 is fine, it just had to follow up one of the best animated seasons of any show ever.

It really wasn't fine. It wasn't particularly funny because the timing and pacing of everything was off and the animation was so poor that any action scene just felt like it dragged on. Those chapters in the comic had some of the coolest action and it looked lame as gently caress in the anime

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Redline is a fun movie. Reminded me of FZero.

Overlord is sort of similar to One Punch Man. At least in the semi comedic main character is way overpowered sort of way.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not having played the games or read the novels, I'm still loving baffled by what's going on in the Witcher. Everyone keeps naming places. The only one I remember is Milfguard. Nobody has any cultural signifiers. The kid's grandpa is a skeliga, what the gently caress is that? He was just another bland pudgy british guy. The nilfguard guys are more generic british guys. Geralt looks like a freak but apparently that's not a Witcher thing it's a Geralt thing? The others are just more regular dudes? I'm so confused by the stakes.

I really want to like it too. Buff sword man stabs monsters, tries to be dad. I'm on board. But I have no idea what's going on.

It's the same in the games. There are a lot of good sidequests where you go monster hunting and do a bunch of detective work and interview victims and witnesses and whatnot and they're a bunch of fun. Then the main quest is impenetrable politics.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I know Black Adam is like 5,000 years old or something, but The Rock is still too old to play him.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

RLM 2022: Subsumed By Anime

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

also how the gently caress you gonna give Spirited Away a 3/10 smdh

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

It's the same in the games. There are a lot of good sidequests where you go monster hunting and do a bunch of detective work and interview victims and witnesses and whatnot and they're a bunch of fun. Then the main quest is impenetrable politics.

that post isn't really about there being too much politics, it's about how they aren't portraying the world well.

in the games, they gave all the different nations different accents in the games to help you distinguish. all the witchers look witchery due to having the yellow eyes and being covered in scars. the tv show flattened out some of these things. like making the witchers look and behave like random soldiers who don't matter, for some reason. everybody sounds like they come from the same town.

although someone should make an original series using the witcher world that is actually primarily about some witchers at some point.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I've only played WITCHER 3 and while there was clearly some stuff I felt like I was missing out on, I found the plot got clearer the more time I spent with it.

https://twitter.com/itsRyanUnicomb/status/1492229481654005761?t=xBhC9_uHTkUwM2m22QOKCw&s=19

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

No Mods No Masters posted:

When faced with a choice between endless super heroes and endless anime, I suppose there's always the option to simply walk into the ocean

Take me with you.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I watched the original judge dredd last night for the first time in like 20 years, it’s sooooo close to being a classic but Stallone and the guy playing Rico are so poo poo. The amount of super obvious cutting that happened in the final act is also really annoying. All these creepy clones awaken and then… they just explode.
Lame!!!

LAAAAAWWWWWWW!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You could just watch something else

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Look, Redline is the best movie ever and is an anime, therefore anime is good, class dismissed

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Since this is the anime thread now, I'm on the fourth episode of FLCL and I think it's another case of the MC being a mopey dolt while everyone else is having fun.

Though he might be right because there's a 17 year old girl and a 20 year old girl perving on him (he's 12) so it's hard to tell.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Redline is really really good yeah

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah the geopilitic and war stuff is much worse than ASOIAF. Even the high fantasy overall story arc about siri is pretty boring compre to the generic LotR template.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

knocked some stuff off the watchlist yesterday on Netflix

color out of space was disappointing.

the two popes was quaint, though I slept on it and now it's just making me really loving angry. gently caress the Catholic Church tbqh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The writing on the show is absolute garbage. Don’t feel bad. It’s just poo poo.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Jon Irenicus posted:

also how the gently caress you gonna give Spirited Away a 3/10 smdh

Since I showed Totoro to my 4-year old he has been watching Totoro/Spirited Away/Ponyo/Hawls every day. You know how dumb toddlers are. He only watches the parts he like and hides when the "scary" part come up.

IMO Spirited Away has the best animation, set design, over world out of all post-Mononoke Glibli movies. Also A tier score. The story also doesn't too much plot stuff into it, which is the problem with Howl's moving castle. And Wind Rises.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The guys should really reupload the Max Landis BotW; as their first Neil Breen review it’s an important piece of RLM history.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

General Dog posted:

The guys should really reupload the Max Landis BotW; as their first Neil Breen review it’s an important piece of RLM history.

Wasn't it just de-listed?

Nope, it looks like they deleted it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
When was it taken down? I've always seen it in the BOTW playlist

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Barudak posted:

Who am I kidding, you wouldn't even watch it if it was compressed down to a single episode in Dragon Ball Z: Super Kai God Super Kai

It's been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo5Rhn8zuPA

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

They don’t want to be Joe Togan-ed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Togan eh

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Roe Toboggan

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Lame!!!

I'm sorry if you aren't howling with laughter for last twenty minutes of that movie while Stallone and Asante yell gibberish at each other and chew scenery. That movie loving rules.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Karl Urban Dredd owns, up there with T2 as one of the best action movies

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Barudak posted:

Dragon Ball Kai exists, and gets through the entirety of Saiyin Saga in 18 episodes versus the original 35, so once they make Dragon Ball Z: Super Kai and halve the number again you'll all make it through.

Wasn't DBZ's infamous stretching basically just filler, i.e. Goku was screaming for six months while the writer tried to come up with the next bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

PerniciousKnid posted:

Wasn't DBZ's infamous stretching basically just filler, i.e. Goku was screaming for six months while the writer tried to come up with the next bit.

good pacing for an anime based on a weekly manga is about 3 chapters per episode, this is a problem when both run concurrently.