Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

MasterSitsu posted:

The cops in Paris are tossing out tear gas and are in full blown riot gear (which is not unique there)

The people in Windsor have no idea what riot management actually looks like

Its not that I want to cheer state repression. I guess what’s bothering me is the knowledge it realy only flows one direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Cops openly admit they are getting bullied by the Ottawa protestors and incrementally managed one arrest with all officers deployed.

https://twitter.com/btaplatt/status/1492537404724494348

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Piquai Souban posted:

Cops openly admit they are getting bullied by the Ottawa protestors and incrementally managed one arrest with all officers deployed.

https://twitter.com/btaplatt/status/1492537404724494348

See, this is genuinely a massive humiliation for the city lmao

Like challenging and harassing cops is probably the one universal accepted reason for police use of force. It’s what always gets trotted out as justification; self defence.

But because it’s Chuds the cops are intimidated? Lmao

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Jan posted:

Please, you would get arrested in a matter of hours. Have you seen the response when that lady threw a chair onto the Gardiner from her condo deck?

You’re right, we might end up in a Drake video.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Its not that I want to cheer state repression. I guess what’s bothering me is the knowledge it realy only flows one direction

I mean, when a small minority demands the democratically elected government disband so they can ??? mandates ??? Trudope ??? Freedom to not have to follow rules ??? and holds the country hostage until ??? demand is met, it's not exactly state oppression as much as the state defending itself.

Without even getting into how much the US money and influence is now completely shaping the event, this is basically a group of angry folks saying they don't want democracy anymore. gently caress that. Comparing this to a March for science or First Nations protest or even a g20 type fiasco is nuts because this isn't an attempt to improve power structures, it's straight up an attempt to subvert elections and gain power over the large majority.

It seems silly, but I strongly believe this is an existential threat to the existence of the Canadian government and its brand of democracy and needs to be met with loving consequences.

Just sucks that every level of government has told the cops to do something and they've, to a pig, refused. Might be army time, regardless of the optics and time to fire and ban from service every single active loving traitor pig out there (its all of them) .

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It is worth noting that a number of the convoy assholes have self-identified as "the fringe minority". I have also seen banners and flags on their vehicles with literal fringes.

And sadly yes, we do have Sov Cits in Canada.

There's a judge (Alberta? My CanLII game is weak) who's written some hilarious takedowns of his sovereign citizen cases. Whereas other justices just dismiss these people with "All of this is gibberish that does not merit legal analysis" this one writes comedy gold in his judgements.

Wish I could remember the name. Maybe someone can chime in?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 13, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hexigrammus posted:

There's a judge (Alberta? My CanLII game is weak) who's written some hilarious takedowns of his sovereign citizen cases. Whereas other justices just dismiss these people with "All of this is gibberish that does not merit legal analysis" this one writes comedy gold in his judgements.

Wish I could remember the name. Maybe someone can chime in?

Case was Meads v Meads and the Judge was JD Rooke:

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

Yeah is basically now a legal primer on Sovcit crap and legal strategies.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 13, 2022

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Cocaine Bear posted:

and time to fire and ban from service every single active loving traitor pig out there (its all of them) .
Imagine if this is what actually triggers police reform in Ottawa. It's like stumbling into the right answer on a math test with all the wrong methods. And terrorizing your math teacher for weeks on end.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I want to address this post since Count Roland only replied to one of many issues with it.

Count Roland posted:

I don't think mandates would be going too far if they worked. Hospitals are clogged with the unvaccinated despite vaccine mandates. Meaning the policy of vaccine mandates failed to keep the hospitals running normally.

Now, they did help a bit. Mandates boosted the vaccination rate by a few percent, which amounts to a lot of money saved, many people out of hospitals and maybe thousands of lives saved. This is worth something. But I don't think its worth all this, especially now that Omicron is receding and vaccination rates have plateaued.

The second paragraph does a good enough job undermining the arguments in the first that it doesn't need to be rehashed. The last part, that mandates are not worth all this, is an interesting point which Roland hasn't clarified, so I'll play devil's advocate for a bit. The Ottawa Citizen had an article the other day about "truckers" who brought their kids on the convoy and have been camping out in Ottawa for weeks. The tl;dr? Well, first off, there are very few actual truckers here (but we knew that) - as far I can tell, only one ice road trucker who operates in Northern Ontario (:lol: at the Okanagan wine tour couple). But the kicker?

Almost all of these people quit their jobs over vaccine mandates, and pulled their kids out of school to piss around Parliament Hill for a few weeks. So yes, there is a cost to vaccine mandates. Do I feel sorry for them? The kids, yes. The parents, well, more at the level that I feel sorry for, say, that guy who had his girlfriend shoot him in the chest with a Desert Eagle for youtube lolz. It went through the encyclopedia he used for 'armour' and killed him. If you view them as victims of a well-funded international misinformation campaign, fair enough. But in that case, I don't think the answer is to deny them agency and let them hold public health hostage. The answer is to actually combat misinformation and prevent radicalization of (potentially previously ordinary) people into anti-vaxx/maskers. I have hardly seen any government in Canada put even a tiny bit of effort into this. It's a hard problem, but Finland for example is at least trying to fight disinformation by teaching kids about it in primary school. I'm not sure what could be done for adults but regulating Facebook and banning some of the more egregious bullshit-peddling users and groups would help.

It's also a good question how much stubborn anti-vaxxers are on the pro-woo, Jenny McCarthy side of things, versus generic libertarian chuds who are embracing anti-vaxx sentiment as part of the culture wars I'm guessing more of the latter than the former. given that one of the interviewees whines about not wanting his kids to grow up with masks and QR codes (I don't think that's a nuanced criticism of the shortcomings of QR code technology). Still, Ontario for example could do a hell of a lot more to tackle the former. How about banning homeopathy, naturopathy, chiropractic and other bullshit, for a start?

Lastly, even if we acknowledge that some anti-vaxxers were radicalized by various mandates (masks included separately from vaccines), I still think it's worth it. Hospital systems were very close to being overwhelmed at peak omicron. An extra 3% vaccinated could have saved thousands of lives - I'm presuming that there's a non-linear response of excess deaths from non-COVID-related reasons once ICUs are close to capacity, so every little bit helps. If you want to know what happens with 5-10% lower vaccination rates, look at the most highly vaccinated states in the US, with far more deaths and hospitalizations despite more beds and hospital capacity (though granted, access for the poor varies and is probably way worse than in Canada).

Count Roland posted:

Vaccines in general lower viral load, yes. The vaccines were somewhat effective in lowering transmission rates of Delta. The booster shot is somewhat effective in preventing the transmission of Omicron. Two doses however, which is what the vaccine mandates have called for, is not at all effective at preventing transmission. This is why Omicron has swept through the entire world, and why people who are fully vaccinated routinely catch and spread it. The vaccines do however largely protect against severe illness.

Since two shots of the vaccine do not prevent or even meaningfully slow the spread of the disease, vaccine mandates have been utterly ineffective at providing "safe" spaces-- a vaccinated person who walks into a restaurant is just as able to spread the disease as an [sic: meant un?]vaccinated person.

The bolded claims are, well, bold. In the future, please support such claims with primary sourced evidence in the original post, especially if they're public health/COVID-related.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 12, 2022

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Cocaine Bear posted:

It seems silly, but I strongly believe this is an existential threat to the existence of the Canadian government and its brand of democracy and needs to be met with loving consequences.

It's kinda funny, despite that disrupting the federal government appears to be the primary goal of this, parliament has been sitting all week, seemingly without issue.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

its been hours and all the Windsor cops have been able to do is move them a hundred feet away from a McDonald's, while meanwhile the crowd on the other side has only grown. There's kids there now.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

MasterSitsu posted:

its been hours and all the Windsor cops have been able to do is move them a hundred feet away from a McDonald's, while meanwhile the crowd on the other side has only grown. There's kids there now.

They are doing this on purpose and at every single one of these gatherings. They are literally hiding behind children. I cant decide if Im utter disgusted or loving furious at this level of cowardice. These people operate like terrorists and the media, police and government are all treating them with kid gloves and calling them protestors still.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Furnaceface posted:

They are doing this on purpose and at every single one of these gatherings. They are literally hiding behind children. I cant decide if Im utter disgusted or loving furious at this level of cowardice. These people operate like terrorists and the media, police and government are all treating them with kid gloves and calling them protestors still.

Yeah this tactic is a carryover from Waco and the US Bureau of Land Management protests. They bring their family as (often willing) human shields knowing Law Enforcement won't touch them.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

MasterSitsu posted:

On the US side?

Bringing your kids to your dangerous borderline terrorist to be your human shield should be grounds for immediate removal of the child from your custody, because you clearly absolutely don't give a gently caress about their well being.

These people are disgusting cowards and narcissistic fuckwads.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 12, 2022

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

On the US side?

I'm watching the Windsor stream at https://twitch.tv/themayor_mccheese

You see kids walking around here and there, there's people pushing babies in strollers...

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

TulliusCicero posted:

borderline terrorist
No need to hold back, they're totally terrorists.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

MasterSitsu posted:

I'm watching the Windsor stream at https://twitch.tv/themayor_mccheese

You see kids walking around here and there, there's people pushing babies in strollers...

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonliedtke/status/1491601342342782977/photo/1

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
Why can't the cops just grab and arrest a couple of the most assholish looking?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Calumanjaro posted:

You can't arrest a cop

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Calumanjaro posted:

Or just the ones on the outside edge. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

https://twitter.com/KatGeorgieva/status/1492574193413767174

god drat it, just do something

aaaaarghfhfhghhghghfhhafaf

https://twitter.com/Gray_Mackenzie/status/1492563565265530886?s=20&t=9kFS-lIJ9Elhq5wnc-9SXg

Development fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 12, 2022

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

gently caress sakes, fire all police in North America at this pont and start from scratch

Their organizational sympathy clesrly lies with anti-democratic terrorists.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

MasterSitsu posted:

The cops in Paris are tossing out tear gas and are in full blown riot gear (which is not unique there)

The people in Windsor have no idea what riot management actually looks like

is it the CRS? they don't gently caress around and have a long history of dealing with protests like every 2 months

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

https://twitter.com/TheEagleist/status/1492573247640154118

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

These people are actually pigs, holy poo poo

Like, what do you even get out of defacing that?

I've never understood Chuds holy reverence for R TRUPS and Tradition, and they will immediately turn around amd literally poo poo on memorials and government buildings

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

These people are actually pigs, holy poo poo

Like, what do you even get out of defacing that?

I've never understood Chuds holy reverence for R TRUPS and Tradition, and they will immediately turn around amd literally poo poo on memorials and government buildings

they're props, op

DiscretionOverValor
Nov 25, 2007

That's fine, the fence was only to protect the occupiers from themselves

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Cops can't bring in tear gas, riot gear, and water cannons because there are kids being used as shields. I heard Sloly has threatened the parents with child protection services coming in.

Whether or not something will actually happen is anyone's guess.

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 12, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm going to go ahead and guess "not".

There will always be a plausible justification for not enforcing their mandate. They've been spouting them for two straight weeks now, no reason to stop today.

The very minute they feel like doing their job, they will do so, and not before.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

ZeeBoi posted:

Cops can't bring in tear gas, riot gear, and water cannons because there are kids being used as shields. I heard Sloly has threatened the parents with child protection services coming in.

Lol everyday there's some new bullshit about why ottawa police can't do anything.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
The Royal Canadian Legion have officially criticized OPS:

https://twitter.com/RoyalCdnLegion/status/1492607152401305604

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ZeeBoi posted:

Threaten? loving don't threaten, just do. Take off the little kid gloves and just take action. There should be a flood of reports to CPS or whatever the provincial equivalent is wherever kids are being used as shields.

I understand that the Geneva Convention applies to the military but shouldn't the use of children or innocent bystanders as shields be prohibited during any civil protest where violence is a real possibility? Of course letting the system decide what is a "real possibility" sounds like it would be abused by the authorities. Is there no way to implement such a thing with proper oversight to prevent abuse?

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
A thought experiment I've been working through is to try and assess how I would feel if the protestors were taking the same actions but in support of a cause that I strongly agree with.

So far I feel that I'd be okay with shutting down trade/commerce, disrupting the streets, and defacing statues/monuments. I wouldn't be thrilled about the noise making as it would seem to be mostly counter-productive and not furthering the goals of the protest.

Harassing individual people on the street, making violent threats, bringing children to the protest where violence from the authorities is possible or trying to torch inhabited buildings is verboten.

I can't recall other actions protestors have taken and welcome any suggestions for other actions they've taken so I can evaluate how I feel about them.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I hope everyone in OPS' brass gets sacked for this

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Grouchio posted:

The brass have lost control of their own force. Its very weird but also kind of scary.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

TulliusCicero posted:

Weren't there people harassing women and minorities in Ottowa, and an attempted arson?

Seems pretty violent to me

So much so that OPS set up a hotline specifically to make reports about criminal behaviour from convoy members.

One woman was targeted for wearing a mask with one of the convoy fucks following her home shouting "keep walking home girly i'll come and take more than that mask off if you don't take that poo poo off right now." and when she called Police they told her that they knew about the threats and told her don't wear a mask. Just, you know, comply with the demands of the guy threatening to rape you. Nothing could go wrong with that!

They also beat a bike courier so bad he had to have surgery to save one of his eyes. Haven't seen anything about it in the news, but although I don't know him personally, there's some overlap in the venn diagram of his social circle and mine so I wound up throwing a few bucks at a gofundme members of his work coop set up to help him and his family cover their bills until he can work again.

Dr. Thoss fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 12, 2022

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Grouchio posted:

If by sacked you mean an increased budget and a bunch of awards you probably won't have to hope for too long! Probably get legislated a bunch of new gross powers to use on First Nations and left protests to boot!

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Any 'reform' that happens because of this will just be an increased budget and broadening police powers that'll be used only against local residents.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/1492589345576042497?t=SQcIL6V6la5XU2YPGxggLg&s=19

Oh they were just outnumbered and outgunned, I guess the explanation is they just need more money. Sounds like a simple fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

https://twitter.com/PennyDaflos/status/1492635496408698880?s=20&t=S_jJ42gvyJcbxfpJVjf9UA

havin' a normal one