Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No hate but I have no idea why you’d buy a PS5 if you weren’t interested in their single player first party games.

People want to play with their friends and on SA (and most of the world) PlayStation 4 was the clear favorite. I didn’t mind because I rarely play multiplayer, but the PS4 multiplayer goon community was much, much larger and more active than the Xbox One community. So it made sense for a lot of people to try to stick with the console that had the strongest multiplayer community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
"There's blocks falling from the sky, but you can change their direction as they fall so they land as neatly as possible" is more plot than I need.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Not having friends stays winning

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

No hate but I have no idea why you’d buy a PS5 if you weren’t interested in their single player first party games.

The only first-party game I own for PS4 is BB, and that's more From than Sony.

PS4 had a shitload of games that weren't on the Xbone, the sort that sometimes were exclusive to the 360, that's how hard MS dropped the ball last gen.

They've recovered a lot of ground in the last years with DQ, Yakuza, etc now having Xbox versions too, but now that the PS5 isn't a piece of poo poo like the PS3 was the niche games that went 360 > PS4/Switch might not jump back as easily as the AAAs.

However, you might be right because with back compat being a thing it's not a stretch to imagine most of those not having PS5 versions at all and remaining PS4/Switch exclusive.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

There's also the sunk cost of "I already have a digital library in this ecosystem". Doesn't apply to everyone of course but it was a factor when I examined my options a few years ago in preparation for the next generation.

Extremely happy I went back to Xbox of course, though it is very irritating to see timed and de facto exclusives from this side of the fence :(

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

I dislike the Sony house style but there's a ton of stuff only available on PS/PC and I don't have the money for the latter

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lots of my favorite games have been Sony single player games and I still have some fomo after buying a series x instead of a ps5.

I can’t think of any Xbox exclusives I ever felt like I was missing out on but game pass is cool as hell so I’m happy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The only ps4/ps5 game I covet is the Spider-Man one, that looks fun. I haven’t owned a sony console since the ps3 which I really disliked.

Definitely play Sunset Overdrive on Game Pass if you haven’t, it’s by that studio (Insomniac) before they got bought by Sony. It’s like a better Saints Row.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Debateable

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

priznat posted:

The only ps4/ps5 game I covet is the Spider-Man one, that looks fun. I haven’t owned a sony console since the ps3 which I really disliked.

Definitely play Sunset Overdrive on Game Pass if you haven’t, it’s by that studio (Insomniac) before they got bought by Sony. It’s like a better Saints Row.

Sunset Overdrive is fun, and I played the hell out of it when I got my One because there wasn't much else to play but nah, it's no where near as good as Saints Row.

I mean I'm still pissed we never got a sequel because that would have ruled, but it definitely has some quirks of being an early gen release.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Sunset Overdrive really comes into its own once you unlock the air dash move. It's too bad I didn't unlock it for a couple hours.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

30fps though. Rank

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thunder Bear posted:

I'll be frank: after immersing myself in my Series S and Game Pass for the past few weeks, I'm starting to realize that I'd happily trade my PS5 for a Series X. My PS5 is basically a Bloodborne/Souls machine just like my previous PS consoles before it; I simply don't care about any of Sony's exclusives and never have (with the obvious exceptions being BB and maybe Returnal). Anything plot-heavy is a no-go for me and Sony's been leaning too heavily into that for years, which is fine but it just isn't for me.

The only thing stopping such a trade is the fact that my PS5 was a gift, and Emily Post would frown on that.

I'll always be a Nintendo fan first and foremost, though. The day I skip a Nintendo console is the day I stop gaming completely.

I would say the two are close enough to one another and so many games come out for both that the one with gamepass should clearly win out

BUT

I like Japanese stuff. Gamepass is getting better for that for sure (all the yakuzas!!) but new FF games are still exclusive to ps (pc ports later) and stuff like persona is only available on there. The new Guilty gear only came Out on ps/pc too.

There’s of course the obvious PS first party stuff that most people will care about but there are occasional games that just only come to ps and nothing else

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gran Turismo is giving me bedroom eyes

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah, because you're falling asleep while watching it because it's so boring.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

*Feels Villeneuve moans erotically*

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Gran Turismo was the game that told me I was to poo poo to play it, gently caress those license tests I just wanna crash some supercars!!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gran turismo has not been good for over 15 years at this point, getting excited for a new one now would be like getting excited for a new need for speed game

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I am cool with a lot of story in a game if the entire point of playing that game is the story. Something like Dying Light 2, where the story is dreadful and its loaded with it, is no good for me. Now MGS1 or Snake Eater? I am down.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I spent a couple hours playing Gran Turismo 1 a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. That and Sega GT 2002 on Xbox got me into non-arcade racing games and the new one looks interesting. I will probably get it day one.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Zerot posted:

Sega GT 2002

I played that last week. It was so good. It is impressive how some gen 6 racers hold up visually.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Disposable Scud posted:

I am cool with a lot of story in a game if the entire point of playing that game is the story. Something like Dying Light 2, where the story is dreadful and its loaded with it, is no good for me. Now MGS1 or Snake Eater? I am down.

Yeah

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

gran turismo has not been good for over 15 years at this point, getting excited for a new one now would be like getting excited for a new need for speed game

i was about to say there's totally good new need for speed games and then remembered i was talking about carbon which was on 360 and is probably literally 15 years old

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Most Wanted Remastered is good and you can play it on Game Pass Ultimate with included EA Play subscription.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Bring Burnout 2 and 3 to back compat you cowards.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

American McGay posted:

Bring Burnout 2 and 3 to back compat you cowards.

I should pick those up now that I have an OG Xbox again.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I keep my 360 that sounds like a jet engine around solely for that once every 2-3 years urge to replay Takedown. I'm also a weirdo who thinks that Burnout 2 is the greatest arcade racer ever made. Luckily Dolphin emulation is amazing and you can basically run it at 4K60 on a Crackerjack box, but still having the option to just sit down at a console and play it on my TV would be nice.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m still surprised that some people ITT actually say “Xbox stays winning” unironically. Not because Xbox is bad or whatever but who cares about that console war poo poo in 2022. I always assumed it was only ever used as a meme before

Why would I say something plainly true ironically?

American McGay posted:

I keep my 360 that sounds like a jet engine around solely for that once every 2-3 years urge to replay Takedown.

I still have my 360 but the only reason I really had it around was to play fight night champion online but that was added to back compat 2 years ago about. Looking back its funny- My 360 runs quiet and the original controllers have no issues and I never got a single red ring, Xb1 original runs great and silent I think I got one controller with stick drift, and the XSX and controller are amazing hardware with 0 issues. I got a lot luckier than others it seems. I bought my 360 about a year in though, it was the arcade model whenever that happened.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Outrun 2006 is another really fun arcade racer from that era though it's *really* an arcade racer, as in a Sega arcade port.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Larry Parrish posted:

i was about to say there's totally good new need for speed games and then remembered i was talking about carbon which was on 360 and is probably literally 15 years old

carbon is alright but still a large step down from the heights of the underground games and most wanted

pro street, on the other hand, is perhaps the single worst racing game i have ever played, and i totally checked out of the series after that and the also really terrible undercover

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I kinda wish NFS was still around, that was the one series where they'd just constantly change poo poo resulting in some completely weird games

Remember rhe really bad one which was story based where they tried to make the whole thing a bunch of like, car chase levels

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Feels Villeneuve posted:

*Feels Villeneuve moans erotically*

plz forward all my mail to Brand Central

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m still surprised that some people ITT actually say “Xbox stays winning” unironically. Not because Xbox is bad or whatever but who cares about that console war poo poo in 2022. I always assumed it was only ever used as a meme before

lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I am also very concerned about this style of posting.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm kind of pissed off when people imply that Game Pass is to consumer friendly and that it will lead Xbox to dominate the market, which is bad somehow.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Escobarbarian posted:

Ps5 could be winning too, if it had games.
They aren't mutually exclusive.

ps. Xbox stays winning.

ps.ps. Nintencan't though.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

priznat posted:

Gran Turismo was the game that told me I was to poo poo to play it, gently caress those license tests I just wanna crash some supercars!!

I feel like I've gotten my fill of Forza's constant affirmation. I'm ready for a car game to tell me I've dishonored myself and my vehicle for hitting those cones again.

Not enough to get me to buy a PS5 though. Now starting the Get A Series X process

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lammasu posted:

I'm kind of pissed off when people imply that Game Pass is to consumer friendly and that it will lead Xbox to dominate the market, which is bad somehow.

They’re afraid it’ll become the only game in town and M$ will eventually start charging ppl $30/mo to access Skyrim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A bargain