Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Boba Pearl posted:

100x, that's 13 times an hour what the gently caress.

Marcade posted:

Look, N-word Georg is an outlier and should not be counted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

If they're using slurs the way I use gently caress, poo poo and **** that's pretty believable.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I said outlier, not Outrail.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Breetai posted:

People who insist on sharp borders and purity of essence in food strike me as having the same kind of brainworms as the weirdos who insist on keeping languages static and unchanging without understanding what a complete bastard polyglot fuckpile of different regional tongues basically every single language already is.

It gets tricky though. "Hipsters" looking for "authentic" food has its own fetishization and is gross. But I've also had Vietnamese, Pinoy and Malay friends have a real crisis of consciousness when "their" food became en vogue. In my white expectation, repackaging their cuisine to meet the expectations of the dominant culture is what the primary insult should be. And it is an insult, but one that is expected. The Dutch like Dutch food, so Indonesian restaurants in the Nietherlands cater to Dutch tastes. The British like English food, so Indian restaurants in Scotland cater to the local taste. Standing proud and saying, "This isn't for me, this is for you!" is a real declaration of self-identification. The crisis comes when the "weird, smelly" thing (usually fish sauce-based) that they were made ashamed of as a kid becomes the new "thing".

"I was made fun of this growing up and now the same people who mocked me are enjoying this, getting rich off this!?!"

I get that as a casus belli.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
more like casus belly if we're talking americanized portions here

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

more like casus belly if we're talking americanized portions here

This isn't the "post funny posts" thread, this is the "post funny quotes" thread!

wait

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
“When I left you, I was but an emptyquoter, now I am the poster.”

doingitwrong has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Feb 12, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Vitruvian Manic posted:

The British like English food, so Indian restaurants in Scotland cater to the local taste.

I get your point, but I am not sure the Scottish would like being told they like English food. Theirs is obviously much better.

The handful I met would likely punch you for calling them British as well, even if it may be technically true.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

doingitwrong posted:

“When I left you, I was but an emptyquoter, now I am the poster.”

"You merely adopted the funny quote. I was born in it, molded by it."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RFC2324 posted:

I get your point, but I am not sure the Scottish would like being told they like English food. Theirs is obviously much better.

The handful I met would likely punch you for calling them British as well, even if it may be technically true.

The scottish deep fry their jellied eels

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Milo and POTUS posted:

The scottish deep fry their jellied eels

I didn't say good, just better than english food :D

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

RFC2324 posted:

I didn't say good, just better than english food :D

*salutes fish shop serving deep-fried haggis

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Food can be a weird thing there since while it can be a genuine way of embracing new cultures it can also be a very colonialist thing.

Sometimes you get both, like the British conquering half the world for spices and then deciding they didn't want any.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

RFC2324 posted:

Lmao what, Scottish people are proud of having the worst food on earth, literally today one of my aunt's messaged me a pic of extremely burnt toast, a staple of Scottish cuisine. Black pudding, tatty scones, breakfast sausage and baked beans are great but it's "die at 40 of heart congestion" food

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Food can be a weird thing there since while it can be a genuine way of embracing new cultures it can also be a very colonialist thing.

Sometimes you get both, like the British conquering half the world for spices and then deciding they didn't want any.

Or the British bringing curry to Japan when their sailors kept trying to order curry there because the people seemed similar enough to Indians

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Look, if everyone's able to enjoy spices thanks to trade routes making it plentiful and cheap, then clearly it's disgusting commoner muck and REAL British food shouldn't use any of that nonsense! :wotwot:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

goon food opinions happen with the cadence and impact of locust swarmings

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

scotland has well fired rolls which is if you took a bread roll and then burnt the gently caress out of the top of it

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Why would you do that to a perfectly good bread roll?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Because with a good one of those you can brain an englishman from a good fifty yards distance.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Karate Bastard posted:

Because with a good one of those you can brain an englishman from a good fifty yards distance.

Well fired, indeed

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Karate Bastard posted:

Easy there, Agent 47.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Scottish battle cuisine

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
No I said "warchef".

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
It’s like my father always said, “anything’s a weapon after enough whiskey”.

Words to live by.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

jesus WEP posted:

scotland has well fired rolls which is if you took a bread roll and then burnt the gently caress out of the top of it

Think they just spelled "scorch" wrong.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is your monitor turned on?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Karate Bastard posted:

Ahh, we've discovered the original Dwarf Bread.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kind of upset at how long it took me to get the joke.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Plank Walker posted:

was thinking about the lack of women into nfts/crypto and i guess it's because

girls just wanna have funge

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:sonia: Should I tell my girlfriend I am a stripper? :sonia:

butts butts BUTTS! posted:

Been working in the adult entertainment industry for about a month now, and my girlfriend doesn't know about it. I brought home some of my breakaway pants by accident the other day and when she wondered what they were I said it was a type of exercise pants. I think she suspects.

I don't know what to do. What do you think internet?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What… what was rule #4? :ohdear:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What… what was rule #4? :ohdear:

butts butts BUTTS! posted:

My super hero costume is my mickey mouse thong

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Lmao what, Scottish people are proud of having the worst food on earth, literally today one of my aunt's messaged me a pic of extremely burnt toast, a staple of Scottish cuisine. Black pudding, tatty scones, breakfast sausage and baked beans are great but it's "die at 40 of heart congestion" food

So if you told her some english food was better than that she would agree?

Given that there is no such thing as objectively superior food, any claim that x food is better than y should probably be treated as subjective and/or tongue in cheek

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Why would you do that to a perfectly good bread roll?

They actually don't taste burned if they're done right, they're more like toast except the rest of the roll isn't toasted. I like to have a couple buttered with a few slices of Jarlsberg, it's a pro light lunch.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Jedit posted:

slices of Jarlsberg

got confused by this but then realized I was thinking of Carlsberg

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, I thought the same, but it didn't really give me a pause that a Scottish light snack would include a couple pints.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

steinrokkan posted:

Oh yeah, I thought the same, but it didn't really give me a pause that a Scottish light snack would include a couple pints.

yeah, it was "slices" that confused me

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

So if you told her some english food was better than that she would agree?

Given that there is no such thing as objectively superior food, any claim that x food is better than y should probably be treated as subjective and/or tongue in cheek

People get really mad about it though, go post in a Texas thread about beans and chili sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
almost every long thread I'm reading is currently on a food derail (except the food threads (those are on topic))