Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

Fringe streaming services are so vastly cooler than the big guys

You should subscribe to Wow Presents Plus, run by the production company behind RuPaul's Drag Race. For $5, you don't get RuPaul's Drag Race or RuPaul's Drag Race All-Stars, just the international editions of the show, and all of their free youtube content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Must be different in the UK, cos now it's the only place to get all the Ru content.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Chas McGill posted:

Must be different in the UK, cos now it's the only place to get all the Ru content.

Yeah, in the US, to get most of the US stuff, you have to have Paramount Plus. There is a smattering of seasons (with missing episodes) on Hulu, and there might still be some on Amazon Prime.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

feedmyleg posted:

Fringe streaming services are so vastly cooler than the big guys

I don't know if I'd consider Pluto fringe anymore. I'll give Viacom/CBS credit for this: Ever since they acquired Pluto, they've done a really good job of getting the back catalog of CBS and Paramount owned old TV shows on there. There's stuff on there that's not on Paramount Plus for whatever reason.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I stopped watching Pluto after it kept serving me non-stop alt-right propaganda during the ad breaks. Has it calmed down a bit?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tiny Timbs posted:

I stopped watching Pluto after it kept serving me non-stop alt-right propaganda during the ad breaks. Has it calmed down a bit?

I assume the ads are targeted based on region or other factors because I don't recall seeing those.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This was in Colorado a couple years ago and included things like people pretending to be healthcare workers attacking access to healthcare. They were pretty nasty political ads and the same ones would play over and over again during a show so it got real tiresome.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I've never seen anything but generic insurance commercials and poo poo and I live in north Carolina

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
commercials aside, Pluto does have vile right-wing disinfo channels

i mean, i'm not gonna bother boycotting them over it, but it sucks

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

My local Subaru dealership streams The Baywatch Channel 24/7 in their waiting area

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Last Action Hero is as not-terrible as I remember from seeing it on TV as a kid. Enjoying some of the stunt coordination. Really not bad as a dumb action movie from its era, and not a computer generated image in sight. Some so-so greenscreening though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Summer of Soul is so good.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Kimi is good, Soderbergh rules.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Kimi was good too.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Watched The Vigil last night, really enjoyed it. It had some truly scary parts and the story/acting were solid.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Papercut posted:

Watched The Vigil last night, really enjoyed it. It had some truly scary parts and the story/acting were solid.

This was a good one. I'll always take a look at horror based in cultures that aren't mine and this was cool and made use of its budget efficiently.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Watched "Horrible Bosses 2". Reminds me of the pre-2010s where sequels were virtually always worse than the originals.

The film was a step down from the first in everyway (which wasn't even that strong to begin with). And the ending undermines so much of the original.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

doctorfrog posted:

Last Action Hero is as not-terrible as I remember from seeing it on TV as a kid. Enjoying some of the stunt coordination. Really not bad as a dumb action movie from its era, and not a computer generated image in sight. Some so-so greenscreening though.

Last Action Hero is a fun movie with a great script and even if it wasn't overall the danny devito animated talking cat bit makes the rest of it worthwhile

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I remember a post-mortem about ten years ago that revealed that even the execs who greenlit the film were more excited to see Jurassic Park.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Inventing Anna on Netflix is about what you'd expect. If the real life story wasn't so incredible, it probably wouldn't be very believable.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Finished Ozarks, kinda realized with this half-season release that it's hard to be compelling when you wouldn't really mind if any character died at any point. Like, I don't really want Marty to get away?

Finished Boba Fett, baffling at how they made an enormous fight sequence in Tatooine featuring two jet packed bounty hunters laying waste to a crime syndicate boring. Thirteen year old me would be very disappointed.

Caught up on Peacemaker, incredibly good. Far and away better than every MCU show by a huge margin. Crazy how much better it is when the creator doesn't have to conform to strict templates in terms of style/etc.

Started watching Justified again because I never finished it back in the day, kinda forgot how case-of-the-week it starts out but I remember it getting great later on?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wolfsheim posted:

Finished Boba Fett, baffling at how they made an enormous fight sequence in Tatooine featuring two jet packed bounty hunters laying waste to a crime syndicate boring. Thirteen year old me would be very disappointed.

Was just telling a friend how angry young medullah would have been when I told him how dull I found a show about Boba Fett. It's not bad, just meh He'd also be angry at how fat I got, but that's neither here nor there.

I think I'm at the point now where I almost don't care about Star Wars media about existing characters in the franchise. They have such a fantastic world of lore to work from and we're just hitting the same beats over and over again. I'm more excited about the return of Robocobb than I am about Ashoka or Kenobi.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Medullah posted:

They have such a fantastic world of lore to work from and we're just hitting the same beats over and over again.

lol literally everything is set on Tattoine

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kazil posted:

lol literally everything is set on Tattoine

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Boba Fett felt like a dramatized version of a child playing with his Star Wars toys and smashing them together.

I wanna see that final fight scene with a 6 year old narrating. "And-then then the rancor, he jump on the building and Boba riding on him and he smash down and braggghhhhh! he smash the robots." * Also he didn't have enough Star Wars toys and had to dig into some reboot toys or something, which is the only explanation I have for the mod squad.

* yes I am imagining the kid from the Onion Fast and Furious bit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mod squad is just Voltron lions with Black Krrsantan being the torso.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Finished Ozarks, kinda realized with this half-season release that it's hard to be compelling when you wouldn't really mind if any character died at any point. Like, I don't really want Marty to get away?

Caught up on Peacemaker, incredibly good. Far and away better than every MCU show by a huge margin. Crazy how much better it is when the creator doesn't have to conform to strict templates in terms of style/etc.

Started watching Justified again because I never finished it back in the day, kinda forgot how case-of-the-week it starts out but I remember it getting great later on?

The quality of any given Justified episode is directly tied to the amount of dialogue Boyd Crowder gets.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

Inventing Anna on Netflix is about what you'd expect. If the real life story wasn't so incredible, it probably wouldn't be very believable.

does it turn out there's a reason her accent is so incredibly bad because i was enjoying the first episode until i hit a wall of it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I watched the trailer and was trying to figure out if that was part of the joke or something, because that accent is just baffling.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

does it turn out there's a reason her accent is so incredibly bad because i was enjoying the first episode until i hit a wall of it

It's because she is Ruth Langmore from Ozark, duh.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Her accent in Ozark sucked too. I'm surprised it got less pushback than it did. As a deep southern person, it was not good.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

I'm not good with accents, but the real life reason is that she is a Russian who speaks poor German but is trying to imitate a German accent while speaking American English. Her real life accent is muddled.

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

Abbott Elementary is surprisingly funny and is on Hulu. Grand Crew was also surprisingly funny, it's on Peacock.

Surprising, because I don't think there has been anything good on network TV since The Good Place.

Abbott Elementary is like the best first season of a sitcom that I can recall, all of the characters are great and they all play off each other expertly

Grand Crew is also available on Hulu! I didn't think I'd like it based on the ads but it's actually pretty good if a little uneven

American Auto is reasonably funny too (also on Hulu, but I swear this post is not sponsored by Hulu...)

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
+1 to Kimi, very entertaining. I really enjoyed the use of sound in it. The setup with the kombucha bottle got me, hah.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yep, Kimi is a fun little thriller.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Beforeigners completely goes off the rail in the last episode of the second season lol

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ok, so I finally finished The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window and it is indeed good and funny. I don’t know if I care enough to watch a second season if they end up making more, but we’ll see.

The first few episodes are more low key, episodes 4 and 5 are when it really starts to get ridiculous. The bread texting was funny but my favorite part was (2nd to last episode) ”He’s still working on the mailbox! What?!

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

wizardofloneliness posted:

Ok, so I finally finished The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window and it is indeed good and funny. I don’t know if I care enough to watch a second season if they end up making more, but we’ll see.

The first few episodes are more low key, episodes 4 and 5 are when it really starts to get ridiculous. The bread texting was funny but my favorite part was (2nd to last episode) ”He’s still working on the mailbox! What?!

The final epitaph on the kids tombstone "There's no I in Heaven" was so goddamn stupid it cracked me up for like a full minute.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Never heard about this Kimi thing until I saw it as the header on HBO Max yesterday. I'm sold.

And it's only 90 minutes!

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Was I the only one who was disappointed in the outcome of Nate's game of russian roulette on tonight's Euphoria?