Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

nurmie posted:

phuo: there's nothing more cringe than "creative" Joss Whedonesque swearing (eg poo poo like "fucknugget" or whatever). again, this applies to english and to all other languages that share this "feature"

Anyone trying to quip in real life needs to get punched in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I like your point and energy but please don't call for IRL violence.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wanted to violently vomit when I saw the Rise of Skywalker trailer and Poe said, "They fly now? They fly now!" which is the most Whedon line in a Star Wars movie.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
"Cringe" as an adjective and "fail" being used as a noun.

I know how language works, but I don't have to like it :mad:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Don't mind fail, but yeah it's cringey.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I don't mind 'cringe' nearly as much as 'twerk' or 'swag' or 'dab'. The 2013 webster inductions made me want to claw my eyes out

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

credburn posted:

I know how language works, but I don't have to like it :mad:

same same

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

We're doing word pet peeves? Mine is the word "disrespect" being used as a verb instead of as a noun. It isn't actually an incorrect usage, but it sounds like it should be wrong and my brain always wants to flag it as a grammatical error.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Powered Descent posted:

We're doing word pet peeves? Mine is the word "disrespect" being used as a verb instead of as a noun. It isn't actually an incorrect usage, but it sounds like it should be wrong and my brain always wants to flag it as a grammatical error.

I disrespect this opinion

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

thetoughestbean posted:

I disrespectorate this opinion

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

I wanted to violently vomit when I saw the Rise of Skywalker trailer and Poe said, "They fly now? They fly now!" which is the most Whedon line in a Star Wars movie.

joss whedon needs to be punished for his crimes against pop culture

i dont think theres another style of writing that i hate as much. maaaaybe aaron sorkineese (though it can be ok and even good sometimes. unlike whedoneese)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

doverhog posted:

I like your point and energy but please don't call for IRL violence.

thetoughestbean posted:

I disrespect this opinion

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
My three... Tarot, which I'll always pronounce as tear-ot. Strop, which I pronounce with a long O. The short sounds make me wince for those two words, even though I tend to "French" other things. (When I first saw Les Schwab tire centers, yes, "lay Schwab"; it was 5-10yr later before I heard an ad and took minutes figuring out who they were talking about. Also tarjay department/general stores.)

And the third is mathematics, which is shortened as math; there is no five letter form. :colbert:

In terms of usage, viral was apparently added in 1999 to mean "rapid spread of information", with later appearances of "viral video" and "go viral". I claim at some point they should have updated again because now when I hear it I translate it as plebian/(the) mob.

And when people don't use "fewer" :eng99: I usually correct them if our relationship permits.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

So, you do call for violence, or what are you trying to say here? No need to answer.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I'm actually more worried about their definition of 'quip':

Gaius Marius posted:

Anyone trying to quip in real life needs to get punched in the face.
This is a significant portion of SA and probably 85% of anyone who was ever a father, given the uptick in suffixing everything with "dad joke :cheersdoge:".

(spills Christmas party beverage while trying to drink)
"Well you sure got ... punched in the face" (Bevis laugh) "dad joke".

He who would pun would pick a pocket.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Robobot posted:

I’ve always liked “poo poo bird” and “chucklefuck”, do those count?

If you can picture Tony Soprano saying it, it's fine, if you can picture a R-rated Dr Who saying it, it isn't.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

silence_kit posted:

strongly agreed. 'chucklefuck' 'asshattery' 'shitlord', etc. all terrible

i really dont like these either

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I like (and use) chucklefuck. Also partial to douchebaggery.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
"Bag of piss" is a favourite of mine. Gutless too.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Gripweed posted:

In Jimmy Carrs new Netflux special he said people don't talk about the gypsies who died in the holocaust because they don't want to talk about the positives

is Jimmy Carr the one that had an entire bit about earnestly wishing that Richard Hammond had died in his accident because of a bunch of poo poo he made up about them being schoolmates and how nobody liked Hammond, or is that a different edgy British comedian

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
That's Stewart Lee

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

ishikabibble posted:

is Jimmy Carr the one that had an entire bit about earnestly wishing that Richard Hammond had died in his accident because of a bunch of poo poo he made up about them being schoolmates and how nobody liked Hammond, or is that a different edgy British comedian

That was Stewart Lee

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stewart Lee said he despised Hammond for his lovely racist jokes and for laughing at jokes about blind people that Jeremy Clarkson did.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone not following Kanye on Instagram is doing themselves a massive disservice

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ishikabibble posted:

I really like the idea of getting mad about Stewart Lee because you believe one of the stories he told on stage wasn't true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KNGDZhoRyA

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Gaius Marius posted:

Anyone not following Kanye on Instagram is doing themselves a massive disservice
It's fine when Instagram posters hold my interest, but Kayne is just not Able.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ8WQFoL12j/?utm_medium=copy_link

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And in the middle of all his ranting he did a commercial for McDonald's.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Nobody should give Kanye attention.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just found out about colugo and now I don't understand how I hadn't heard about colugo before.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

thetoughestbean posted:

his mental health has been slowly deteriorating over the last decade and it's kinda sad and painful to watch, tbh

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How the gently caress did public schools fail me this badly, that these things have been around my entire life and nobody informed me until now

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Gripweed posted:

How the gently caress did public schools fail me this badly, that these things have been around my entire life and nobody informed me until now

I'm guessing that's a Coluga, but why is it the responsibility of a school system to make you wonder why Bullwinkle's friend is named Rocky the flying squirrel?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I'm guessing that's a Coluga, but why is it the responsibility of a school system to make you wonder why Bullwinkle's friend is named Rocky the flying squirrel?

I haven't seen that show in a very long time, but I think he only flies 'cause he gets shot out of a cannon. Right?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Tiggum posted:

I haven't seen that show in a very long time, but I think he only flies 'cause he gets shot out of a cannon. Right?
32:15 https://vimeo.com/291415990

The Dutch called their ships "flying boats"...

Rocky was frequently tossed with mighty moose muscle to achieve heights surpassing the greatest rocket. :3:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I knew that flying squirrels existed

I didn't know that there were a variety of species of flying squirrels, including one that's way cuter and weirder than the normal kind

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

steak, in most cases, is not worth the fuss people make over it

don't get me wrong, it can be good and even excellent, but so can a burger or chicken thighs, for that matter.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well done orderer spotted

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I boil my steaks til they're done cooking, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

He got hosed with his life. Marrying Kim was the worst possible choice he coulda made, but he's still the most influential and talented artist of the modern world. The textbooks when covering this period in music will be labled pre and post 808's