Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

vyelkin posted:

the cops are currently torn between their job being to protect capital and their job being to enforce white supremacy

I mean its not a hard call for 99% of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think you’re right that making these measures permanent while doing nothing is a huge red flag.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
white supremacy and capital have been closely linked for decades, supporting one supported the other, but that's starting to break down. and folks, we're going to see some poo poo

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
https://twitter.com/AbigailBimman/status/1492579862955147270

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'll be honest, I did not expect Canada to collapse before USA.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the tea party wouldn't have been successful in largely taking over the republican party without the gigantic contingent of evangelical christian rightwing voters which does not exist in canada so i dunno how these guys plan on taking over poo poo when everybody hates them

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

I'll be honest, I did not expect Canada to collapse before USA.

it rules. I'm trying to ignore how colossally stupid this has all become these days but the past few days have been too enticing to gawk at.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i'm impressed at how little has actually happened since this started

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

paul_soccer12 posted:

the tea party wouldn't have been successful in largely taking over the republican party without the gigantic contingent of evangelical christian rightwing voters which does not exist in canada so i dunno how these guys plan on taking over poo poo when everybody hates them

First Past the Post. They only need to be an organized bloc to take over the Tories, and the Tories only need to be organized to win the election, especially since Canadians vote on autopilot

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Justin: "Someone should DO SOMETHING!!!"

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

"They were saying 'Let's go truckers'"

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Don Pigeon posted:

Justin: "Someone should DO SOMETHING!!!"

the unspecified consequences have been upgraded from "serious" to "very serious."

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

paul_soccer12 posted:

Cons got more votes than the Libs last election

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/Tim_Bousquet/status/1492588793991503879?t=dG-jtQVo8_AJwxZVlYHuAg&s=19

Halifax clown parade going great lol

E:
https://twitter.com/Tim_Bousquet/status/1492590523344986115?t=iHKDHTLac_g3C4JeD_LvpA&s=19

Just getting up on a stage and announcing my Ls to everyone around

Danaru has issued a correction as of 21:08 on Feb 12, 2022

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Frosted Flake posted:

First Past the Post. They only need to be an organized bloc to take over the Tories, and the Tories only need to be organized to win the election, especially since Canadians vote on autopilot

lol if the libs had done proportional voting as promised the PPC would have 21 seats now

https://twitter.com/338Canada/status/1438312772098535425

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Durf posted:

lol if the libs had done proportional voting as promised the PPC would have 21 seats now

https://twitter.com/338Canada/status/1438312772098535425

fpp... good?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

It certainly has worked to keep the chuds out of power the last 3 years.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Piquai Souban posted:

Still very funny that one of the most / only significant moves Ottawa Police made was to hire outsourced crisis PR.

and they blew their load planting a story about how the police haven't acted because they're afraid of a dangerous extremist element within the protest that the police allowed to encamp in the first place

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

everything is always so goddamned dumb, then it gets dumber

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Starsfan posted:

It certainly has worked to keep the chuds out of power the last 3 years.

somehow it doesn't seem to matter at all when it comes to protesting against the government with their chud cop buddies

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

my undemocratic voting system is good because it keeps the wrong people out

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

granted those numbers are based on the current system where a lot of people were voting their 2nd choice of LIB/CON because they were afraid of wasting their vote

I suspect the NDP and PPC numbers would have been even higher with ranked voting

Danaru posted:

Halifax clown parade going great lol

E:
https://twitter.com/Tim_Bousquet/status/1492590523344986115?t=iHKDHTLac_g3C4JeD_LvpA&s=19

Just getting up on a stage and announcing my Ls to everyone around

are all these people hoping to salvage their torpedoed futures via GoFundMe?

I imagine the grifter economy is like Patreon, despite every high profile case raking in the dough, most only have two subscribers bringing in $10 a month

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
it's absolutely true that proportional representation would result in megachud parliamentarians gaining power

but without it, the tories shift further right in order to snag those voters, and the liberals, at least economically, often do the same in order to hoover up tories who feel like the party has gone too far right.

remember that the ndp would have double or more its current tally of seats, and there'd be more than one green (which i don't really care about because they're terrible and dumb but whatever)

RealityWarCriminal posted:

my undemocratic voting system is good because it keeps the wrong people out

yeah this is regrettably part of being an actually representative democracy, some people are always gonna be assholes and that will out.

and im not all "but we should free speech them etc etc" but i think seeing the fuckers out in the open is better than magically being surprised when get poo poo like these truckers

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

the zello chat is trying to mobilize a blocking of one of the bridges, can't wait to see how this goes down.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

yeah, i'm not actually saying that fpp is a good system. but that at this moment in time, if you look at a specific data point, it looks pretty good!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

not really, fpp means when the ppc take over the conservative party then they win a majority with 40% of the vote. under PR basically all those PPC gains come from Con losses (the cons go down by 10 and the PPC go up by 21 so it isn't a straight 1:1 but it's close enough) and in exchange the Liberals are hugely weakened and have to deal with a much stronger NDP. PR also means that's probably the right's ceiling because the right parties combined never break around 40% of the vote, where FPP means as soon as they get their house in order and get to 40% they win a majority and can do whatever they want

keeping the PPC out of parliament isn't worth the perpetual liberal/tory majority merry-go-round

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The other thing is the NDP is being starved out since the Tories passed and Liberals continued that Patriotic Fair Elections Act or whatever that removed the federal allowance for parties based on votes. Both Grits and Tories have big money donors so this was aimed squarely at the NDP and still makes me sick.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyelkin posted:

keeping the PPC out of parliament isn't worth the perpetual liberal/tory majority merry-go-round
I unironically disagree actually

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

the Cons are about to be taken over by the protest brigade since O'Toole just got ousted and the 1/3 of Canadians who support the protesters likely make up a majority of people who will vote on the next Conservative Party leader

better hope this next election isn't the one where the country is fed up with Trudeau enough to decide it's the other guys' turn!

I'd rather have a rump PPC caucus in Parliament than have the PPC take over the Conservative Party and win a majority with 40% of the vote.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

The people cannot be trusted. I recommend that our government be led by a group of elite Laurentian men who own big houses in Toronto and Montreal.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

i know i'm being :tinfoil: but i can't help but think this is being allowed to drag out on purpose. i can come up with a few reasons the provincial and federal government would do this - calls to defund the police are going to be completely sidelined after this, for example.

I don't think it's being allowed to continue, but I do think the protestors are receving tremendous financial support that allows it to continue when most protests normally are running on threadbare support funds, if anything at all. A lot of that money is going to be going towards legal defense for those who were smart enough to already take some for themselves, but I suspect as soon as that tap turns off everything will pretty much evaporate.

none of the people in power want this to continue or are letting it, unless trudeau is playing some kind of advanced space chess here to let the conservatives own goal themselves into a shrinking, shrieking base. That's not unheard of from the Ontario Liberals who came up to work for him just before Wynne got the boot, but I think we do sort of try to comfort ourselves thinking that there are people in power who do have control over the situation and are excercising that control one way or the other.

I tend to believe Mark Blyth who says almost everyone who is wealthy or powerful doesn't know what's going to happen after the next two weeks, let alone two months, or two years. To me people who have influence and power are just winding up wind-up toys and letting them go and seeing what happens. Sometimes they'll march off into their intended target, other times they'll just spin in a circle, and occasionally they'll tip over and inexplicably catch fire.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Feb 12, 2022

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
But Mr MacDonald! What if the average citizen is so envious they threaten to march on our wives and children!

Then I shall build a railway so expensive and long it will occupy them for several dozen years!

*Heritage minute music plays*

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
shout out to the counter-protestor in winnipeg who has a sign saying "They have you fighting a Culture War so you don't fight a Class War"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's because you're the resident shitlib who's happy with our future of a boot stamping a human face forever as long as once in a while a woman or minority gets to wear that boot.

Handing the PPC a handful of seats they can't do anything with is a small price to pay to break the pattern of the libs and CPC passing the reigns back and forth until things all fall apart.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

thunderspanks posted:

the zello chat is trying to mobilize a blocking of one of the bridges, can't wait to see how this goes down.

great success

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

vyelkin posted:

not really, fpp means when the ppc take over the conservative party then they win a majority with 40% of the vote. under PR basically all those PPC gains come from Con losses (the cons go down by 10 and the PPC go up by 21 so it isn't a straight 1:1 but it's close enough) and in exchange the Liberals are hugely weakened and have to deal with a much stronger NDP. PR also means that's probably the right's ceiling because the right parties combined never break around 40% of the vote, where FPP means as soon as they get their house in order and get to 40% they win a majority and can do whatever they want

100%

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Don Pigeon posted:

The people cannot be trusted. I recommend that our government be led by a group of elite Laurentian men who own big houses in Toronto and Montreal.
I vote that it’s done by lottery and the only excluded demographics are elite Laurentian men who own big houses in Toronto and Montreal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
completely unironically, the best thing that could happen to governance in this country would be a fractured and factionalized parliament where accomplishing anything required constant horsetrading and compromise

if some of those factions are absolute loony tunes, so be it. we're not that far off as it is, and at least they'd be marginalized by having to cooperate with everyone else to get anything passed

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
if you're turning against proportional representation now that a party you don't like would gain some seats, you obviously didn't think about your position for all of three seconds. like seriously, what did you think was gonna happen? you live in a country with millions of people who disagree with you, don't care about you, and vote.

if you were always against it then I guess I salute your principled take!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
it's really worth remembering that the nutjob leader of the PPC was a few hundred votes away from being leader of the conservative party. I would much rather have somebody like Mad Max Bernier in Parliament as the head of a 21-seat fringe party than as the head of a 200-seat majority, and maintaining FPTP means the second option is virtually inevitable because of the seesaw nature of Canadian elections.