Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

MikeC posted:

I've come to learn that trying to recover from those mistakes makes for the best of games. The Alfred the Great run I started with Royal Court I started on had England united within a generation of Alfred. I hosed up the succession and left my heir with a lovely part of Essex and 2 brothers holding 2 of the 5 counties. The smart brother somehow ended up with the duchy of Wessex and the inevitable claimant faction rolled into install him. I banked all the money I could and hired as many mercs as possible but I still ended up losing the war and got busted down to Duke and barely managed to hold Essex from the other 2 brothers. Took my meagre forces and two wars to reunite Essex under my rule and had to get my own claimant faction going. The crown passed hands 4 separate times over 10 years with Viking assholes invading from time to time before I finally managed to crush him for good, jail all the dukes and duchesses, revoked over half the duchies in the entire Kingdom before handing it back out to the loyalists. It was pretty satisfying executing the Duchess of York who started the claimant faction against me twice and watching her family rot in the dungeons till they all died.

i killed my super king the other day since he was slightly old (50 and infirm, but still going strong despite everything) by doing a mass release of prisoners to clear my dungeons forgeting he was... sadistic.

Died of a heart attack (from stress) a day later.

i continued with the canonical idea that "there was a jailbreak" and he ended up "killed in the process", his underage heir completely oblivious to the mess his father left him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So what's the current MaA meta? Somebody upthread mentioned that Varangians are amongst the strongest MaA, but I currently have no idea why, or how you are supposed to evaluate their strength.

I've been sucked back in to this game since Royal Court came out, and I must admit that I haven't maintained the OP of this thread. I plan to update it in the next two weeks, are there any good/insightful posts I should link to? Any cool guides outside of SA? If you think something should be part of the OP, just post it/about it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Currently there are way too many claimant/liberty factions and way too few independence factions. When the Byz empire is fighting 5 different internal wars and has 500 soldiers to its name, every single outlying territory should be trying to break away.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Not much of a "requires" if the target can just say no :shrug:

Tamba fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 12, 2022

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Had something really strange happen, one of my dynasty members created a hybrid culture using my culture and it caused all counties to convert to this new culture, including my own capital. So while I still have control over my culture as dynasty head I don't actually control any counties with this culture. It will take 29 years for my steward to convert my capital back to my culture. Pretty annoying for sure.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Torrannor posted:

So what's the current MaA meta? Somebody upthread mentioned that Varangians are amongst the strongest MaA, but I currently have no idea why, or how you are supposed to evaluate their strength.

I've been sucked back in to this game since Royal Court came out, and I must admit that I haven't maintained the OP of this thread. I plan to update it in the next two weeks, are there any good/insightful posts I should link to? Any cool guides outside of SA? If you think something should be part of the OP, just post it/about it.

all MAA are strong enough to crush the AI in terms of just victories if you bother to stack a single type and stack the bonus buildings for it; varangians just have the best combination of cost, attack, pursuit, and accessibility for most european purposes, and barracks can be built almost everywhere. Having a pursuit score is imperative because that's what actually causes casualties; horse archers or heavy cavalry are a great deal stronger than varangians if your domain is all the right terrain type.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I've found the best artifact in the game already.

This expansion is full of great features but I think I'm gonna hold off playing again for just a little bit until a patch hits. There's just enough annoying bugs that it's affecting my experience.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

I Am Fowl posted:

I've found the best artifact in the game already.

This expansion is full of great features but I think I'm gonna hold off playing again for just a little bit until a patch hits. There's just enough annoying bugs that it's affecting my experience.

If so, don't lose that save, because you've discovered a prototype sonichu medallion and it should be the focal point of your game now.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
This is my favorite artifact I've acquired so far:

Other people don't seem to share my enthusiasm when I try to give it to them though.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

TjyvTompa posted:

It's not the frequency that is the problem, for me, it is that they create and join factions despite being at +70 relationship. The way to stop them from joining factions is to have a high relationship with them, what else is the point of relationship? I just want to make it clear, every single vassal that can join a faction (not your ally or prohibited from joining a faction due to other reasons) will join a faction no matter if they like you or not. This is not how it is supposed to work.

As my empire grows larger it will get more and more impossible to keep it together since I will have bigger and bigger civil wars each succession. It's kind of game-breaking to be honest and I am getting really salty about it. As I said I checked the title history for the other AI empires and all of them have "installed by faction demand" as the most common succession since it is impossible to win a war that every single vassal joins no matter how powerful the rulers demesne is. Once you have had 1 of each type of faction created and defeated it will stop though so if you survive that initial onslaught you will be able to play without issue until your ruler dies.
It almost seems like there is some kind of issue where the game forces each type of faction to be created and once it has been done it stops. When old vassals die and get replaced the new ones never create or join factions.
My rear end in a top hat cousin somehow was able to have a claim on the kingdom of italy (hollowing me out and taking my key duchy under the kingdom of italia) and enforce it despite me having a hook on him. What's the point of blackmail if I can't use it to keep you in line?

I would've crushed him, but of course this all happened while I was in the midst of being destroyed over in Jerusalem and the motherfucker didn't go on the crusade.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Facing some Difficulties in my Zoroastrian Persia game. After two centuries we've got much of Persia under our control and things in the 11th century so far went extremely well under my Quick, Giant Shah who lived to be 85 and was beloved by everyone despite being shy af, but when he died his Jainist grandson inherited and everyone HATES this shithead, so I'm trying (and failing) to deal with five simultaneous wars of indepdence or usurpation.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Whew, yeah factions are wild nowadays. I remember internal conflict being common in the HRE and Byzantine empire but now it's really just a constant revolving door of civil war and deposed leaders. It kinda sucks actually being a vassal in one of those big empires too because if an outside threat tries to go after your land your liege can't do anything and even if you join the war you don't get to call in your own allies because you're not the war leader.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
As the Dauraan empire I am finding it helpful to just constantly find secrets in my own court so I can blackmail my vassals, who simply cannot stop cheating on their spouses left and right, when a faction starts to build up.

Seriously the infidelity is staggering. Everybody. Everybody!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Anything with a good blend of damage/toughness/pursuit. Heavy Infantry (and Varangians especially) are usually the go-to because Barracks can be built basically anywhere, so it's easy to boost them. If you're Norse and going with Varangians, the Pillage dynasty legacy lets you increase each stack by an extra 2, which makes them even more powerful.

I've started playing with Monaspas (Georgian cultural Heavy Cavalry), and think they are pretty great. Slightly less damage than Cataphracts, but instead of a damage bonus on plains and a huge penalty in hills/mountains, they get a large bonus in hills/mountains, with a smaller winter penalty too. The only problem with them being Heavy Cavalry with a bonus in hills/mountains is that you can't build the cavalry boosting buildings in hills/mountains.

If you're playing in India, Lenkas are really good. High damage (boosted by another +2 because of Wootz Steel), extremely high pursuit, and then they get a 20% bonus to base damage in forests/jungles, which there are a lot of in India. And because they are Heavy Infantry, you can build Barracks everywhere to boost them.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I haven't found any artifacts that were funny by themselves, but I did have my uncle go to war against me over a loving language manual, which is sort of hilarious to me.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I raided Alba and stole the Stone of Scone. As soon as I can have a court gonna sit on that while flipping off the Scots.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

Facing some Difficulties in my Zoroastrian Persia game. After two centuries we've got much of Persia under our control and things in the 11th century so far went extremely well under my Quick, Giant Shah who lived to be 85 and was beloved by everyone despite being shy af, but when he died his Jainist grandson inherited and everyone HATES this shithead, so I'm trying (and failing) to deal with five simultaneous wars of indepdence or usurpation.

Do they hate him because he's Jain? Can he convert to Zoroastrianism? Probably too late to end the wars, but maybe it will stop new wars.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I wanted to check out the new dlc but it just crashes on startup for me. I make it to the “initializing game” part and that’s it. I haven’t played in a while but I remember having tons of crashes when it first came out, although that was somewhat fixed once I realized it had been set to use my integrated graphics instead of my good GPU. It’s ran very smoothly ever since the early patches, so I don’t know what the deal is. Guess I’ll check back next month or whatever :(

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
How exactly do I make money after feudalizing? My previous ruler feudalized the Scandinavian empire, and his heir after taking over has been forced to mobilize the army way more than I thought, and is in constant debt. I can no longer raid for money, and my army is costing me an arm and a leg. I'm going down the steward tree but it's not helping, and my organized ásatrú head of faith doesn't have any gold to give out.

Here's the economic situation:

Do I just need to give in to every faction demand to not raise my army and focus on building up wealth at a snails pace of 6.6 gold per month?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

wizardofloneliness posted:

I wanted to check out the new dlc but it just crashes on startup for me. I make it to the “initializing game” part and that’s it. I haven’t played in a while but I remember having tons of crashes when it first came out, although that was somewhat fixed once I realized it had been set to use my integrated graphics instead of my good GPU. It’s ran very smoothly ever since the early patches, so I don’t know what the deal is. Guess I’ll check back next month or whatever :(

Got any mods in? You didn't mention any, but the crash timing is pretty identical to a crash I had where a mod was in that was out of date. (It had updated on workshop, but not in my hard drive)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Scandinavian empire, and his heir after taking over has been forced to mobilize the army way more than I thought, and is in constant debt.

Don't raise all your levies, just your Men at Arms. They should be a mix of Varangian and siege units, and even before you buff them can easily take on armies twice their size. Once you get them buffed, you can take on armies 10x as large.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
It's almost 6AM and I've spent the past 4 hours at 5 speed just clicking a billion times but I finally did it, I formed India. I realized the way to beat the factions is to pump out endless amount of women that you can marry off to all your vassals to get alliances with them. Since you can have 4 wifes as hindu it was not that hard once I got my breeding program set up. Marrying off everyone to the correct people was a complete chore and I think I broke my mouse, hand and arm doing it over and over and over again.
To form India you need to completely control the Rajastan, Decca and Bengali empires and be a saint. Started as Pandya on the southern tip of India in 867. I am broken, good night.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Otto Pandya.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

wizardofloneliness posted:

Are you playing on Steam? Make sure you've disabled betas in your options as apparently this is causing issues on start up. I've also found its a lot more unstable generally and I need to try loading twice before it will actually start.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

binge crotching posted:

Don't raise all your levies, just your Men at Arms. They should be a mix of Varangian and siege units, and even before you buff them can easily take on armies twice their size. Once you get them buffed, you can take on armies 10x as large.

Would mixing in some Huscarls for the screen stat be a good idea? They're also heavy infantry, so they benefit from the same buffs. Or is it "all in on varangian veterans, just never lose a battle"?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Tamba posted:

Would mixing in some Huscarls for the screen stat be a good idea? They're also heavy infantry, so they benefit from the same buffs. Or is it "all in on varangian veterans, just never lose a battle"?

Both varangian veterans and huscarls are heavy infantry so if you run into someone going all-in on skirmishers you could be in for a bad time. I am not sure if the AI actually does that but in India for example every single AI goes all in on paiks which is a hard counter against elephants so even if the elephants are incredibly powerful you will lose the battle hard.
I would suggest to check what kind of army composition your neighbors have and buy your men-at-arms to counter theirs.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I tried doing the Indo Norse thing but man it takes quite a while to build enough tolerance to create a hybrid culture.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Getting a bug when playing as the Karlings in the 1066 start

I am properly listed as the House Head in all the menus but it says I can't select legacies because I'm not the House Head

legacies are still being selected by the AI though, I just don't get to pick them

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Boy I hate succession laws. Started in Bohemia and it goes to oldest in the line, which was like my 4 brothers. So instead of going to someone young, it just goes to some like 3 years younger, who then dies in a couple years. Rinse and repeat through like 4 kings in 10 years.

Won’t let me change it because we don’t have anything else discovered. Maybe soon I can finally pass this thing down to some under 50.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
My soulmate wife got murdered and the popup was like "Not one day too soon!" as if I hated her? Just a random bug?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Ms Adequate posted:

Exact same tihng happned to me. Fucker ran off to the Tarim Basin, married a 45 year old woman and converted to Confucianism.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

fuf posted:

My soulmate wife got murdered and the popup was like "Not one day too soon!" as if I hated her? Just a random bug?

Maybe she was your soulmate and your rival? But yeah, probably a bug.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Haven't played vanilla since a bit after release, started a new game as the big Muslim duke in Spain. Focused on gobbling up my neighbors while hoping the Catholic kings up north stay divided. Going surprisingly well so far, one expanded to Lisbon, then ate poo poo to a peasant uprising that then requested to become my vassal. Just gotta snap up Valencia then I can start picking off territory.

Also the artifact system is fun, most of my decor comes from one woman who just keeps asking for funds and then leaving for Africa.

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 13, 2022

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Boy I hate succession laws. Started in Bohemia and it goes to oldest in the line, which was like my 4 brothers. So instead of going to someone young, it just goes to some like 3 years younger, who then dies in a couple years. Rinse and repeat through like 4 kings in 10 years.

Won’t let me change it because we don’t have anything else discovered. Maybe soon I can finally pass this thing down to some under 50.

Get to absolute crown authority and then you can designate heir for 1000 prestige irrespective of succession laws or cultural stuff. Not really possible with the first guy but I think it's possible on the second or third depending on how long they last.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

fuf posted:

She had probably been unfaithful. People are complaining about it on the bug reports forum that even your soulmate sleeps with others.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sheep posted:

Get to absolute crown authority and then you can designate heir for 1000 prestige irrespective of succession laws or cultural stuff. Not really possible with the first guy but I think it's possible on the second or third depending on how long they last.

Ah thanks, I didn’t realize that’s an option. Although that will be tough to keep up.

Different question, does the game let you create new empires, or are you locked in? Like if I have three kingdoms, but one is supposed to be in the HRE, one in the carpathian, and one in the southern Baltic, can I make a brand new empire? If not, I guess as Bohemia I shouldn’t waste my time trying to expand east.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Ah thanks, I didn’t realize that’s an option. Although that will be tough to keep up.

Different question, does the game let you create new empires, or are you locked in? Like if I have three kingdoms, but one is supposed to be in the HRE, one in the carpathian, and one in the southern Baltic, can I make a brand new empire? If not, I guess as Bohemia I shouldn’t waste my time trying to expand east.

Yes, there are decisions to create a new kingdom from several duchies or a new empire from several kingdoms, as long as that option isn't toggled off in the game rules. Aside from costing a lot of gold and prestige and some piety, the main hurdle for the empire decision is that you'll need to be at Exalted Among Men fame and have a realm size of 120, or 80 plus own three kingdom titles directly. Here's the wiki page for reference.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tamba posted:

Screen is only a useful stat when you're retreating, so if you focus on damage/toughness you'll win battles, and pursuit helps you kill them as the other side is fleeing. Varangians have more than Huscarls do, which is why they are preferred. Huscarls are perfectly fine units, and definitely better than the default heavy infantry, but just not as good as Varangians.

TjyvTompa posted:

Both varangian veterans and huscarls are heavy infantry so if you run into someone going all-in on skirmishers you could be in for a bad time. I am not sure if the AI actually does that but in India for example every single AI goes all in on paiks which is a hard counter against elephants so even if the elephants are incredibly powerful you will lose the battle hard.
I would suggest to check what kind of army composition your neighbors have and buy your men-at-arms to counter theirs.

The only time you really need to worry about that when you're running pure Varangians is if you're fighting in north Africa or Arabia. Mubarizuns are a hard counter to other heavy infantry, a great unit in their own right, and the AI builds a lot of them.

AnEdgelord posted:

Getting a bug when playing as the Karlings in the 1066 start

I am properly listed as the House Head in all the menus but it says I can't select legacies because I'm not the House Head

legacies are still being selected by the AI though, I just don't get to pick them

Dynasty head picks legacies, not house head.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Are you playing on Steam? Make sure you've disabled betas in your options as apparently this is causing issues on start up. I've also found its a lot more unstable generally and I need to try loading twice before it will actually start.

No mods or betas, but disabling v-sync seemed to do it. I can actually make it to the character screen now, so now I just have my ever-present problem of deciding who to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

fuf posted:

Someone murdered my wife and I had the ability to abduct them. So I did and then sacrificed them at the next Blot. Was cathartic.