Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Google Butt posted:

So how are controller players liking this so far

Totally fine on my sharpshooter. Every once in a while he’ll fire a my arrow rain skill at a really stupid spot but oh well. I imagine any of the melee classes are totally cool on pad. I don’t think I’d want to do something with a lot point target aoes like bard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

I switched to mkb :v:

Yeah, I was really enjoying controller gameplay but now I'm getting to the part of the game where I need to use quest items and do gathering and it's bad, simply awful, who the gently caress designed this, why does it work this way?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Google Butt posted:

It’s perfectly playable and I personally prefer it. You can change almost everything to suit your play style.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think part of the reason I'm falling off Paladin (at least as a solo class) is that past level 24 or so I feel like it takes a lot longer to kill things all of a sudden. Will that be true for other classes too or is it just a thing support classes run into?

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

I’ve never had to wait more than 30sec for chaos dungeon matchmaking at any item level so far

That rules, thanks!

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Khorne posted:

It's fine. Bard is fairly boring to level because she effectively casts AoEs that tick things to death. Which is a bit different from something like berserker that one shots everything while moving ahead at full speed or most of the other dps classes. Lots of the msq time is running around and pressing g though, so it's not as big of a deal. Especially if you haven't done it before -- the time difference is neligible for people who aren't speed running but the fun level might be higher on other classes.

For a first character, I'd recommend a dps and then once you unlock the vern passes boost up a bard if you want one and switch to it as a main. But, it's up to you. Playing support solo isn't miserable in this game it's just a bit slower (minute(s) in chaos dungeons, an hour or two for the msq).

I tried the Shadowhunter and Gunslinger which is more fun and boosting a bard up later is a solid point, I'll think about it, thanks.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Harrow posted:

I think part of the reason I'm falling off Paladin (at least as a solo class) is that past level 24 or so I feel like it takes a lot longer to kill things all of a sudden. Will that be true for other classes too or is it just a thing support classes run into?

I'm a F.Gun and it definitely starts to spike a bit in the mid-20's for me. Not super seriously but it's noticeable.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Harrow posted:

Berserker seems to kill everything that isn't a boss pretty much instantly all the way to 50 at least. But I guess that's the point of the class.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

QuantaStarFire posted:

Yeah, I was really enjoying controller gameplay but now I'm getting to the part of the game where I need to use quest items and do gathering and it's bad, simply awful, who the gently caress designed this, why does it work this way?

in combat it's perfectly fine, but the issue is the entire leveling experience is like 10% combat 90% menu manipulation and running back and forth while hammering interact and mkb just does that poo poo better because the UI does not adjust to controller specific behavior in any way - they just let you use the analog stick as a lovely mouse

I might actually go back to try it again once I hit 50 and powerpass up some alts - but given what I've seen of the gearing up, even that will still want a lot of world questing

it's not horrible really, the game's ui just isn't made for it and they didn't want to spend the time and money to make it super nice to use

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Adolf Glitter posted:

Everyone is talking about arks and I'm at Lv 35 and no idea that there were even arks in the game lol

:same:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Since I can't be a big sword dommy mommy, I feel like the three classes I want to try are Sorceress, Bard, and Shadowhunter. But I can't decide which to start with.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

victrix posted:

in combat it's perfectly fine, but the issue is the entire leveling experience is like 10% combat 90% menu manipulation and running back and forth while hammering interact and mkb just does that poo poo better because the UI does not adjust to controller specific behavior in any way - they just let you use the analog stick as a lovely mouse

I might actually go back to try it again once I hit 50 and powerpass up some alts - but given what I've seen of the gearing up, even that will still want a lot of world questing

it's not horrible really, the game's ui just isn't made for it and they didn't want to spend the time and money to make it super nice to use

But quest menus are easy on controller? Just hammer left stick. Every once in a while it may ask me a question but I just keep the pointer in the middle of the screen and always select the first option so who cares.

Hammer left stick will accept, advance, and complete quests. Just as fast/easy as mkb in my opinion

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

shimmy shimmy posted:

How are people liking Scrapper,? Fist punching classes are usually my jam but I've heard some mixed reviews.

I just hit 50 with it and it's... okay. It definitely seemed to peak in the mid-30's with the explodey stompy foot and ground punching stuff but I feel like I've fallen off a bit - though it's hard to tell without dps meters. Enemy hp might've just outscaled player progression at this point.

Google Butt posted:

I've been using a controller throughout but I still have my m&k in front of me for any menu stuff. It does work, but ground-targeted effects are a pain and there's a lot of jank with the default setup. As for just running around punching stuff though? It's amazing.

Also - having just hit 50, is there anything I should be doing immediately? I just finished the hoverboard robot stuff and I know I've got a whole new continent to plow through before I get a couple power passes. Should I be optimizing my playtime by clearing chaos dungeons or whatever other activities there are at this point? Can I skip the rest of Arthetine and just go to North Vern so I can play some other classes?

acumen fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 12, 2022

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

victrix posted:

I'm hoping steam deck will change that for a lot of games. Give devs incentive to have controller support.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Played for about 10 minutes, I am assuming that because it is MMO based there is no true pause, or did I just not find it? I can't play a game where I cannot just press ESC and walk away for an hour or whatever.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Google Butt posted:

For most of the game it absolutely owns and is much more enjoyable than keyboard. There's a bunch of minor dumb stuff that I can't figure out where/how it's mapped to controller and you'll still need to use keyboard for that maybe. I also needed to remap all of the main attack abilities since the defaults are laid out in a very bizarre manner. If you hate point and click to move or have bad carpal or cubital tunnel issues with your dominant hand, then a controller is a super good comprise imo

2DCAT fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 12, 2022

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Good Citizen posted:

But quest menus are easy on controller? Just hammer left stick. Every once in a while it may ask me a question but I just keep the pointer in the middle of the screen and always select the first option so who cares.

Hammer left stick will accept, advance, and complete quests. Just as fast/easy as mkb in my opinion

No, when you go to use a quest item using the controller, what happens is that it will pop up a context menu asking you whether you want to use the item or cancel, which is like... why would I do the input if I didn't want to use it?!?!?! :psyduck:

Like, I don't understand why I need a tiny context menu to pop up that I have to move the cursor onto using the right stick and then press down the right stick to confirm before it will use my quest item. Like, who thought this was a good idea?

Edit: I also don't understand why the hunting knife doesn't snap to hunt targets the same way that targeted combat skills target to enemies and poo poo. Makes it a huge pain to target those tiny rabbits and poo poo.

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 12, 2022

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Good Citizen posted:

I needed to swap out the standard "g" to something else because pressing down on the hammer left stick was incredibly dumb to me. Ended up swapping it with the down button (that was in a weird controller sub menu) , which as the default voip talk button which is dumb and doesn't need to be mapped

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Pain of Mind posted:

Played for about 10 minutes, I am assuming that because it is MMO based there is no true pause, or did I just not find it? I can't play a game where I cannot just press ESC and walk away for an hour or whatever.

It's an mmo, there is no pause.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The controls in this game are probably the shittiest I've ever encountered in aloooong time. Like before people figured out WASD.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Mordiceius posted:

Since I can't be a big sword dommy mommy, I feel like the three classes I want to try are Sorceress, Bard, and Shadowhunter. But I can't decide which to start with.

I got bard to 18 so far and while it seems fun enough, the Sorceress I made last night was hilariously fun immediately obliterating all the baddies around Anduin after skipping the tutorial. Definitely noticeably more firepower and visual flair. Shadowhunter does have the demon stand and is supposed to be brain dead easy button mashing in dungeons and raids, which is tempting also for learning the game. My bard just got a huge channeled laser beam, and I'm getting used to comboing her abilities. I've cast my heal/damage buff maybe twice.

I'd probably just boost the bard. Only reason to level a support the long way is if you really like their style/effects and want to learn all their abilities as you go. Though bards mash G just as fast as everyone else.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Pain of Mind posted:

You can't pause the game for all million+ players at once, no. But every map while leveling is full of quest hubs and noncombat spaces where you can just leave whenever. I guess there are sometimes queues to get back in at launch but that shouldn't be a long term issue.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

bagrada posted:

I got bard to 18 so far and while it seems fun enough, the Sorceress I made last night was hilariously fun immediately obliterating all the baddies around Anduin after skipping the tutorial. Definitely noticeably more firepower and visual flair. Shadowhunter does have the demon stand and is supposed to be brain dead easy button mashing in dungeons and raids, which is tempting also for learning the game. My bard just got a huge channeled laser beam, and I'm getting used to comboing her abilities. I've cast my heal/damage buff maybe twice.

I'd probably just boost the bard. Only reason to level a support the long way is if you really like their style/effects and want to learn all their abilities as you go. Though bards mash G just as fast as everyone else.

Yeah. Was thinking of going either Sorc or Shadowhunter to start and then boosting bard. Guess I'll just flip a coin on that though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

acumen posted:

Also - having just hit 50, is there anything I should be doing immediately? I just finished the hoverboard robot stuff and I know I've got a whole new continent to plow through before I get a couple power passes. Should I be optimizing my playtime by clearing chaos dungeons or whatever other activities there are at this point? Can I skip the rest of Arthetine and just go to North Vern so I can play some other classes?
it's absolutely worth doing 2 chaos dungeons and guardian raids the moment you can, you'll shoot from 250 ilevel to 300-320 in half an hour.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 12, 2022

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The controls in this game are probably the shittiest I've ever encountered in aloooong time. Like before people figured out WASD.

I still contend that Tree of Savior has the worst controls of any KMMO I've played because they designed the game around keyboard-only. In 2016.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

my experience so far:

I made a shadow hunter because Im a giant edgelord.

The higher level my gear is, the fewer clothes appear on my model. she's currently in booty shorts and thighhighs, and the SH's hips arent actually attached in any meaningful way to her body.

I turn into a demon and wreck bosses.

I appear to be shuttling an npc around. I quit paying attention to the text about 20-30 fetch quests ago, so Im not sure but I think I might be this priest NPC's servant? He keeps showing up and killstealing after I put all the demon work in. I hate his voice actor.

I purposefully avoid looking at guides because I loving loathe the concept of cookie cutter optimal mmo builds, but i have all these (currently inactive) systems that i can feel hanging over my head damocles style, about to ruin my fun by vomiting numbers all over me.

this is a very korean game.

im glad i didnt pay for it.

edit: my inventory is 90% health potions of varying levels.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 12, 2022

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

QuantaStarFire posted:

No, when you go to use a quest item using the controller, what happens is that it will pop up a context menu asking you whether you want to use the item or cancel, which is like... why would I do the input if I didn't want to use it?!?!?! :psyduck:

Like, I don't understand why I need a tiny context menu to pop up that I have to move the cursor onto using the right stick and then press down the right stick to confirm before it will use my quest item. Like, who thought this was a good idea?

Edit: I also don't understand why the hunting knife doesn't snap to hunt targets the same way that targeted combat skills target to enemies and poo poo. Makes it a huge pain to target those tiny rabbits and poo poo.

?

You must have some setting weird. Usually quest items for me are just RB + left dpad. I still use my trackpad for stuff like inventory management and some vendors but otherwise I find controller faster than mkb for everything in the game and I’m already past the ilvl460 ocean wall

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

2DCAT posted:

For most of the game it absolutely owns and is much more enjoyable than keyboard. There's a bunch of minor dumb stuff that I can't figure out where/how it's mapped to controller and you'll still need to use keyboard for that maybe. I also needed to remap all of the main attack abilities since the defaults are laid out in a very bizarre manner. If you hate point and click to move or have bad carpal or cubital tunnel issues with your dominant hand, then a controller is a super good comprise imo

Basically it will be fine to gamestream to my tv, use an xbone controller and a wireless bt keyboard for the really annoying menu poo poo?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

it's absolutely worth doing 2 chaos dungeons and guardian raids the moment you can, you'll shoot from 250 ilevel to 300-320 in half an hour.

Perfect. Thank you

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Google Butt posted:

Basically it will be fine to gamestream to my tv, use an xbone controller and a wireless bt keyboard for the really annoying menu poo poo?

For most classes absolutely yes. I have a gyro mouse for some management activities when playing on tv but it’s good

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mordiceius posted:

Everything goes Boom on the sorc so far to the early 30 levels. Cant comment on the others as I havent tried them

Noirex
May 30, 2006

There's like 5000 different types of currency, collectables, a card game (??) and the story is completely incomprehensible....but man it's all so pretty and the combat is fun. Didn't mind getting a cheap founders pack for it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I do like that the assassin "view story" intro is narrated by a male assassin. Even the class is female only.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i've been using mkb the whole time and controls are fine. haven't had any issues at all.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

It's weird how bamboozled people seem to be about what this game actually is.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

FFXIV Porn posted:

these are listed as effects in my stronghold and i can research to get more of them but i don't know what they are. what are these.

still want to know what the hell this is though. no one seems to know and it's impossible to google.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am live with more Lost Ark! Hoping to get to level 50 today. Drops are enabled as well! http://twitch.tv/omgitsbees

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
My Crystalline aura keeps bugging out and vanishing :(

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
nnumber go up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I know it’s probably not efficient to put all my points into Leap Attack as Gunlancer but it sure is satisfying as gently caress.

Mariomario goomba stomping fools.