Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I think it’s a similar argument being upset that Facebook is subsidizing a fantastic vr headset, possibly driving anyone else out of the market because they have had billions in unrelated profit streams. I think the difference here is MS’s battle chest is not derived from selling your personal information but from cloud / enterprise earnings, and they are also an established player in this market.

If they get too greedy Valve is still right behind them, along with Sony to pick up the pieces of our broken hearts. But when Facebook eventually fucks everyone over there’s not a lot of established competitors to take the consumer vr hardware torch outside of Sony and their locked ecosystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Game pass is good because it lets me play a heap of second rate titles I'd never pay for. So it actually costs me more money having game pass but I don't feel bad about uninstalling games after ten minutes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I spend very little time thinking about the netflix for games business model, but I'm glad it fits the needs of a certain percentage of the consumer market and I'm sure some elements of it will lead to interesting change in the industry. otoh, the current landscape of media content being locked up in numerous monthly subscription services has led to a far worse consumer environment than we had even during the 1990s cable tv package days.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I spend very little time thinking about the netflix for games business model, but I'm glad it fits the needs of a certain percentage of the consumer market and I'm sure some elements of it will lead to interesting change in the industry. otoh, the current landscape of media content being locked up in numerous monthly subscription services has led to a far worse consumer environment than we had even during the 1990s cable tv package days.

Nobody who lived through the 1990s would say this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TheScott2K posted:

I feel like I've gotten my fill of Forza's constant affirmation. I'm ready for a car game to tell me I've dishonored myself and my vehicle for hitting those cones again.

Not enough to get me to buy a PS5 though. Now starting the Get A Series X process

I got banned by forza for a week for “child endangerment” because I wrote “free candy” on the side of a van so I got my own issues with forza lemme tell ya.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Most Wanted 2005 whips rear end.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TV was just free on the 90s. We had cable in Australia but it was $70 a month if you wanted more than basic.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ok Comboomer posted:

They’re afraid it’ll become the only game in town and M$ will eventually start charging ppl $30/mo to access Skyrim

They should put you in jail for wanting to play Skyrim tbh

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

priznat posted:

I got banned by forza for a week for “child endangerment” because I wrote “free candy” on the side of a van so I got my own issues with forza lemme tell ya.

Edgy

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

priznat posted:

That is pretty drat funny.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

JBP posted:

TV was just free on the 90s. We had cable in Australia but it was $70 a month if you wanted more than basic.

In Vancouver if you didn't pay for cable you didn't get anything except for a very fuzzy CBC. Didn't really understand the concept of free to air tv until I moved down under.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lammasu posted:

It is, it was a really stupid joke and apparently it’s setup to autoban people for that. And insinuate they are a sex predator!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the main concern id have with a gamepass model becoming more standard would be less pricing/media ownership, and more whether it'd be bad for smaller devs, ie what's been happening with music streaming

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pretty sure devs of all sizes love Game Pass. Not only do they get a huge upfront check for putting their game on the service, many say it actually leads to increased sales.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All I know is it’s good for me, the Xbox haver

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I am also very concerned about this style of posting.

I don’t recall saying good luck concerned

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If you think it's Netflix for games your an idiot. What it is, is a subscription to a buffet in your neighborhood where they regularly rotate dishes in and out to keep it fresh, as well as always having the latest and greatest fad.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The season pass tickets for six flags are leading to a very concerning market for amusement parks,

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Larry Parrish posted:

The season pass tickets for six flags are leading to a very concerning market for amusement parks,

That's not how media delivery works.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

feels like we’re heading for a terrible situation where you’ll only be able to buy games from one of the three companies that you’re only able to buy consoles from. Smdh

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

By what logic is the streaming era worse for the consumer than the cable TV era? This is nonsense.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Quantum of Phallus posted:

feels like we’re heading for a terrible situation where you’ll only be able to buy games from one of the three companies that you’re only able to buy consoles from. Smdh

Yeah exactly. The interesting part is going to be what the FEC reckons of the ABK acquisition. They'll send it through in the end but it's an interesting situation that looks quite similar to vertically integrated film studios and cinemas way back when.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wasn’t being serious, I really don’t care

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

I buy my games from Walmart.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You can't buy games, you only purchase a license to run it on a certain platform. The ship to give a poo poo about this state of affairs sailed before I was born bro. Don't look at the currently improving times and use it as an excuse to suddenly become such a moralist lol.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wasn’t being serious, I really don’t care

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Like all goons I only play the video game I preordered exactly one time so idgaf.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

By playing on PC I can stay on winning with game pass and play some games from indie-shops like Steam, Epic and Gog.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

[Loses the argument] well actually I was trolling.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Please don’t post fail, and cringe in this hallowed thread

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The joke was that people are crying about the consolidation of games when there’s only three consoles to buy. Please think before you post any fail again

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm now doing the bizarro thing where I play games on Xbox which I used to play on PC because I can't buy video cards for less than 3-4 series X and the next generation GPUs will probably both be equally expensive and require a dedicated power generator on top :woop:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orcane posted:

I'm now doing the bizarro thing where I play games on Xbox which I used to play on PC because I can't buy video cards for less than 3-4 series X and the next generation GPUs will probably both be equally expensive and require a dedicated power generator on top :woop:

Welcome to poverty gang

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Larry Parrish posted:

your an idiot.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

priznat posted:

It is, it was a really stupid joke and apparently it’s setup to autoban people for that. And insinuate they are a sex predator!

We need to stop treating sex offenders they are some kind of supernatural monsters. Like I remember at this monster truck show they haid a Monster High tie in for some reason and were giving out monster truck plushies. It had a design on it that kind of looked like a design some pedophiles use and people were acting like it would cause kids to get molested.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What in the gently caress is going on in this thread tonight

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

winning, as per

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Escobarbarian posted:

What in the gently caress is going on in this thread tonight

Well I'm in kind of a bad mood because I had to dog sit for my sister again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Played a few hours of Sea of Thieves with the friends today, it's really good