Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like this is a tough argument to make as an American. By this logic, the US has carried out acts of war against NATO allies.

I don't approve of that either. Not one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Sekenr posted:

Rusdia is not going to attack Ukraine. They love it when everyone is livid and will try to keep it like that permanently. Embassies are evacuating, 4 months from now theyll try to return, russia will shush them away agan. That will kinda ruin Ukraine and the west will get tired of being nervous all the time and say gently caress it you won.

ah i see. putin will be defeated by the american small attention span

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean, if there were actors looking to obtain manpads for terrorism, they could get literally unlimited numbers from Syria, Libya. They use them to blow up individual guys.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It's the ideal time to invade Ukraine in absolutely every different perspective from weather, politics, current events, military, etc.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

It's the ideal time to invade Ukraine in absolutely every different perspective from weather, politics, current events, military, etc.

hell let's all invade ukraine. see you there!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Poland has opened its border with Ukraine for Americans.

https://twitter.com/christopherjm/status/1492602687053082624

KLM has suspended flights to Ukraine. Who was your carrier, Mobby?

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/02/12/klm-suspends-flights-to-ukraine-airline-2-a76361
Wizzair, I'm sure they aren't canceling poo poo until missiles are flying :getin:

I'll might abort the trip if things keep escalating (and don't pop off before then) but yeah it's not just a vacation for shita and giggles so it's not an easy decision.

steinrokkan posted:

Stingers are antiquated, and the Soviets already knew how to counteract then in the Afghan war, so that doesn't seem like such a big deal... The question with javelins is, would the troops even be able to use them? Did they have enough time? Were they even given enough to do some test shooting?
I'd imagine the Stingers are also upgraded since the 80s? They'll have countermeasures of course but could still be useful against helicopters. My main concern is if they have any real AA capability left. Leaving Russia full air superiority would be a nightmare.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Maybe we'll be able to reform Czechoslovakia and grab back Transcarpathian Ruthenia as well

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

There is nothing to be gained by invading Ukraine other than a war that Rissia might lose. And there is much tension to be created if they sort of keep it like that.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

i hope russians realize that if putin invades ukraine they will have to deal with "invade ukraine" jokes all the time from lazy comedians and dads trying to be funny any time they go abroad and consume foreign media that mentions russia. is it really worth it?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

hell let's all invade ukraine. see you there!

Heh. We shouldn't but if you are Putin it's the ideal time to order the invasion. Waiting any longer will make it difficult. Way more difficult.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I cannot actually find any details on inventory lists supplied by US to Ukraine directly. Javelins we’re from Estonia, and Stingers were from Lithuania.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sekenr posted:

There is nothing to be gained by invading Ukraine other than a war that Rissia might lose. And there is much tension to be created if they sort of keep it like that.

Basically, this is true, but it hinges on Putin having all his marbles intact, and also putting his long term goals ahead of whatever short term crises he might perceive as having at home. Also he might believe that he hosed up enough in turning a previously placid Europe against him that realistically he's about to be besieged by hostile peers, and therefore he must grab as much territory as possible while he can. Of course whatever his reasoning, and whatever his aim, he's the one at fault, and there is no excuse for his behaviour.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've found the nigh exclusive public emphasis on the provision of Javelins to be odd and don't know whether that is just a quirk of the media coverage. Buffing Ukraine's anti-air capabilities is just as important and it looks like some amount of Stingers have been sent, just without the same fanfare.

Javelins is what Ukraine needed in 2014 but didn't get because Obama didn't want to upset Putin.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ukraine in 2014 was in no state to defend itself even if it had the most advanced arms in the world. You are forgetting that at the time it was a hotly contested question whether the army would even stand with the Maidan, or if it would help Yanukovich hold onto power.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

steinrokkan posted:

Stingers are antiquated, and the Soviets already knew how to counteract then in the Afghan war, so that doesn't seem like such a big deal... The question with javelins is, would the troops even be able to use them? Did they have enough time? Were they even given enough to do some test shooting?

As for Javelins, they have been delivered to Ukraine since months ago. With western instructors in the country first giving training to Ukrainian officers who then train their own men, I would expect there has been time to train operators to use them at least in theory. How many have had an opportunity to fire a hot round at a practise target is another matter.

And for Stinger, the Strelas and Iglas that ex-USSR armies use are just as 'antiquated'. All infrared homing missiles can be countered for, but that doesn't matter. They don't give an explicit warning like radar guided missiles, so they are always dangerous to low flying aircraft. And even when a helicopter or an attack aircraft has time to use flares, they only carry so many of them. A ground unit with lots of MANPADS has a means of keeping enemy choppers and ground attack planes at a distance, or inflicting losses on them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Yureina posted:

I don't approve of that either. Not one bit.
I suppose that's fair. Though it kind of got me thinking of what even is election interference. Like, some rich foreigner interfering with your election and some rich domestic rear end in a top hat doing the same isn't really meaningfully different on its own, the only thing that should really matter is what kind of policies their interference results in. Some alternate universe Putin whose only desire was to push America out of Europe by convincing Europe it didn't need America, through persistent support for equitable economic development and diplomacy and the anti-American parties that would support that, would probably have been a much better influence than any of our domestic rich people.

Obviously that isn't who he is, the closest we've got to that are some extremely milquetoast pro-EU politicians with no real will to push for any positive vision.

steinrokkan posted:

Basically, this is true, but it hinges on Putin having all his marbles intact, and also putting his long term goals ahead of whatever short term crises he might perceive as having at home. Also he might believe that he hosed up enough in turning a previously placid Europe against him that realistically he's about to be besieged by hostile peers, and therefore he must grab as much territory as possible while he can. Of course whatever his reasoning, and whatever his aim, he's the one at fault, and there is no excuse for his behaviour.
Yeah, it's definitely been a gently caress up. Few in Europe would really give much of a poo poo if he had just acted nice with everyone on his western border. Western Europe wouldn't really pay attention, and would instead just focus on America loving things up in Europe's immediate neighborhood, while presumably Eastern Europe would increasingly let bygones be bygones if Russia was a trustworthy business partner. He could've still been just as much of a poo poo or even more towards everyone else, as long as it was absolutely clear that he drew a clear distinction between where that behavior was OK and where it was not, and Europe was where he put on his friendly capitalist face. In that scenario, he'd practically have a (sub)continent sized demilitarized zone on his border, which would seem pretty ideal from a security perspective.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, we have talked about the polonium poisonings, frankly Europe would have been happy to tolerate dead Russian dissidents as long as daddy Putin kept the energy supply safe... But now he's overstepped his boundary, and it's possible he doesn't see a way to get into Europe's good graces again (while maintaining grasp on power) so who knows what desperate poo poo he might hope would work...

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Flavahbeast posted:

There's a very good reason for that: MANPADs proliferating into the black market could be a nightmare in terms of civilian lives lost and PR. You probably can't inflict hundreds of civilian casualties with a single javelin. I'm guessing the stingers are locked down a lot tighter and not dispersed as widely as the javelins, assuming many have arrived at all
Javelins can also be used to attack low flying helicopters in their 'direct attack mode'.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
Javelins are also effective at helicopters. You just flick a setting on the control unit from top down attack for tanks, to level attack for helicopters.

A small perk of handing out Javalins is that they can't be fired without the separate control unit. The battery for them is also very specific. So it's less likely they will be useful for anyone other than the recipients.

Edit: ^ What they said

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

United States denies the Russian claim of a US submarine being in their waters. I wonder if USA handles their documents better than UK last summer when HMS Defender had a bit of an encounter in the disputed waters around Crimea:

quote:

On 27 June, secret documents relating to the passage of HMS Defender through Ukraine's territorial waters were discovered at a bus stop in Kent. These documents revealed that the Royal Navy considered different hypothetical reactions from Russia in response to the ship's passage and was prepared for the possibility that Russia may respond in an aggressive manner.[16] The senior civil servant who lost the files had his security clearance suspended. He had been due to become a United Kingdom ambassador to NATO.[17]

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1492631364176433152

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You may reference Seinfeld for your Geopolitics, but we insiders know that Eastern Europeans pay no heed to Seinfeld values, or even the Larry David doctrine; all they know is the genocidal wasteland of Friends

(Yeah, I don't think Seinfeld ever aired here? Which sadly means friends is considered pinnacle of comedy to this day)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://nvo.ng.ru/realty/2022-02-03/3_1175_donbass.html

Fairly interesting military analysis of some key tropes in Russian media, concerning speculative tactical scenarios for the potential invasion.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

You may reference Seinfeld for your Geopolitics, but we insiders know that Eastern Europeans pay no heed to Seinfeld values, or even the Larry David doctrine; all they know is the genocidal wasteland of Friends

(Yeah, I don't think Seinfeld ever aired here? Which sadly means friends is considered pinnacle of comedy to this day)

The sad truth is this all occurred due to a Frasierian dinner party gone awry

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Volunteers participating in defense training in Lviv.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wow they're even better equipped than the Germans!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The whole invasion force turns anyway because a Ukrainian trooper said get out of here stalker

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
If Russian troops ever make it to Lviv, it means that the entire country has fallen and these people should be heading towards the border.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Russians fail to invade country because the first mission involves getting a PDA using only a PKK

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

BoldFace posted:

If Russian troops ever make it to Lviv, it means that the entire country has fallen and these people should be heading towards the border.

True enough, but Galicians are a tough and patriotic bunch. And excellent baked goods.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

What a cruel joke giving those volunteers toy guns.

That guy in the foreground doesn't even get one!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Man this is going to be bad

Zelensky civilian brigade versus the 4th guards tank division.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like this is a tough argument to make as an American. By this logic, the US has carried out acts of war against NATO allies.

You're trying to elevate ad hominem and whataboutisms to a legit argument. As a German, I can call genocide what it is. As an American, I can criticize subverting another country's elections.

By your logic, people from any country that have ever done X lose the right to ever criticize X again forever. This is dumb.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Man this is going to be bad

Zelensky civilian brigade versus the 4th guards tank division.

Civil defence class is just that, those used to be mandatory for everyone in USSR. My mom can disassemble and reassemble an AK in 2 or 3 minutes, I don't remember what was her exam time. She's a librarian, lest you wonder.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Civil defence class is just that, those used to be mandatory for everyone in USSR. My mom can disassemble and reassemble an AK in 2 or 3 minutes, I don't remember what was her exam time. She's a librarian, lest you wonder.

They still do this in many Ukrainian schools. Pretty wild when you see a 12 year old walking through the halls with a demilled AK and a gas mask.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

We only had hand grenade throwing and survival theory. :(

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

That’s practical! Hand grenades are a leading murder/road rage weapon in EE since the donbas war.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
there're a lot of weapons you can pull out during a road rage situation, but a hand grenade is one of the few that really says, "I mean business'

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Nenonen posted:

It's interesting that they know that it was the Americans, but not surprising.

I'm a couple decades out of date, but individual ships have distinctive sound signatures. If you can hear it, you can tell which ship it is, and thus who it belongs to.

Of more concern is that it was found at all, unless it permitted itself to be detected as a warning of its own kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

""
FM of Canada: Given the continued deterioration of the security situation, we will be moving our operations to a temporary office in Lviv and temporarily suspending operations at our embassy in Kyiv, Ukraine. Canada's diplomatic presence and strong engagement in Ukraine will continue
""

""
Britain will send Typhoon fighter jets to patrol Romanian airspace in light of tensions in eastern Europe, the Defense Ministry said
""

One thing I do hate and see as possibly proof this is all going to end in a normal day is the they keep sending loving jets to fly on NATO air space like why? Russia isn't threatening NATO.