Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the neon dynasty limited environment seems really cool and fun with a lot of decisionmaking to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone put together a good GB draft deck? For the life of me I can't figure out what that deck is supposed to be about and gloomshrieker doesn't seem to have any real synergies I can see.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Seems like the archtype is SUPPOSED to be "iunno graveyard recursion" but from the only good GB draft deck i've played against you're better off with "Green ramp into the black side of one of the other black archtypes."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
GB is all about recurring your ETBs. Get creatures and enchantments with good ETBs and ninjas to bounce them. Gloomshrieker has menace to help him get through, ninja him back to your hand so you can cast him again and get another card from your gy. Kami of Transience and the Frog ninja are both beaters and if you can snag the black and green shrines they're pretty nasty.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Has anyone put together a good GB draft deck? For the life of me I can't figure out what that deck is supposed to be about and gloomshrieker doesn't seem to have any real synergies I can see.

UW: Vehicles.
UB: Ninjas.
BR: artifacts sacrifice.
RG: Modified creatures.
GW: Enchantments.
UR: Artifacts.
BW: Balance (having both artifacts and enchantments).
BG: Graveyard Recursion.
RW: Samurai
UG: ramp.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

YggdrasilTM posted:

UW: Vehicles.
UB: Ninjas.
BR: artifacts sacrifice.
RG: Modified creatures.
GW: Enchantments.
UR: Artifacts.
BW: Balance (having both artifacts and enchantments).
BG: Graveyard Recursion.
RW: Samurai
UG: ramp.

did my first draft RW samurai and it felt like it just didn't come together. One card i absolutely love though is experimental synthesizer. Just oodles of incremental value

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Really bad. I'd say maybe the worst in recent memory but AFR exists. There's barely any removal (and the stuff that is there is conditional or soft removal) and most creatures are poorly statted. There's relatively few evasive creatures at common or even uncommon (because they'd be too good with ninjitsu), and even fewer ways of dealing with them (there are four cards with reach at common, for instance, and maybe two of them are actually playable, and other flying creatures have statlines bad enough that you're usually chumping if they've even put a single +1/+1 counter on their attacker). On the contrary, the power level of most rares and mythics is stupid high, so every game I played ended up being 'who can draw and resolve their unbeatable bomb first' (as far as I'm concerned, all 5 of the mythic dragons read 'win the game instantly'). Not fun.
lol get gud, this is by far the best draft experience since ikoria. my draft decks are often almost entirely devoid of rares/mythics and do incredibly well most of the time. The commons and uncommons in this set are rock solid for the most part.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

GB is all about recurring your ETBs. Get creatures and enchantments with good ETBs and ninjas to bounce them. Gloomshrieker has menace to help him get through, ninja him back to your hand so you can cast him again and get another card from your gy. Kami of Transience and the Frog ninja are both beaters and if you can snag the black and green shrines they're pretty nasty.
had a game that stalled because my opponent had the green shrine they had been pumping every turn and it was like an 18/18 by the time I drew removal to exile it lol

Expel the vile or whatever the 4 cost white exile thing is isn't great but boy it's saved me in draft more times than I can count against bomb rares/mythics. Oh you dropped one of the mythic dragons/bankbuster/thundersteel colossus? Get outta heea

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Addendum: BR hyperaggro is absolutely not a trap, Eaater of virtue as nothing more than a bone splitter is insanely powerful

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I like that Ninjas have a tempo theme instead of an "everything is unblockable" theme, it makes them more fun to play with. But I like bouncing and tapping down my opponent's creatures over and over.

The mythic dragons all have "dies" triggers, which aren't impossible to get past. They've got competitive stats for their mana cost, but there's even some rares that are scarier to see across the table.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

LifeLynx posted:

I like that Ninjas have a tempo theme instead of an "everything is unblockable" theme, it makes them more fun to play with. But I like bouncing and tapping down my opponent's creatures over and over.

The mythic dragons all have "dies" triggers, which aren't impossible to get past. They've got competitive stats for their mana cost, but there's even some rares that are scarier to see across the table.

i opened the red mythic dragon, drew it in all 3 of my matches and all 3 times it got exiled. i think i got to attack with it once.
that was a kick in the balls

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Grabbed a set box at the prerelease, and as beautiful as the lands are, getting one in a pack in the potential bonus rare slot kind of sucks.

After looking and seeing what kind value these showcase lands can likely hold I take back this statement. The lands will probably have a better value than the bulk rares you'd get 90% of the time in this slot.

The Commander card distro is weird, looking at a few box cracking on youtube and judging from mine the precon commanders seem to come together in a box.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Nastier Nate posted:

i opened the red mythic dragon, drew it in all 3 of my matches and all 3 times it got exiled. i think i got to attack with it once.
that was a kick in the balls
gotta put something down that is worth using good removal on beforehand, imo

if you're not putting out enough serious threats, then it just means the few you do have are prime targets for removal.

it's also why I grab any tamiyo's safekeeping I can if there's no must-grab alternatives. that thing is exceptionally useful both for dealing with removal but also for saving something valuable that would die in combat and likely killing multiple of their creatures in the exchange. and it's any permanent to boot, so it doesn't even have to be creatures. exceptionally good for protecting whatever bomb rare/mythic you might have out.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Nastier Nate posted:

did my first draft RW samurai and it felt like it just didn't come together. One card i absolutely love though is experimental synthesizer. Just oodles of incremental value

My RW deck really came together but the double strike equipment was the real mvp of it so it may not be repeatable.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

gotta put something down that is worth using good removal on beforehand, imo

if you're not putting out enough serious threats, then it just means the few you do have are prime targets for removal.

it's also why I grab any tamiyo's safekeeping I can if there's no must-grab alternatives. that thing is exceptionally useful both for dealing with removal but also for saving something valuable that would die in combat and likely killing multiple of their creatures in the exchange. and it's any permanent to boot, so it doesn't even have to be creatures. exceptionally good for protecting whatever bomb rare/mythic you might have out.

It's hard to justify pure combat tricks when so many creatures double as channel combat tricks though

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Kashuno posted:

you're supposed to loop gloomshrieker , season of renewal, and that 4/3 that bounces an enchantment to your hand on etb. then put commune with nature, a bunch of sagas and whatever other good enchantments you see in your deck. if you can stabilize most decks can't beat you bring back threats over and over again. the green 1/1 deathtoucher does a lot in this style of deck as a cheap way to stabilize and an enchantment for all your cards that care about that.

note that every card i mentioned by name is green. if you're not seeing good black stuff just find 3-4 sources of mana fixing then play a swamp or two. commune with nature counts as a fixing source

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

A big flaming stink posted:

It's hard to justify pure combat tricks when so many creatures double as channel combat tricks though
if it was just a combat trick I'd agree, but since it can target any permanent you control, it's excellent for dealing with more than just creature removal. it's saved many of my more powerful sagas and artifacts from fade from memory etc, I get what you're saying but it's more versatile than the typical creature buff.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Went 5-4 in Philly, got to meet Jim Davis and Ross from SCG. I’m exhausted

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Did another prerelease, went 3-0 with GW splashing for Gloomshrieker. Had a bunch of good rares - Ao the Dawn Star, the green Ninja that returns permanents from your graveyard to hand, the saga that turns into a 3/4 that makes 1/1s when it attacks or blocks, the white March, Kami of Transience. I also had some very good removal. The 6 mana make 3 Samurai scry 3 really impressed me, it was exactly the kind of card to stabilize when your opponent is blowing removal to try and get their ground guys through.

I beat a lot of broken-rear end rares with the deck: the Black dragon, the Red dragon multiple times, the 3/1 equipment that makes equipped creature a 5/5 demon, Invoke Despair. Format is bomb heavy but still very fun and synergy based.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kashuno posted:

I did this in Arena premier draft, got to 7

Based on this I would say the key synergy card for GB is Dockside Chef as a sac outlet (he also eats artifacts so you can get rid of stuff like Terrarium for cards), he is good in anything but having control of how you bin things for value adds a lot. Also Kunai is normally really clunky removal, but being able to get it back flipped at least 2 games from dead on board to blowouts

LachlanJ
Nov 20, 2007

Get out of here O.M.A.R.
Went 1-1-1 at my LGS prerelease playing RB aggro. The loss came down to the wire and I would have had lethal damage on the board if I hadn't reminded my opponent of Geothermal Kami's lifegain trigger. The draw was against a guy who was new enough to still be baffled by a lot of the interactions and triggers. At one point he looked like he was about to give up, so I walked him through his options for dealing with the board state, potential consequences for each of his choices, and things he'd have to do in order to stabilise and win the game. Naturally, he then beat me, leaving us without time for the third game.

Overall, really digging the set. The flavour's a little different but really works in context and I think the set is going to be great for draft. BU seems strong, but nothing I faced felt overly oppressive. If I'd chosen my reconfigures more carefully I probably could have won all three matches. Cracked a Boseiju which went right into my Aesi EDH deck.

LachlanJ fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 13, 2022

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Its the best performing color pair in the format, so yeah tons of people are. Its technically supposed to be a grindy recursion deck, but honestly its just going to look like a good stuff pile. Black and green are the two best colors and you just get to play all the best cards.

Format seems super sweet so far. Lots of powerful uncommons, lots of interesting things to do. Only downside is that aggerssive decks are basically not allowed to exist so there is nothing really to check the super greedy value piles.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Format seems super sweet so far. Lots of powerful uncommons, lots of interesting things to do. Only downside is that aggerssive decks are basically not allowed to exist so there is nothing really to check the super greedy value piles.

This has not been my experience at all but I'm pretty bad at the game, disclaimer

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

kalel posted:

This has not been my experience at all but I'm pretty bad at the game, disclaimer

Tons of incidental lifegain, lots of extremely grindy cards, removal is all very good. I havent really seen it at all. Only 10 drafts in, but I'm sitting at a 73% win rate so im doing something right.

For what its worth, data suggests the aggressive decks are bad as well. The two lowest performing color pairs are Boros and Azorious.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

do you use 17 lands? would you mind sharing some of your drafts?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Planning on going to a prerelease today. What's the best archetype to go for? I suck at limited and this will be like the first one I've actually played since... Kaladesh?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

kalel posted:

do you use 17 lands? would you mind sharing some of your drafts?

I do!

Here are a few logs to chew on.
https://www.17lands.com/draft/d401c1f32a3a4674bf32df76cce87435
https://www.17lands.com/draft/fea9aeaeab8d4b2da090f3f3178dd1a2
https://www.17lands.com/draft/ca656194045944c795f9cfa63a6ac245
https://www.17lands.com/draft/deb7bb13cc264924b23f13bbfc84b089
https://www.17lands.com/draft/8ef9148d184543879d16d6b7ad283ad9
https://www.17lands.com/draft/da58299afa204c57bb7eb78efb3e8a6f

Early takaways.

-You need a reason to draft red
-synergy and build arounds are king
-format is pretty slow so most of the sagas are good

Framboise posted:

Planning on going to a prerelease today. What's the best archetype to go for? I suck at limited and this will be like the first one I've actually played since... Kaladesh?

Hard to say because your packs determine whats playable, not you. That said intereaction is pretty key, so generally you try to play the colors where you have the most intereaction + your most powerful cards.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Framboise posted:

For sealed, the best archetype is “what you open,” for real. Don’t try to force color pairs where you don’t have enough cards to make a good deck out of them. Even if you open a bomb rare, it’s not going to win you the game if you force yourself to build a mediocre deck around it (most of the time).

Also remember you’re allowed to change your deck between games/rounds, so if you think your colors/deck aren’t working out you can always change it up!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I guess my mistake was playing best of 1 then

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Also, my MSCHF Secret Lair came in yesterday to whoever that goon was asking about shipping updates with that drop.

The cards look sick as hell, especially the Blood Moon.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

kalel posted:

always is

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I got my MSCHF in the mail yesterday as well, Promptly peeled the plains card and put the sticker on a token so I could have both. Be careful if you do this, as the sticker will NOT want to come back off one you get it started on a new card.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rememeber when people itt were mad because they were mean to golf lmao

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Rememeber when people itt were mad because they were mean to golf lmao

I don't remember that. Golf sux on an entertainment and socioeconomic level though so :shrug:

Reynold posted:

I got my MSCHF in the mail yesterday as well, Promptly peeled the plains card and put the sticker on a token so I could have both. Be careful if you do this, as the sticker will NOT want to come back off one you get it started on a new card.

That's a good idea; I've left mine in the plastic because I didn't want to be tempted to peel it yet.

GonSmithe posted:

For sealed, the best archetype is “what you open,” for real. Don’t try to force color pairs where you don’t have enough cards to make a good deck out of them. Even if you open a bomb rare, it’s not going to win you the game if you force yourself to build a mediocre deck around it (most of the time).

Also remember you’re allowed to change your deck between games/rounds, so if you think your colors/deck aren’t working out you can always change it up!

Fair enough, I'll keep that in mind.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'd say the best decks are those than can aggro for early damage but have decent grindy plans. (Yeah, I know. Sounds like magical christmas land, but really.) I've done very well with R/B and R/G, actually. The R/B artifact deck can easily deal 10 damage by turn 4, and then you get the Anvils and Reactors for a ton of reach and incidental field advantage.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

I'd say the best decks are those than can aggro for early damage but have decent grindy plans. (Yeah, I know. Sounds like magical christmas land, but really.) I've done very well with R/B and R/G, actually. The R/B artifact deck can easily deal 10 damage by turn 4, and then you get the Anvils and Reactors for a ton of reach and incidental field advantage.

You’re just describing a midrange deck. It’s aggressive or controlling giving the context and texture of the match.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
2-1 with a fun UR deck. Only lost to the mirror when I had some mulls and a below average start and he got his replicating 3/4 flyer going before I did.

Did get to live the dream with a god draw of one drop flyer into the 3/2 treasure maker turn two and we were of to the races. I played 12 cards off the top with reality chip that game so yeah play all your interaction folks.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Paul Zuvella posted:

You’re just describing a midrange deck. It’s aggressive or controlling giving the context and texture of the match.

So, I define midrange (especially in draft) as casting on curve up to 5 or so. The decks I'm trying to describe are those that have a plethora of grind features wherein you're usually better of casting a smaller creature + value/synergistic grindy piece on 4 through 7 instead of just going chonker, chonker, chonker.

I know this is a poo poo description, but I'm tired.

On a very different note, Walking Skyscraper is giving me massive Gate Colossus flashbacks in how it plays in this format.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also the prerelease was fun as always but now they're three rounds? Just cut 25% of the value huh. Also the prize packs are set boosters now, which are just useless for anything but cracking like a loving chump.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

kalel posted:

BO3 is noticably softer than BO1. The fact that there is no BO3 ladder is both criminal and most likely the reason for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also the prerelease was fun as always but now they're three rounds? Just cut 25% of the value huh. Also the prize packs are set boosters now, which are just useless for anything but cracking like a loving chump.

Might be your store? Mine was giving draft boosters for prize support.