Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dan Olson's large adult bitcoin son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Okay but how does it relate to crypto?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

sexpig by night posted:

MLMs and all have a long history of emotional appeals, but they usually focus on things like 'don't you want to be EMPOWERED?' to kinda hype their targets up and usually focus on suburban mother types and college kids who are prime for feeling aimless and anxious about their future.

I've never seen a scam focus so hard on an appeal that boils down to the 'hey come on, I'm just a little guy. I'm a little birthday boy come on now...' meme.

They also straight up do the cult thing where they program you to believe the cult is the best thing in your life, the only path to success, and anybody who speaks negatively about it or tries to get you out isn't actually doing it because they're worried about you: they're doing it because they're actively trying to prevent you from succeeding out of spite/jealousy/etc and you need to cut them out of your life.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4eG4_IV3_A

I love thumbnail so I'm very happy they made another song.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i love crypto and crypto loves me

rox
Sep 7, 2016

eternally disappointed that cryptobro doesnt refer to people who try to decipher the zodiac killer letters

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

haha what posted:

eternally disappointed that cryptobro doesnt refer to people who try to decipher the zodiac killer letters

They have nothing to do now that the zodiac killers code was solved last year.

https://youtu.be/-1oQLPRE21o

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

MLMs and all have a long history of emotional appeals, but they usually focus on things like 'don't you want to be EMPOWERED?' to kinda hype their targets up and usually focus on suburban mother types and college kids who are prime for feeling aimless and anxious about their future.

I've never seen a scam focus so hard on an appeal that boils down to the 'hey come on, I'm just a little guy. I'm a little birthday boy come on now...' meme.

the bitcoin version of this pitch is typically 'oh you don't want to buy my coin??? what are you, a pussy?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Farm Frenzy posted:

the bitcoin version of this pitch is typically 'oh you don't want to buy my coin??? what are you, a pussy?

pretty much but the actual narrative they use when confronted shifts SO radically it's genuinely bizarre. Like, yea, 'not buying our scam? What are you, SCARED OF WINNING????' is super common but usually when confronted those scams focus on small scale success stories like 'this single mother of four paid off her medical debt AND her kids' college with this scam' and just quietly ignore the negatives, which keeps the same 'look what you COULD do with this scam' vibe. It's weird to see one go from aggro 'what are you some kinda money pussy????' to 'aw gee why are you mad at me I'm just a lil guy with glasses, I'm just tryin to make friends here come on buddy'.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Veridis Joe talks about the so-called critiques of a more recent cartoon that's gotten caught in the dumb online culture war:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA8lOZpCyyM

I haven't watched this show myself so I won't comment on it, but I knew when I saw the promotional poster years ago that the reactionary crowd would have opinions on it. I do wonder though if a lot less people would be mad at this show's existence if it wasn't a Crunchyroll Original™.

It also sucks to hear that the studio working on this was given a much lower budget compared to what animation studios in the U.S. usually get.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Genthil posted:

Veridis Joe talks about the so-called critiques of a more recent cartoon that's gotten caught in the dumb online culture war:

I haven't watched this show myself so I won't comment on it, but I knew when I saw the promotional poster years ago that the reactionary crowd would have opinions on it. I do wonder though if a lot less people would be mad at this show's existence if it wasn't a Crunchyroll Original™.

It also sucks to hear that the studio working on this was given a much lower budget compared to what animation studios in the U.S. usually get.

Isnt that the cartoon that posted a large content warning only for there to be no actual offensive content?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sexpig by night posted:

pretty much but the actual narrative they use when confronted shifts SO radically it's genuinely bizarre. Like, yea, 'not buying our scam? What are you, SCARED OF WINNING????' is super common but usually when confronted those scams focus on small scale success stories like 'this single mother of four paid off her medical debt AND her kids' college with this scam' and just quietly ignore the negatives, which keeps the same 'look what you COULD do with this scam' vibe. It's weird to see one go from aggro 'what are you some kinda money pussy????' to 'aw gee why are you mad at me I'm just a lil guy with glasses, I'm just tryin to make friends here come on buddy'.

You can tell when you've caught one of the NFT fans out, because they just shut down and revert to "Well if you actually understood the technology...."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Stop being mean to the economy! You'll make the money sad :saddowns:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Genthil posted:

From what I heard, people thought that the money used to fund the show was money that could have been used to get the rights to [YOUR FAVORITE ANIME HERE] so people were going to be dead against regardless, but I think the money was earmarked for an original series so it going to anything else was never possible. Throw in LGBT stuff and yeah.

That said, I hear it isn’t the greatest independent of overblown outrage. Like the writing is pretty subpar with awkward dialogue.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

There is something hilarious about not only there being a term for people disappearing into the night with investment money in bitcoin but it also being both normalized and even to a degree encouraged and expected (because after all it could never happen to ME, the average very smart bitcoin buyer, right).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can tell when you've caught one of the NFT fans out, because they just shut down and revert to "Well if you actually understood the technology...."
If you do then you go one step further and either they just stop talking or they go "HFBP" and storm off.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lotta FUD bein spread around here, we need some FOMO to balance it out

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pants Donkey posted:

That said, I hear it isn’t the greatest independent of overblown outrage. Like the writing is pretty subpar with awkward dialogue.

It seemed pretty typical for the age group it's targeted at (preteens) from the trailers. Not GOOD, but just kinda average.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iirc the whole production situation around HGS was kind of fucky. Like there was, what, one trailer and then it more or less immediately went into cold storage for years? And I think a couple people who worked on it were like “yeah the shows been done for a while but Crunchyroll isn’t returning our calls”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not going to say much about HGS because I don't have much interest in it but I did get recommended the OP credits theme and it made me laugh with the :effort: on display with lyrics and singing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNGYLE1o8Y

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

haha what posted:

Extremely disappointed its not a classifcation for entities such as Brofoot, the Brosey Devil, or the Broch Ness Monster.

I Brolieve

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

average crypto user

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
crypto-fascist

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Summoning Salt talks about the history of speed running Super Punch Out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRF6LTEYLBA

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh man, that is the best joke I've heard in months.

Like, perfect emotional setup, incredible non-sequitur punchline. Just immaculate construction.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

I love how the first 3/4 of this movie is one man’s quest to run this horrible speedrun over and over

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Pants Donkey posted:

I love how the first 3/4 of this movie is one man’s quest to run this horrible speedrun over and over

This is all horrible speedruns at one time or another

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pants Donkey posted:

From what I heard, people thought that the money used to fund the show was money that could have been used to get the rights to [YOUR FAVORITE ANIME HERE] so people were going to be dead against regardless, but I think the money was earmarked for an original series so it going to anything else was never possible. Throw in LGBT stuff and yeah.

They made a big deal of diversity amongst the show staff and it was 100% white women.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

As someone who got WR in a bullshit rng fest today I can feel his pain

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Violet_Sky posted:

Isnt that the cartoon that posted a large content warning only for there to be no actual offensive content?

To be fair its ridiculously more violent and bloody than I expected it to be.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I have not scene any of Cartoonist Kayfabe videos posted here, they do breakdowns, review and interviews dealing with comic books and related topics yesterday they put out Comics Code Authority.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwlWurOuH-k

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm not going to say much about HGS because I don't have much interest in it but I did get recommended the OP credits theme and it made me laugh with the :effort: on display with lyrics and singing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNGYLE1o8Y

yea the show sucks rear end but for just genuine 'oh, you made a bad show, bad luck there' reasons not any of the 'AND THERE'S A LADY DOING ANIME????' poo poo some people do, so you get this lovely situation where you'll be reading a review or whatever and it'll spend most of it's time going 'yea this is a bad cartoon, writing's bad, the sound mixing of all things is insanely rinky dink to the point where major characters' lines are washed out by incredibly generic background music, visuals are mediocre at best' and then smoothly transition into 'and they gave money to some queer instead of getting the rights to Love Love School Prison Camp, the REAL masterpiece that CR is lacking??????????' and it's like a goddamn bear trap.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Ryuga Death posted:

Speaking of speedruns this relatively small channel popped on my radar with so far a rather niche speedrun focus - adventure games.

Here's his report on speedrunning Kings Quest 1 into dust:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbb2GNDVqFc

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That kids stuff was pretty interesting

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

stillvisions posted:

Speaking of speedruns this relatively small channel popped on my radar with so far a rather niche speedrun focus - adventure games.

Here's his report on speedrunning Kings Quest 1 into dust:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbb2GNDVqFc

make sure you don't sleep on this guys kings quest 3 video. this might be the worst speedrun I've ever heard of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tR2ULoUVQ0

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Seconded, that vid was great. I loved the little clip of one streamer getting good RNG for a dumb feather and going "THIS IS THE RUN BOYS". Speedrunning is fascinating to me and trying to do it with such a brutal game is like catnip :allears: .

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mercury Hat posted:

Seconded, that vid was great. I loved the little clip of one streamer getting good RNG for a dumb feather and going "THIS IS THE RUN BOYS". Speedrunning is fascinating to me and trying to do it with such a brutal game is like catnip :allears: .
I'm not sure I ever made it past turning the wizard into a cat, and I'm okay with that now that I've seen how brutal that game is for missing one thing and not knowing until later.

To me speedrunning almost has this Lovecraftian horror element of watching the players and their obsession gradually transform "having fun playing the game really well" into a process that barely resembles playing the game at all, all while becoming increasingly despondent over smaller and smaller mistakes.

It's like:

Day 1: "Oh neat, I found a shortcut that lets me not bother using this spell at all if I have the cookie, that'll save me a few minutes

Day 800: "I TYPED <F3><F3>PICKBUCKETFROMSHELF INSTEAD OF <F3>PICKPAILFROMWALL AND HAVE LOST THREE FRAMES OF LIFE, I MUST RESTART, ALL IS LOST!"

I am still baffled in the KQ1 speedrun why they'd save once their speedruns got into absurdly short territory.

egg tats posted:

make sure you don't sleep on this guys kings quest 3 video. this might be the worst speedrun I've ever heard of

That video should have had 13 minutes in the video of the presenter doing nothing.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

stillvisions posted:

That video should have had 13 minutes in the video of the presenter playing Ocean Man

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

egg tats posted:

I watched this earlier, it sounds like pure pain lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

stillvisions posted:

I'm not sure I ever made it past turning the wizard into a cat, and I'm okay with that now that I've seen how brutal that game is for missing one thing and not knowing until later.

To me speedrunning almost has this Lovecraftian horror element of watching the players and their obsession gradually transform "having fun playing the game really well" into a process that barely resembles playing the game at all, all while becoming increasingly despondent over smaller and smaller mistakes.

It's like:

Day 1: "Oh neat, I found a shortcut that lets me not bother using this spell at all if I have the cookie, that'll save me a few minutes

Day 800: "I TYPED <F3><F3>PICKBUCKETFROMSHELF INSTEAD OF <F3>PICKPAILFROMWALL AND HAVE LOST THREE FRAMES OF LIFE, I MUST RESTART, ALL IS LOST!"

Watching the SMB1 speedrun slowly evolve over the last few years into needing to execute perfect inputs across all 17,700 frames, like some kind of human TAS, has been pretty wild.