Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Astro7x posted:

Your math is a bit off, but there are 113 Retro Courses they have to pick from if you include the 11 new tracks in Tour and remove all the retro tracks already in MK8 w/ the existing DLC

Of those 113...
-40 were remade for Mario Kart Tour
-31 were never remade (GBA Super Circuit has the least remakes, while MK7 has the most)
-65 have been remade at some point in the series.

There is really no way to tell which tracks they're going to pull from.

imo if the tracks they have shown look like they are being pulled from Tour, I assume they will add all the remakes from Tour not currently in the game.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

not a bot posted:

Completed the demo for Triangle Strategy and while the fights are nice, they amount for maybe 25% of the gameplay. The rest of the time you're basically just mashing a button to forward endless conversations concerning the dumbass plot with cookie cutter characters. Hopefully that's just a way to set the story and the rest of the game will have a better balance.

I hope it keeps being 75% dialogue, the battles are kinda boring but I really like the conflicts that they’re building

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Astro7x posted:

i know which ones they are. but i won't tell anyone.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Grinch leak but for Mario Kart tracks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

b_d posted:

i know which ones they are. but i won't tell anyone.

You won’t get YouTube clicks with this attitude

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i'll take the secret to my grave (probably going to die before they all come out due to lifestyle choices)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Astro7x posted:

Your math is a bit off, but there are 113 Retro Courses they have to pick from if you include the 11 new tracks in Tour and remove all the retro tracks already in MK8 w/ the existing DLC

Of those 113...
-40 were remade for Mario Kart Tour
-31 were never remade (GBA Super Circuit has the least remakes, while MK7 has the most)
-65 have been remade at some point in the series.

Ah. Thanks for that.

Whatever the case, they must remake Maple Treeway the GOAT track or we strike.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

The Grinch leak but for Mario Kart tracks.

Looking forward to Green Hill Zone

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Earthbound NES has an abysmal encounter rate and is still more creative, interesting, and fun to play than KOTOR

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You won’t get YouTube clicks with this attitude

brb practicing my soy face expression for 48 individual videos on the new tracks

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm in the middle of chapter 2 on Project Triangle Strategy, but it seems to be building slowly. Hard to say now, but I like the approach of having long cutscenes in between the battles. I'm watching Resonant Arc's excellent series on Final Fantasy Tactics and despite them talking for literal hours about the game's story, they note that the cutscenes are really short. It seems like they're taking a different approach in PTS.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Oscar Wild posted:

Earthbound NES has an abysmal encounter rate and is still more creative, interesting, and fun to play than KOTOR

What it’s just a standard RPG.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Bloop posted:

Looking forward to Green Hill Zone

Finally. Nintendo making good on the cut content Miyamoto threw in our faces for Double Dash.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

CharlestheHammer posted:

What it’s just a standard RPG.

Better than KOTOR

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Oscar Wild posted:

Better than KOTOR

Okay I guess that’s a random game to compare a big standard NES RPG to

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Earthbound on the NES is better than final fantasy 7... chrono trigger and final fantasy 6 too

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

I like this opinion less than I like living in a global pandemic

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Looper posted:

why don't any of y'all ever talk about how good the blaster master zero trilogy is?? i'm near the end of 3 and it's pog

It's good.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

b_d posted:

i was just reading an article about the changes from mother 1 to the localized version and it turns out the run option was put in during localization as a testing/debugging helper and one of the guys on the project convinced them to leave it in.

Huh. Now I remember reading somewhere that Breath of Fire II was in a similar situation: There's actually a run function, but it was disabled in the game. Sadly, Capcom hosed up the localization bad enough there probably was no time, budget or decision-making skills for any other result. :shrug:

I know this because there's a fan patch for the game which re-enables running for BoFII again. Of course, it's not in the SNESflix-version so you're sol without doing something weird like hacking your Switch to put a SNES-emulator on it

Waltzing Along posted:

This is someones dream game. Probably someone reading this comment right now.

And then in a twist it turns out it already existed, but was Japan-only. :v:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Earthbound is extremely ok

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Libluini posted:

Huh. Now I remember reading somewhere that Breath of Fire II was in a similar situation: There's actually a run function, but it was disabled in the game. Sadly, Capcom hosed up the localization bad enough there probably was no time, budget or decision-making skills for any other result. :shrug:

I know this because there's a fan patch for the game which re-enables running for BoFII again. Of course, it's not in the SNESflix-version so you're sol without doing something weird like hacking your Switch to put a SNES-emulator on it

And then in a twist it turns out it already existed, but was Japan-only. :v:

The GBA Breath Of Fire 2 port doubled the xp/gold gain because it's a kinda grindy game without a lot of strategy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Waffle! posted:

All blue shells, all the time.

Is that really it because lmao

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Waltzing Along posted:

Ah. Thanks for that.

Whatever the case, they must remake Maple Treeway the GOAT track or we strike.

Not sure if it impacts them remaking it for MK8 or not, but Maple Treeway was in Mario Kart 7.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The GBA Breath Of Fire 2 port doubled the xp/gold gain because it's a kinda grindy game without a lot of strategy.

You definitely can grind, if you want multiple characters maxed out on skills, but in truth there's not much mandatory grinding if you just want to get through the game.

And if you want to grind, there are e.g. multiple enemies vulnerable against insta-death and a lot of enemies are vulnerable against debuffs. That, and most fights tend to go like rocket tag anyway. Grinding is a lot less tedious if the individual fight moves at a brisk pace.

I tried the GBA-version once, but imho, just doubling money and exp gain and changing nothing else turns an already easy game into an absolute cake walk.

BoFII is a game balanced around nearly every character maxing out all their skills after ca. level 30 and loaded down with money exploits if the game isn't yet easy enough for you. All the gold/exp-doubling does is ruin your fun by removing the need to engage with the game's systems. :shrug:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

BoFII these nuts

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Libluini posted:

You definitely can grind, if you want multiple characters maxed out on skills, but in truth there's not much mandatory grinding if you just want to get through the game.

And if you want to grind, there are e.g. multiple enemies vulnerable against insta-death and a lot of enemies are vulnerable against debuffs. That, and most fights tend to go like rocket tag anyway. Grinding is a lot less tedious if the individual fight moves at a brisk pace.

I tried the GBA-version once, but imho, just doubling money and exp gain and changing nothing else turns an already easy game into an absolute cake walk.

BoFII is a game balanced around nearly every character maxing out all their skills after ca. level 30 and loaded down with money exploits if the game isn't yet easy enough for you. All the gold/exp-doubling does is ruin your fun by removing the need to engage with the game's systems. :shrug:

Specifically there's a hidden island with like four types of super enemies and almost(?) all of them have huge weaknesses.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
give me a rainbow road where every lap is a different rainbow road

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Specifically there's a hidden island with like four types of super enemies and almost(?) all of them have huge weaknesses.

There are two hidden islands with big, bad monsters with weaknesses. The second one even comes with a secret shop selling endgame-equipment. :haw:

(And an enemy so strong it'll kill your rear end if you come too early.)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

loving Highfort.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

loving Highfort.

Yeah, the one thing BoFII did really bad was blindly assuming the player would use certain characters over others. For example, Bow needs ridiculously low amounts of exp to rush through his levels, and the one time you are forced to use him, the enemies you encounter are weak and give out unusually high exp amounts for that part of the game.

On the other hand, e.g. Sten and Rand, two other characters you absolutely need for certain dungeons, level up a lot slower.

This is great news if you hate Bow and love Sten, not so much if the reverse is true. If you say, dumpster Sten the first chance you get and never use him again, Highfort will be painfull :shepface:

At least the developers gave us poor Sten-haters a fail safe: What I never noticed as a dumb kid, there's a lot of Sten-equipment hidden in Highfort, so it's theoretically possible to make short runs from your save point purposefully into the wrong direction, taking all that secret poo poo, and give yourself a leg up.

Ironically, if you come prepared it's a lot easier to survive walking into the wrong direction for so long. Certainly, today I'm thankful for having save states on my Switch, because gently caress doing all that poo poo legit. I'm not a teenager with infinite time anymore.

Edit:

A certain frog leveling up at a snail's pace and Katt leveling up fast enough to break the light barrier makes me think that's another pair of characters where the devs obviously thought players would love that dumb frog prince enough to keep him in the party forever, while betting equally hard on Katt being unloved and forgotten.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 13, 2022

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Oscar Wild posted:

this is true. kotor loving sucks

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Khanstant posted:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Libluini posted:

Yeah, the one thing BoFII did really bad was blindly assuming the player would use certain characters over others. For example, Bow needs ridiculously low amounts of exp to rush through his levels, and the one time you are forced to use him, the enemies you encounter are weak and give out unusually high exp amounts for that part of the game.

On the other hand, e.g. Sten and Rand, two other characters you absolutely need for certain dungeons, level up a lot slower.

This is great news if you hate Bow and love Sten, not so much if the reverse is true. If you say, dumpster Sten the first chance you get and never use him again, Highfort will be painfull :shepface:

At least the developers gave us poor Sten-haters a fail safe: What I never noticed as a dumb kid, there's a lot of Sten-equipment hidden in Highfort, so it's theoretically possible to make short runs from your save point purposefully into the wrong direction, taking all that secret poo poo, and give yourself a leg up.

Ironically, if you come prepared it's a lot easier to survive walking into the wrong direction for so long. Certainly, today I'm thankful for having save states on my Switch, because gently caress doing all that poo poo legit. I'm not a teenager with infinite time anymore.

Edit:

A certain frog leveling up at a snail's pace and Katt leveling up fast enough to break the light barrier makes me think that's another pair of characters where the devs obviously thought players would love that dumb frog prince enough to keep him in the party forever, while betting equally hard on Katt being unloved and forgotten.
Bow may level up quickly because of the sizable section of the early game (from shortly after rescuing Suzy until right after SimaFort/Fort Nageur) where he's literally unavailable for use, and then immediately after you get him back there's a potential solo section with him. As for Katt, a lot of times melee fighters level up faster than spellcasters in JRPGs, that dates back to the genre's D&D roots, where the Thief class leveled up like greased lightning and the Magic-User class leveled up like glacial drift.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1492682651681099777?s=20&t=JJFkDksGX4eihNNRJv9dmw

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Khanstant posted:

This is the good stuff here. Even if it wasn't RR, it would be cool to have the course change lap to lap. It's such a good idea. That a Nintendo Switch is not capable of doing. It could be done on a PS5, though.

Make it happen Nintendo.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

that really couldn't happen on a switch?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you can't even do that on a PS5. youd need some kind of supercomputer from NASA to make a course that changes every lap

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
...Wait, really?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Rolo posted:

Is that really it because lmao

No, it just feels that way anytime you get close to 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Libluini posted:

(And an enemy so strong it'll kill your rear end if you come too early.)

Leave my wife out of this.

I don't know how I would've managed to ever beat BoF2 as a kid if I didn't have a strategy guide for it. Apparently it was wrong about a lot of things but at least got me through every time I rented the game.