Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russia isn't threatening NATO.

It only wants it to disband or else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

One thing I do hate and see as possibly proof this is all going to end in a normal day is the they keep sending loving jets to fly on NATO air space like why? Russia isn't threatening NATO.
Seriously? You've got 150,000 Russian troops an hour's flight from Poland and you don't think that's a huge deal? They'd be remiss NOT to cover NATO airspace.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah just on a contingency level it'd be literally negligent to not assume the ukraine-facing buildup might be a bait n switch (even if it's an incredibly low likelihood, ofc)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yeah but that isn't much new. I mean Russia is constantly breaching air space as it stands and having to be chased out if Estonia etc. Either way Kaliningrad let's them do this poo poo. So sending a few typhoons isn't going to change that.

I get the security aspect. But it's kind of insane that they go yes we are helping Ukraine by putting troops in Warsaw.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 13, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Anyone have a time frame for the invasion? I remember hearing on the news that it would use the Olympics as a distraction.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Anytime between now and the middle of March. Ideally, sometime in the next few weeks or when the Olympics end.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Anyone have a time frame for the invasion? I remember hearing on the news that it would use the Olympics as a distraction.

I'd think the next half dozen weeks or less. Russians will start dropping dead from drinking jet fuel and the battlefield casualties will take a toll on putins prospects.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

""
FM of Canada: Given the continued deterioration of the security situation, we will be moving our operations to a temporary office in Lviv and temporarily suspending operations at our embassy in Kyiv, Ukraine. Canada's diplomatic presence and strong engagement in Ukraine will continue
""

""
Britain will send Typhoon fighter jets to patrol Romanian airspace in light of tensions in eastern Europe, the Defense Ministry said
""

One thing I do hate and see as possibly proof this is all going to end in a normal day is the they keep sending loving jets to fly on NATO air space like why? Russia isn't threatening NATO.

How is starting a war that will kill tens of thousands and create regional chaos not a threat?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

steinrokkan posted:

I mean his cohort would defend him if he declared war over a stubbed toe, and none of his actual peers care about the nominal excuse he comes up with

It goes further than that.

Fact is one of the world's largest militaries has concentrated >60% of its fighting power along the border of a country it invaded less than 10 years ago and somehow we still have no loving idea what it's going to do or how they're going to do it.

In response we have people who, for example, believe Putin is loving Hitler 2.0 and can't be reasoned with repeatedly assert that nevertheless he wouldn't attack because he's a coward or because he's got nothing to gain or won't risk sanctions and it was always just a bluff to earn international respect after being cooped up in a bunker for too long.

Then we have the US publicly declaring they have absolute confidence through their security apparatus that Russia is aiming for a full-scale invasion, only to walk it back hours later, then flip flop again (nevermind Biden's "small incursion" gaffe), with international media alternating between ghoulishly sounding the war drums or pressing NATO governments for proof.

And meanwhile the government of the country being encircled is asking everyone to calm the gently caress down and while insisting there's no reason to believe they're being invaded.

That's the sort of effect maintaining even remotely plausible ambiguity has. Score one for strategic maskirovka.

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1492564532539105288

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah but that isn't much new. I mean Russia is constantly breaching air space as it stands and having to be chased out if Estonia etc. Either way Kaliningrad let's them do this poo poo. So sending a few typhoons isn't going to change that.

I get the security aspect. But it's kind of insane that they go yes we are helping Ukraine by putting troops in Warsaw.

i mean i don't disagree, but pretty much the entirety of the (frankly surprisingly cohesive) european response is intended to make it clear that there will be consequences if Russia decides to invade. How much good that will do is anyone's guess, but if you went back 2 months and asked almost anywhere how much the rest of europe and the US would do to discourage russia from invading Ukraine, I think the almost universal answer would've been massively less than they now seem willing to do.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Anytime between now and the middle of March. Ideally, sometime in the next few weeks or when the Olympics end.

Past march the ground becomes muddy which makes it harder to move tanks through. Putin also temporarily loses his biggest defense against sanctions and actual consequences for his actions which is being Europe's heating supply.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Redgrendel2001 posted:

How is starting a war that will kill tens of thousands and create regional chaos not a threat?

It is a threat. Bur Russia has a massive intelligence network inside the EU which basically kills with near impunity. The Us and Europe know this but capital investment in Russia means they cannot do poo poo about it. I mean the Russian threat is the biggest boon for US European interests as we are increasing troop counts after a few decades of decreasing.

Russia can do more with a well placed whore or honeypot wife than a loving air incursion. The point is Putin wouldn't go after NATO because that's game over. NATO would have to cease existence before he attempts to re-liberate Budapest.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 13, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Past march the ground becomes muddy which makes it harder to move tanks through. Putin also temporarily loses his biggest defense against sanctions and actual consequences for his actions which is being Europe's heating supply.

There's also the issue of costs as keeping the military on the border is extremely expensive for Russia. You can't perform these exercises indefinitely. Additional time only allows further development of the of the Ukrainian military which includes long range ballistic missiles.

Granted, Russia would probably will win but the cost would much, much, higher and a potential stalemate.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We should give Ukraine a nuke.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This situation could be defused if any of the big actors tweeted "launching nukes... NOW!!!" followed by "just kidding lol" a few minutes later. Everyone would just have a good laugh!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nenonen posted:

This situation could be defused if any of the big actors tweeted "launching nukes... NOW!!!" followed by "just kidding lol" a few minutes later. Everyone would just have a good laugh!
Yes we need Reagan to state on national tv "we begin bombing in 5 minutes"

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Conspiratiorist posted:

In response we have people who, for example, believe Putin is loving Hitler 2.0 and can't be reasoned with repeatedly assert that nevertheless he wouldn't attack because he's a coward or because he's got nothing to gain or won't risk sanctions and it was always just a bluff to earn international respect after being cooped up in a bunker for too long.

This is only a contradiction if you think that all people who are not Putin are the same person and he's some kind of robot and everybody has to be absolutely logical or speak with the same voice all of the time. There's no contradiction between someone not responding to conventional reason in most situations but still backing off at some point.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Then we have the US publicly declaring they have absolute confidence through their security apparatus that Russia is aiming for a full-scale invasion, only to walk it back hours later, then flip flop again (nevermind Biden's "small incursion" gaffe), with international media alternating between ghoulishly sounding the war drums or pressing NATO governments for proof.

It's of course totally unacceptable to report that Russia is now ready to strike and that if it actually does, the campaign would probably take X amount of days (hours?). The press has to talk with the same voice (see above), otherwise it's completely worthless. Different opinions or assessments? Not possible, checkmate press! Also, preparing for an undesirable event totally means that you want that event, you monsters!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The logic of "chasing them out" of our airspace is to display the capability to do so. So if a Russian fighter shows up in our airspace, it is met with a fighter, even if no one is intending to shoot anyone. Similar logic applies to amping up the air response in EE, even if it won't "stop" Russia from flexing around.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rappaport posted:

The logic of "chasing them out" of our airspace is to display the capability to do so. So if a Russian fighter shows up in our airspace, it is met with a fighter, even if no one is intending to shoot anyone. Similar logic applies to amping up the air response in EE, even if it won't "stop" Russia from flexing around.
If we wanted to stop Russia from entering NATO airspace we would ask turkey to post fighters in EE.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

If we wanted to stop Russia from entering NATO airspace we would ask turkey to post fighters in EE.

It’s possible the Romanians themselves requested the extra patrols and the British just happen to be the ones to oblige.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So, if there isn't an invasion next week, how do we tell whether or not it's because the us and Europe's actions managed to dissuade Putin, versus us intel was spouting bullshit yet again?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

we don't :shrug:

I doubt anything that's been done so far has changed his plans one way or the other, though

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

So, if there isn't an invasion next week, how do we tell whether or not it's because the us and Europe's actions managed to dissuade Putin, versus us intel was spouting bullshit yet again?

The point seems to be to heckle him, like trying to call out all the moves a magician is making during a performance. You may not be right, but it infuriates the magician and he may blow his tricks spectacularly.

Or distracting a basketball player shooting a free throw, or talking loudly at a guy trying to set up for a golf shot. You distract him and hope it leads to something going spectacularly wrong.

That's about all we can do, frankly.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I know this is mostly just speculating, that there's bigger poo poo going on right now and I'm not an expert on EE politics by any means, but what exactly happens when Putin dies or steps down? Is there anyone else lined up to take his place when that day comes or is he just full-on FYGM about whatever the next generation of Russian politics looks like?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Every embassy in the world is leaving Ukraine, Russia has something like a third of it's entire military surrounding the Country and commercial flights are grounded.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I know this is mostly just speculating, that there's bigger poo poo going on right now and I'm not an expert on EE politics by any means, but what exactly happens when Putin dies or steps down? Is there anyone else lined up to take his place when that day comes or is he just full-on FYGM about whatever the next generation of Russian politics looks like?

In brief, there's no outward sign of an explicit next in line, because if you're a strongman dictator, having a next in line or succession planning is basically giving someone an on-ramp to overthrowing you. Individuals who seemed to have been floated/groomed for the purpose, like Medvedev, don't seem to have stuck around in such a role. That said, Russia has enough institutions and structures in place that it's not really evident that they'd go into some sort of public collapse when Putin kicks it.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Discendo Vox posted:

That said, Russia has enough institutions and structures in place that it's not really evident that they'd go into some sort of public collapse when Putin kicks it.

I don't doubt that. I'm more concerned about its various allies and disputed territories, Chechnya in particular. Authoritarian regimes generally don't work well together if the guy on top isn't greasing the right wheels.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 13, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Every embassy in the world is leaving Ukraine, Russia has something like a third of it's entire military surrounding the Country and commercial flights are grounded.

Specifically referring to bidens claim that Putin had given the order to invade next week

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I don't doubt that. I'm more concerned about its various allies and disputed territories, Chechnya in particular. Authoritarian regimes generally don't work well together if the guy on top isn't greasing the right wheels.

That's a good point, and I got no clue there.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Deteriorata posted:

The point seems to be to heckle him, like trying to call out all the moves a magician is making during a performance. You may not be right, but it infuriates the magician and he may blow his tricks spectacularly.

Or distracting a basketball player shooting a free throw, or talking loudly at a guy trying to set up for a golf shot. You distract him and hope it leads to something going spectacularly wrong.

That's about all we can do, frankly.

It's also to the benefit of the many many civilians in Russia and elsewhere in Eastern Europe who have access to Western internet news sources. It's not clear exactly how many people in Russia or elsewhere are buying the Kremlin line that this is somehow a defense of Russia and Russian territorial integrity. But if you're the west and you make clear that you aren't doing anything and it's Russia that's invading for no reason that does theoretically help selling whatever happens next as entirely Russia's fault.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Specifically referring to bidens claim that Putin had given the order to invade next week

Well, given their whole military is in the middle of doing a training exercise around the Country it's kind of an ideal timing.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
right, what I'm trying to ascertain is to what extent is that claim is falsifiable

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Discendo Vox posted:

In brief, there's no outward sign of an explicit next in line, because if you're a strongman dictator, having a next in line or succession planning is basically giving someone an on-ramp to overthrowing you. Individuals who seemed to have been floated/groomed for the purpose, like Medvedev, don't seem to have stuck around in such a role. That said, Russia has enough institutions and structures in place that it's not really evident that they'd go into some sort of public collapse when Putin kicks it.

i mean, it depends. if you're full crazy mode authoritarian, you can telegraph that you're planning to let your son succeed you because what are they gonna do? they're gonna succeed you anyway

in related turkmenbashi news https://twitter.com/Peter__Leonard/status/1492367056242679815

see also Lukashenko's kid in a bit

if you don't want to do dynastic succession, you appoint a boring technocrat as heir apparent, and Mishustin fits the bill, but... well, who knows Putin's thoughts on boring technocrat Tokayev deciding to properly oust his predecessor, but they probably aren't comforting thoughts

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

This is funny to me because the original historical purpose of clear lines of succession (beyond consolidating power) was making successions more stable by ensuring to stakeholders that current quid pro quo relationships with the sovereign would remain honored even after their stepping down/death.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I wonder if some of the stuff going on in the west is to give Putin the opportunity to back down "gracefully" with respect to his cohort in Russia.

When Western media is in a panicked frenzy and companies are cancelling flights and pulling assets, it makes it easier for Putin to pull back the troops and say "Lol you guys are fuckin panicky over nothing" and look like a Strong Cool Guy.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Re: that bizarre 'On the Historical Unity of Russians and Ukrainians' essay in 2021, is it plausibly regarded as a passion piece from the top or is it mainly blather for domestic consumption?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

There's really no way of knowing. IIRC Soviet intelligence learned the initial planned date of the Nazi invasion in WW2, but the invasion was delayed for various reasons, making it look like a false alarm.

I think it's more than likely that some official Russian documentation says invade on the 16th; it's too specific to be anything else. Whether or not it happens on schedule is a different question.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

JerikTelorian posted:

I wonder if some of the stuff going on in the west is to give Putin the opportunity to back down "gracefully" with respect to his cohort in Russia.

When Western media is in a panicked frenzy and companies are cancelling flights and pulling assets, it makes it easier for Putin to pull back the troops and say "Lol you guys are fuckin panicky over nothing" and look like a Strong Cool Guy.

A case can be made that Russia is leveraging Western media's ghoulishness, and the US State Department's untrustworthiness, as part of their maneuvers to mask their ultimate intent, on which there's enough seeded ambiguity they could conceivably finish exercises, everyone pack up and go home without ever firing a shot across the border, and blame the economic fallout (bad for Russia but catastrophic for Ukraine) on Western fearmongering.

However, taking advantage of a situation is not the same as wholesale orchestrating it, and I wouldn't believe for a minute that this one in particular is being promoted by NATO governments themselves in order to offer some kind of convoluted de-escalation path.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Edit: who cares.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

You're trying to elevate ad hominem and whataboutisms to a legit argument. As a German, I can call genocide what it is. As an American, I can criticize subverting another country's elections.

By your logic, people from any country that have ever done X lose the right to ever criticize X again forever. This is dumb.
The Holocaust is considerably further in the past than US election meddling, what with it being on-going. In any case, I was reacting mostly to calling meddling in an election* an act of war in a thread presently discussing the possibly imminent re-invasion of a country that was invaded less than a decade ago by the same country that apparently committed an act of war against the US. Calling election meddling an act of war completely deflates the term.

*that the loser seemed intent on losing anyway

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Do "strong-man dictators" include monarchies? Those usually require an heir.
I feel like they don't, given that monarchs can be pretty limited in their ability to exercise power, while their source of legitimacy also being more institutional. A strongman dictatorship can evolve into a monarchy though, stability being achieved because your kid is generally less likely to bump you off than some dude not related to you.

Fake edit: I do