Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Drakkel posted:

Wasn't that literally the feud between Kevin Owens and Shane?

Literally this past week with Kevin Owens and Adam Pearce and Sonya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxoTTnvfMnQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Astro7x posted:

Back in the 90's, Stone Cold embodied what everyone wanted to do to their own boss, stand up to them and kick their rear end.

These days, the faces get told that they are going to be fired or left off Wrestlemania or some poo poo, and then they beg for forgiveness and grovel about how much they need this job for their family.

I don't know what Market Cap has to do with anything.

Their licensing deals are $790M of the $1.02B in revenue that they made last year. That's NBC, Peacock, Fox, Blood Money, International TV, and International Network Subscriptions. 77% of their revenue is basically decided on what other companies think they are worth, which they have no control over. And they still only made $210M in earnings after expenses. Taking a 25% hit on the TV deals because they are underperforming in ratings would cause them to lose money.

Also, anyone with half a brain would realize that buying a company for all that work would only make $200M a year. And that's also for short term gains. Buying the company requires you to be able to know what you are doing to create new stars. It's not like buying Marvel where you own Iron Man and Captain America, where you can always fall back on making toys and poo poo. You're basically locked into creating a weekly wrestling show where your top characters can become injured, retire, or decide to jump ship at the end of their contract. You don't own anything that makes people tune in each week. You own the name and all the equipment, essentially

And if they sell to someone that they are currently licensing to, like NBCU, they are going to lose money immediately. Like WWE currently makes $200M a year off of Peacock alone. But even if the 2M people that watch Smackdown all buy Peacock every month for a whole year, they're only making $120M off of subscriptions. Which means a NBCU owned WWE would make $80M/year less off of PPVs alone, which cuts into that $210 million of profits by reducing it by 38%. And that's a very favorable estimate, since it's likely that closer to only 1 Million people are paying for Peacock for PPV, which is closer to the North America WWE Network numbers. So they've just lost $160M of that $210M in profit because it's now based off actual subs rather than how much someone is willing to pay for the content.

And to top all that off, NBCU made $116 Billion in revenue last year and 15 Billion in income. Why the hell do they want to take on the responsibility of running a wrestling company where they would maybe make $50 Million/year when it's much easier to just license it from the company they thinks knows what they are doing? It just seems like a dumb move. It's not like Disney buying Star Wars and Marvel

The total value of the deals matter because the potential buyers would likely be the companies paying these media rights fees. So when someone says they expect WWE to be bought below their value, that's why I bring up their market cap, because they are not getting sold for under their value, not when they have such huge contracts out there.

They don't care as much about WWE making those profits, which are still substantial. NBC Universal has 2 billion in rights fees contracts with WWE. The value of the company is 4.25 billion. They could try to buy the company and instead of paying WWE that much money, they would own the company. If they wanted Smackdown back (and they did but Fox made it too expensive) they'd have to make another billion investment. WWE is not "underperforming." Without the NFL Raw is still usually #1 on cable for the night and places highly for the week overall. Raw keeps declining, but cable overall keeps declining, so unless their declines get much steeper, it's not going to get less money when these contracts end.

Being locked into making those TV shows is not a bad thing it is what these companies want. They want to put those shows on their networks that's why they pay so much for them!

That's why if WWE sold, it wouldn't be for below their market value, because the people who want their programming would see it as a value proposition. ESPN was interested in UFC early on in their sale proceedings for that reason. Paramount bought Bellator (obviously a much smaller deal) for that reason.

It's the reverse situation of when Disney bought ABC and why all of these media conglomerates are merging they want vertical integration so they can control as much of the content and distribution as possible.

I don't expect WWE to be sold. But at the end of the day they'll have companies paying as much or likely more for this TV and one of them might decide they want to just buy the company and wrap up that content forever. Each one has a reason not to. Peacock is losing huge amounts of money, Fox doesn't have a premium OTT network so they might just keep upping rights. But then a company like Amazon might just step in and decide WWE is exactly what they want on Prime. They were interested but not a major player last time. They might be this time as they keep getting more aggressive on live programming.

And Marvel wasn't the obvious media empire it was in 2009 that it is now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Charlotte is moving up to Hogan levels of just not selling for people.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Astro7x posted:

He almost broke his ankle jumping off of the wrestlemania sign last year. What a heel

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ali made the dumb mistake that Brodie and other people did: publicly tweeting about asking their release, which seems to make the company more petty. People like Toni, Jeff, and others fared far better when they just didn't even bother loving showing up or doing what they were supposed to. It sucks so much but Idk what he expected, knowing fully well how this went for guys like PAC. Like when was the last time they said "sure you're free see ya" lol

Jeff's release was a masterclass in tricking the company while also making them look like the assholes when they didn't initially release his drug test. It's better to feign insanity in WWE to get fired than it is to stoically tweet "I have asked for my release" because it only enrages WWE more and you're probably more likely to get imprisoned for it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DLC Inc posted:

Ali made the dumb mistake that Brodie and other people did: publicly tweeting about asking their release, which seems to make the company more petty. People like Toni, Jeff, and others fared far better when they just didn't even bother loving showing up or doing what they were supposed to. It sucks so much but Idk what he expected, knowing fully well how this went for guys like PAC. Like when was the last time they said "sure you're free see ya" lol

Jeff's release was a masterclass in tricking the company while also making them look like the assholes when they didn't initially release his drug test. It's better to feign insanity in WWE to get fired than it is to stoically tweet "I have asked for my release" because it only enrages WWE more and you're probably more likely to get imprisoned for it.

His mistake is he invoked The Joker but was not willing to be The Joker.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MassRafTer posted:

We joke but I bet if you just walked into Vince’s office looked him in the eye with a poo poo eating grin and pissed on his fancy desk he would either fire you or give you the Wrestlemania main event.

Always side with labour.

Astro7x posted:

They’ve done it repeatedly for YEARS. I remember wrestlers cowering to Vince/the Authority back not long after [redacted] killed himself, again around 2009 with midcard acts, 2011 or 2012, 2014 and 2015 when I stopped watching even part time. From this thread alone there have been numerous people kissing management’s rear end nonstop since then. I remember Jericho and Angle did it too way back when but they were more comedy acts when they did it and it was for “laughs”. Also not including Trish barking for him either but yeah… as much as Vince is supposed to like the “strong loner alpha male” he sure likes demeaning people on camera as much if not more.

Edited for phone typos aka I hate autocorrect

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 12, 2022

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fellas is it a strong alpha move to tear both my rear end muscles from simply walking into the ring

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

DogsInSpace! posted:

They’ve done it repeatedly for YEARS. I remember wrestlers cowering to Vince/the Authority back not long after [redacted] killed himself, again around 2009 with midcard acts, 2011 or 2012, 2014 and 2015 when I stopped watching even part time. From this thread alone there have been numerous people missing management’s rear end nonstop since then. I remember Jericho and Angle did it too way back when but they were more comedy acts when they did it and it was for “laughs”. Also not including Trish barking for him either but yeah… as much as Vince is supposed to like the “strong loner alpha male” he sure likes demeaning people on camera as much if not more.

In the middle of Becky Lynch becoming the WWE's hottest star in years on the back of a rebellious badass streak leading up to the first ever women's wrestlemania main with the single most visible female combat sports star ever they STILL did a segment where the match only happened because Becky kowtowed and apologized to HHH and Stephanie and begged them, there is no bottom to this barrel.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hey, remember that lol TNA moment when a bunch of their talent, almost word-for-word, tweeted the same drat thing?

I hope to god this ends with WWE being bought out by the Harris Twins.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 12, 2022

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
poo poo like this really makes WWE feel like an MLM. Even down to the cult-like poo poo like "We're your family now."

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Standard corporate practice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZggCipbiHwE

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Did Charlotte forget how to sell over the last few years? I seem to remember her being vaguely competent at least but this poo poo would make a Scott Steiner blush.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

Did Charlotte forget how to sell over the last few years? I seem to remember her being vaguely competent at least but this poo poo would make a Scott Steiner blush.

She's apparently changed and gotten a huge ego over the years to the point where even her old friends are sick of her. She barely sells for her opponents now and makes them look like poo poo.

https://twitter.com/whipdoja/status/1491816348565098498

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 13, 2022

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

WWE will have a presence tomorrow night at Super Bowl LVI because there will be two ads airing to promote WrestleMania on Peacock. Dave Meltzer confirmed today that the ads are from NBCUniversal and not paid for by WWE.

“They’re not buying the commercial,” Meltzer said about WWE. “The network is buying the commercials. It’s a Peacock commercial, not a WWE commercial. WrestleMania will be featured in the Peacock commercial.”

Meltzer noted that after the 1999 Super Bowl ad, Vince McMahon felt that they were a waste of money and he opted not to run Super Bowl ads again. Super Bowl ad rates are at an all-time high this year. NBC’s asking price for a Super Bowl ad this year is $6.5 million per 30-second commercial, an increase from the $5.5 million asked for in 2021.

“Vince has said publicly and he has said to me that it was a waste of money,” Meltzer added. “That’s why they never did it again. At the time everybody talked about it but for what their company is — a Super Bowl commercial for some things would work. A Super Bowl commercial for Peacock makes sense…”

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Their licensing deals are $790M of the $1.02B in revenue that they made last year. That's NBC, Peacock, Fox, Blood Money, International TV, and International Network Subscriptions. 77% of their revenue is basically decided on what other companies think they are worth, which they have no control over. And they still only made $210M in earnings after expenses. Taking a 25% hit on the TV deals because they are underperforming in ratings would cause them to lose money.

Also, anyone with half a brain would realize that buying a company for all that work would only make $200M a year. And that's also for short term gains. Buying the company requires you to be able to know what you are doing to create new stars. It's not like buying Marvel where you own Iron Man and Captain America, where you can always fall back on making toys and poo poo. You're basically locked into creating a weekly wrestling show where your top characters can become injured, retire, or decide to jump ship at the end of their contract. You don't own anything that makes people tune in each week. You own the name and all the equipment, essentially

And if they sell to someone that they are currently licensing to, like NBCU, they are going to lose money immediately. Like WWE currently makes $200M a year off of Peacock alone. But even if the 2M people that watch Smackdown all buy Peacock every month for a whole year, they're only making $120M off of subscriptions. Which means a NBCU owned WWE would make $80M/year less off of PPVs alone, which cuts into that $210 million of profits by reducing it by 38%. And that's a very favorable estimate, since it's likely that closer to only 1 Million people are paying for Peacock for PPV, which is closer to the North America WWE Network numbers. So they've just lost $160M of that $210M in profit because it's now based off actual subs rather than how much someone is willing to pay for the content.
The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for WWE at Sacrifice

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

the unfortunate fact for peacock is that people have already written it off as a garbage streaming service with limited content and a superbowl ad isn't going to change that

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Don't forget that existing Comcast/Xfinity customers are getting Peacock for free, so some amount of those subscriptions are free ones.

And as one of those customers, I've still never bothered to ever use Peacock.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd be curious to see if the paying numbers for Peacock went up when the Network content hit the service but getting actual detailed numbers for the service will probably never happen cause than the game will be over

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

they almost got me with the olympics but thankfully someone gave me their xfinity login

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

did they ever get all the wwe content from the previous network added on there or have they continued to gently caress that up too

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Orange Carlisle posted:

the unfortunate fact for peacock is that people have already written it off as a garbage streaming service with limited content and a superbowl ad isn't going to change that

If my experience with peacock through comcoast is the norm I can't see a single person transitioning to a paid account

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Gonzo McFee posted:

I swear every woman wrestler in WWE are in giant rear end heels for every non wrestling segment even if they gotta take bumps. Charlotte always moves like a snail and bumps horribly because of it.

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 13, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:cripes:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Drip Matt Camp

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gonzo McFee posted:

You don't have to sell when the company has shown that you can do whatever you want and they're still going to push the gently caress out of you.

Hey, remember when she rag-dolled an unconscious Kairi Sane around and got let off scot-free? Fun times.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Peacock is great because the new saved by the bell might be the show of the year two years in a row

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

When I saw that I turned to my wife and asked, "How could they possibly gently caress up this badly in the first five seconds?"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Peacock is great because the new saved by the bell might be the show of the year two years in a row

They didn't have Scenes From a Marriage last year or Peacemaker this year, so I question both parts of this statement

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Vandar posted:

Hey, remember when she rag-dolled an unconscious Kairi Sane around and got let off scot-free? Fun times.
No, when was this? Are we conflating her power bombing a concussed Kairi and Brie Bella dragging around an unresponsive Liv Morgan? Or Nia Jax flailing around and ragdolling Kairi?

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Spiderdrake posted:

No, when was this? Are we conflating her power bombing a concussed Kairi and Brie Bella dragging around an unresponsive Liv Morgan? Or Nia Jax flailing around and ragdolling Kairi?

Heavily copywritten stuff: but here's the tl;dr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4-j0KZgWnA

Context: It was Becky Lynch and Charlotte vs. the Kabuki Warriors at TLC 2019

Kairi was hurt (likely concussed) in a barricade spot, outside the ring

Here's where it gets iffy, as everyone seems to recall it in their own way.

Charlotte spears a concussed (?) Kairi. It looks like poo poo.

Seemingly in response, Charlotte paintbrushes her with a slap while Kairi is down.

Charlotte gets Kairi to her feet, and seemingly forces her up for a powerbomb, through a table.

Kairi possibly starts to shoot a bit, to fight out of it. Real punches, but they look weak, and to the arm as she sandbags the attempt.

Charlotte puts her through anyway, with some snap to it.

Becky and Asuka virtually break kayfabe to hide Kairi under the ring apron for the rest of the match.

It would not be the last time Charlotte did something like this.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm not asking you to relate a match I described in the post you're replying to. Vandar said unconscious.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Windham6/status/1492887494018408451?s=20&t=Yck3qr25bOv52Zr7GOSghA

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

I was the first person to say EMF was always bad

there's no edit that's going to make it a good sell, so

I was wrong, it wasn't even the worst sell she had in that five-second span
https://twitter.com/speakinofquaa/status/1492353272216236040?s=20&t=cFDSjaqhqtF5OcthqzXsdw

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

lmao https://twitter.com/MHClark2617/status/1492900982287585286?t=EGmGZPs24tjlqHRr183axw&s=19

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eat My Fuc posted:

Ali isn't bright enough to just tweet "gently caress Vince McMahon" and get fired immediately. If he can't figure that poo poo out he's either dumb as gently caress or disingenuous as gently caress and wants to garner sympathy while being paid to sit at home. This dude still can't get over the fact that it was Kofi's time not his and he's never had any great matches that weren't with Brian Danielson who can get a great match out of anyone. Getting fired from any job is extremely easy.

These words are harsh but Ali made a sacred internet vow to become the Joker by tweeting that picture of the Joker. He did not become Jokerfied. It's like breaking a toxx. I would ask my friend EMF to be kinder to this man even if he lied to us via a picture, but some parts of internet culture are sacred.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

This entrance gives me chills, probably my favorite WWE moment.
https://youtu.be/q-GMb0x9pII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
eat my fuc please stop posting about chris-chan