Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Kraftwerk posted:

I think it’s obvious the reason why these cops aren’t getting fired or dealt with is because capital doesn’t want them gone. The wealthy are still gonna do fine in a fascist society so nothings being done.

What makes me absolutely furious is the double standard.
The climate change protestors, the g20 protestors and any native group demanding their rights be protected would never have gotten this far. And if they did the army would’ve been called in for sure.

Trudeau would immediately invoke the war measures act if Ottawa was in open revolt to try and change things like economic inequality or if they wanted police reform.

I am so angry about this but I have nowhere to put my anger. I’m just powerless thinking I can control this situation because I’m mainlining the information through the internet.

Under normal circumstances wanting to get rid of these protestors should mean that I have the full backing of the establishment but we don’t even have that. We have nothing. They’re just gonna let these neo fascists take over and the rest of us don’t have any mechanism to resist with. As a nation we’ve been taken hostage by foreign right wing extremist groups. They’re super well organized while we’re mocking them on FB and correcting their grammar.

The right keeps winning and the left keeps losing.

On the plus side it's definitely shook a lot of peoples conditioning about the police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

e: ^I agree with you there, and this reckoning was a long time in coming. People had plenty of opportunities to listen to reason before: INM; BLM; countless Indigenous sovereignty-adjacent protests, and they chose wrong every time. Maybe a bit of a nip on the cheek from the leopard will do them some good.

infernal machines posted:

Well, we've speculated that he is, but frankly it doesn't matter. If he can't control his own force then he is not capable of performing his duties. Find someone who is.

Find someone who will start enforcing consequences for not following orders. These people have careers, and they have a lot to lose.

What they do not have is fear, because their not-a-union-union can and will [continue to] agitate to prevent any change that could lead to the disciplinary process becoming useful.

Also, and I don't say this as a shot at you, but I'm as confident as I can be that the speculation is true without the firsthand knowledge to assert it outright. He'd lost them before he was even hired, and the colour of his skin wasn't the least of his problems.

Kraftwerk posted:

What makes me absolutely furious is the double standard.

The wheel keeps landing on "IT'S WHITE SUPREMACY STUPID" and everyone insists on spinning it again

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

So when (if?) this is all over - there is going to be a bunch of city councillors and residents out for blood from the police.

How much power does the city council have over the police force? If it is indeed just mass amounts of officers ignoring orders, can they all just be fired and new recruits hired?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

The wheel keeps landing on "IT'S WHITE SUPREMACY STUPID" and everyone insists on spinning it again

This bit is darkly loving hilarious.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Alctel posted:

How much power does the city council have over the police force? If it is indeed just mass amounts of officers ignoring orders, can they all just be fired and new recruits hired?

Explain how you'd even go about firing a whole police force who is already ignoring their orders. How are you going to take away their weapons and equipment?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Alctel posted:

So when (if?) this is all over - there is going to be a bunch of city councillors and residents out for blood from the police.

Apparently the Board can direct the police chief to achieve a certain goal, but not individual police officers to do particular things.

The power to disband the OPS for "flagrantly or repeatedly fail[ing] to comply with prescribed standards of police services" lies with the Ontario Civilian Police Commission; that's s.23(1) of the Police Services Act. In the case that happens, it'd be the OPP who become responsible for policing here and, well, scroll up. That commission can also suspend the chief and/or members of the board, or (and this is the likelist option) appoint an administrator to "perform specified functions WRT police matters for a specified period".

I am not optimistic that any of these things will happen.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fart Amplifier posted:

Explain how you'd even go about firing a whole police force who is already ignoring their orders. How are you going to take away their weapons and equipment?
The army rolls in and arrests them?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

Apparently the Board can direct the police chief to achieve a certain goal, but not individual police officers to do particular things.

The power to disband the OPS for "flagrantly or repeatedly fail[ing] to comply with prescribed standards of police services" lies with the Ontario Civilian Police Commission; that's s.23(1) of the Police Services Act. In the case that happens, it'd be the OPP who become responsible for policing here and, well, scroll up. That commission can also suspend the chief and/or members of the board, or (and this is the likelist option) appoint an administrator to "perform specified functions WRT police matters for a specified period".

I am not optimistic that any of these things will happen.

I agree with you regarding Sloley, but even if the rest of your assessment is correct (and I don't doubt that it is), someone has to start these steps anyway, just sitting around wringing their hands that things aren't going the way they're supposed to hasn't worked for the last week and a half.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Fart Amplifier posted:

Well I mean that's why I was asking, I don't really know how any of this works

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Generally speaking if a government loses control of its police and military it won’t be the government for very long. I don’t even think the army will follow orders if they get asked to restore order.
Especially seeing as our politicians just dismissed (rightfully so) multiple army leaders for sexual crimes.

The entire power apparatus of military and policing in this country has to be dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up. But how do you do that when many of the skills and equipment needed are controlled by the same people you need to get rid of??

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 13, 2022

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Grouchio posted:

The army rolls in and arrests them?

That would be a disaster.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Generally speaking if a government loses control of its police and military it won’t be the government for very long. I don’t even think the army will follow orders if they get asked to restore order.
Especially seeing as our politicians just dismissed (rightfully so) multiple army leaders for sexual crimes.

The entire power apparatus of military and policing in this country has to be dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up. But how do you do that when many of the skills and equipment needed are controlled by the same people you need to get rid of??

For more on this topic, we turn to special correspondent Ashraf Ghani

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

For more on this topic, we turn to special correspondent Ashraf Ghani

Yeah… it’s hard not to panic right now. Everyone thinks it’s Canada so nothing bad ever happens here. But I think because of that and because of how radicalized these people are we could be seeing our government illegally overthrown in a very short time.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kraftwerk posted:

I think it’s obvious the reason why these cops aren’t getting fired or dealt with is because capital doesn’t want them gone. The wealthy are still gonna do fine in a fascist society so nothings being done.

How the hell destroying trade between US and CN 'helping capital'.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

killer_robot posted:

How the hell destroying trade between US and CN 'helping capital'.

Because they’ll absorb short term losses for the long term gain of having a full right wing government in Canada that undoes all the things that are politically inconvenient for America.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 13, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fart Amplifier posted:

Would it be any worse than the October Crisis?

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So what would it take to get a full right wing from capital's viewpoint govt in Canada? When was the last time Canada even had a full right wing govt? How is pissing on war memorials and making it impossible to navigate through the city supposed to convince a parliamentary system to go full right wing?

Are people being swayed by the tactics? Or is just a big assed, intimidating mob that the Mounties don't want to deal with because they have a lot more assault rifles, tactics, finances and logistics than pop-up indigenous peoples protesters could hope to have?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It's the second one by a wide margin, with an asterisk for the foreign organization and funding.

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah… it’s hard not to panic right now. Everyone thinks it’s Canada so nothing bad ever happens here. But I think because of that and because of how radicalized these people are we could be seeing our government illegally overthrown in a very short time.

Would Biden allow that? Cause I have the suspicion Biden wouldn't allow that

DiscretionOverValor
Nov 25, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Why would Biden save us?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

It's the second one by a wide margin, with an asterisk for the foreign organization and funding.

I don’t know what Biden would or wouldn’t allow and at this point I’m not even sure how much power he has to stop it given his own political fortunes back home. The right is in full ascent and nothing is slowing them down.

If the United States has to cross our borders and step in to stop this then that sets a very nasty precedent when the next Republican president decides our abortion laws or healthcare system offends his Christian sensibilities and gives us ultimatums for the next time troops cross the border.

I would rather our government handle this if possible without outside assistance. But at this point only trudeau and his advisers know if they have any reliable military or RCMP divisions to deploy here.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Man, if JT gets his “just watch me” moment…

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

The War Measures Act was dissolved in 88, so it’s unlikely.

(As much as I’d love to see it invoked on these nazis, it led to things like Japanese Internment so it is objectively A Bad Thing.)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

ChickenDoodle posted:

The War Measures Act was dissolved in 88, so it’s unlikely.

Replaced by the Emergencies Act.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Rust Martialis posted:

Replaced by the Emergencies Act.

I literally just got to that part of the Wiki, ope. Thanks for the reminder.

Would love to see him do it. Come on, Trudeau. It’s now or never.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grouchio posted:

Would it be any worse than the October Crisis?

Depends on if you consider the overthrow of the current government for an explicitly fascistic one is worse, I suppose.

I sincerely can't even begin to imagine what Trudeau is thinking. Is he legitimately worried or is he just laughing it off because it's Canada Eh, boys will be boys and this'll be forgotten this time next year!

I know the Conservatives are convinced that they won't be hanging from the rafters when things go full turner diaries (they definitely will be, these are the same kind of people that wanted to hang mike pence), but are the liberals convinced that since they don't really believe in things like indigenous rights or public housing that they'll be safe?

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 13, 2022

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
If the armed forces are actually full of chuds then we should legit be asking for a US invasion and annexation because our government is effectively already couped, and say what you will about the hosed up incentives of the US military, they aren’t Qanon psychos

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
https://mobile.twitter.com/jacoblorinc/status/1492847772449619968

Sounds like arrests are finally happening at the bridge.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

And gee, only a whole two days after the injection was supposed to go into effect. Boy golly, aren't our police swift moving? Let me guess, the people being arrested are ciunter-protestors, aren't they.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

sniper4625 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jacoblorinc/status/1492847772449619968

Sounds like arrests are finally happening at the bridge.

Is this really just them worried bout an optics thing

Development
Jun 2, 2016

https://twitter.com/consumersos/status/1492837415790260226?s=21

https://twitter.com/consumersos/status/1492843713218985990?s=21

https://twitter.com/consumersos/status/1492815833797730305?s=21

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Is this really just them worried bout an optics thing

If police work on Sunday do they get extra OT pay? Maybe it was just simple grift after all.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Fart Amplifier posted:

This is already a disaster.

The longer this goes on the more concerned I'm becoming about an actual attempted government overthrow. I look at the chain of who could actually enforce anything here and it doesn't look good.
Our nation's capital police force has fully revolted and is no longer responding to orders, they are basically an enemy to the state at this point. Are we really sure that they would prevent occupiers from storming Parliament?
If one were to disband them, you replace them with what, OPP or RCMP? That's not exactly an improvement, they are all infected by right-wing extremists. None of them can be considered a reliable force.

The military is crap also but I think they would actually do something. Not 100% sure but it's a better bet than any police.

Hell, I would be on board with something crazy like importing 5,000 french riot police, although that's of course not anything that would ever be done.

In any case, this is the end result of allowing law enforcement to reign unchecked for decades.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fidelitious posted:

In any case, this is the end result of allowing law enforcement to reign unchecked for decades.

Au contraire, mon ami. It's just the beginning

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Guys

There are actually consequences in the military for refusing to carry out lawful orders

Unlike the cops who pick and choose which orders they follow with no consequences

It might be at the point that Coutts and Ottawa might need da truups brought in, lordy it'd be interesting to see the vandoos in Alberta.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

It might be at the point that Coutts and Ottawa might need da truups brought in, lordy it'd be interesting to see the vandoos in Alberta.

The immediate consequence of that would be those troops becoming unavailable to go to Kyiv, which I think we've all accepted is the whole point.

Fidelitious posted:

This is already a disaster.

The longer this goes on the more concerned I'm becoming about an actual attempted government overthrow. I look at the chain of who could actually enforce anything here and it doesn't look good.
Our nation's capital police force has fully revolted and is no longer responding to orders, they are basically an enemy to the state at this point. Are we really sure that they would prevent occupiers from storming Parliament?
If one were to disband them, you replace them with what, OPP or RCMP? That's not exactly an improvement, they are all infected by right-wing extremists. None of them can be considered a reliable force.

The military is crap also but I think they would actually do something. Not 100% sure but it's a better bet than any police.

Hell, I would be on board with something crazy like importing 5,000 french riot police, although that's of course not anything that would ever be done.

If this happens to be the final straw, Canada is going to have some uncomfortable interventions about our relationship with white supremacy, and the backlash from people who refuse to live in a world where the cishet christian male isn't on top are gonna make Pat King look like Larry King.

I don't pretend to know anything about PPS, but I can't see them taking any kind of meaningful stand against a group large enough to overwhelm the OPS. A small dog with sharp teeth locked in a little car doesn't have much of a reason to take poo poo from anybody, so whatever the culture is in there probably won't be swayed by what's going on out here.

Legally, I still think the most likely step is for the civilian board to appoint an administrator to run the police service. I have no idea what Queen's Park might do to castigate the mayor and council for letting it get to this point, and I have mixed feelings about finding that out firsthand.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/OccTranspo/status/1492865604436606979

Cool. Cool cool cool cool cool.

Cool.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Forget the OPS board; the OPS rogue cops should be charged with high treason.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 13, 2022

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cut 10% from the Ottawa Police budget every day until the trucks are gone holy gently caress this is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Technically the British maintain the right to intervene if Canada goes off the rails but it's a long trip and they'd probably not want to bother with the mess