Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
There are times when you're supposed to have an easy time plowing through mobs, and times when they hit like trucks and have a bunch of mechanics. Things start picking up in the 30's and even some of the trash packs are pretty deadly towards hitting 50. Like most mmorpgs remember the 1-50 is basically a tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I think Summoner also kind of sucks right now and is due for a revamp, so they wanted to wait until that was done.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Sintor posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J6GpgAAXuGMZ00e52HLwW8Nwqcknzj5uEUfdHPyWC6Y/edit

Islands give a ton of engravings. You likely need Class Engraving Selection chests, which are out there in bulk. If you're one short, though, that's like 10 minutes of island hopping.

Thanks, I was afraid I made a huge mistake pumping all my engraving books into one skill before reading a guide and realizing I should probably use them on the other, but getting another 20 green class books isn't that hard at all.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Saint Freak posted:

Gotta do that Voldo Soul Calibur walk.

If I could buy a thing on the store that let me reverse crab walk everywhere I went I would 100% pay for that on every character.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

junan_paalla posted:

Thanks, I was afraid I made a huge mistake pumping all my engraving books into one skill before reading a guide and realizing I should probably use them on the other, but getting another 20 green class books isn't that hard at all.

I think the tl;dr is that Uncommon (green) Engravings are easy to get, just take a bit of time. Rare Engravings are still farmable but a bit slower. And past that is where the farmfest starts.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

acumen posted:

Like most mmorpgs remember the 1-50 is basically a tutorial.
It takes 30 minutes or less to learn the combat. You don't need 40 hours of leveling before turning up the difficulty. And this game has some designs to allow alts. They just way undertuned this game so that the lowest denominator, who are likely the biggest whales, wouldn't quit before being hooked.

It sucks because we solved the issue of how to give a fair challenge to the lowest and highest skilled players decades ago: difficulty settings. Why can't we have a hard or very hard options for the entire leveling? I think Diablo 3 had that, and both have similar gameplay styles.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm not sure what L I'm supposed to be taking - I said that I don't like F2P/mobile game monetization schemes and this game has one which is one of several reasons I haven't had fun playing it (I also posted about the other reasons). Then you posted a long rant defending the game and its monetization practices and asked what items in the cash shop whales would whale out on. I posted screenshots of the items in the cash shop that whales would whale out on and then you posted another long rant saying "well yes of course there are items whales would whale out on" and defending the game and its monetization practices, saying they're not that bad.

What was the competition that I lost? Are you projecting? Are you a... *gulp*... a f2p cash shop addict yourself, rationalizing your decisions? No, you're probably not, but in what world is defending scummy business practices to this length a cool thing to do, lmao

Just because you don't feel (and/or claim to not feel) like the cash shop preys on you personally does not mean it's not predatory. F2P game cash shops are designed to be predatory by their very nature, and I've made a few posts that you've quoted explaining why that you didn't read.

*slams open the door, sprints into thread*

guys...the....free game...*pant pant*...actually wants you to...spend money

fuckin' mindblowing, I know, had to warn you all

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Charles 1998 posted:

It sucks because we solved the issue of how to give a fair challenge to the lowest and highest skilled players decades ago: difficulty settings. Why can't we have a hard or very hard options for the entire leveling? I think Diablo 3 had that, and both have similar gameplay styles.

There *is* a hardmode option for all the leveling dungeons.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Please don’t buy anything on the cash shop guys

(except from the pretty piñata)

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

junan_paalla posted:

Yea, but leveling dungeons make up 5% or less of the time spent. And only 2 difficulties isn't enough.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

junan_paalla posted:

I died in the second dungeon on hard, though I'm on deathblade and suck at video games

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Any classes that are known to suck in late game?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Thought Id play a little in the morning as have a full day later. 3 hour maintenance :gonk:

Burn My Dread
Feb 23, 2007

Tear up your fear, the end is coming near, spit it out like a spear, I'll burn your dread
babe

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

junan_paalla posted:

there is but it's still ludicrously easy, I can't even imagine what normal is like

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Nope, all content has been cleared on all classes.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Good to see Amazon is only handling the distribution stuff, and all the more reason to avoid spending, for me at least.

Installing this now. Not sure what I'd want to play, but I'm leaning towards Sorceress, but the punchmen also seem interesting. We'll see after the 70GB DL :negative:

EDIT: Looking at some more stuff, I stopped the download. Might check it out if things calm down but eh

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 13, 2022

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh god all this stronghold stuff and engraving and these rocks oh god why did all of this unlock simultaneously jesus christ.

Also I'm starting to wonder if Deathblade is bad, it feels like I need to piano all my skills to do the damage my zerker buddy can do by pressing one button. The only exception is uhhh the move where you make three spinny circles, that one does an absurdly massive amount of damage over a pretty huge AoE and is basically insane. Also the class gauge is really boring. I looked into some of the other options and I think it might literally be the MOST boring?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ninjoatse.cx posted:

They're all pretty strong but the two support classes, bard and paladin, will struggle more than the others to solo stuff. They're high demand in group content though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Philthy posted:

I kinda agree with some of this. The difficulty is set way way low. I'm not expecting anything hardcore, but when you agro a group of creatures you should be concerned. Instead, it's a slaughter. If they redid creatures to have the baseline stats of the rare glowy monsters then i'd be pretty happy.

What do the raids consist of? 100 people all fighting a boss? Is that a challenge?

Endgame raids are 4- or 8-man parties
they also have actual mechanics that will wipe the party if you don't execute them correctly. Supposedly not very complicated but pubbies are still bad enough at them that my buddy spend 2 hours trying different public parties for the same raid.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Philthy posted:

I kinda agree with some of this. The difficulty is set way way low. I'm not expecting anything hardcore, but when you agro a group of creatures you should be concerned. Instead, it's a slaughter. If they redid creatures to have the baseline stats of the rare glowy monsters then i'd be pretty happy.

What do the raids consist of? 100 people all fighting a boss? Is that a challenge?

The endgame is absolutely dominating a lot of people. It’s frankly amazing how bad people are at this game so far. There are a lot of people doing almost nothing in group raids.

I did two different guardian raid pugs today; the first one I did 45% of the overall damage, the second time I did 46%. In a 4 person group. I’m not super good and I don’t even have my class engraving.

People are just, in general, having a hard time understanding what they’re doing. In a bunch of different ways too. When you go into 380-400+ gear level right now the chance of failing in a pug is high even if you’re pulling more than your weight, because odds are half of your group is doing no damage and using all of your shared resurrections.

I would not call this game easy. People will improve over time though, one would think. Bit of a clown show at the moment, for sure.

E: and yes you read that right, resurrections are limited and shared meaning bad players can have a huge overall negative effect on group content. A single person can and will drain your entire res pool in no time, it’s pretty amazing.

Btw I’m a gunslinger named Strawberriez in starfleet dental on Mari. Hmu for group stuff.

Taima fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 13, 2022

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

This game has a classic MMO boss phase where they telegraph alternating bands of red circles and safe spaces. Half the group will stand in the danger zone and die over and over.

A lot of people thought this was a Diablo-like and have never dealt with WoW or FFXIV mechanics that will wipe you if you ignore them.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm not sure what L I'm supposed to be taking - I said that I don't like F2P/mobile game monetization schemes and this game has one which is one of several reasons I haven't had fun playing it (I also posted about the other reasons). Then you posted a long rant defending the game and its monetization practices and asked what items in the cash shop whales would whale out on. I posted screenshots of the items in the cash shop that whales would whale out on and then you posted another long rant saying "well yes of course there are items whales would whale out on" and defending the game and its monetization practices, saying they're not that bad.

What was the competition that I lost? Are you projecting? Are you a... *gulp*... a f2p cash shop addict yourself, rationalizing your decisions? No, you're probably not, but in what world is defending scummy business practices to this length a cool thing to do, lmao

Just because you don't feel (and/or claim to not feel) like the cash shop preys on you personally does not mean it's not predatory. F2P game cash shops are designed to be predatory by their very nature, and I've made a few posts that you've quoted explaining why that you didn't read.

My point is very, very simple. What are you spending the currency on for advancement? Wow -> Runs/titles/achievements/gear. Any given gacha -> Premium rolls, total character completion/combines, extra energy per day. An old mud example -> direct player power. You posted pictures of... conversions of gems (paid to in-game) and nonsensical items that don't move you forward? Random packs of cards that don't advance you forward? My understanding is gambling addiction requires some sort of possible payoff/desirable thing in the random pack/bet/whatever that you're convincing yourself you are buying towards. What is it here? If it doesn't exist, how is it predatory? Have you *gulp* enchanted a single item in this game to know the conversion rates? Probably not, I assume just threadshitting.

The L is, you posted a host of screenshots, made a bad assumption about pet looting being some sort of free sample bait/switch (I noticed you dropped this example), and now you're saying I said that whales will whale when I specifically said they won't. I said "the game has a cash shop with items you can purchase." We're talking about what a person would actually purchase and/or the expected return. How are these scummy business practices is my question? It's a F2P game, they have to make money somehow. They've trimmed back to nearly exclusively cosmetics. They've done plenty to curb it, it's actually kind of wild how far they're going to knock down FOMO and RNG pack gambling. Point is, they actually took steps to tone it down here.

If your point is all cash shops are bad, well, you're gonna have a hard time finding F2P MMO games in currentYear+.

Taima posted:

The endgame is absolutely dominating a lot of people. It’s frankly amazing how bad people are at this game so far. There are a lot of people doing almost nothing in group raids.

I did two guardian raids today; the first one I did 45% of the overall damage, the second time I did 46%. I’m not super good and I don’t even have my class engraving.

People are just, in general, having a hard time understanding what they’re doing. In a bunch of different ways too. When you go into 380-400+ gear level right now the chance of failing in a pug is high even if you’re pulling more than your weight, because odds are half of your group is doing no damage and using all of your shared resurrections.

I would not call this game easy. People will improve over time though, one would think. Bit of a clown show at the moment, for sure.

E: and yes you read that right, resurrections are limited and shared meaning bad players can have a huge overall negative effect on group content. A single person can and will drain your entire res pool in no time, it’s pretty amazing.

This is super true. Abyss dungeons don't have the Monster Hunter triple cart mechanic, but so far it seems they have way worse mechanical full wipe (looking at you, shadow dragon) abilities. On the flip side, I got into a premade earlier for the scorpion guardian (pressing matchmaking is like russian roulette with 5 bullets) and they all knew how to do the blue parry mechanic as well as the boss specials and good god drat did it melt with a ton of openings.

I also think people haven't realized that you can use the % health pots on guardians/abyss, just not the F1 regen pots. I see people pretty consistently never heal, even getting close to T2. You can make the cheap 30% ones for almost nothing, just harvesting flowers for a bit -- they don't even cost gold to manufacture like the bigger ones.

People are also doing that thing from MH where if the carts are used up, they uselessly circle the outside of the encounter at max range, causing the guardian/diablos to do insane cross screen chases, usually killing someone in the process.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Sintor posted:

I also think people haven't realized that you can use the % health pots on guardians/abyss, just not the F1 regen pots. I see people pretty consistently never heal, even getting close to T2. You can make the cheap 30% ones for almost nothing, just harvesting flowers for a bit -- they don't even cost gold to manufacture like the bigger ones.

Hah, I almost mentioned this specifically before figuring it might be getting into the weeds a bit but loving YES. Almost no one knows you can heal lmao

E: to be totally fair it is pretty nonintuitive I guess. Lost Ark is obtuse and overly complicated. I’ve been having a total blast but can also see why people would get to 50 and nope out, honestly.

Taima fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 13, 2022

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Tried playing yesterday evening but gave up when I saw there was a 12500 person queue.

Thought I'd pop on now for a bit, it's Sunday morning in the UK, get in before the queues build up. 9500 person queue :v:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Sintor posted:

My point is very, very simple. What are you spending the currency on for advancement? Wow -> Runs/titles/achievements/gear. Any given gacha -> Premium rolls, total character completion/combines, extra energy per day. An old mud example -> direct player power. You posted pictures of... conversions of gems (paid to in-game) and nonsensical items that don't move you forward? Random packs of cards that don't advance you forward? My understanding is gambling addiction requires some sort of possible payoff/desirable thing in the random pack/bet/whatever that you're convincing yourself you are buying towards. What is it here? If it doesn't exist, how is it predatory? Have you *gulp* enchanted a single item in this game to know the conversion rates? Probably not, I assume just threadshitting.

The L is, you posted a host of screenshots, made a bad assumption about pet looting being some sort of free sample bait/switch (I noticed you dropped this example), and now you're saying I said that whales will whale when I specifically said they won't. I said "the game has a cash shop with items you can purchase." We're talking about what a person would actually purchase and/or the expected return. How are these scummy business practices is my question? It's a F2P game, they have to make money somehow. They've trimmed back to nearly exclusively cosmetics. They've done plenty to curb it, it's actually kind of wild how far they're going to knock down FOMO and RNG pack gambling. Point is, they actually took steps to tone it down here.

If your point is all cash shops are bad, well, you're gonna have a hard time finding F2P MMO games in currentYear+.

This is super true. Abyss dungeons don't have the Monster Hunter triple cart mechanic, but so far it seems they have way worse mechanical full wipe (looking at you, shadow dragon) abilities. On the flip side, I got into a premade earlier for the scorpion guardian (pressing matchmaking is like russian roulette with 5 bullets) and they all knew how to do the blue parry mechanic as well as the boss specials and good god drat did it melt with a ton of openings.

People are also doing that thing from MH where if the carts are used up, they uselessly circle the outside of the encounter at max range, causing the guardian/diablos to do insane cross screen chases, usually killing someone in the process.

Carts? I have very little knowledge of monster hunter no matter how much I tried to get into world.. I'll admit to perhaps being that person that has run around the edge or close to it. I know I need to be more in the fight, but I've also found myself getting stuck playing dodge the red circles and unable to do any damage. Something I have been working on. Probably a bad habit somewhere I picked up from the few times I've tried to solo the world bosses. That all said, I know when I can get rolling on all my skills, the damage output is totally there because sorc is a beast. But for now, it is just a struggle with finding safe zones I can keep unloading from.

As for the p2w stuff, I agree, there is very little p2w in this game. I even tried to look it up just to see what is out there. I think I saw some stuff for reducing chances of failing at honing and that was about it. I'm sure it is there some place, but I just haven't seen it. The only p2w-ish thing I've seen is paying for instant completes for stuff at the stronghold. And while possible, that legitimately has a vibe of saying it isn't important as well.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

Bad Parenting posted:

Tried playing yesterday evening but gave up when I saw there was a 12500 person queue.

Thought I'd pop on now for a bit, it's Sunday morning in the UK, get in before the queues build up. 9500 person queue :v:

The queue does seem to go by pretty fast, especially compared to FFXIV.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Korean mmos are usually really egregious with the p2w / cash shop stuff too. Lost Ark is a nice change of pace from that.

"Carts" is just monhun-ese for extra lives basically. Particularly shared party-wide extra lives. In the monster hunter games, just like lost ark raids, you can only have a certain number of deaths for your whole party, or you'll get a game over. (In those games you get dragged back to camp on a cart when you get KOed).

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Gishin posted:

The queue does seem to go by pretty fast, especially compared to FFXIV.

It's gone down by about 500 people in 30 mins...

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Carts? I have very little knowledge of monster hunter no matter how much I tried to get into world.. I'll admit to perhaps being that person that has run around the edge or close to it. I know I need to be more in the fight, but I've also found myself getting stuck playing dodge the red circles and unable to do any damage. Something I have been working on. Probably a bad habit somewhere I picked up from the few times I've tried to solo the world bosses. That all said, I know when I can get rolling on all my skills, the damage output is totally there because sorc is a beast. But for now, it is just a struggle with finding safe zones I can keep unloading from.

As for the p2w stuff, I agree, there is very little p2w in this game. I even tried to look it up just to see what is out there. I think I saw some stuff for reducing chances of failing at honing and that was about it. I'm sure it is there some place, but I just haven't seen it. The only p2w-ish thing I've seen is paying for instant completes for stuff at the stronghold. And while possible, that legitimately has a vibe of saying it isn't important as well.

RPATDO_LAMD got it below, carts is just slang for the three shared resurrections (MH has had it for multiplayer for quite a while) due to the animation when it returns you to camp after you die/feint. It's understandable to hold off and try not to die to mechanics at a super far range, it's just counterproductive in large encounters like guardians and super aggressive monsters in MH. They're still gonna pick you for mechanics so if you're off-screen it can get real dicey for the people under the legs trying to predict what it's gonna do next. I'd say stay away but at least in visual range of the squad as a tip there. Doing less dps and staying out of range is great, just don't get charged 3 screens away.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Can we remove all the P2W talk in the thread and just have a disclaimer in the OP that there is a cash shop that sells progression items.

Also, genuinely surprised the shop doesn't have more cool cosmetics - I think there is only one outfit for my Striker, 2 mounts and 2(?) pets.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I hit 50 at the very start of the desert continent. from what I understand I have to finish that and a bunch of the next continent before stuff really starts opening up?

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

Bad Parenting posted:

It's gone down by about 500 people in 30 mins...

Weird. Hasn't been my experience. It took about 45 minutes for 3000 people for me. Sorry. :(

Catullus
Oct 1, 2003

sup 17k queue, Thirain server (EU).

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008

Catullus posted:

sup 17k queue, Thirain server (EU).

The game gives you some hope for the first 30 mins of queuing where the mostly sane people log off after seeing the length of the queue, shortening it by 3-4k very quickly. The other 10k however

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
8k took almost exactly an hour last night.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

any guilds on Vykas??

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

It's taken about 3 hours to get down from 9500 to 150th place in the queue today on Thirain (EU). Should get in just as I need to pop out for a while so I'll probably get back to being disconnected for being afk and a 15k+ queue again :suicide:

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Let's say I open my lawmaker skin on my sorceress - later I make a bard, am I free to trade that skin back and forth between them? I thought once you opened them they were completely bound to one character, but they also have trade limits on them which some video I watched explained as a limit to how many times they could be traded back and forth on the player market, but i also thought these skins weren't able to be sold like that once they were opened. So can I trade it freely between my own characters, and does doing so eat up the limited trade count thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

FFXIV Porn posted:

I hit 50 at the very start of the desert continent. from what I understand I have to finish that and a bunch of the next continent before stuff really starts opening up?

Vern is where you get access to chaos rifts, guardian raids, and receive a power pass. The latter is after the region's main quest, the former two shortly after you arrive.