Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Toshimo posted:

My one Xmas list item for whatever the next thing you do is: Don't put it on 12/24 hour cycles. For the love of god. 10/20 is great. Even like 11.5/23, if you have to stretch it. But having your whole reset window creep forwards just a few minutes a day until it's well and truly out-of-sync with your play hours is the worst. It's one of the biggest reasons I never finished OG NGU.

OG NGU eventually let you move to a 23 hour cycle through various upgrades, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

only for fruits, i believe

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

only for fruits, i believe

I mean sure but they're the only reason you'd rebirth at 24 instead of 23 anyways.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

wait y'all rebirth instead of just sitting on the same life for months on end until your advanced training creeps up high enough to move to the next adventure level?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

uPen posted:

I mean sure but they're the only reason you'd rebirth at 24 instead of 23 anyways.

maguffins!!!

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
i'll try to keep everything on a like 7/11/23 hour cycle systems, if i can. I would like players to see those sort of systems asap, like putting a 23 hour cooldown on the rate you can prestige your main rpg-y stats for some meta currencies. I don't want folks' first impression like in NGU that you need to babysit the game every 15 mins to progress.

i worked a bit on getting enemies to fire projectiles in real-time this morning and got this:

https://gfycat.com/skeletalopulentgermanshepherd

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh gently caress it's MMBN. :catstare:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
i actually felt my Gamer Instincts kick in in that demo and i wanted to dodge all the shots coming out (and ran into them instead, also true to my Gamer Instincts)

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Player Death (one of them!) and the blob projectile splash pics :D

e:

I wanna try something re: the video link

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SkeletalOpulentGermanshepherd-mobile.mp4

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Replicating MMBN in NGU2 makes me can’t wait to start Jack In!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Holy gently caress, MMBN. Already I am all in on this.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
megaman NGU would be the end of me.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Evolve idle: How do I bioseed? I kinda want to do the challenge run (no steel production, reach bioseed) but once I get past the MAD phase and start doing space stuff I get sorta confused as to how I actually progress. Do I need to probe each option and do w/e at each spot to unlock more options?

I can look at the wiki and see that it takes double my current knowledge cap to reach the bioseed requirement and like, that sounds insanely higher than I can reach right now.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Agent355 posted:

Evolve idle: How do I bioseed? I kinda want to do the challenge run (no steel production, reach bioseed) but once I get past the MAD phase and start doing space stuff I get sorta confused as to how I actually progress. Do I need to probe each option and do w/e at each spot to unlock more options?

I can look at the wiki and see that it takes double my current knowledge cap to reach the bioseed requirement and like, that sounds insanely higher than I can reach right now.

Bioseed is the second-to-last thing you'll do in the first space area and requires you to do all the various missions and unlock those locations, yes. You'll get research and building options for each of them over time. Once you unlock the Mars colony rebrand you'll get access to a very good science building which will help you with the knowledge requirements as well as alternative productions and the like. The moon rebrand also has a good research building although iridium will likely take a bunch of your cap.

You'll know you're close once you unlock the Space Dock. If you're still short on research then the capstone of the system is a giant research project which gives a large % cap boost.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 13, 2022

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Rynoto posted:

One of the tech unlocks is for CRISPR which is the primary reset currency spending area. You'll spend a few plasmids there to unlock challenges which allows you to start adding modifiers onto runs for more mastery which give larger multipliers to production.

A 3* run is No Free Trade (no manual trading), No Manual Crafting, and Junk Gene (weaker creep crispr, and a random neg trait). The fourth challenge is No Starting Plasmids which you won't want to do until you've left normal and have a good mastery reserve, which is what 3* runs are for. The way mastery works is each achievement gives a base of 0.25% bonus production with each challenge adding another 0.25%, so 3* is 1% bonus prod per achievement which adds up very quickly.

Hardened Genes and Unlocked are the two challenge upgrades you want - the first unlocking said challenges and the second adding the mastery bonuses for a total of 55 plasmids. While there you should also get Spatial Reasoning for storage from plasmids for 50. And all the craftsmen unlocks are required to make 3*s not take too long which will put you back 270.

I'm getting close to having the Rigorous plasmid upgrade. What's the best species to chain 3* runs as?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'm getting close to having the Rigorous plasmid upgrade. What's the best species to chain 3* runs as?

You'll want to be getting MAD stars with as many different species as you can to quickly build up mastery bonus. There's an important perk after doing 25 different ones, as well.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I gave up that run for bioseed, it just seemed to get glacially slow and I wasn't sure I'd even be able to finish, maybe I need more crisper upgrades.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

oldskool posted:

wait y'all rebirth instead of just sitting on the same life for months on end until your advanced training creeps up high enough to move to the next adventure level?

Yeah i sit on like 200 days rebirths now. My last one was 30 days ago. LOL.

There needs to be a big AP spend where there is a button you press that will save your current resource spends, and then put them back when you rebirth

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Agent355 posted:

I gave up that run for bioseed, it just seemed to get glacially slow and I wasn't sure I'd even be able to finish, maybe I need more crisper upgrades.

It's not necessary and I did my first 2 bioseeds without it , but the Ancients upgrade that gives you space religion technology makes things a lot easier. The knowledge cap seems intimidating but wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, Observatories and Satellites and Exotic Material Storages add up really quickly. Make sure you're keeping up with ARPA stuff and you have Stock Exchanges and Supercolliders building in the background, because they'll make a really big difference too for $/knowledge caps. I would not rush to do any kind of challenge mode, but do try to get a run in sooner or later even if you go back to doing MADs for a while -- the Governers CRISPR upgrade requires 25 of the bioseed currency to unlock which you should be able to grab in one run and it's very impactful.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Your first run of a higher reset tier will always take a good long while, and first 0* bioseed is fine once you're at softcap. They only get faster as you get more phage for higher softcap.

Of course I'm currently regretting going for the Slime Lord feat as the soul gem production of the sludge is soul crushingly slow.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I loving did it. After 936 days 11:30:48, I beat The End and I finished NGU. Even though my interest sagged towards the end, I was checking in intermittently and let my numbers keep going up. What a ride. I still vaguely remember when you started workshopping your ideas in this (previous iteration) thread. NGU is enshrined in my personal idle game top tier (along with Shark Game, Paperclips and A Dark Room).

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Was there another game like Evolve Idle where you researched stuff until you shot a rocket to the moon? Or was that just an earlier Evolve?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Tokelau All Star posted:

Was there another game like Evolve Idle where you researched stuff until you shot a rocket to the moon? Or was that just an earlier Evolve?

Kittens Game that evolve clearly takes inspiration from has a space portion.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Evolve Truepath run: Gosh that's a lot of He3 to make it to the next stage. I'm running up against shortages of crafted resources to make it over this hump; I have about 100k to go and the best storage that increases it by 12.6k is already requiring 1.65m Sheet Metal.

FAKE EDIT: Course, I'm dumb and forgot to stack Mass Drivers. Crash-building 8 more turned them white. :v:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

Evolve Truepath run: Gosh that's a lot of He3 to make it to the next stage. I'm running up against shortages of crafted resources to make it over this hump; I have about 100k to go and the best storage that increases it by 12.6k is already requiring 1.65m Sheet Metal.

FAKE EDIT: Course, I'm dumb and forgot to stack Mass Drivers. Crash-building 8 more turned them white. :v:

The tiny mission? That one was hell and required so many mass drivers, yeah :shepicide:

Are you doing Heavy? It was the only time I regretted being in that universe.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Posting for 4g so I can have cool stuff in his discord

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Rynoto posted:

Your first run of a higher reset tier will always take a good long while, and first 0* bioseed is fine once you're at softcap. They only get faster as you get more phage for higher softcap.

Do I want to bioseed before or after building MAD masteries?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Do I want to bioseed before or after building MAD masteries?

Do some 0* Bioseeds for cap as plasmids scale hard for a long while and spend excess plasmids for the crispr upgrades then swap to 3* MADs til ~30% mastery. That'll set you up to Blackhole out of standard.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Rynoto posted:

Do some 0* Bioseeds for cap as plasmids scale hard for a long while and spend excess plasmids for the crispr upgrades then swap to 3* MADs til ~30% mastery. That'll set you up to Blackhole out of standard.

See, I haven't bioseeded yet, but I just got the last Craftsmen plasmid upgrade, and was going to jump into 3* MADs like your original suggestion if you hadn't explained this. Thanks!

About how much of the Bioseed currency should I get (and what will that bump the Plasmid softcap to) before I swap over? Are there any other super important upgrades to get besides the challenge/achievement powerup ones, the first storage one, and the craftsmen ones?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

ZZT the Fifth posted:

See, I haven't bioseeded yet, but I just got the last Craftsmen plasmid upgrade, and was going to jump into 3* MADs like your original suggestion if you hadn't explained this. Thanks!

About how much of the Bioseed currency should I get (and what will that bump the Plasmid softcap to) before I swap over? Are there any other super important upgrades to get besides the challenge/achievement powerup ones, the first storage one, and the craftsmen ones?

Sorry, yeah! It's honestly stuff from so long ago that it can get jumbled. Phage is a 1:1 softcap upgrade to plasmids and you'll get 25?ish or so per Bioseed early on as well as a good amount of plasmids. Plasmids continue to scale pretty well until the 1k ish range before slowing and dropping off in the 2-3k at which point you've likely swapped to 4* and only use phage for storage, anyways. E: Probably 250ish Phage would be a good time as that doubles(ish) your plasmid bonus. If you've got the upgrades then 3*ing Bioseeds is fine too for even more mastery as it's not until Blackholes and up that scaling gets a bit silly.

Governance, as mentioned above is good as the governors give some pretty decent buffs as well as basic automation if you're not using scripts. Ancients, the second tier religion, is used for scaling and comes online pretty well late-space/early-andromeda - would skip priests for a long while. Storage should be grabbed whenever possible as it's a regular roadblock and the last one gives phage storage bonuses as well for when you eventually swap to 4*.

Those are the only ones you'll likely get to before leaving standard and as always staying above softcap is more important for now. With that said once you do get phage, if you see Content or Tactical pop up in your minor traits from genetics you should spend some phage for one rank of each so it's permanently unlocked.

https://pmotschmann.github.io/Evolve/wiki.html#resources-prestige The calculators for prestige on the wiki are very useful for comparing cost-benefit.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 13, 2022

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

All this Evolve chat is kind of making me want to try it out again -- does it actually have a defined ending like Trimps/Paperclips/NGUI?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nah, just increasingly more difficult prestige tiers that currently culminates in you killing the King of Hell and taking their place or in the Truepath running algorithms too hard and creating a killer AI.

Rynoto posted:

The tiny mission? That one was hell and required so many mass drivers, yeah :shepicide:

Are you doing Heavy? It was the only time I regretted being in that universe.

Nah, running it in Evil because that was where I was doing my last 4* Technophobe. Surfing it with the Seraphs for ??? reasons (I guess because they were the only relatively unique option for the universe). I helped matters inadvertently by using my Small custom race previously. And running with 11000/6000/3100 in the relevant prestige resources (and ~25 in harmony crystals for the cost creep reduction) I guess!

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 14, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I'd sort of consider some of the feats to be 'endings' just for how hard/long they are but there aren't any capstones. Truepath is still being expanded on as a new endgame-type challenge if you want constant progression.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

All this Evolve chat is kind of making me want to try it out again -- does it actually have a defined ending like Trimps/Paperclips/NGUI?

Trimps doesn't have an end, just a content wall that gets pushed back a few times a year.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Trimps doesn't have an end, just a content wall that gets pushed back a few times a year.

I mean, it doesn't have a "YOU WIN! go play something else now" screen like Paperclips or Spaceplan, but it does have a defined end to the storyline once you clear all the Echoes out of the spires, and at that point it's just Number Go Up postgame content; to my mind that qualifies.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In that case Evolve has a bunch of different endings and each one of them is a reset. If you do them all once each that probably counts as "done" by your metric (at least until more Truepath content gets added).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

I mean, it doesn't have a "YOU WIN! go play something else now" screen like Paperclips or Spaceplan, but it does have a defined end to the storyline once you clear all the Echoes out of the spires, and at that point it's just Number Go Up postgame content; to my mind that qualifies.
At this point the "end" of the storyline involves popping over to Universe 2 and undoing all the mess Druopitree left over there. (This is in no small part because going further in Universe 1 would cause the game's internal math to break down.)

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Geez setting up to bioseed is difficult and takes a long time. I'm so close I don't want to stop because of sunk cost, but at the same time I feel like it'd be easier to just nuke everything and get the plasmids.

I wonder if it's my fault for not getting more permanent stuff before I aimed for it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Geez setting up to bioseed is difficult and takes a long time. I'm so close I don't want to stop because of sunk cost, but at the same time I feel like it'd be easier to just nuke everything and get the plasmids.

I wonder if it's my fault for not getting more permanent stuff before I aimed for it.

What's your perks page look like currently? And, you almost certainly are, but just to check -- you're maxed out with at least 250 plasmids stored for the production bonus right?

edit: another thing to double check, have you taken over all the other territories and achieved Unification? That bonus is huge, I skipped it on my first Bioseed (which at least got me an achievement) but it added a lot of extra time

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

goferchan posted:

What's your perks page look like currently? And, you almost certainly are, but just to check -- you're maxed out with at least 250 plasmids stored for the production bonus right?

edit: another thing to double check, have you taken over all the other territories and achieved Unification? That bonus is huge, I skipped it on my first Bioseed (which at least got me an achievement) but it added a lot of extra time

3% General Mastery, Store - Plasmids increase storage by 0.04%, Evolution costs decreased, Crafty - Doubles the rate at which craftsmen work and craftsmen produce 100% more product from the same amount of raw materials, Challenge Genes unlocked and achievements grant a small production bonus, and Evolve Novice.

e: Yes, I've already unified. Currently the Genesis Ship is at 28/100 pieces.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 16, 2022