Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I slapped down a preorder on that Mario Kart course pass, pump that poo poo directly into my veins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I like this opinion less than I like living in a global pandemic

You're sad because I'm right.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

think i'm going to upgrade my online subscription to the online expansion pack when the first wave hits. seems to me nintendo's going to add more and more dlc for their bigger games in the expansion pack, like they've done now with ac and mk. seems reasonable to think they'll do this for botw1/2 and other franchises over the next few years. i could buy each of these individually for $20 or $25, sure. but the price of the expansion pack over the regular online subscription is, what, $30? paying for one game's dlc that's included in the expansion pack already covers a large part of the cost for a year. and if they release two dlc in a year, then well, the expansion pack's cheaper.

plus you have the constant stream of n64 games included.

i don't know, seems worth it to me given where they seem to be going with the expansion pack and its utility.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Xenomrph posted:

I slapped down a preorder on that Mario Kart course pass, pump that poo poo directly into my veins.

:hfive:

Five years baby. Five years.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

abelwingnut posted:

think i'm going to upgrade my online subscription to the online expansion pack when the first wave hits. seems to me nintendo's going to add more and more dlc for their bigger games in the expansion pack, like they've done now with ac and mk. seems reasonable to think they'll do this for botw1/2 and other franchises over the next few years. i could buy each of these individually for $20 or $25, sure. but the price of the expansion pack over the regular online subscription is, what, $30? paying for one game's dlc that's included in the expansion pack already covers a large part of the cost for a year. and if they release two dlc in a year, then well, the expansion pack's cheaper.

plus you have the constant stream of n64 games included.

i don't know, seems worth it to me given where they seem to be going with the expansion pack and its utility.
I considered doing this, but is there a "constant stream" of N64 games? Like, I was looking at the library and there's like 8 games (and most of them I already own on my actual Nintendo64, and the rest I can play with an Everdrive). Yeah I'm missing out on online multiplayer but I only have like 2 friends on the Switch and neither of them have the Expansion Pack to my knowledge. The $20 for the 100ish NES/SNES games is a slam dunk, $50 for 8 N64 games (one of which was already available in the Super Mario 3D All Stars pack) and 19 Genesis games is a hard sell IMO. I'd probably be swayed more if I didn't already have an N64 and a Genesis, or if I played Animal Crossing, so maybe I'm just not the target audience of the expansion pack.

I'm happy to be proven wrong and be given a reason to give Nintendo another $30 of my money though.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 13, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

You're sad because I'm right.

I mean you're right, if you mean KOTOR 1 < KOTOR 2

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

I'm happy to be proven wrong and be given a reason to give Nintendo another $30 of my money though.

you shouldn't need a reason. you disgust me.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I kind of forgot Bowser's fury was a thing and I'm playing it with my nephew as Bowser Jr and this is so fun wtf. I'm abandoning everything else to play this

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

I considered doing this, but is there a "constant stream" of N64 games? Like, I was looking at the library and there's like 8 games (and most of them I already own on my actual Nintendo64, and the rest I can play with an Everdrive). Yeah I'm missing out on online multiplayer but I only have like 2 friends on the Switch and neither of them have the Expansion Pack to my knowledge. The $20 for the 100ish NES/SNES games is a slam dunk, $50 for 8 N64 games (one of which was already available in the Super Mario 3D All Stars pack) and 19 Genesis games is a hard sell IMO. I'd probably be swayed more if I didn't already have an N64 and a Genesis, or if I played Animal Crossing, so maybe I'm just not the target audience of the expansion pack.

they're releasing an n64 game every month, right? and yea, i agree the n64 and genesis games aren't enough to justify the full cost. maybe they give $10 of value each year at best? i'm really mostly banking on a steady stream of dlc for big hits. like i said, i can certainly see some botw-related stuff, maybe some metroid, some strikers and golf additions, plus god knows what else.

and yea, i don't have an n64. maybe i'll get one in a year or two and if they're not too expensive, but i really can't bank on that now.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Anyone on the fence about the price has over a month to get a family plan going before the first wave drops. There's even a thread to organize one with goons that seems like it's been very successful. It comes out to something like $9/year per person for a full group.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I kind of forgot Bowser's fury was a thing and I'm playing it with my nephew as Bowser Jr and this is so fun wtf. I'm abandoning everything else to play this

That game rules! GOTY '21 with ease for me.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

The Postman posted:

Anyone on the fence about the price has over a month to get a family plan going before the first wave drops. There's even a thread to organize one with goons that seems like it's been very successful. It comes out to something like $9/year per person for a full group.

now this is a good idea. thanks!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Aerofallosov posted:

I'm looking forward to Rune Factory 5, so I can farm, tame monsters and hang out with dragons probably, looking at the case.

I lost a lot of respect for when the one where you could marry a female candidate (DS Cute?) and they took it out of the game. Queue bugs. And disappointment.

yea jp ds cute let u date the 4 secret bachelorettes of ds but then for Some Reason the eng ver of ds cute removed that????

also anime owns, much like kirby

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kirby riding on the nimbus, smoking cigarettes with Spike and Sanji, cleaning up the schools with Onizuka, getting into trouble with Dirty Pair, Kirby's anime world tour coming soon

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
the switch has too many freaking games wtf. How am I going to get all these games finished before kirby comes out.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Waltzing Along posted:

This is the good stuff here. Even if it wasn't RR, it would be cool to have the course change lap to lap. It's such a good idea. That a Nintendo Switch is not capable of doing. It could be done on a PS5, though.

Make it happen Nintendo.

Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed had something like half its courses go through variations between laps. Let that developer make a kick rear end Mario Kart or F-Zero Nintendo.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Waltzing Along posted:

This is the good stuff here. Even if it wasn't RR, it would be cool to have the course change lap to lap. It's such a good idea. That a Nintendo Switch is not capable of doing. It could be done on a PS5, though.

Make it happen Nintendo.

Split/Second did something like this with demolitions going off everywhere and it was amazing :okpos:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
breath of fire 2 owns

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I just re-bought the Switch after 4 years without due to moving to Australia. Would a game like Mario party superstars have any online community at this point? Judging by what I've seen on Xbox multiplayer down under I'm guessing no.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Waffle! posted:

Split/Second did something like this with demolitions going off everywhere and it was amazing :okpos:

Split Second owns and it’s a crying shame that the sequel got canned.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Nyko used to make this thing here:

It has a little attachment that you put in the USB C port on a Pro Controller so that you can just drop it in its dock and it’ll start charging.

It’s been discontinued and absolutely no one is selling a used one. I managed to get one for my main Switch eons ago, but I’m in for another now. The only one I can find is the one made by PowerA, but that charges joycons as well. I don’t really want that.

Does anyone know if there is some clone of the above product out there?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Commander Keene posted:

As for Katt, a lot of times melee fighters level up faster than spellcasters in JRPGs, that dates back to the genre's D&D roots, where the Thief class leveled up like greased lightning and the Magic-User class leveled up like glacial drift.

This hypothesis doesn't held track though, seeing as both Rand, Sten and frog prince are all three hybrid melee/magic and all three of them level up at different speeds, with the healer (Rand) being the slowest. Clerics in D&D leveled up blindingly fast compared to that.

Ryu also spits in the face of this idea, as he's mostly melee too and yet levels up slow as gently caress -in his case, because he is in the party constantly.

As for Bow, well true that particular solo section is immediately after his long forced break, but still, the game only gives you very minor "help" when it's Sten turn to go alone. Since you have more playtime inbetween those areas, it's a good hint that the devs thought you would use Sten a lot, since his solo-section can be hard even if you come in prepared.

Edit: Katt leveling up "because melee" is wrong anyhow, considering you can let her cast offensive spells eventually. She is more like some kind of mage/monk hybrid, if we absolutely have to squeeze everything into D&D-terminology

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Leave my wife out of this.

I don't know how I would've managed to ever beat BoF2 as a kid if I didn't have a strategy guide for it. Apparently it was wrong about a lot of things but at least got me through every time I rented the game.

In my case, it helped that I always liked reading and when I started playing electronic "video" games, I also started collecting magazines talking about them.

The old German magazine "Total!" (now defunct) had a nice section where people could send in stuff they found out, and BoFII being a complex JRPG cursed with bad Non-German translation meant a lot of people where always seeking help, or blindly stumbling over stuff.

Considering my own very low English skills at the time, without help of this paper internet I wouldn't have completed the game, either. :v:

BoFII was also weird here in Germany because it didn't come with a strategy guide. A lot of other RPGs (Mystic Quest, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Lufia II, etc.) came in this huge paper monstrosity including their very own German strategy guide over here.

This made Breath of Fire II seem extra-exciting to me at the time, since there wasn't a book spoiling everything immediately right next to the cartridge.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, Ryu levels up slower than most of the other party members to keep him from getting super overleveled compared to them because he always has to be in the party, aside from the times the game forces a solo section on you.

Also lol at Katt being a "hybrid" anything, she has like four super high-level spells that she might have the MP to cast once before needing a refill by the final dungeon. The only way to get around that is to get the right carpenter and cook her a seven-course banquet of stat boosters, then stuff her belly with them. Katt exists to hit things with a big-rear end stick and do it before anyone else goes. That's like the definition of melee.

As for the others, I dunno. I'm sure as hell not saying that BoF2 is a well-balanced game, just suggesting that there might be reasons other than "the devs expected you to love/hate this character" for the exp rates they chose.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Commander Keene posted:

As for the others, I dunno. I'm sure as hell not saying that BoF2 is a well-balanced game, just suggesting that there might be reasons other than "the devs expected you to love/hate this character" for the exp rates they chose.

Sure, but "the devs thought of something" sounds like a more likely explanation then "the devs were just dumb and copied a lot of stuff from the super-smart Armericans"

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I didn't say D&D was particularly well-balanced either.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

its a shame i cant play breaths of fire 3, 4 and 5: dragon quarter on my nintendo switch

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Commander Keene posted:

I didn't say D&D was particularly well-balanced either.

It definitely isn't, even now!

But different classes in old school D&D used to level at different rates?! That is wild. Wtf.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Silver Falcon posted:

But different classes in old school D&D used to level at different rates?! That is wild. Wtf.
Even better; in those editions multi-classing worked differently than it does in later editions, you progressed in all classes at the same time. So it was possible to be a multi-classed Magic-User/Thief and have your Thief class higher level than your MU class, even though you had been both the whole time. Also multi-classing worked differently for humans than for everyone else. Early D&D was a goddamn mess, even compared to modern D&D.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Kinda wacky Chrono Cross is gonna be on Switch before Chrono Trigger.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Nyko used to make this thing here:

Does anyone know if there is some clone of the above product out there?

I was wondering wtf happened with that.. Just yesterday, since my wife has been playing more of her Switch on the TV we figured we'd get another Pro Controller and another Nyko Charge Block Pro and we can't find it anywhere. (I also don't want that PowerA one)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

https://www.ign.com/articles/bayonetta-3-2022-project-gg-platinum-updates

New platinumgames interview, Kamiya says Bayo 3 is still on track for this year.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mia Wasikowska posted:

its a shame i cant play breaths of fire 3, 4 and 5: dragon quarter on my nintendo switch

I've never played them and would love to.

Someday I'll probably have a PS1 with an ODE and Capcom will lose their chance to get money from me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Silver Falcon posted:

First and second edition, yeah. Kotor was the first game to use the third edition ruleset (d20 System) iirc.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I can't believe there are still some people are who actively complaining about the new MK8 DLC and claiming they're just cutting and pasting courses from MKT

https://twitter.com/MatttGFX/status/1491657291610923008
https://twitter.com/BanjDX/status/1491769110291795976

I saw a comparison screenshot of Toad Circut from the DLC and from MK Tour, and they clearly reworked the visuals for MK8.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Thank you for subjecting us to Twitter morons!!!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Thank you for subjecting us to Twitter morons!!!

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Otoh I bet when the tracks come out they will actually be beautiful and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Hot take but if they actually did cut-and-paste tracks from MKT into MK8DX and they looked like garbage, I would still buy them.