Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Glad to see the libs get in on pearl-clutching about rising crime rates. What’s next, a father stealing medicine with a 1000% mark-up for a dying child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ten steaks getting stolen shouldn't make local affiliate news, let alone get airtime on a 24/7, multi-billion dollar news channel.

The fake outrage is exhausting.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I know, constantly raising the steaks like they do is unsustainable

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If crime is so rare that this makes national news, then we should be celebrating.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just love how it's "let get 5 different people talking about this massive crime wave" and give it Enron levels of attention. Hell, this is probably more debate than Enron got for all I know. Or the S&L scandal in the 80's.

How many heads can they comfortably fit in there?

TEN STEAKS, you say? TEN?!?!

Levantine posted:

Ten steaks getting stolen shouldn't make local affiliate news, let alone get airtime on a 24/7, multi-billion dollar news channel.

The fake outrage is exhausting.

RIght? I mean one car getting stolen = how many steaks? And that probably just happened within 5 miles of me in the time it took me to write this

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

BiggerBoat posted:

I just love how it's "let get 5 different people talking about this massive crime wave" and give it Enron levels of attention. Hell, this is probably more debate than Enron got for all I know. Or the S&L scandal in the 80's.

How many heads can they comfortably fit in there?

TEN STEAKS, you say? TEN?!?!

RIght? I mean one car getting stolen = how many steaks? And that probably just happened within 5 miles of me in the time it took me to write this

Do you have any idea how many steaks were stolen in the time you typed this reply?? Why aren't you out there putting a stop to this crime wave, you monster!

Stuff like that is why I've pretty much permanently turned off the news. My life feels measurably better because of it. Every time I see something like this I'm just so grateful I'm not immersed in that weird outrage culture masquerading as "news".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

I know, constantly raising the steaks like they do is unsustainable

:golfclap:
well done

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

You all just don't understand: poor people are stealing steak from our Job Creators when they're supposed to be pulling up those bootstraps for water and plain bread!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

TulliusCicero posted:

Are the South Park dumbasses still espousing 13 year old boy lolberterianism as the pancea to all the world's ills?

Jesus christ give it a rest already

THey've backed down on some of their dumber poo poo (There was an arc recently that was basically "We hosed up about global warming so we're recinding manbearpig") but their basic philosophy is still "Caring about things makes you lame".

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Even with the later manbearpig stuff, they still made Al Gore an rear end in a top hat who cared most about being right and rubbing people's noses in it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

joke on top of a joke

Very rare.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

BiggerBoat posted:

joke on top of a joke

Very rare.

Yeah I would have butchered it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Every time I hear about Trader Joe's my brain just immediately goes to Danny talking about if it was named Traitor Joe's instead.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Cows!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

You got beef with the thread or something?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1492554116534525958?s=20&t=waFkfIgKrnS6UPcVZ6GZqQ

I'm sure this would end well

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Guess it depends on who you mean it would end up well for. For the people that would do a trucker parade in the US, probably? We've seen multiple times now in multiple countries how "protests" by angry white people go untouched while indigenous people who don't want oil in their drinking water or people darker than a paper bag not wanting to get gunned down in the street gets the skull crackin' and propagandizing started.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rand Paul is done in my book. He trying to invite a leftist revolution against capital. He should be summarily executed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pictured: My sympathy for Rand after he was attacked by his neighbor.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dpulex posted:

So the critical drinker is just a racist right wing chud right?

https://twitter.com/lackingsaint/status/1492723783714713605

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

I wonder if he has a problem with Aeowyn from the original trilogy.

The question is rhetorical, I know the answer is yes.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Pictured: My sympathy for Rand after he was attacked by his neighbor.

Wait isn't this Paul in the same group saying that BLM protests were terrorism because they were disrupting cities. What is the difference her....oh.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dpulex posted:

I wonder if he has a problem with Aeowyn from the original trilogy.

The question is rhetorical, I know the answer is yes.

People rightly rip on Tolkien for not included a lot of women or any people of color in his stories but to say that he didn’t have powerful female characters at all is just false.

For example, Luthien fought Sauron at the height of his power and won without getting into that Galadriel was one of the best warriors in middle earth ever.

A beautiful woman in armor with a sword is completely in line with the material.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

They tried this here already. They all hosed off when the cops told them to move along.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Critical Drinker should focus instead of the real crime of the LotR cinematic universe - Bombadil erasure - and not spend so much time on being dumb and crazy

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Murgos posted:

People rightly rip on Tolkien for not included a lot of women or any people of color in his stories but to say that he didn’t have powerful female characters at all is just false.

For example, Luthien fought Sauron at the height of his power and won without getting into that Galadriel was one of the best warriors in middle earth ever.

A beautiful woman in armor with a sword is completely in line with the material.

I was referring to critical drinker being a misogynist, not Tolkien

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political and religious aims...

I think they have a term for that but it slipped my mind.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political and religious aims...

I think they have a term for that but it slipped my mind.

A winning strategy!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Epic High Five posted:

Critical Drinker should focus instead of the real crime of the LotR cinematic universe - Bombadil Barrow-wight erasure - and not spend so much time on being dumb and crazy

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dpulex posted:

I was referring to critical drinker being a misogynist, not Tolkien

Yes, I was providing supporting evidence.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'm surprised the Critical Drinker doesn't think that Amazon losing a billion dollars ISN'T an unalloyed good, regardless of the reason. Oh yeah, right, he hates women too much to see that.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: Wrong thread, I thought I was in TVIV.

Vitruvian Manic fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 14, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vitruvian Manic posted:

More importantly, it is in line with the spirit of the material. Updating and reimagining old mythologies for the modern world in an allegorical manner necessarily involves being informed by modern sensibilities.

Also from the stream of replies to the tweet in question, the character in the picture is supposed to be Galadriel, who, at the time when the show is set, is said to have suited up in full armor multiple times and not only fought in but also LED armies into battle against the forces of evil in The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. All the Tolkien nerds are climbing out of the woodwork to beclown this preformatively drunk doof.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

nine-gear crow posted:

Also from the stream of replies to the tweet in question, the character in the picture is supposed to be Galadriel, who, at the time when the show is set, is said to have suited up in full armor multiple times and not only fought in but also LED armies into battle against the forces of evil in The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. All the Tolkien nerds are climbing out of the woodwork to beclown this preformatively drunk doof.
You don't even have to go to the Silmarilion or Unfinished Tales - Galadriel was kicking rear end in the original LotR

LotR Appendix B posted:

After the fall of the Dark Tower and the passing of Sauron the Shadow was lifted from the hearts of all who opposed him, but fear and despair fell upon his servants and allies. Three times Lórien had been assailed from Dol Guldur, but besides the valour of the elven people of that land, the power that dwelt there was too great for any to overcome, unless Sauron had come there himself. Though grievous harm was done to the fair woods on the borders, the assaults were driven back; and when the Shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and led the host of Lórien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldur, and Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was cleansed.
Galadriel will absolutely use her wizard powers to obliterate your evil necromancer fortress.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Also I guess this is basically Right Wing Media too at this point, but here's a clip of some of the Drinker's frequent collaborators getting confused and audibly upset that the villain of HBO's Peacemaker show is a white supremacist, and that his white supremacy is presented as a bad thing that is used to make the audience dislike him:

https://twitter.com/DomTh3Donkey/status/1492618755175817223

Basically, tell me you're also a white supremacist rear end in a top hat without telling me you're also a white supremacist rear end in a top hat, times five for everyone on that call.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 14, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Murgos posted:

But her armor doesn't prominently feature her breasts so it's political

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I mean White Dragon isn't exactly The Joker or Lex Luthor but he's been a part of DC comics for a while and showed up in a few well known story arcs, most notably as a recurring Suicide Squad antagonist. How do these guys get to call themselves nerds if they fail to recognize characters like that?

I know why, we all know why

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

I honestly don't remember Galadriel having explicitly armored up and gone into any sort of fight in the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales so much as joined the peoples going to war and been in leadership positions during a lot of wars against Morgoth and Sauron. For all that she used her powers to cleanse Dol Guldur after the destruction of the Ring, Celeborn was stated as leading the army.
But she absolutely was called out as very physical and athletic and, before the Noldor declared war on Melkor, more interested in roughhousing with her brothers and male cousins than being a "proper woman" such as it was in Valinor. The name she was known by growing up literally translated as "tomboy." Her of all people out and fighting with sword and armor isn't even a stretch if you go by Tolkien's other presentations of elven women not usually going to war.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I thought nerds were pissed off that there were elves with short hair and/or black. Or lady dwarves that were indistinguishable from the men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm pro-Galadriel