Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Panfilo posted:

At what age would you let your kids wear makeup?

Wearing a lil bit of fun sparkly? Eh, basically whenever they’re not going to hurt themselves with it and only as a special activity (so like…6 or so for costume makeup, earlier if it’s for a stage event or something)

Allowing them to potentially dive into all the baggage and intense, cynical marketing that come with forays into the beauty industry? Ehh probably 13-14, phased in via lipgloss or something.

Having been a teenage girl, I’m a little terrified of navigating the modern beauty marketing landscape with my daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
My 3 year old likes to play with my equipment, especially the brushes and blenders. If she wants to try wearing it someday that's cool, as soon as she can do it without smearing her face all over the furniture.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Full makeup ONLY for Mr Mime cosplay

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I hadn’t really thought about the makeup question before. I wore stage makeup since I was 5 because I was in dance class. I suppose if my kid gets into dance or some other performative sport, she’ll wear it for performing. Otherwise, nail polish and glitter whenever, lipglosses starting around 11, and building up from there with whatever she’s interested in.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Anyone have any tip on how to get a baby (12 weeks) to take a bottle? We're trying to introduce bottle feeding to our baby since her mom has to go back to work in 4 weeks, but it's not been working. She mainly just gums the nipple or plays with it with her tongue and then gets frustrated and/or gags on it. We've tried many different nipples (including fast flow ones) and positions, but none of it seems to be working.

The frustrating thing is that we did some preliminary bottle feeding at 3-4 weeks and she did well then, latching on and drinking a lot. We didn't keep it going since we thought it'd be fine, and now it's coming back to bite us in the rear end.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Parenting Megathread: and now it's coming back to bite us in the rear end.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

wizzardstaff posted:

My 3 year old likes to play with my equipment, especially the brushes and blenders. If she wants to try wearing it someday that's cool, as soon as she can do it without smearing her face all over the furniture.

Hell, I'm 34 and I can barely manage without smearing my face all over the furniture.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Mum!

Yes?

What is your wee wee name?

It doesn’t have a name.

What is your poo name?

No poo name.

What is your fart name?

No name there either.

What is your wee wee fart name?

I don’t know what that is.

It’s when a FART comes out YA VAGINA.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

hallo spacedog posted:

When did everyone's babies drop down to one nap?

About 14 months.

Before 12 months, she rarely skipped a nap and when she did, it was always very disruptive to her sleep schedule that day. After 12 months we started seeing signs of being able/willing to skip the morning nap so we tried just putting her to bed after lunch. Worked fine at that point!

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

femcastra posted:

It’s when a FART comes out YA VAGINA.
I don't think queef entered my vocabulary until I was like 14

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Ogre toddler currently home with a fever. Extra snuggly, gave him some medicine so he's no longer looking dazed.

I recall hearing somewhere that little kids run hotter to start with: is that true or not?

Panfilo posted:

At what age would you let your kids wear makeup?

From my limited experience with my 5yo daughter: when she's moved out and thus not going to take it and smear it on furniture/dust it about in my house.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

citybeatnik posted:

I recall hearing somewhere that little kids run hotter to start with: is that true or not?
No that's dogs.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thanks to everyone for nap advice. She skipped the am one again so I'm just trying to do what I can at this point, haha.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I treat my kids wearing makeup exactly like I would treat facepaint. So some nights they put it on, for fun, or put it on each other so they can take silly pictures. I buy expensive stuff at Nordstrom Rack for super cheap - usually the stuff on sale is really bright and garish and that’s exactly what my kids want.

But just like facepaint, we don’t wear it to school. I’ll let either kid (boy or girl) wear a small amount if we are going out where that I’d wear makeup. We’re talking lip color and maybe a single swipe of shimmer over their eyes. They’re 4 and 7 now but this has been the policy since they were toddlers. My daughter LOVES to decorate her brother, and he LOVES to be bright and sparkly.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

We got the flu (positive for influenza test) from daycare and were out a week and less than two weeks later, we got a cold from daycare (negative for COVID, RSV, influenza). Within two days of returning to daycare from the cold, we got informed someone had a positive COVID test so now they are closed for ten days.

Just convert the daycare into a health care facility or infectious disease lab at this point.

Maybe I’ll be able to actually work in a few months.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

King Hong Kong posted:

Just convert the daycare into a health care facility or infectious disease lab at this point.

I came to the conclusion, soon after putting our oldest in to day care, that day care centers are, in fact, secret CDC research facilities that are bankrolled by parents.

In the last 4 years, I have seen nothing to change my opinion on this.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I dont know how I've been lumped with the Parenting Manager role while I'm meant to be recovering from a c section but I'm loving over it. I'd like to be able to sleep and trust that my toddler will have his teeth brushed and nappies changed before he wets through to his pants without having to explicitly remind all involved or just do it myself.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No that's dogs.

Well now I regret using the clicker i used on my border collie to train him.

Tamarillo posted:

I dont know how I've been lumped with the Parenting Manager role while I'm meant to be recovering from a c section but I'm loving over it. I'd like to be able to sleep and trust that my toddler will have his teeth brushed and nappies changed before he wets through to his pants without having to explicitly remind all involved or just do it myself.

Eeeech. I'm sorry.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Tamarillo posted:

Ummm....wow this sucks. The other parent needs to start being a parent like yesterday.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I'm honestly bamboozled. He's normally excellent, a very functional and involved parent. But since my mum is here to help he's apparently decided she's here to facilitate his ability to play computer games rather than make up the shortfall for things I can't do while I'm less mobile.

I lost my poo poo this morning so hopefully that's the jolt that's needed, but I wish I didn't have to lose my poo poo in the first place.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 12, 2022

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

That’s dumb. When my wife gave birth to our second, I took 2 weeks paternity so I could parent the toddler while we got the newborn situated. (And then 10 weeks more when maternity leave was up because kids need care when mom works.)

The only acceptable times to game/read a book/relax are when all the kids are asleep or during mutually agreed upon break periods (WHICH BOTH PARTNERS SHOULD GET).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Lmao I’m just imaging the insanity that would have taken place if I decided to play video games while my wife is recovering from a c section

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Today is one of those mornings where I'm like "wow, it's gotta be like 1130, this crazy kid needs to go nap" and reality replies "lmao it's 915 you stupid gently caress"

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

To preface, I am not defending his behavior in the slightest, but if his behavior suddenly seems very off or out of character he could be struggling mentally. Dads can get post partum depression, it's sometimes not super obvious, and because of our culture, we are often too stubborn or oblivious to realize what's happening or ask for help.

That's not an excuse and his actions need to change, but it's worth bringing up and discussing. He may just be selfish, misunderstood that your mom coming didn't mean vacation time for him, or dealing with something deeper. Hopefully you guys can discuss what's up, get him helping out again, and get everyone back on the same page.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I did something similar once when the ogre toddler was an ogre newborn i will admit, with online game night. Made the mistake of going "yeah she got this" and taking her at face value when she said i could nerd out with my tabletop group.

Sleep deprivation plus stress leads to folks doing stupid poo poo to alleviate it.

Having a come to jesus moment with him should hopefully help if it's a situation like Douche4Sale describes, particularly if he was previously on the ball. It snapped me out of it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

oh hey, don't mind me, just having sadbrains because while looking for something else I found some videos of my kid when she was The Cutest Age and she'll never be that little again :smith:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

oh hey, don't mind me, just having sadbrains because while looking for something else I found some videos of my kid when she was The Cutest Age and she'll never be that little again :smith:

Putting away the old too small clothes gets to me.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

For me it was it hitting me that my son can easily pick me up, and I probably couldn't even budge him if I tried (he's got over a foot of height on me, and drat near 100 lbs).

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Putting away the old too small clothes gets to me.

I can't do that or get rid of old toys. That falls to the wife, minus the few items I keep and put away for safekeeping.

Times like these reminds of me the day she was born, when my sister said "congrats; one day you'll put her down and never pick her up again". Goddammit.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Times like these reminds of me the day she was born, when my sister said "congrats; one day you'll put her down and never pick her up again". Goddammit.
Sounds like she issued you a challenge.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Dobbs_Head posted:

The only acceptable times to game/read a book/relax are when all the kids are asleep or during mutually agreed upon break periods (WHICH BOTH PARTNERS SHOULD GET).

Yeah 100% this.

Also negotiating structured break time in advance helps a lot with this.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

We’re under a heat advisory this weekend and I still have to argue with my 4 year old that footy pajamas are not the way to go.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

wizzardstaff posted:

Sounds like she issued you a challenge.

my last act on this earth will be to pick her up over my head and yeet her into the street before I collapse back into my coffin

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ugh, little guy pooped overnight for the first time in ages, so now we've got major rash situation today. It's gotten to his scrotum and his penis is a bit red too, aside from normal treatment is there anything else to try? We're considering urgent care tonight if it isn't looking better.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Oh lord I hear you on the absentee husband parenting thing. I have never been so mad in my life as I was when my first was born and he would fall asleep in the middle of the day or be playing a computer game and laughing with his online friends while I was a miserable heap, crying 24/7. I hope it gets better for you. Be sure you’re telling him exactly what you need, don’t assume he will help or anticipate your needs. Being a new parent is so, so hard.

My daughter has recently been into helping me make food. Thought I’d share a recipe for banana bars that’s very forgiving and super easy, my kid loves smashing bananas and stirring things together.

Mix together 3-5 ripe mashed bananas, 3/4c brown sugar, 1/4c oil, 1/4c milk, and 2 eggs. Then add 1 and 3/4c flour, 1tsp baking soda, 1/2tsp salt, 1tsp cinnamon, and stir. Fold in as many chocolate chips as you want. Spread in a greased baking pan and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Yum.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kingtheninja posted:

Ugh, little guy pooped overnight for the first time in ages, so now we've got major rash situation today. It's gotten to his scrotum and his penis is a bit red too, aside from normal treatment is there anything else to try? We're considering urgent care tonight if it isn't looking better.

Just dry it as well as you possibly can then slather butt paste on everything. Urgent care is probably only warranted if it shows signs of infection.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

I’ve never tried anything else and it happened a few times to our little dude, especially when he had a stomach bug that caused almost 2 weeks of diarrhea (ugh).

I’d monitor it and as long as it doesn’t look really raw or bleeding I’m not sure urgent care is necessary, but obviously don’t rely on my advice but rather call your primary and follow their advice if you’re worried.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 13, 2022

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mild baking soda baths + caking on butt paste following drying it off works whenever it happens to our little dude.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Urgent care doc will just tell you if there is a superinfection on top of the rash, so unless the groin area is intensely red they're just going to recommend routine diaper care and butt paste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Put more diaper cream on than you think you need, then put more on. You can't really have too much.

With our second she had frequent stools for a few months and a few weeks after she started day care she developed a rash so bad they simply couldn't change her frequently enough to keep on top of it. I kept her home for a few days just so I could change her immediately after poops.

If you're still unable to get on top of the rash this week see his pediatrician. They may prescribe nystatin if it's a yeast infection that won't go away.