Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

its funny just to scroll through and see all the c-spam gangtags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/gregpmiller/status/1492422784944951305

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

My favorite is the Burnin' Sherman gangtag. Probably the biggest mark that the poster is a dipshit on the whole forums.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ibishblog/status/1492654116027478023

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

My favorite is the Burnin' Sherman gangtag. Probably the biggest mark that the poster is a dipshit on the whole forums.

they get real angry if you laugh about this, he is their hero

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

they get real angry if you laugh about this, he is their hero

They would all have been copperheads in real life.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

doing epic genocides leftistly

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dude, I've been tracking Russian force movements for 3 hours

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Now what have you learned?

he's learned that ukraine is a vibrant democracy, as you can tell from their banning of opposition parties, closure of opposition media, far right paramilitary integration with security services, and attempted suppression of the culture and language of a large proportion of their population.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

doing epic genocides leftistly

Sherman only very reluctantly resorted total war lite after years of conflict stripped him of any sympathy for Confederates. He was more pissed off at the Confederates using landmines than anything to do with the institution of slavery itself.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

That said, I think you can make a case that both the liberals and Marcos in many ways were on the same side since both were rooted in the pre—1965 party system and therefore their real common enemy was always the left (be it electoral or non electoral). In many ways the dictatorship occurred due to the fact that Marcos was so exceptionally brutal in the first place and the “normalization” after 1985 was more about damage control that anything. I mean how much has the social structure of The Philippines changed since 1985?

You're correct. One of the first big lessons my father taught me about politics was that People Power was not a "revolution", but was really more of a coup. Literally none of the political structure underneath Marcos was changed, and even the laws he passed unilaterally as dictator continues to be respected today.

Ardennes posted:

That said, I don’t know how the Philippine business elite has to know by now the writing is on the wall and that China is the real regional hegemony and there is far more money to be made from the BRI than whatever FDI trickles in from the states.

Here's an op-ed from a local liberal pundit scaremongering about how Congress has just passed a measure that further opens up public utilities in the country for ownership by foreign entities: https://www.quezon.ph/2022/02/13/constitution-amended-by-legislation/

I say scaremongering because it's positioned as bad, because they're afraid that it's Chinese companies that are going to be "infiltrating" the Philippines as a result of this new legislation.

Now this person is a pundit and not really speaking from the inside of the business elite, but it's reflective of what you're saying that acceptance of China being better for business is going to require a lot of brain readjustment because we are an extremely propagandized population as far as being pro-Western is. Even our leftists think China is "social fascist".

Ardennes posted:

It doesn’t mean Bongbong is going to be kind to the left but at a certain point he would have to adjust to reality a bit.

unfortunately Bongbong isn't even going to be funny like a Trump presidency

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Atrocious Joe posted:

The US is doing the most damage to Ukraine

We’ve mentioned the Diem Option, could this be as simple as punishing Zelensky for not playing ball?

Ukrainian economy tanks, there’s another Colour Revolution, the US has Their Man in office?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Recognize a few names in there and it explains a lot.

It is always very funny that half of this forum is usa state/intelligence/military and the other half is the future terrorists being groomed by them.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 17:25 on Feb 13, 2022

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Sherman only very reluctantly resorted total war lite after years of conflict stripped him of any sympathy for Confederates. He was more pissed off at the Confederates using landmines than anything to do with the institution of slavery itself.

As evidenced with his vicious racist beliefs about Native Americans and utilizing his civil war exploits to stay in command of forces & initiating conflicts to remove any remaining Native American populations left within the Union and beyond under President Grant

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
foreign ownership of utilities does seem bad whoever it is

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

His approach to the indigenous tribes is ftw

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Much better put than I.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

patriotism is loving stupid
gently caress patriots

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mr Hootington posted:

It is always very funny that half of this forum is usa state/intelligence/military and the other half is the future terrorists being groomed by them.

Well now I’m having a crisis of identity.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nonsense posted:

As evidenced with his vicious racist beliefs about Native Americans and utilizing his civil war exploits to stay in command of forces & initiating conflicts to remove any remaining Native American populations left within the Union and beyond under President Grant

AnimeIsTrash posted:

liberal revisionists love calling the March to the Sea a form of "Total War" even though they mostly just lived off the land and did a lot of property damage. Which wasn't nearly as bad as the kind of total war waged in Europe, which involved a lot of mass rape & murder. The only people Sherman did wage total war on were the natives.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Do it* again Uncle Billy!

*advocating the extermination of the sioux and being instrumental in wiping out the buffalo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The one they have with Stacey Abrams at the end makes me crack up every time.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

liberal revisionists love calling the March to the Sea a form of "Total War" even though they mostly just lived off the land and did a lot of property damage. Which wasn't nearly as bad as the kind of total war waged in Europe, which involved a lot of mass rape & murder. The only people Sherman did wage total war on were the natives.

*fires artillery point blank into nursery* Uncle Billy woulda slugged Rand Paul good!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

foreign ownership of utilities does seem bad whoever it is

I don't disagree, I just find the situation amusing because dropping the protectionist clauses from our Constitution was a popular idea with broad support across the political spectrum... right up until about 2020, when people started opposing it not because of any realization that neoliberalism is bad, but because of "national security" concerns because what if CHYNA buys our power grid or if Dito Telecommunications, with ties to CHINA TELECOMS, starts SPYING ON OUR PHONES THROUGH THE AIRWAVES WITH PLA TECHNOLOGY

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

something awful posters will form the core ofr both the future bolshevik and menshevik parties and thats p cool

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

lol, 'lived off the land' is such a cool dumb person way to describe that campaign

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
me, burning a forest and stealing food from escaped slaves trying to join my army: remember boys we're living off the land

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

lol, 'lived off the land' is such a cool dumb person way to describe that campaign

sexpig by night posted:

me, burning a forest and stealing food from escaped slaves trying to join my army: remember boys we're living off the land

Every time you open up a history book and see armies described as "foraging," this is what that involves.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Well now I’m having a crisis of identity.

that’s my past 15 years. I went from standard dnd style lib in the military and applying (and failing) to get into state, to having it dawn on me in stages that literally everything the good liberal framework predicted would happen in the world did not ever come true. what broke me completely was all the mainline dems suddenly becoming very politically competent when it came to ending any possibility of Medicare for all, mainline liberal press rallying around the far right Bolivia coup, and realizing all those positive incremental progress “everything is getting better in the developing world under capitalism“ metrics only worked if you included china.

I don’t have super coherent politics right now but the contradictions of progressive liberalism basically shattered my mind. it took a while though

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr Hootington posted:

It's really explains a lot and it's so fuckin funny

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

you don't have to have super coherent politics, you just have to be a Marxist-Leninist :twisted:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Best Friends posted:

that’s my past 15 years. I went from standard dnd style lib in the military and applying (and failing) to get into state,

I don’t have super coherent politics right now but the contradictions of progressive liberalism basically shattered my mind. it took a while though

Exactly, down to being encouraged to go into state security. It’s just that being the Shield and Sword of the (Liberal) Party is incredibly dispiriting.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1492822228106285057

dudes rock

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bonk

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

you don't have to have super coherent politics, you just have to be a Marxist-Leninist :twisted:

I need to start reading Marx. on the other hand, reading politics is boring

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Best Friends posted:

reading is good OP

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Best Friends posted:

Marx is fun to read. It can get a bit technical and dry at times and often for long stretches. But there is alot of jokes, poetry and flowery writing that makes it good when you get into it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Best Friends posted:

Actually it's fun and exciting

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Best Friends posted:

Marx does kind of stink to read (at least the translations I’ve read), read Engels and Lenin instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

More US citizens died of covid last month than died in Vietnam. As someone was saying, covid reintroduces camp fever to military campaigns, it’s still late winter, so the US is asking for a repeat of the Crimean War for no discernible reason.

People say that declining empires act in strange ways, but there is no outcome here that doesn’t hasten that decline for the US. Their best case scenario is they are beaten so badly in the field that Russia doesn’t feel the need to use nuclear weapons.

lol the US isn't going to do anything no matter what happens.

Also, according to Rosstat Russia has suffered more excess deaths than the US - in a country with less than half the population! Only a few countries have had worse outcomes per capita from the pandemic. If covid is the weapon that will determine some theoretical war - it's not, but if it was - I wouldn't bet on Putin