Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Maybe when i can fight something more dangerous than a crippled dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I was able to temporarily become friends with the Red Sabres by carving up their faction leader and then bandaging his wounds. They got mad at me again when I carried him off to turn in for the bounty. There's just no pleasing some people.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

My first bounty,i was running away from dogs i think,ran straight into an enemy compound,immediately chased out by a gate guard until i passed him off onto a load of caravan guards who left him unconscious,managed to disguise myself and sneak back into the compound and just picked up the sleeping bounty before walking out.

Good times.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Kenshi: i actually love being body slammed by one dozen perfect wrestlers

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I concur

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Fun fact for those who are like me and enjoy loving around in Kenshi but don't care for the grind: the modding tool that comes with Kenshi can also be used to edit save files. Yeah, it's a bit cheaty, but doing the Rebirth start and blowing up all of the guards with 99 in Martial Arts/Strength/Toughness is so goddamned satisfying!

Editing a save file has a little bit of jank to it (consistent with the rest of the Kenshi experience) but it actually ended up being a little more straight-forward and versatile than I initially expected.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OK, that took an age, but I think I'm done. Is there anything I can do with a captured Cat-Lon? Anything I forgot? Some major lore stash I missed?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I just love the sense of scale in this game,it reminds me of E.Y.E divine cybermancy where the world props are 500% bigger than they need to be.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I just love the sense of scale in this game,it reminds me of E.Y.E divine cybermancy where the world props are 500% bigger than they need to be.

"Hmm, how do we ensure that there is a sense of lost majesty? Of wonders lost and forgotten, never to be remembered? That the player and their companions, be they ever so mighty, are mere gnats of brass and lead standing in the shadows of gilded titans, long fallen, and never to rise again?"

"BIG."

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

BIG SHIP! BIG STACHOO! BEEG SKELLY HAND!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I'm going to wear my enemies faces like a moron party mask, literally

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm going to wear my enemies faces like a moron party mask, literally

I had my first encounter with the skinbandits(?) i assume everyone has had the same situation as me?

Found a building,walked in,immediately greeted by seven robots wearing human skin,but they aren’t hostile,in fact they are quite friendly,offering me a place to stay,all the while mentioning how my skin looks beautiful,then they attack me and put me in a peeler before one of them takes my limbless,skinless body and just carries it around with him.

This game is loving mental.

All done with no voice acting,no camera tricks,no ridiculous cinematic score,brilliant.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
I got kenshi, been walking my 3 guys around with iron ore, but over notices their defense ratings are all miserable. How can I boost that stat? Just get my rear end whooped?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Toughness and melee defense are different but trained more or less identically; from getting hurt in battle. Find some starving bandits with two of your crew, fight them and lose, bring in the third who is hopefully trained in stealth to run over, patch them up, and drag them back home to heal.

Also if you can find a copper deposit, mine from that instead.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Best to train them one at a time, the massive toughness boosts you get for standing up are somewhat negated if you're doing it to help allies

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Azhais posted:

Best to train them one at a time, the massive toughness boosts you get for standing up are somewhat negated if you're doing it to help allies

Yeah toughness boost depends on the ratio of enemies:allies "nearby" so if you're just looking for max stats then yeah, going to Skinner's Roam to fight hobos (and maxing out "NPC squad size" slider) while everyone else runs laps at least one mapchunk away, because the other side of not-getting-your-rear end-kicked is high athletics/stealth.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
For ease of use your first character should probably be the one who is a glass ninja for a while, with insane athletics and stealth who runs away and hides during fights because they have no toughness and you will struggle to get toughness without someone avoiding a total party knock out. Logically one person is going to be a glass character for a while and might as well be a brave Sir Robin sort who can run and hide very well. They'll eventually get buff from hauling people to safety as a bonus. Everyone else gets thrown into the melee with anything that doesn't eat you. You eventually get a posse who can potentially win fights, at which point your glass ninja can start getting fighty in encounters you know you have advantage in.

Hungry bandits tend to solve the ratio problem for you with their group size.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The ninja also helps with the best toughness training, getting your characters eaten

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

silentsnack posted:

Yeah toughness boost depends on the ratio of enemies:allies "nearby" so if you're just looking for max stats then yeah, going to Skinner's Roam to fight hobos (and maxing out "NPC squad size" slider) while everyone else runs laps at least one mapchunk away, because the other side of not-getting-your-rear end-kicked is high athletics/stealth.

I don't think it depends on numbers, I got the biggest increases by being hit by security spiders, only actively fighting one.
IMO the trick to best toughness gain is getting hit while your chest/head/stomach are below 0, but not so much that you end up in recovery coma or dead.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Pyromancer posted:

I don't think it depends on numbers, I got the biggest increases by being hit by security spiders, only actively fighting one.
IMO the trick to best toughness gain is getting hit while your chest/head/stomach are below 0, but not so much that you end up in recovery coma or dead.

There are two general ways to gain toughness. You're talking about the XP gained upon taking damage, it wasn't exactly clear but I was referring to the other one:

When a character recovers from being KO'd, if there are still hostiles around the AI defaults to 'playing dead' like a chump. But if the player gives a move or attack command, it forces them to stand up and they gain toughness XP proportional to how stupidly one-sided of a fight they're jumping back into, while their rear end is already/still mostly-kicked. That's where it helps to get into fights with enemies that will repeatedly clobber but only use blunt weapons, and are very unlikely to leave you mortally wounded.

Also I guess there's the bonus for having your arms crippled/missing, but intentionally getting your dudes dismembered is more an intermediate-level of applied insanity?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

people miss this because other games have trained them to expect this kind of failure to be avoided at all costs, not for the game to reward you because that is how you actually win

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Also because in this game you still have to be really, well, gamey to build it.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

dogstile posted:

Also because in this game you still have to be really, well, gamey to build it.

I constructed a remote standing-up-training facility where the heavily armored trainee is out of range of allies and gets repeatedly KO'd by a robot with a stick

BMan fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 14, 2022

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I know we're likely a decade away, but I think I'm ready for Kenshi 2. I love Kenshi, but performance issues inevitably tank every playthrough.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You gotta import every now and then just for stability.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you've got an Nvidia card this can help a bunch too

https://www.nexusmods.com/kenshi/mods/804

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

I know we're likely a decade away, but I think I'm ready for Kenshi 2. I love Kenshi, but performance issues inevitably tank every playthrough.

this is a mod that removes a lot of the clutter objects like the big scatterings of gravel, and was what finally made the game runnable for me even with shadows enabled:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1680569822

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I just got Kenshi and best thing I can say about it is that Conan would fit right in this world. More than any game I have ever played (and despite the setting being post apocalyptic rather than fantasy) this setting feels like Robert E Howard's Hyborian Age.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

side_burned posted:

I just got Kenshi and best thing I can say about it is that Conan would fit right in this world. More than any game I have ever played (and despite the setting being post apocalyptic rather than fantasy) this setting feels like Robert E Howard's Hyborian Age.

:same: i really want a conan world mod and a feudal japan one.

Mostly i just want better locations to build in.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

This game has extreme Morrowind visual vibes and that's a very very good thing

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hyboria was post-apocalyptic IIRC. Atlantis and all. It was a theme that humans went through cycles of civilization and barbarism.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Can you install mods with the gog version?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, but integrated Steam Workshop support has been working more or less fine.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Hoo boy stealing is so very, very broken in this game. Just stand under a guy, loot everything from his store, telekinetically deposit it in the pack animal waiting outside so you don’t get weighed down. Rinse repeat.

Also for some reason the endgame shop in BDC doesn’t care if I pick their locks even though I’m fully visible, and I’m so loving fast I can steal things and run away before they “see” me so the alarm doesn’t get raised. :v:

Feels like you need to not steal stuff if you don’t want to trivialize the money/equipment aspect of the game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah. Assassination is pretty broken too. Both stealing and assassination just need some fundamental changes I hope they work out for Kenshi 2.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Any recommendations on mods/settings for better performance? My 1080 is crying

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

this one was the biggest, maybe in combination with a couple of other clutter removal mods

Flesh Forge posted:

this is a mod that removes a lot of the clutter objects like the big scatterings of gravel, and was what finally made the game runnable for me even with shadows enabled:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1680569822

the only mechanic downside is a couple of mining resource nodes also disappear but I only noticed that in like two places

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Biggest performance boost I've gotten is running it off a SSD.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well yeah SSD drives are pretty tremendous for any game tech that has to load stuff from disk periodically.
if your performance problems are like "I get near Admag or Sho Batai and my FPS gets very bad" then that de-clutter mod may help you, the render engine does not do well with really large amounts of the little gritty gravel poo poo

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Declutter mod plus compressed textures. Sounds like it'd make the game look way worse, but it doesn't, really. What beauty there is in Kenshi comes through from design.